Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Island Games can be summed up in one word: boring :/
Aside from the TNT feature, there isn't a single thing in this game that we haven't seen before, and that is really disappointing. The 'islands in the sky' gimmick is taken from every other game on the server, the ore mining is taken from UHC, and the whole game just feels really reminiscent of EggWars. Everything feels slow, from mining to bridging, from killing players who have iron armour, to bridging again.

Below are my thoughts on how to make this game better.

Incentive
Let's start with achievements and leaderboards...There aren't any. Players have no reason to play the objective (other than to end their boredom) because their wins are meaningless and cannot be compared to the best players the server has to offer. They also have no side-objectives to strive towards that could give them something else to do. Kills don't award anything, not even one measly point! I know that this is a 'BETA' game, but honestly, it feels as though they just threw that label on it yesterday to excuse the lack of content. This is the first change that should be done, for it has long-since become the standard for "Cubecraft's games" (heh) to have these features.

-Award one point for killing another player
-Award two experience for killing another player
-Award five points for every ten kills without dying
-Award fifteen experience for every ten kills without dying

Leaderboards

There should be two leaderboards for this game: one for the number of towers destroyed, and one for kills. Why not wins? Well, because you could end up doing all the work for your team, and still end up losing. This game is fairly difficult to understand after all, especially to le noobs. Not to mention that everybody on your team would get a win, yes all nineteen of them, despite you having done all the work.

Achievement suggestions

Name: The bigger they are...
Requirement: Kill fifteen players without dying
Reward: 200 experience, 1 cubelet

Name: The harder they fall.
Requirement: Kill a player who is on a fifteen+ kill-streak

Name: The castle crumbles
Requirement: Blow up both enemy towers in one game
Reward: 150 experience, 50 points

Name: Hasty detonator
Requirement: Blow up an enemy tower within 90 seconds of the game starting
Reward: 150 experience

Name: True challenge
Requirement: Win the game by earning the tier 6 kill-streak
Reward: 2,000 experience, 1,000 points, 3 cubelets

Name: Fragile fortress
Requirement: Lose the game within three minutes
Reward: 50 points, 1 bag of sympathy

Name: Master of Disguise
Requirement: Equip a set of the other team's armour
Reward: 100 experience

Name: Castle construction
Requirement: Place 372 blocks in one game
Reward: 200 experience

Name: Nomad
Requirement: Run 5,000 blocks in one game
Reward: 300 experience, 100 points

Name: Indestructible!
Requirement: Survive for thirty minutes
Reward: 350 experience, 2 cubelets

This is too bare-bones
There is absolutely nothing to do, aside from killing players and going for the objective. I propose adding kill-streaks, something that players have requested for many different games in the past. It was added to Paintball, though was very unrewarding since all you would get is a grenade.

Currently, you only receive leather armour upon spawning, with the ability to mine for iron armour be that you're willing to spend 30 seconds doing so. Mining is the most boring activity in Minecraft, so the fact that it's the only way to get better gear is disappointing. Perhaps this could work a bit better:

Note: You may select up to four kill-streak rewards, but only one per tier

Tier 1: Three kill-streak (default)
-Sharpness I iron sword
-Protection I chestplate

Tier 1: Three kill-streak (300 points)
-Power I bow
-16 arrows

-Protection I iron platelegs
-Protection I iron chestplate

Tier 2: Five kill-streak (default)
-Protection II iron chestplate
-16 blocks

Tier 2: Five kill-streak (500 points)
-Sharpness I diamond sword
-Protection II iron platelegs

-Power II bow
-12 arrows

Tier 3: Seven kill-streak (default)
-Sharpness II diamond sword
-Protection II diamond chestplate

Tier 3: Seven kill-streak (700 points)
-Protection II diamond platelegs

-Speed I potion (3:00)
-32 blocks

Tier 4: Ten kill-streak (1,000 points)
-Sharpness III diamond sword

Tier 5: Fifteen kill-streak (100 wins)
-Protection II diamond boots
-Protection II diamond helmet

-Punch I, Infinity I bow
-1 arrow

Tier 6: Thirty kill-streak (250 wins)
-Wins the game for your team

More information in the lobby
All the lobby currently tells us, is to destroy the enemy castle whilst protecting our own. Nowhere does it mention where TNT spawns, how TNT works, how you are supposed to protect your castle and whether placing blocks on your beacon will protect it, or even that the beacons are what you're supposed to destroy. If players know what it is that they're supposed to be defending, then they'll probably end up having a lot more fun c:

More blocks
I reckon we should be able to either mine or earn different blocks, say obsidian, which can be used to protect our castles. Perhaps for every third kill we get without dying, we receive a piece of obsidian. This obsidian can then be used to shield our vulnerable towers. Maybe there are obsidian mines deep below our castles, which can be broken and then moved inside our towers.

Remove fall damage

2017-09-08_15.43.55.png

"Attack from the sky!" Lol, I'm sure diving from 200 blocks in the air will catch them by surprise!

At the top of your castle you'll find this angry-looking fellow, who implies that you should bridge across from where he's standing. The only problem, is that you do not spawn in with enough blocks to be able to bridge to the safe horizon, and simply jumping down means certain death. Why not reward those who find this high-point, which takes forever to climb to? Removing fall damage won't really change the ground gameplay in any way, but will allow players to make diving points at the top of the map. This would add a lot of strategy, for you could take a much safer but slower sky bridge, and fall into combat.

Please get us out of the sky already!
I get that it's 'Island Games', but why can't that mean an island in the ocean or something? Please do something more unique with this game, it's so stale! It feels exactly like every other game on the server, and the reason I believe, is because of the sky gimmick. Nobody likes having to waste time bridging, nor do they find it pleasing to be hit off the map and losing a fight that they would otherwise have won. If they wanted to do that, they'd just play Skywars or Eggwars. It's also really awkward to fight people when they're four blocks above you, because they decided to bridge upwards to avoid being hit into the void when building.

Imagine spawning in on an island in the middle of the ocean, the boots that you spawn with having crazy Depth Strider or Frost Walker on them. You would be able to swim/run to the enemy castle, which could be this gigantic sandcastle beside a palm tree on an otherwise deserted island. THAT. WOULD. BE. AWESOME. The TNT could reside atop the shells of sea turtles or manta rays, and the weapons of choice could be highly damaging shovels, thereby giving us something different instead of "Eggwars but you instantly lose if your eggs break". Just try it for one map, and if it works out, then do it again. If it flops, then stick to the sky.

Add spawn protection
Allow me to explain to you all why this is needed:
2017-09-08_16.02.57.png

Would you like me to explain it to you again? Lmao, we were trying to make the enemy team leave because the TNT and timer were broken.

Thnx for reading x

As for what I enjoy about the game, I love how there are going to be two other games coming soon. I'm not sure whether they're also going to be in BETA, but if so, please establish this before the game is released, or at least before you add a count-down to its release. I feel this particular game was greatly over-hyped for what it ended up being; an unfinished game that we've all seen before.

I also love how many players the game can support (20v20) :o

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
Aside from the TNT feature, there isn't a single thing in this game that we haven't seen before, and that is really disappointing. The 'islands in the sky' gimmick is taken from every other game on the server, the ore mining is taken from UHC, and the whole game just feels really reminiscent of EggWars. Everything feels slow, from mining to bridging, from killing players who have iron armour, to bridging again.

Incentive
Let's start with achievements and leaderboards...There aren't any. Players have no reason to play the objective (other than to end their boredom) because their wins are meaningless and cannot be compared to the best players the server has to offer. They also have no side-objectives to strive towards that could give them something else to do. Kills don't award anything, not even one measly point! I know that this is a 'BETA' game, but honestly, it feels as though they just threw that label on it yesterday to excuse the lack of content. This is the first change that should be done, for it has long-since become the standard for "Cubecraft's games" (heh) to have these features.

Leaderboards

There should be two leaderboards for this game: one for the number of towers destroyed, and one for kills. Why not wins? Well, because you could end up doing all the work for your team, and still end up losing. This game is fairly difficult to understand after all, especially to le noobs. Not to mention that everybody on your team would get a win, yes all nineteen of them, despite you having done all the work.

Achievement suggestions

This is too bare-bones
There is absolutely nothing to do, aside from killing players and going for the objective. I propose adding kill-streaks, something that players have requested for many different games in the past. It was added to Paintball, though was very unrewarding since all you would get is a grenade.

Currently, you only receive leather armour upon spawning, with the ability to mine for iron armour be that you're willing to spend 30 seconds doing so. Mining is the most boring activity in Minecraft, so the fact that it's the only way to get better gear is disappointing. Perhaps this could work a bit better:

-Sharpness I iron sword
-Protection I chestplate

-Power I bow
-16 arrows

-16 blocks

-Power II bow
-12 arrows

-32 blocks

-Punch I, Infinity I bow
-1 arrow

-
Wins the game for your team

All the lobby currently tells us, is to destroy the enemy castle whilst protecting our own. Nowhere does it mention where TNT spawns, how TNT works, how you are supposed to protect your castle and whether placing blocks on your beacon will protect it, or even that the beacons are what you're supposed to destroy. If players know what it is that they're supposed to be defending, then they'll probably end up having a lot more fun c:

More blocks
I reckon we should be able to either mine or earn different blocks, say obsidian, which can be used to protect our castles. Perhaps for every third kill we get without dying, we receive a piece of obsidian. This obsidian can then be used to shield our vulnerable towers. Maybe there are obsidian mines deep below our castles, which can be broken and then moved inside our towers.

Remove fall damage

View attachment 137255

"Attack from the sky!" Lol, I'm sure diving from 200 blocks in the air will catch them by surprise!

At the top of your castle you'll find this angry-looking fellow, who implies that you should bridge across from where he's standing. The only problem, is that you do not spawn in with enough blocks to be able to bridge to the safe horizon, and simply jumping down means certain death. Why not reward those who find this high-point, which takes forever to climb to? Removing fall damage won't really change the ground gameplay in any way, but will allow players to make diving points at the top of the map. This would add a lot of strategy, for you could take a much safer but slower sky bridge, and fall into combat.

I get that it's 'Island Games', but why can't that mean an island in the ocean or something? Please do something more unique with this game, it's so stale! It feels exactly like every other game on the server, and the reason I believe, is because of the sky gimmick. Nobody likes having to waste time bridging, nor do they find it pleasing to be hit off the map and losing a fight that they would otherwise have won. If they wanted to do that, they'd just play Skywars or Eggwars. It's also really awkward to fight people when they're four blocks above you, because they decided to bridge upwards to avoid being hit into the void when building.

Imagine spawning in on an island in the middle of the ocean, the boots that you spawn with having crazy Depth Strider or Frost Walker on them. You would be able to swim/run to the enemy castle, which could be this gigantic sandcastle beside a palm tree on an otherwise deserted island. THAT. WOULD. BE. AWESOME. The TNT could reside atop the shells of sea turtles or manta rays, and the weapons of choice could be highly damaging shovels, thereby giving us something different instead of "Eggwars but you instantly lose if your eggs break". Just try it for one map, and if it works out, then do it again. If it flops, then stick to the sky.

Add spawn protection
View attachment 137256
Would you like me to explain it to you again? Lmao, we were trying to make the enemy team leave because the TNT and timer were broken.

Thnx for reading x

As for what I enjoy about the game, I love how there are going to be two other games coming soon. I'm not sure whether they're also going to be in BETA, but if so, please establish this before the game is released, or at least before you add a count-down to its release. I feel this particular game was greatly over-hyped for what it ended up being; an unfinished game that we've all seen before.

I also love how many players the game can support (20v20) :eek:

No need to disrespect but play it more. I mean you cirisizing a game that released hours ago is really dumb.
We can build up a general opinion but your list of rants or things you want are really not good enough except spawn protection. No I like the sky we have a couple of games on land and its good enough...

But I must say I appreciate you bringing this all up and takeing the time to do so so A++ :D

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
No need to disrespect but play it more. I mean you cirisizing a game that released hours ago is really dumb.
We can build up a general opinion but your list of rants or things you want are really not good enough except spawn protection. No I like the sky we have a couple of games on land and its good enough...

But I must say I appreciate you bringing this all up and takeing the time to do so so A++ :D
It may have been released only hours ago, but the game is simply uninteresting. It consists of mining for iron armour, killing other players, and rushing against the current of twenty enemy players who have equally mundane gear whilst being highlighted to them in the colour of your team. There really isn't anything new that it offers, and it's missing vital features that have been the standard for Cubecraft's games since early 2015. :/

The process of bridging to middle and competing for iron against nineteen other players, takes an unnecessarily long time. Also, everybody has the exact same gear. I'm not sure whether kits are already planned or not though.

Reactions: _The13thDoctor_

iLoveYouu

Forum Veteran
Oct 18, 2015

His criticism is constructive though.

Jul 23, 2017
the moon
I heavily agree on th

Incentive

Leaderboards

Achievement suggestions

This is too bare-bones

-Sharpness I iron sword
-Protection I chestplate

-Power I bow
-16 arrows

-16 blocks

-Power II bow
-12 arrows

-32 blocks

-Punch I, Infinity I bow
-1 arrow

-
Wins the game for your team

More blocks

Remove fall damage

2017-09-08_15-43-55-png.137255

Add spawn protection
2017-09-08_16-02-57-png.137256

Thnx for reading x

I also love how many players the game can support (20v20) :eek:
I heavily agree on this, i thought it would be more fun. But i got a little dissapointed

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
It may have been released only hours ago, but the game is simply uninteresting. It consists of mining for iron armour, killing other players, and rushing against the current of twenty enemy players who have equally mundane gear whilst being highlighted to them in the colour of your team. There really isn't anything new that it offers, and it's missing vital features that have been the standard for Cubecraft's games since early 2015. :/

The process of bridging to middle and competing for iron against nineteen other players, takes an unnecessarily long time. Also, everybody has the exact same gear. I'm not sure whether kits are already planned or not though.

His criticism is constructive though.

I just played one round and it sucks.
Its so laggy... The concept is really stupid... Its not tnt wars or whatever conciderting THERES NO TNT?!!!!!!!
And in general there is alot wrong...

N

Nikboo

Its so laggy... The concept is really stupid... Its not tnt wars or whatever conciderting THERES NO TNT?!!!!!!!

Lol, make up you're mind.
Don't make dumb comments if you're going to contradict them literally the reply after.

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
I'm not sure whether they're also going to be in BETA, but if so, please establish this before the game is released, or at least before you add a count-down to its release.
This. Having a public testing phase for a game is a great idea, but you should make it obvious to everyone that it is a testing phase. Don't add a countdown to the release of the game and call it a beta after that. Best would probably be to require the player to acknowledge that it is a beta somehow, either by typing something in the chat or clicking an item before they can play. That way people won't expect a working game.

I guess not having a leaderboard and achievements during the testing phase makes sense, game mechanics will change and the chance of exploitable bugs is high. Alternatively they could reset all stats after the actual release, but that would require everybody to actually know about it.

Definitely. I only played one game yet, that was before the official thread was posted. The game is not very intuitive. I'm still not sure why some of the things happened and if they were all intended or not. The game was so laggy that I decided not to play again. Generally I think all mechanics for every game should be stated in the corresponding game lobby if they differ from the vanilla minecraft mechanics.

Reactions: Sophie

hub3rt

Feb 3, 2017
Replying to @Snap

We will definitely be adding achievements and leaderboards in the near future - It was never a lack of time thing as you suggest, and more of a "How much do we invest into a game if we're testing the water" - The feedback we're getting is positive for the game, there are definitely many improvements to be made, but thats part of it being BETA. We're going to be launching three new games over three weeks, all as BETAs, gathering feedback and working and improving them if you the players like them.

In terms of achievements I think we will be adding less kill related ones and some more interesting achievements, for example something like "Sneak Attack" if you manage to get to destroy tower without being hit once by an enemy etc. "Landscape modeller" if you place a piece of TNT on every centre island and let it blow a hole in each one in one game. We're working on them, they'll definitely be a couple of kill based ones but we want some other fun aspects to achievements.

I agree spawn protection needs to be a thing, we noticed this in our own game play and from feedback in the past couple of hours. We're working on that!

Instructions are another thing we'll be working on, possibly a tutorial like TD - If you have any suggestions for if this would be best as information on a board or an interactive guide, let me know.

The biggest thing here was to gain some feedback and test some ideas on the three different games that are launching over the next three weeks, see what you guys like, what you don't like and how to make things better! We're aware of the lag issues some players are also facing, and it's something we're working on.

In the end, all 3 games might be pulled and a better one made out of the parts of the others, or we'll keep them and keep improving them! Its down to the community and how things go.

@zShauna I'm not really sure how you're not finding the TNT? Its on the centre island and has three spawn points for you to grab the TNT from. Two on the floor and one up the stairs in the tower. They do take time to spawn if someone has already grabbed them.

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
Lol, make up you're mind.
Don't make dumb comments if you're going to contradict them literally the reply after.

Im not makeing dumb comments and I dont appricate you being rude.

I said nice thread and tbh yeah there is alot of lag and the game is kind of strange.

Oh and yeah @hub3rt I found them finnaly but it is so laggy I just crashed so :/

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
YES PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF CUBECRAFT.

Right now it's too generic, after a while will just die out because there isn't anything special to it.
Doing this on water will not only make it a lot more original, but also a lot more interesting, and I think that has a larger chance of hooking players to the new game than the generic way it is right now.

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him

Right now it's too generic, after a while will just die out because there isn't anything special to it.
Doing this on water will not only make it a lot more original, but also a lot more interesting, and I think that has a larger chance of hooking players to the new game than the generic way it is right now.

Exactly... I sort-of like the idea though. And wish they would update it soon with something even better.

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015

Why not have maps on the water and sky? That way both kinds of players will be pleased.

Reactions: MimicPanda

GeldHaftige

Dedicated Member
May 4, 2017
Belgium

I said nice thread and tbh yeah there is alot of lag and the game is kind of strange.

Oh and yeah @hub3rt I found them finnaly but it is so laggy I just crashed so :/
@hub3rt had said that he will fix the lagg. A game can't be perfect on the first time that it is released. Give it the time and it will become anmazing.

@Snap <3!! Awesome work that you have spent for making this Awesome suggestion. I agree with all!

N

Nikboo

There's something called constructive criticism and opinions.
In my opinion, your post is dumb and not well thought over. I never offended you by saying you are dumb or anything like that however, what you've written just doesn't make sense. Not rude at all.

My friend, if you really think these forums are for those who can't handle criticism, then I wouldn't suggest staying on here. (Not saying this in a rude way but these forums are completely people bouncing ideas off of each other and discussing stuff. Sometimes there are people who are going to say that your post isn't really well thought over since it may be the truth.)

Plus, may I also note the hypocrisy here? You're basically calling Snap's post dumb and you then consider my own post as rude when I call your post dumb?
In general, both of your posts are dumb and they completely contradict themselves. Please actually find an opinion and stick with it instead of changing it and bashing on other people about it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
There's something called constructive criticism and opinions.
In my opinion, your post is dumb and not well thought over. I never offended you by saying you are dumb or anything like that however, what you've written just doesn't make sense. Not rude at all.

Sweetie, if you really think these forums are for those who can't handle criticism, then I wouldn't suggest staying on here. (Not in a rude way but these forums are completely people building ideas off of each other and discussing stuff. Sometimes there are people who are going to say that your post isn't really well thought over since it may be the truth.)

Well thats your opinion if my post is "dumb" but @Snap soory ;(
And @Nikoshka may I ask why I cant change my opinion?

I said that it was kind of too soon. (I may have done it the wrong way...) But I mean give it time devolpe some ideas and work with it. Now that I looked it over a bit more I agree with SOME of the suggestions. Like: Achivements and Spawn Timer. As you said its a "fourms". I didnt say her ideas was awful. As I wrote a second message to explain... (And I apologize if I did). Im just saying its not time for one of these and lets let the other games release and any updates come out befor we get into bigger issues! :D

(Except Lag :mad: )

Plus befor you start judeing me for litteraly changeing my opinion... You right now are kind of being rude. First off NEVER.EVER.CALL.ME."SWEETIE"
Second: I can handel critisim I dont understand what you are going on about. I take critisim reguardless of who it is. But the way some of you people go about doing it is kind of disrespectful. And it gets me kind of mad. But its not like I ignore your posts. Actuall I prefer negitive posts so I can figure out what I need to improve on. Some people dont understand that.

Replying to @Snap

In the end, all 3 games might be pulled and a better one made out of the parts of the others, or we'll keep them and keep improving them! Its down to the community and how things go.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

@zShauna I'm not really sure how you're not finding the TNT? Its on the centre island and has three spawn points for you to grab the TNT from. Two on the floor and one up the stairs in the tower. They do take time to spawn if someone has already grabbed them.

Yeah figured it out... Thanks though!

orangedevil89

Jan 22, 2017
It feels too fast paced for a 20v20 game, the longest game I've seen is 10 minuites. I would like to see a change to the TNT mechanics, maybe it could be changed so that the TNT holder would have to stand on the beacon for a period of time before the castle blew up, which would encourage teamwork, as the holder would have to be defended in order for the castle to blow up. I also don't like how the TNT holder gets a pickaxe, so they can basically destroy a wall in a single break. I'd prefer this game if it was slower paced and encouraged more teamwork.

Anyway, I like your thinking, this game does seem like the crazy abomination of many existing games mixed together. However, I'm not a big fan of killstreak rewards, as the better players have even more of an edge over the not as skilled ones. Still, it's a good idea.

B

Britney Spears

Haven't played it nor checked it out, but it's a replacement for Blockband, how bad could it be?

I might check it out later.

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

AnolTongi wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy birthday!!
Xi1m wrote on caraMel's profile.
i really like chocolate, do you?
caraMel wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ✨
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
marshduck11 wrote on Livvv's profile.
The first sentence said "sometimes life does't give you what you want" the second one is incomplete so far only saying "not because you don't" I'm excited to see what the last sentence says!
Top Bottom