Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

iTBD

Forum Expert
Apr 26, 2020
Bulgaria
Hello, people on the Cubecraft forums! Today I'd like to suggest a different approach to punishments for inappropriate usernames/skins

Current situation
As you may or may not know, when someone has an inappropriate username/skin in the server and gets reported/spotted by a staff member, they get a ban and have to change their username/skin in order to appeal and play again. This, however, feels too harsh, especially in cases when a player couldn't have known that their username/skin isn't allowed or has been using it for years. So I want to suggest a different approach to punishing these players!

My suggestion
I think that instead of banning these players, staff should forcefully change their username/skin to something else while in the server and set a message, which would appear every time they join the server, telling them that their username/skin is inappropriate and therefore has been changed, and that when they change their username/skin themselves, the punishment will be removed as well. Name changes could be done via the /nick command, and skin changing is already possible in Among Slimes - if it's possible in there, why can't it be possible in the rest of the network as well?
When a player changes their username/skin, the message indicating they should change their username/skin would be gone, and the staff member who punished the player would get alerted in order to undo the punishment.

But that's just my opinion, and I'd love to hear yours! Why do you agree/disagree with my suggestion?

JokeKaedee

Dedicated Member
Mar 24, 2020
Dreamland
Pronouns
She/Her
I do get where you're coming from, though this will just give some very obvious rulebreakers the benefit of the doubt. You can't just 'remove' the punishment while some people actually abuse it. I wish there was an easier way to handle these punishments, but I believe the current system would be better than this suggestion.

Skin bans are temporary anyway, if you appeal and change your skin, you should be able to join the Network again. The only thing with name bans is that you're quite unlucky if you have recently changed your name to an inappropriate one.

iTBD

Forum Expert
Apr 26, 2020
Bulgaria
I do get where you're coming from, though this will just give some very obvious rulebreakers the benefit of the doubt. You can't just 'remove' the punishment while some people actually abuse it. I wish there was an easier way to handle these punishments, but I believe the current system would be better than this suggestion.

Skin bans are temporary anyway, if you appeal and change your skin, you should be able to join the Network again. The only thing with name bans is that you're quite unlucky if you have recently changed your name to an inappropriate one.
I don't understand how people can abuse this at all if it were to get added, mind explaining?
I know that skin bans are temporary, but this doesn't change the fact that someone who had used an inappropriate skin without knowing would've been banned from the server for some time. What if that were to happen while they have activated several multipliers, for example? As for name bans, that's even more time one could lose if they change their name to an inappropriate one without knowing. My suggestion is a fix to the time these players would otherwise lose.
That’s not a big problem bc you can bypass name bans.
Maybe some people have multiple accounts and can bypass these bans, but not everyone is lucky enough to be able to do so. For people without alt accounts, it is indeed a big problem.

tobioikawa

Novice Member
Jun 4, 2020
In an ideal world, yes, this suggestion would be great.

Although, as JokeKaedee said, rulebreakers will always find a way to bypass this and make it more complicated than it already is. This would be a great way to subtly tell people who don't intend for their usernames to be inappropriate that they have to change their name. But, once again, this could be manipulated by rulebreakers and would just cause more harm than good among the people who have to handle the situation.

Once again, great suggestion, but, because of how people are, this would be more difficult than just keeping the current system in place.

• Disagree
Reactions: iTBD

iTBD

Forum Expert
Apr 26, 2020
Bulgaria
In an ideal world, yes, this suggestion would be great.

Although, as JokeKaedee said, rulebreakers will always find a way to bypass this and make it more complicated than it already is. This would be a great way to subtly tell people who don't intend for their usernames to be inappropriate that they have to change their name. But, once again, this could be manipulated by rulebreakers and would just cause more harm than good among the people who have to handle the situation.

Once again, great suggestion, but, because of how people are, this would be more difficult than just keeping the current system in place.
I still don't understand how it can be abused, perhaps you can explain?

JokeKaedee

Dedicated Member
Mar 24, 2020
Dreamland
Pronouns
She/Her
What I mean by 'people abusing it' is that they don't get punished directly for having an inappropriate name or skin. If they have gotten a punishment for this before, they would just be given another chance according to your suggestion. I truly do not agree with 'nicking' them instead of punishing them instead - because even when they are disguised, they are able to play the game while they are still breaking a rule.

tobioikawa

Novice Member
Jun 4, 2020
I still don't understand how it can be abused, perhaps you can explain?
Of course!

First of all, I said manipulated, not abused, respectively. As to why I said manipulated instead of abused is because rulebreakers could manipulate what you're suggesting to avoid a ban. They could have a very blatant inappropriate name then make up an excuse and they would not be punished because of your suggestion. On top of that, it would put more work on staff members' backs as they would have to decide who purposely has an inappropriate name, and who has a genuine username.

I hope this explanation helps, let me know if you have any questions.

iTBD

Forum Expert
Apr 26, 2020
Bulgaria
What I mean by 'people abusing it' is that they don't get punished directly for having an inappropriate name or skin. If they have gotten a punishment for this before, they would just be given another chance according to your suggestion. I truly do not agree with 'nicking' them instead of punishing them instead - because even when they are disguised, they are able to play the game while they are still breaking a rule.
So having your name and/or skin forcefully changed isn't a punishment? The entire point of banning these players is that the inappropriate usernames/skins aren't shown on the server, which can also be achieved by nicking them. They would indeed be playing while breaking the rules, but doesn't that also happen if a player got their main account banned for having an inappropriate username/skin and joined the server through an alt account?
Of course!

First of all, I said manipulated, not abused, respectively. As to why I said manipulated instead of abused is because rulebreakers could manipulate what you're suggesting to avoid a ban. They could have a very blatant inappropriate name then make up an excuse and they would not be punished because of your suggestion. On top of that, it would put more work on staff members' backs as they would have to decide who purposely has an inappropriate name, and who has a genuine username.

I hope this explanation helps, let me know if you have any questions.
So you also think that having your username/skin forcefully changed isn't a punishment? I also don't think it would be more work for the staff, as in fact, the system I suggested is a bit more automated, as there are no appeals involved, but I've already explained that in the suggestion itself.

tobioikawa

Novice Member
Jun 4, 2020
So you also think that having your username/skin forcefully changed isn't a punishment?
I do think it's a punishment, I just don't think it's serious enough for someone who is purposely trying to break the rules.
I also don't think it would be more work for the staff, as in fact, the system I suggested is a bit more automated,
I personally do not think that the suggestion is that automated. Staff members still have to nickname and log the member.

iTBD

Forum Expert
Apr 26, 2020
Bulgaria
I do think it's a punishment, I just don't think it's serious enough for someone who is purposely trying to break the rules.

I personally do not think that the suggestion is that automated. Staff members still have to nickname and log the member.
Well then good for you. As for the automation, it can really become much more automated, for example by making it so that staff members can issue punishments like these in a few not-so-complex steps (accepting the report, choosing what to punish for (username, skin or both), then choosing a skin or a name (doesn't have to be anything special, a simple Steve skin and randomname34897 would work just fine) and finally waiting for the notification that someone who they had nicked has changed their username, in which case they undo the punishment. But I guess there's no point in adding it to the thread as it'll never reach 25 agrees anyway.

tobioikawa

Novice Member
Jun 4, 2020
As for the automation, it can really become much more automated, for example by making it so that staff members can issue punishments like these in a few not-so-complex steps
Sorry to say but that's not what automation is. Automation is a bot like Sentinel.
finally waiting for the notification that someone who they had nicked has changed their username, in which case they undo the punishment.
I still think it's too much effort for a system that already exists. Some things just don't need to be changed. Still a great suggestion, though!

Reactions: JokeKaedee

Ben

Aug 4, 2020
Radcliffe
Pronouns
He/They
The amount of name bans and skin bans that happen on a daily basis are so, so, so small that it would make little to no sense for a developer to spend time implementing a system like this. If you're going to make the choice to have an inappropriate skin or name, then you just won't be able to play on our server until you change it - I don't see personally what's unfair about that.

Cookiee

Dec 13, 2020
Washington
Hello, people on the Cubecraft forums! Today I'd like to suggest a different approach to punishments for inappropriate usernames/skins

Current situation
As you may or may not know, when someone has an inappropriate username/skin in the server and gets reported/spotted by a staff member, they get a ban and have to change their username/skin in order to appeal and play again. This, however, feels too harsh, especially in cases when a player couldn't have known that their username/skin isn't allowed or has been using it for years. So I want to suggest a different approach to punishing these players!

My suggestion
I think that instead of banning these players, staff should forcefully change their username/skin to something else while in the server and set a message, which would appear every time they join the server, telling them that their username/skin is inappropriate and therefore has been changed, and that when they change their username/skin themselves, the punishment will be removed as well. Name changes could be done via the /nick command, and skin changing is already possible in Among Slimes - if it's possible in there, why can't it be possible in the rest of the network as well?
When a player changes their username/skin, the message indicating they should change their username/skin would be gone, and the staff member who punished the player would get alerted in order to undo the punishment.
But that's just my opinion, and I'd love to hear yours! Why do you agree/disagree with my suggestion?

I feel like it is a good suggestion, but I like the punishments how they are. Skins are an easy change, and it shouldn't really be that hard to not have an inappropriate name 😅 considering minecraft really is a children's game, names and skins should be appropriate 24/7

Reactions: JokeKaedee

Tiimbae

May 13, 2020

Current situation

My suggestion

I fully agree with this. A friend of mine got banned for a bad username, but he didn't mean any harm with it and he couldn't play for a month

Members Online

Members online

Latest profile posts

Basketman wrote on Eli's profile.
Favourite how to tame a dragon movie, shoot.
Reesle wrote on ii6xxq's profile.
Welcome to the Official Cubecraft Forums!! Hope you enjoy your stay :)
Reesle wrote on Lucaatjee's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎈
Matriox wrote on Kloska's profile.
day x
99th_DutchScary wrote on UncleSpect's profile.
Thanks for the follow! 💖
Top Bottom