Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Would you like to see competitive parkour like this on our Network?

• Yes

Votes: 69 82.1%
  • Yes, but with some adjustments

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • No, but with some adjustments it could change my opinion

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
NOTE: I'm part of the staff team, but this does not mean that I have any influence on what games get an update, when they update it and what the content is in these updates. This is why I created this thread, so I can get sincere and honest opinions about this suggestion. Feedback from the community is the most important thing, so please do vote and explain your opinion, so I can work with that.

Inspiration
Where did I get the inspiration for this idea from? Death Run is one of my favorite games on The Hive. I barely ever play on any other server than CubeCraft, but Death Run does make me do so. To make you able to visualize the idea here is a video from Death Run on The Hive. Do know that it is not my intention to make an advertisment for their server, it's just a visualizer. As you can see, this game is based on competitive Parkour. You will start the game with about 20 players. 2 of these players won't be assigned to play the parkour, but they'll have to press buttons along the sideline to obstruct others.

Why competitive Parkour?
Currently Parkour is one of our least played games on Java. In my opinion, this comes due to the massive game breaking bugs where maps do not start and the fact that this is single player. Nothing competitive, nothing fun, just something you need to focus on doing by yourself. At the time of testing things out on The Hive (Sunday 1:30 PM GMT+2), Death Run games started within seconds of me joining. Their server has 1400 players online, while CubeCraft almost has 3000. Meaning that this game is a massive success and games quickly fill up.

What makes me want to play competitive Parkour on CubeCraft and not Death Run on The Hive?
Simply said: The downside from The Hive version is you being picked out to obstruct others. Honestly, I don't think there is any fun in that. It's hard to kill others, it's annoying because you can't see where everyone is and sometimes the accuracy of these buttons is just not it. In the CubeCraft version nobody would ever have to press those buttons to kill others, but everyone can play along. It's also my idea to make this more Parkour based. The Hive their version is mainly based off running trough or over obstacels the button-pressers need to enable. There is not much Parkour going on, meaning that if the button-pressors are inactive, it's an easy win for the player that had the best start.

But how is this competitive?
This is what makes the CubeCraft competitive Parkour really special. Whilst running to get to the finish line as soon as possible, you're able to pick up power-ups. These power-ups are inspired by Mario Kart. I made a list of a few I was thinking about:
- Jump boost, this boost makes you able to jump 3 times in a row. It makes it easier to skip the hardest jumps.
- Struck by lightning, random player(s) will get struck by lightning. Meaning that they will get an extreme nausea effect for 5 seconds.
- Emerald of life, the player recieves an extra life, unless they haven't died before.
- Speed boost, the player gets 5 seconds of a speed 10 boost. Meaning that they can catch up like Sonic....
- Slow like a mole, A random player will get slowed down for 3 seconds
- Freezing cold, A random player will freeze for 3 seconds, will someone pass them in those seconds of standing still...?

- The stick of death, Hitting someone with a stick will make them die and respawn at their last known checkpoint.
- Faux Power-up, It gives you nausea, blindness, and slowness all for 3 seconds.
- Squid Power-up, You will be blind for 5 seconds, struck with blindness from squid-ink!

Aren't these power-ups massively overpowered for people that are running first?
No, actually not. The 3 best people will have more chances of getting the unlucky power-ups. Meaning that if the 8th runner gets a freezing cold power-up, the chance that this power up will freeze one of the top 3 runners is bigger than anyone lower than that. Everyone gets a fair chance at winning, but the timing of your power-ups can be super important. This also means that the slowest 3 runners have more chance of getting a jump or speed power-up. Power-ups are randomly assigned, you do not know which of the power-ups you're picking up until it's in your hotbar. You can also have just one power-up in your hotbar and you need to release the one in your hotbar before you can pick up another.

When does the game end?
The game ends in three ways:
1: The 1st player finished, creating a countdown of 1.5 minute for others to complete the parkour and recieve their points.
2: Everyone finished before the countdown stops
3: You have no lives left. You died 5 times and did not pick up any emerald of life power-up, meaning that you're out of lives.

The game shouldn't take hours, but somewhere around 5 minutes is good enough. It doesn't competely have to be parkour based, but some randomly triggered fire or arrows that can kill you is also fun! Falling into water also kills you, so watch out where you jump or run to ;)

And what if I die? Do I have to start all over again?
If you die. you do not need to start over again. There are checkpoints troughout the game that you need to pass trough. If you die, you will be spawned at the checkpoints you touched as last. The checkpoints do give you points, but finishing gives you even more points, especially if you're 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

End
I think i've told about everything I wanted to. I have not yet developed a name for this game, so if anyone can think of a fitting name, please submit one! ^-^ If there are any questions about this game, please ask them and do not forget to vote in the poll. I'd love to hear everyone their opinion about this! It's my idea to release this first on our 1.9 network. If it is a massive success, we can port it over to Bedrock, which is why I used the all networks prefix.

Random tags for people that might appreciate this idea or give some good constructive feedback @Megaaa, @Keanu, @KitsuneToru, @Sweetenerera, @Priley, @Story, @Rawrbin

Last edited:

Technosword

Forum Expert
Apr 21, 2020
US
This is an amazing idea. There have been suggestions for competitive parkour in the past but none as thought out as this. The amount of time you put into this really shows. I voted yes because parkour needs a revamp and I have no negative feedback for this idea other than it doesn’t have an implemented tag!

Gemmmmie

Forum Veteran
Dec 31, 2017
The Butterfly Gardens
I would love this addition, I miss playing competitive parkour with friends but this is even better than before. The powerups would be an amazing add on to the game, I would 100% play this especially with friends. It would be another nice gamemode to just relax instead of always PVP too. There is not really anything to add because the original concept is great. I really hope to see this implemented in the future.

Lozora

Forum Expert
Jul 6, 2016
The Netherlands
Where did I get the inspiration for this idea from? Death Run is one of my favorite games on The Hive. I barely ever play on any other server than CubeCraft, but Death Run does make me do so. To make you able to visualize the idea here is a video from Death Run on The Hive.
Are you advertising Marieke? Shaking my head C;
no but seriously, such a good thread. the very first one in a long long time!

I really like the idea of a new gamemode and especially this one. I personally think Cube needs some fresh gamemodes to be ready for the future and I think yours is a good one. The idea of a competitive mode in parkour will give parkour a fresh look and it will hopefully lure more player into parkour and/or Cubecraft.

It's really nice to see that you decided not to copy the Death Run of Hive but give it your own mario kart-ish twists. I've never seen this before (could be me though) and I really support this one!

Lecura

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Pronouns
They/Them
I'd love to see this minigame on the server! Whenever I am on another server (The Hive in this case) I also play Deathrun because I like the competitive parkour and obstacles.
I love how you added the MarioKart twist, I've never seen this anywhere else except for MarioKart of course. I definitely vote YES for this game! 🥰

Megaaa

Forum Veteran
Mar 4, 2015
East-Flanders, Belgium
Finally a game where I can flex my parkour skills! :P

All jokes aside. This is a great minigame. It's fresh, never seen before. If someone said this seen before because they saw the games 'Death Run' and Mario Kart', this is inspired from those 2 games and she gave a little twist with the parkour aspect. The only thing I'm concerned about is the power-ups. Ok the best 3 people have a higher chance to get unlucky power-ups, but what are those unlucky power-ups?

Flaws of this idea:
- Lack of power-ups (Maybe Marieke or the community can come up with power-ups)
- How does the power-up look like?
- Will there a voting option for Easy, Medium or Hard difficulty?
- Will there be multiple maps to run or is it just 1 long course?

Conclusion:
I like the idea to have competitive parkour to show who is the parkour master or who can run the fastest of them all. If you tackle the flaws I've summed up, you will get a 100% Yes from me.

Pineapple

Forum Expert
Apr 27, 2020
the Pizza Parlor
Suggestion for a power-up;

- Faux Power-up
Like in Mario Kart with the box you collect that ends up stopping you. It gives you nausea, blindness, and slowness all for 3 seconds.

- Squid Power-up
Like the squid in Mario Kart where everyone but the user gets blindness for 5 seconds.

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
Tysm for your criticism master of Parkour 🥺
Ok the best 3 people have a higher chance to get unlucky power-ups, but what are those unlucky power-ups?
- Struck by lightning
- Freezing cold
- Faux Power-up
- Squid Power-up
So just like Mario Kart, you will be able to pick up a power-up, but the positive and good ones are for yourselves, and the negative/bad power-ups are for your opponents. Meaning that if you catch one of these power-ups above here, you will be able to only annoy your opponents with it, and not yourself, unless you wanted otherwise :P.

How does the power-up look like?
I haven't thought this out yet, but I think the power-up in Wing Rush is a good example of this. It's a random object you need to catch while playing and it releases 1 power-up. Ofcourse when adding this to Bedrock this is something much more complicated, as that means we have a lot more options and something would actually need to be designed.

Will there a voting option for Easy, Medium or Hard difficulty?
This is actually a very good question. I'd say it has to start at one difficulty. For all we know this game won't have that many players eventually, meaning that it would be worth a waste of developer recources. If it becomes a success, we can start thinking of expanding the difficulty levels, but we should keep it on one difficulty at the start.

Will there be multiple maps to run or is it just 1 long course?
Are you able to explain this a bit more? You mean if the scenes change during the game?

Technosword

Forum Expert
Apr 21, 2020
US
How about a targeted attack:
Missile Launcher: Shoots the person in front with a wither head shocking them for 3 seconds.

• Love
Reactions: Dualninja

_JoSee

Dedicated Member
Jul 22, 2016
United States
reports.cubecraft.net
Heyy (:

Great idea!
I am excited that it can be implemented on the network, this idea can also bring more players to play this game mode, it will honestly be impressive to see this idea implemented in the future. Seeing an update as this kind is what parkour needs to get a better look at the game mode and not make it so boring in some way.

Love your idea @Marieke2001 I definitely vote YES for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Sergiio12 wrote on LoveAndMafia's profile.
Alejaaaandro
Blom wrote on Lyriie's profile.
Lyriie, sorry for bullying you all the time :o
Ur an amazing staff member <3
mojang nerf mobile players pls
Someone nerfed me because I can't find those hidden chests as easily anymore.. I won't stop trying tho >:c
Top Bottom