Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Would you kill your AFK teammate who AFK'd for the entire game?

• Yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Definitions (for those unfamiliar with leeching/carrying):
-Leeching is the act of joining a game, AFKing for the entire game, and then hoping your team wins. If your team wins, you get a win without making any effort. Leeching is a form of forcing your teammates to carry you (see below).
-Carrying is different. Carrying is the act of doing your teammate's part (putting their weight on yours). At the very least, your teammate tries to do a few things for the team, but not enough.

The problem in team-based games:
Just today I had a game where I had an AFK teammate who didn't do anything for the entire game. I won, but before he got the credit, I team-killed him (yes, I know what I did is against the rules, but no evidence = can't do anything). This is the first time I've ever seen a leecher in MineCraft (seen at least 2 leechers, 5+ instances in SC2 co-op) and it's a big issue for those who want to cheat the system for free points, cubelets, and XP as well as hinder the team.

Would you kill your AFK teammate just before you win the game?

Reason behind this:
Your teammate didn't do anything at all for your team, so it makes sense that he shouldn't get any credit or wins for leeching. Although this is team-killing, is there a way that we can combat leechers on our team? I won't say to allow team-killing 100%, but what about just to kill these leechers if the enemy team doesn't at the very end of the game?

Last edited:

Chimpeeze

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2016
The jungle
Although it would be annoying if you're relying on teammates to win, it doesn't really affect you if you manage to win without him.
Some people may join a game and then get side tracked with other stuff meaning they didn't intentionally do this.
I don't think there's any need to do anything about this.

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Although it would be annoying if you're relying on teammates to win, it doesn't really affect you if you manage to win without him.
Some people may join a game and then get side tracked with other stuff meaning they didn't intentionally do this.
I don't think there's any need to do anything about this.
I didn't record that since I thought he'd come back, but he never did for the entire game.

Here's what happened in a game of skywars:
-Start of game: he gets 1 chest on the island.
-Moments later, he barricades himself inside the mine (nametag is still visible, but no access into his little hole). I've never gotten any message from him (not even in team chat).
-For the entire game, he does nothing other than sitting there doing nothing.
-Even after I've finished killing all but one of the teams, he's STILL AFK even when the game's almost done.
-I then test if he's actually there by giving him stuff or seeing how he reacts to when I place water or blocks near him. No player input.

True, it doesn't affect the rewards you get, but it affects how strong and how well your team can perform. This in turn affects how fast and the likelihood you can win the game. Point being, it's an abuse of the rewards system by taking up a slot that could've gone to someone would play the game as intended and getting free rewards without putting any effort into the game.

I'd see this as the only excuse to team-killing (though ONLY at the very end of the game if your team is winning) since the leecher deserves 0 credit (no XP, points, or cubelets) for doing nothing. This is even worse than a bad teammate who at least plays the game but abandons the team by going alone.

Last edited:

zRinne

Forum Veteran
Mar 2, 2016
Cat world
www.instagram.com
There are some pro and cons for this but I don't think killing your teammate for any reason can be justified in any way possible.

I played some FPS/MMORPG games and trust me, the trolls/leechers are real and annoying.
Annoying to the point you wish you could virtually stick your hand through your monitor and strangle slap them.
The thing is, there are times where they have reasons to suddenly go - not on purpose but of course not everyone has reasons, some are literally jerks who can't give any consideration for their teammate.

Still, killing them isn't the way. Perhaps they're just baiting you into doing so to get you into trouble.
(baiting)
Yes, people like this exists. They record them being AFK then the moment their teammate gets all pissed, they'll attempt to kill them and hey, it's being recorded so who is going to get into trouble.. not them, they can just crop out the front saying they were in the "toilet"
In short, don't risk yourself getting into trouble.

If you won without their help, you deserve it.
You gain skills and they.. probably try killing others with their fist or having trouble killing chickens still.

Reactions: 1212hawks_ and ciwa

zRinne

Forum Veteran
Mar 2, 2016
Cat world
www.instagram.com
Doesn't team killing require warnings though?

Yes you're correct, but it's possible that the player who is team-killing have had a history of warnings and such.
Well, you don't want your reputation ruined either or for others to see you differently. Overall it's still not a good idea to kill your teammate.

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Yes you're correct, but it's possible that the player who is team-killing have had a history of warnings and such.
Well, you don't want your reputation ruined either or for others to see you differently. Overall it's still not a good idea to kill your teammate.
Can't there be a system or a rule implemented to prohibit leeching?

The general rule is if a player has an emergency or has to go soon (get off the computer), he should NOT join a game.

Grimmay

Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2016
a Pleb Family
www.youtube.com
The points made in this thread are correct, I see where your coming from and I know that it's very annoying.

Your idea of solving this problem, is not exactly 'normal'. No matter what, you should never try and kill your teammates. Two wrongs don't make a right.

As for making a rule prohibiting leechers, it will never really be enforced. Unless the player records the whole game , the leecher will always claim that they were "going to the loo" or something along those lines

The only idea I have, is getting kicked for being AFK. If a player is in a game for 'x' amount of time (decided on by staff), the player will be kicked and will not receive any reward.

In conclusion, there will never be an excuse to kill teammates, and it's best not to try either. The rules will have problems being enforced , so they are out of the question. The only thing I can think of is something that kicks you after being AFK for 'x' amount of time.

Reactions: Bardaick

zRinne

Forum Veteran
Mar 2, 2016
Cat world
www.instagram.com
An emergency is something you can not predict, that's why it's an emergency.
Perhaps an AFK kick timer is more logical, though it can still be bypassed.
(^ may be a little unfair to those who have to afk/brb for a few min) but I'm sure we can think of something.

Bardaick

Mar 22, 2015
I have met several of these in my 3 years in Cubecraft, what I do with the forgiveness of administrators is that if I do not move throughout the game I usually kill or another one of my team does, there are some who sting the Table of enchantments and AFK leaves affecting the team, others are locked in blocks hoping to win, sometimes I ignore them but it is impossible, I need all my team to help me and I help to get the victory, diverting some of the subject, there are some That equally bite the table of enchantments and are thrown to the empty, this is tedious and because of this I have touched trolls in the games and I kill them since they do not help the team.

But it is very true what you suggest to kill them, you want to do more if it is a game of 2 teams, but as the administrator says can be a trap to report (although this happens 1 in every 1000000), it is not a good idea to kill them But it is totally valid in my opinion.

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
An emergency is something you can not predict, that's why it's an emergency.
Perhaps an AFK kick timer is more logical, though it can still be bypassed.
(^ may be a little unfair to those who have to afk/brb for a few min) but I'm sure we can think of something.
I'd say about 2 minutes (shouldn't take too long to take a pee in the toilet, doesn't it?) is fine.

It's rude to leave in the middle of the game without a reason. If a player leaves without telling why, then the team will assume he's a leecher or trying to troll. If he did tell, then it's a different story.

zRinne

Forum Veteran
Mar 2, 2016
Cat world
www.instagram.com
I'd say about 2 minutes (shouldn't take too long to take a pee in the toilet, doesn't it?) is fine.

It's rude to leave in the middle of the game without a reason. If a player leaves without telling why, then the team will assume he's a leecher or trying to troll. If he did tell, then it's a different story.

Well a little over 2min (imo) since some people have stairs to climb down/up or cause we don't stand and pee (lol jk) :rolleyes:
But if it's a gamemode such as eggwars, then maybe a different story.
Sometimes my teammate have to brb/afk for 5min (5min+ is fine on eggwars) or more because of parents but they do come back and help out.
So there are really a lot of different circumstances to consider.

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Well a little over 2min (imo) since some people have stairs to climb down/up or cause we don't stand and pee (lol jk) :rolleyes:
But if it's a gamemode such as eggwars, then maybe a different story.
Sometimes my teammate have to brb/afk for 5min (5min+ is fine on eggwars) or more because of parents but they do come back and help out.
So there are really a lot of different circumstances to consider.
I had some vigilante work with that. Oh wait, us regular players are already doing that by fighting hackers.

I got another thread I found right here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/discussions/0/412448792351869618/

Sure, it's a different game, but it's still the same topic: leechers abusing the system.

Now, about the timer and some extra notes:
Then that case it should depend on the game. Generally, 2 minutes. For long games, 5 minutes.

What about first offense for leeching is not getting any additional rewards for the next few days and repeating offenses result in that plus a ban?

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
Breaking a rule, in order to prevent something that annoys some.
If you can be annoyed by it, you can just as well ignore it.
Just act like he doesn't exist and be done with it. Who cares if he gets a free win.
It sure as heck won't effect you, or I, or anyone else except for the leecher.

Reactions: zRinne

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Breaking a rule, in order to prevent something that annoys some.
If you can be annoyed by it, you can just as well ignore it.
Just act like he doesn't exist and be done with it. Who cares if he gets a free win.
It sure as heck won't effect you, or I, or anyone else except for the leecher.
What about against a hacker? Would you cross team against one so that the entire lobby can play fairly (ofc disband the team afterwards)?

I know the rules are rules but shouldn't there be a special case where it can be bent?

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
What about against a hacker? Would you cross team against one so that the entire lobby can play fairly (ofc disband the team afterwards)?

I know the rules are rules but shouldn't there be a special case where it can be bent?
Nope...
If you cover the terms, you'd say breaking a rule to fight against someone breaking a rule.
Don't break rules. Period.

zRinne

Forum Veteran
Mar 2, 2016
Cat world
www.instagram.com
Honestly to me, this isn't such a big deal.
You got your glory, the skills the knowledge and gaming sense while they just feed it off you, you don't lose anything
(unless you lose the game then screw them obviously, right? Pfft)
There's nothing to really be upset about. Let it go, they won't improve on their skills or tactic. Just some sore loser getting free stuff.
Think of it as charity, no shame in that.

This has been questioned a lot.
Heard of the story [The boy cried wolf] ? This can apply here, nuf' said.

I can elaborate or give you more of what I think if you wish so, I still don't think this really matters much but to each their own.

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
Instead add what tower defense has if your afk for a certain amount of time it kicks you

I had this problem last time i played

I was on the aztec map 2 players on my team had left the game and a third was afk it was basically a 2v10 and we won not even losing our egg he was afk long enough for a lvl 2 iron gen to fill his entire inventory, i wish the system auto kicked him

Members Online

Latest profile posts

Critly wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy Birthday, enjoy your day! :)
Dreamer wrote on JellyFish01's profile.
Thanks for the follow :D
Dreamer wrote on xNessus's profile.
Thanks for the follow!
Thunder wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday!
JustNathie wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎉✨