Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

RPoule

Dedicated Member
Jan 13, 2016
Netherlands
In eggwars you'll find yourself running over bridges very often, or at least I hope so as it's one of the main aspects from the game and you are most certainly missing out on the fun experiencable in eggwars when you stay on your island 24/7.

As (almost) everybody crosses bridges to attack others or full back to their own islands its not uncommon that 2 opposing teams meet on a bridge, usually this is a 1v1 but its also very possible for 2 entire teams to meet on a 1 block wide bridge spreading over the void (I've seen it happen in magic, at the beginning of the game where everybody rushes to the nearest island).

I find these encounters one of the most fun aspect of the game as you must be really cautious with every single thing you do, except running away and leaving the fight that is.

All your moves will have to be planned out to take as little risk as you can, of course you could just run at each other and start slamming away but that'll give your opponent the chance to suicide off the bridge and taking you with him.
In this thread I'll be going over some of the things I do when in a bridge encounter and how to perform the strategies as best as possible.

Strat 1. The cheaty strat
I decided to list this one first as it takes the least risk out of all of them, however it doesn't work all of the time. I actually went over this in a different thread in which I explained how to perform the strat in detail. I'll briefly explain how it works.
You'll have to start this when there is still a bit of distance in between you and your opponent as it takes a bit of time to set up. You want to mine a block from the bridge in front of you and place a block on top of the one in front of the mined block:
fase-1-brug-1-png.134722

This image comes from a different thread

The moment your opponent jumps over the gap you place a second block on top of the previously placed block, forming a 2 block high wall which is impossible to jump over unless your opponent has jumpboost. Therefor the player will fall back down (All praise our biggest enemy and friend, frienemy, gravity) into the gap you mined out.
This strat does not work all the time as some players are cautious about the 1 block gap and might close it off. Dont worry, there are more ways to deal with him :)

Strat 2. Spleef flash
Yet another ''coward-ish'' strategy but pretty risk-free as its easy to get back into fighting position were this strat to fail. You might take one hit of damage were it to work out and otherwise you'll have to proceed to yet another strat :D.
Spleefing players is a common used strategy, however not performed ultimately 99% of the time. All you need is a good pickaxe, preferably one that can insta-mine.
You want to walk up to your opponent with your sword in your hand, the main goal is to try to get your opponent to chase you so it might be a good idea to take of some armour, just to make you seem more vulnerable. Maybe hit your opponent once or twice to get his full attention and make him want to kill you. Then you run away, make sure to not run full speed as he'll have to catch up to you. Keep holding your sword in your hand if he were to see it, you don't want him to see that gorgeous pickaxe you have ready for him. If he's about 2 - 4 blocks away for you, suddenly stop running and mine as many blocks in front of you as you can. Then you'll have to hope that he made one final jump or sprint before falling to his death. If he didn't fall you'll have time to quickly put on your gear back again and get ready for your next attempt at killing your opponent.

Please note: Many players find spleefing cowardish and noobish, its everything but that. It's actually not easy at all to pull this off, yea sure, standing on a bridge with a pickaxe ready to mine blocks whenever someone crosses the bridge isn't the smartest thing to do, but at least it'll hold your opponents off from your bridge and therefor your egg.

Strat 3. The eggrusher
A lot of us who get into a bridge fight don't really want to fight at all, what if you just want to cross the bridge to quickly kill the egg? Simple :), here's how to do it:

First things first, you dont want to risk getting hit off or hit back, after all you want to kill their egg ASAP. Thats why you're gonna build up into the air, a beautiful place where no one can get you.
However, you do not want to risk anything, such as getting hit back. That's why you're going to build a little protection wall in the beginning. I'll explain via screenshots:

Step 1: Place down 2 blocks in front of you:
Bridge tech 1.png

This can be done really fast and will set you up for what you're going to do later to block your opponent from hitting you.

Step 2: Start a pole on the block behind your little wall
Bridge tech 2.png

Place down a block on the wall the moment you get into the next y-level. That way your opponent can not hit you off your pole, he can mine underneath but by the time hes done with that you're already up enough blocks for him to be unable to spleef you down. Just keep building up the wall untill its about 4 blocks high, you should be good by then.

Step 3: Bridge a tiny bit
Bridge tech 3.png

You'll just have to build over a few ammount of blocks to make sure you'll get enough distance in between you and him when you make the jump... jump?

Step 4: Jump!! :D
Bridge tech 4.png

By far the most fun part of this move, is to completely stun your opponent by flashing ém hard and jumping over their heads, straight towards their egg, soon to be destroyed :D. I often find my opponents still flabergasted on the bridge when I run back towards it to kill them off.

''But Ruben, what if they decide to build up themselves too?''

The solution to that is just as fun as jumping over them :D, the moment you see them building up a couple of blocks away from you, keep on building. When they're up high enough. Just jump down and mine through their pole, off you go, straight for their egg :D

Bridge tech 5.png

You'll often find your opponents just as stunned as they would be if they didnt build up and you would've jumped over them..

NOTE: The best way to counter this attack (if someone used this on you) is by pillaring up, just like I showed in the last example. Ima go into more detail on how to defeat nerd poling in a different thread, coming soon tm. Just be cautious about them jumping down, its easy to spot, but easy to miss.

Strat 4. Man to man
This is probably what most people do on bridges, they'll just run at each other and start fighting. If you decide to do so, please keep the following things in mind.

-Axes
Never rule out the axes, yes they're quite beatable when you have room to strafe and bounce around. But on bridges you don't, actually, bridge fights are quite optimal for axe fighters. You'll find people back off more on bridges and there is less room to dodge axes. Perfect :)

-Shiftkey
Always shift a few moments after you hit, or if you have good reflections, shift right after their hit. They might try to get sneaky and shift a bit to the edge of the block in hopes of hitting you off. Strangely enough, in bridge fights it often happens that the hits land right after each other. So if you shift after you hit your opponent, chances are you'll block their ''hit-you-off-try''.

-Counter suicidals
Often, people will just run at you without any gear. Those are the easiest to beat you might think? Absolutely not, it's a really strong strategy to run around naked in eggwars. Some of us have seen that in perfect action in the 3d community games, @komododragon 2002 showed us how to suicide like a real man.
What these naked players do is run at you on a bridge and jump off right before you can land the first hit, then, in mid-air, they'll try to hit you from the side, causing you to fall off. If you see a naked man running at you on a bridge, please do not engage, stay back and maybe even try to get back to the island you came from. If you have no other option than to fight, hit once and back off immediately. Those mid-air hits are quite hard to pull off when your opponent keeps backing off.

If your opponent managed to get close enough and is in the air, you're going to have to take a risk. Run straight towards them, if they hit you. The knockack and your moving force will almost cancel each other out and you will stay allive, if however they missed. You'll just run off the edge -.-...

''Why do you not have to worry about people suddenly performing this move while in full gear''
Because people are naive, if they're losing the fight chances are theyll actually keep on fighting, some of them will run away but almost none think about killing themselves, because they were dead anyways but taking you with them.

-Try to use some of the other strats mentioned earlier in this thread
You can always try to quickly spleef them or quickly build a trap. Even building up is an option, it'll make a pole that blocks their exit, and if you jump down on the other side of the pole, your opponent is trapped. Easy spleef kill :)

Strat 5. Run boi run
At the beginning of this thread I said that running away from a bridge fight is not considered a bridge fight, I lied. It is actually. However, that is if you take running away literally. You can always run back to the island you came from and then wait for your opponent at the other end of the bridge. Make sure to get an angle and boom, you'll 1-hit them off the bridge.
This however is such an old trick that almost no one will fall for it... I do not suggest using this method if you managed to bait them into following you on the bridge, the spleef method works way more efficient and even has a plusside if it fails. If the angle-hit fails you're stuck with your opponent on an island, in which different rules for fighting apply :)

That's it for now :) I'd like to give you some honorable mentions of strategies that did not make it into this thread (although now they kinda do anyways (do not take these too seriously please))

-Enderpearling
Just skip the entire fight and epearl straight to their egg

-TNT bombing
If you really dont like bridges, just blow them up :) that'll also save you from having to fight on a bridge

-Make a platform
You can also fill up all the empty spaces in between the islands, that way you dont have to worry about getting knocked off at all

Thank you so much for reading :)
cya

Komodо

Forum Professional
May 29, 2015
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
www.cubecraft.net
I especially liked the 'counter suicidals part' (hehe) However, It's a really nice thread and I knew most of them (also, because I play eggwars with you and @hgbf , now and then) I do still have one little thingy, when people are building towards you, you can also try to build a higher bridge which goes above them, jump and land just behind them and knock them off; a nice kill with no suicidal aspects :D (Although I prefer the naked warrior myself)

Reactions: RPoule and Zethox

Jako_Nc

Novice Member
Jan 20, 2017
Australia
I have my own personal why for bridge fights, and if i had to name the strategy, it would proably be called duel fights, because the fight would be determined base on one hit without looking back. SO when rushing on a bridge sometimes ill not do any normal strategies and ill just run diagonaly by combining the w and a/d keys, as they charge at you to notice which way their closest to this usually where they with hit you from, so once you get contact with they with still running on the side they will most likely be hit off the edge, then you just go really close to the edge they were at after returning to normal running (do this by using the a/d keys again). so that's how i bridge fight, it works really well if you notice your opponents movement on the bridge before engadging in the fight

Reactions: RPoule

OnePointEight.exe

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2017
You forgot the almost suicide, I've done this to people on space 3 times in a row. You jump out 45 degrees then turn towards your opponent hit them then run on the bridge, very risky if they are expecting it however very fast if speed is necessary. Also just because there are 2 blocks in the way of the bridge doesn't mean I can't kidnap around it :D

Reactions: RPoule

RPoule

Dedicated Member
Jan 13, 2016
Netherlands
You forgot the almost suicide, I've done this to people on space 3 times in a row. You jump out 45 degrees then turn towards your opponent hit them then run on the bridge, very risky if they are expecting it however very fast if speed is necessary. Also just because there are 2 blocks in the way of the bridge doesn't mean I can't kidnap around it :D
I used to do that but the failpercentage was way to high to even try it, half of the time my angle wasn't good enough resulting in me dieng and the opponent surviving. No, I really wanted to share some strong strategies with high winrates.

Btw, when people try to fake suicide me I'm often faster with the hit as they have to focus on their jump as well compared to me just having to move my mouse.

Reactions: OnePointEight.exe

ChasingRainbows

Jun 16, 2016
Florida
I do this legit suiciding. Like when me and my friends are playing and I die, if we're being invaded I'll start doing what I call "naked rushing" where I just spawn and run. I expect to die over and over, but it forces the other team to put time and effort into killing me which gives my teammates time to either get better gear or get an advantage using me as a distraction. I've even killed fully geared people using 0 resources/gear this, the void kills indiscriminately ;)

Members Online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

This is YOUR daily dose of facts #55-
If a big or medium slime or magma cube is named with a name tag, and then dies, its smaller versions will have the same name.
Mintypie231 wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy birthday green budgie!! 🎂🎈
Xi1m wrote on Capitan's profile.
you’re officially cool
IMG_9112.jpeg
Eli wrote on matcha's profile.
Happy to see you around! :)
I got my first 20k kills in FFA!:D
20 000 kills in ffa picture 2.png
Top Bottom