Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Smoothlyy

Forum Expert
Mar 28, 2019
USA
INTRO:
Let me preface this by saying I am loving all the new forum engagement and new idea presented by members of community. Frankly, I haven’t seen this level of community involvement for quite a long time. Brings back memories from the 2016-2017 era when community participation on this forum was an all time high. Of course this “new” look forums comes with a caveat. Before we were used to threads that were high quality and posts on those threads that were high quality. Now it seems as if we are getting less of those threads and responses. More common nowadays are posts/threads that are useless, redundant, and unoriginal. Responses on threads will either regurgitate something that has been said or add something that doesn’t benefit the thread in any way(like saying “+1 Great thread!) More and more users will respond to threads in these ways to farm messages which in turn increase their community engagement. A reason for the slight change in the forums recently is the new Helper recruitment changes. As said in the thread, it would be a bonus to an applicant if they are involving themselves more in the community(i.e forums, discord, etc.) It was suggested by the Helper Recruitment team to the applicants that they involve themselves on the forums by suggesting new content ideas and being active. Involving yourself with the forums is great, but these people went about it incorrectly. Users are posting double or triple threads instead of posting something in a single thread, pointless and useless messages are being posted in response to threads that add no nothing beneficial, new or interesting to them. Instead of posting these useless messages why don’t users just vote on a poll or like the thread instead adding something that benefit anyone. In the next part of this thread I will provide evidence to back up my claims and I will prove a few possible solutions.

Evidence and Solutions
All of the evidence that I will now provide will be coming from the suggestion sub-forum, I am excluding posts from the News and Artwork sub-forums although those have a plethora of evidence. I will also be blurring out forums names out of respect for these members.

Situation #1:
Adding nothing new or interesting to a thread by restating what has already been said by the thread maker.
Inked2020-02-13_13_LI.jpg
Inked2020-02-13_11_LI.jpg

As you see the the post in the second screenshot is just regurgitating what the first post says. Instead of repeating this message the second user could have either liked the post or voted on the poll(There was one by the way.)

Situation #2:
Posting multiple threads or posts instead of posting them into one giant message.

Inkedimage0_LI.jpg
Inkedimage1_LI.jpg
Inkedimage3_LI.jpg

Why can't these just be made into one huge thread. The first two screenshots are about the same topic and should be made into one thread. The third screenshots contains a picture of suggestions pretty much made up of suggestions to enhance the server. Why can't one huge thread be posted, is the user trying to make it look like they are engaging with the community more?

Situation 3:
Kind of similar to Situation 1 but the message farming here is pretty blatant. Instead of voting on a poll or liking a thread, the users have to comment something unhelpful or redundant.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg

Possible Solutions
What can be done to fix the current status of the forums? Well, you came to the right place.

Staff team should make a forum guide.
This guide will properly teach a user how to use the forums. The one right now doesn't mention the things that I am critiquing. A lot of new forum users come into the forums knowing nothing about it, and what is considered taboo and what isn't considered taboo on the forums.

The Helper Recruitment Message should be edited.
Currently, the recruitment thread states that it is a bonus to engage in the community especially the forums and to post ideas for the server/discord/forum. Many users have interpreted this message incorrectly and because of this the quality of the messages on the forums has gone down. A possible solution would be to make a thread that explains some of suggestions listed in that thread more in depth. Another possible solution would be to update that thread and edit the message about forum involvement so that people could correctly interpret its meaning.

Staff Enforcement/Punishment
In my time here I have rarely seen anyone punished for message farming all though it is considered against the rules to do so. I recommend that staff punish message farmers more regularly or at least update the rules to make sure the community knows what constitutes message farming. Types of messages that should be removed can be seen in the screenshots above. Messages like +1 great idea!, or messages that are copying what someone else said or duplicate threads or small threads posted in quick succession that can all be posted in one giant thread.

Thank you all for reading my thread. Criticism and opinions are greatly appreciated! Sorry if there are any grammatical or spelling mistakes. -Smoothlyy

Attachments

• 2020-02-13 (18)_LI.jpg
    2020-02-13 (18)_LI.jpg
    738.3 KB · Views: 113
  • upload_2020-2-13_22-52-20.png
    upload_2020-2-13_22-52-20.png
    816 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com

Nikoshka

Dedicated Member
Jan 10, 2018
Tbh I'm just really glad to see more of the community engaging - even if it is for the wrong reasons ahaha.
Personally, I don't think message farming should be taken so seriously. So what if they are responding with only '+1'? They are making the forums look more active and therefore attracting more people who make actually decent posts. Nobody wants to sign up to a dead forums site.

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
First off, I really like the idea of the thread in general. But if I'm being honest, I failed to agree with most of your points.

The way I see it, replies with little to no content aren't an issue, it's just an "additional" form of support for a certain idea or the other way around. Let people post +1 messages, "I really like this idea!" I don't really see the harm. And there's absolutely no harm, it doesn't deviate the thread from its original purpose, it doesn't insult anyone, it doesn't really have a bad implication for it to be condemned. About posts that just repeat what the original thread said, well to be honest there isn't an issue with these either, let people repeat whatever they want it doesn't harm anyone or anything does it? Most people who post these kinds of "useless" messages are relatively new to the forums or have little to no experience. People eventually learn to make proper use of the forums or just leave, and I'd simply suggest patience, not penitence.

On Situation #2, Screenshot 3 specifically. It's justified to post everything on a different thread if they're different topics. Regardless I don't see this as a good strategy, since it will just divide the amount of attention each thread will get. What I don't like about that situation is the fact that all these threads were reposted, reposting is completely useless if you didn't add anything to your previous idea. And I do believe it should have its regulations and correspondant consequences.

About your solutions, to be honest I feel like the only needed thing is to have a more strict enforcement of rule 3.11:
  • Please don't repeat previously mentioned and discussed topics, unless you have something significant to add to the conversation and the previous topic is locked.
Since most of these useless ideas have most probably been suggested in the past.

So to conclude, let people participate proportionally to what they want to say and have in mind. What's so harmful about a simple sentence of support? I don't see the need in regulating these kind of posts, you can consider them message farming if you want but why does it even matter in the first place. Even if most of these new threads and replies lack a lot of content, it's still lovely to see the forums become livelier. It's the perfect occassion to support and welcome new members, not scare them away.

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
Overall, I don't think much needs to be done. My first posts on the forums were a lot like what many of these newer members are posting, and I'm sure it's the same "old" forums members.

I don't like the idea of punishing people for "useless" messages at all. If newer members receive a punishment for just writing something for fun on the forums, then they probably won't want to use the forums much after that. I think newer members should be encouraged to stay rather than be put off by a warning. Besides, if they are active for long enough, their posts will improve.

If anything, I suppose they can edit the helper thread to link Lez's suggestion guide, but I don't think that is very necessary at this point.

Smoothlyy

Forum Expert
Mar 28, 2019
USA
Firstly, I’d like to apologize for the screenshots. They were not intended for malicious intent nor were they supposed to be used for “exposing” anyone. When I wrote this thread it was late and I was tired and thinking clearly. I blanked out people’s names and usernames but I should have blanked out the profile picture as that is identifying information. My bad guys. I merely posted them to teach the forums about the situations I’ve encountered. So now if I understand correctly, I think most members think that any message on forums is good as it adds engagement and activity to the forums thus bringing more people to the forums. Although I agree that these messages help the forums I don’t necessarily agree with the content posted in them and I think that something should be done to curb these messages.

Members Online

Team online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Critly wrote on Kloska's profile.
Happy Birthday, enjoy your day! 🎉
Basketman wrote on Kloska's profile.
Happy Birthday mister Ducky 🎉🥳
BurgerCat13 wrote on Kloska's profile.
Happy birthday Kloskyy!!!
𝑷𝑹𝑶 𝑾𝑰𝑵𝑵𝑨𝑨𝑹 wrote on Kloska's profile.