Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Aratic

Dec 30, 2022
that orange tree
www.youtube.com
Pronouns
He/Him
I want to practice server making and coding in general (also design)

I want to know:

What is the code used to make both versions of the server

What do you use to make the 3d models

Anything else I should know

Thank you!!!!

Laura

Dedicated Member
Verified
Jan 16, 2018
Space
Pronouns
She/Her
I want to practice server making and coding in general (also design)

I want to know:

What is the code used to make both versions of the server

What do you use to make the 3d models

Anything else I should know

Thank you!!!!
You can read about some of the tech we use in this thread:

But basically we have a customised version of Spigot, and code everything in the Java programming language.
This is fine for our java servers and players, however for Bedrock this introduces a problem as Bedrock uses C++.

Your version of Minecraft, Java or Bedrock, talks to our servers using things called Packets. Packets are little 'bags' of data and info. If you click to open a chest, for example, then your game on your computer sends our servers a packet telling us you just clicked on a chest. Our servers then check a few things, and then send the chest inventory info back to you in a packet. Your game then opens the chest and displays the items.

But the packets are different between Java and Bedrock. So if a Bedrock (C++) packet gets sent to a Java server, the Java server will ignore it. This is why we have our Translator system. This translator system reads all the packets coming into and going out of our servers, and checks if they're a Bedrock or Java packet.
If it's a Java packet coming to us, it just leaves it alone and lets it go through.
If it's a Bedrock packet coming to us, it reads what the packet is, and translates it into a Java packet so our servers understand it.
If it's a Java packet going to a Java player, it just leaves it alone and lets it go through.
If it's a Java packet going to a Bedrock player, it reads what the packet is, and translates it into a Bedrock packet so your game can understand it.

We can't share the code for any of this, so if you want to build something like our server then you'd have to spend years writing it from scratch.
However, I highly suggest looking into BuildTools by SpigotMC. It lets you run custom code that you write on a java server (which you can open up to your friends). It's probably the easiest way to start coding for minecraft, but it will still be tricky if you have no programming experience.

Aratic

Dec 30, 2022
that orange tree
www.youtube.com
Pronouns
He/Him
You can read about some of the tech we use in this thread:

But basically we have a customised version of Spigot, and code everything in the Java programming language.
This is fine for our java servers and players, however for Bedrock this introduces a problem as Bedrock uses C++.

Your version of Minecraft, Java or Bedrock, talks to our servers using things called Packets. Packets are little 'bags' of data and info. If you click to open a chest, for example, then your game on your computer sends our servers a packet telling us you just clicked on a chest. Our servers then check a few things, and then send the chest inventory info back to you in a packet. Your game then opens the chest and displays the items.

But the packets are different between Java and Bedrock. So if a Bedrock (C++) packet gets sent to a Java server, the Java server will ignore it. This is why we have our Translator system. This translator system reads all the packets coming into and going out of our servers, and checks if they're a Bedrock or Java packet.
If it's a Java packet coming to us, it just leaves it alone and lets it go through.
If it's a Bedrock packet coming to us, it reads what the packet is, and translates it into a Java packet so our servers understand it.
If it's a Java packet going to a Java player, it just leaves it alone and lets it go through.
If it's a Java packet going to a Bedrock player, it reads what the packet is, and translates it into a Bedrock packet so your game can understand it.

We can't share the code for any of this, so if you want to build something like our server then you'd have to spend years writing it from scratch.
However, I highly suggest looking into BuildTools by SpigotMC. It lets you run custom code that you write on a java server (which you can open up to your friends). It's probably the easiest way to start coding for minecraft, but it will still be tricky if you have no programming experience.
Thank you, should of probably said I do know quite a bit on coding already would save you trouble, anyways thank you again

Laura

Dedicated Member
Verified
Jan 16, 2018
Space
Pronouns
She/Her
Thank you, should of probably said I do know quite a bit on coding already would save you trouble, anyways thank you again
Awesome to hear! And no worries, the info is also there for other people who want to know, but don't have as much techincal knowlege. 😉

Reactions: Aratic
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Tommy Boi wrote on xSchulzis's profile.
good job, good luck
Tommy Boi wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Wow, congrats on Helper, man
good job, good luck
Tommy Boi wrote on Frontlane's profile.
good job, good luck
Eli
From musical hater to musical lover with a single trick: my girlfriend forced me to watch Hamilton 😂
UncleSpect wrote on xSchulzis's profile.
congratss!
Top Bottom