• Total voters

ItzEnd3r

Forum Expert
Aug 18, 2019
Boulder
www.cubecraft.net
Why do we suggest this?
🤔

Me and @Vict0r noticed that people are getting banned for swearing on Discord when they are getting muted in game. This means that swearing on different platforms is being punished in different ways, which is kind of odd. It's like getting banned for 7 days after cheating in EggWars, but 10 days if you cheat in SkyWars. So we would like to propose a mute punishment to help simplify this.

What would the suggestion accomplish?
🧑‍💻

This will allow for more reasonable punishments on the Discord server and will allow people to still get the useful information on Discord, without needing to break the rules and make alt accounts (evading their bans). On top of this, mutes can exclude certain channels such as #staff-help so even if you are muted you can ask questions and get assistance. Abusing the usage of #staff-help while being muted could result in more severe consequences (such as server ban).

Why is muting better than banning?
🔇

This is better than banning for a few reasons. Firstly, once a mute expires people can just talk again, there is no rejoining the server. Players also don't lose out on valuable information that is posted in announcements, such as game updates. This also allows people to DM staff members to “appeal” or discuss their mute. And finally, as said above you can exclude channels such as #staff-help.

How would this be implemented?
💻

A mute punishment is not that difficult to implement, as it is just needed to remove the “Muted” role’s permissions to talk or type in chosen channels. Overall we don't think this would be a big issue, and should take much effort from the development team to add, so don't worry about that :) We were also thinking that with the addition of this punishment tracks could be consistent with their server counterparts, so you no longer will have different punishments if you swear on discord, as if you swear on the server.

Conclusion
👼

So in conclusion, this would help to simplify the punishment tracks and stop taking away people's access to important information for minor offenses. It would be easy to implement and we think it would do a lot of good for the discord server by removing the communication trouble between punished players, and staff and/or information.

____

Sep 14, 2019
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mobile.twitter.com
Pretty neat idea! One thing I would like to mention, is that Discord automatically restricts other accounts on the same IP as the banned user to join the server - which is something a mute would not do. To sum it up, this would make it quite a lot easier for someone to bypass their punishment. Regardless, this really is something I'd like to see as a feature.

Reactions: Vict0r and ItzEnd3r

ItzEnd3r

Forum Expert
Aug 18, 2019
Boulder
www.cubecraft.net
Pretty neat idea! One thing I would like to mention, is that Discord automatically restricts other accounts on the same IP as the banned user to join the server - which is something a mute would not do. To sum it up, this would make it quite a lot easier for someone to bypass their punishment. Regardless, this really is something I'd like to see as a feature.
yes, there will always be people who try to get around the rules, but hopefully this will discourage that by not fully removing their access to important channels and info

Reactions: ____

Keanu

Forum Veteran
Jan 5, 2017
Maastricht, the Netherlands
youtu.be
I am on the fence.

Ingame you can swear in chat, but can't swear in, well, gameplay.
On the other hand, you can swear in both voice chats and chat. Why would people not swear in vc while they do swear in chat? (Just using swearing as an example). I think it's better this way, though I do see where you're coming from.

ItzEnd3r

Forum Expert
Aug 18, 2019
Boulder
www.cubecraft.net
I am on the fence.

On the other hand, you can swear in both voice chats and chat. Why would people not swear in vc while they do swear in chat? (Just using swearing as an example). I think it's better this way, though I do see where you're coming from.
for vc swearing there is the server mute option, but this doesnt apply to messages. which is why i think something like this would be a good addition, but i do understand your point

Reactions: Keanu

Vict0r

Jun 5, 2020
I am on the fence.

The role "Muted" can have its "Talk" permission disabled. As it is suggested, this permission can be disallowed so you can't talk and type.

Reactions: ItzEnd3r

Keanu

Forum Veteran
Jan 5, 2017
youtu.be
for vc swearing there is the server mute option, but this doesnt apply to messages. which is why i think something like this would be a good addition, but i do understand your point
thing is it'd make stuff more complicated tbf. i partly hate discord moderation (even though bot made it wayyy better) as it's rather complicated, let stand we'd split up bans in chat mutes, voice chat mutes and bans.

Reactions: ItzEnd3r and Vict0r

MrTommy

Dedicated Member
Jul 3, 2019
Legoworld
www.instagram.com
Pronouns
He/Him
I storngly agree, but not by muting them. Instead ban them. You also could do something complicated by excluding them from vc's and text channels. So that they still have acces to all the important channels. But isn't needed

Right now the minecraft server has a punishment track (example: Swearing; Warn > 1d > 3d > 7d > 1m and perm mute). And i think the forums does too, altough not confirmed, i asked a friend who is a mod about this, but they said they couldn't reveal that

Right now there is soms sort of punishment track on the discord server but it is like this: warn > warn > ban
The staff member who banned them can keep them banned as long as they want. Corruption can be a thing under mods, i have seen people who have been banned for monts for the second time. While others get a unban in a week for the 8th time. This is really unfair.

The discord server just got a revamp, a while back. And also a new bot that staff can use to aswer simple questions with automated messages (ex: appeal link, report link, etc.) Would't it be awsome if mods just can do *!ban @MrTommy#1522 <reason> and the Bot automatically bans them for perdiod of time.
(*or whatever command the bot uses)

Almost all the platforms have a propper punishment track, would't it be awsome if Discorsd had this too, instead of staying behind technicwise

Vict0r

Jun 5, 2020
I storngly agree, but not by muting them. Instead ban them. You also could do something complicated by excluding them from vc's and text channels. So that they still have acces to all the important channels. But isn't needed

Right now the minecraft server has a punishment track (example: Swearing; Warn > 1d > 3d > 7d > 1m and perm mute). And i think the forums does too, altough not confirmed, i asked a friend who is a mod about this, but they said they couldn't reveal that

Right now there is soms sort of punishment track on the discord server but it is like this: warn > warn > ban
The staff member who banned them can keep them banned as long as they want. Corruption can be a thing under mods, i have seen people who have been banned for monts for the second time. While others get a unban in a week for the 8th time. This is really unfair.

The discord server just got a revamp, a while back. And also a new bot that staff can use to aswer simple questions with automated messages (ex: appeal link, report link, etc.) Would't it be awsome if mods just can do *!ban @MrTommy#1522 <reason> and the Bot automatically bans them for perdiod of time.
(*or whatever command the bot uses)

Almost all the platforms have a propper punishment track, would't it be awsome if Discorsd had this too, instead of staying behind technicwise
Well, that can be commented by a mod but I think the punishment track is warn -> ban.

I can't get your point of view. Banning a person is causing difficulties while they try to reach us + they can't stay up to date with the updates. If someone has sworn there is no point in banning them when we can just disallow them to talk and type. It's something like to get banned in game for Swearing.

KitsuneToru

Jul 14, 2020
As someone who's suggested this god knows how many times, yes please. Lots of servers I'm on have this as an option and it works really well. Having an approach where warning and banning people is the only approach means that there's a very limited amount staff can do, especially when only permanent bans are available. Mutes allow people to think over their options better since they allow the member to have time to reflect, rather than just a warning then a kick/ban.

The one issue I see with this is that currently the consistency of punishments on discord is awful, and if they released a mute punishment there would probably be a lot of conflict around which rules should get you muted, how long the mute should be, which track should it follow, etc. This would need to be sorted first through a refresh of the discord rules and the release of the discord punishment tracks, which appears to be a very low priority.

Reactions: Vict0r
D

Deleted member 469419

So I love the idea: I've been working on several discord servers with advanced moderation tools (bot-driven generally) and it's an amazing as well easier to handle system. From my personal point of view, it's totally unfair that the punishment rules change depending on the site you are. I have tons of friends that have been banned because of the negative behaviour and it is unfair to compare them with scammers and others. I basically suggest adding a bot that works via commands (I gess you already have one of these, if not, just create a new one). Regardless of the kind of infraction it would be a mute or a ban.

An example of this:
If the player get punished, regardless if it's a ban or a mute, the player would get a private DM being them informed of their situation.

It also would be nice if you guys add a new warning system guided by the current CubeBot that allow you to warn players through a PM instead of warning them publicly or not warning them directly.

• !warn @Username <warn type: negative behaviour, scamming, spamming, sharing-inappropiate links...

Overall, I think cubecraft' discord needs to change, and this, is a nice first-step to begin with it.

Keanu

Forum Veteran
Jan 5, 2017
youtu.be
It also would be nice if you guys add a new warning system guided by the current CubeBot that allow you to warn players through a PM instead of warning them publicly or not warning them directly.

• !warn @Username <warn type: negative behaviour, scamming, spamming, sharing-inappropiate links...

Overall, I think cubecraft' discord needs to change, and this, is a nice first-step to begin with it.
This is a thing already?

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
small changes make the big difference, +1 from me!
setting up a "muted" role would be way more reasonable than banning, and its quite easy to make!
would the muted role only work for text channels, or also include Voice?

Vict0r

Jun 5, 2020
small changes make the big difference, +1 from me!
setting up a "muted" role would be way more reasonable than banning, and its quite easy to make!
would the muted role only work for text channels, or also include Voice?
Well, we think that it would be better if the mute includes voice channels.

Reactions: InkAsriel
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

This is YOUR daily dose of facts #19-
The Sun makes a sound but we can't hear it.
Reesle wrote on xireu's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay :D
Reesle wrote on Mantas2221's profile.
Welcome to the Forums! 👋
been working on chapter 4 + some changes to fhg
UncleSpect wrote on vk4zuta's profile.
thank you for the follow!
Top Bottom