Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

CrystalLegend01

Jul 23, 2023
United States 🇺🇸
Pronouns
She/Her
I have a small suggestion for the King of the Hill microgame: adding a wall around the arena
This is actually my first ever suggestion thread, so welcome! 👋

When creating this thread, I saw that there was a similar suggestion from 2022 that didn't seem to be very agreed with. So here I’m going to put some reasons behind this suggestion. I’m hoping that what I say makes sense

It’s a Task-based Microgame

Firstly, I believe that King of the Hill is more of a task-based microgame than it is survivor-based. (These are terms I made up, but they seem to fit well in terms of microgame types)

I put some examples below for reference:

Examples of task-based microgames:
  • Stand on color
  • Shoot the creeper
  • Catch the TNT
  • Cook’s Request
Examples of survivor-based microgames:
  • Knight Fight
  • Hide Under Block
  • Avoid TNT
  • Mini Survival Games
Survivor-based microgames are ones where the main goal involves surviving in some way. Basically, you win the microgame by surviving.

Meanwhile, task-based microgames involve completing a task to win and the task doesn’t really involve any surviving.

Although King of the Hill is a competitive microgame, I believe that it falls under the category of task-based.
The main goal is to be the highest on the hill when the microgame ends, and to stop other players from staying at the top. The goal is not quite knocking players completely off the map to get them eliminated.

If a wall was added around the arena during King of the Hill, I think that the main task would be emphasized more and that it might even make the microgame more engaging for players. In addition, it would help make it fairer, which leads me to my next reason.

Fairness

My second reason is general fairness in the microgame.

In King of the Hill, there can only be 1 winner, which means that a player has about a 1 in 12 chance of winning it. (Of course, this is an estimated probability and the win rates will definitely vary in-game)
The average chances of winning are already low enough; but there’s also the fact that your chances can be completely zeroed out if you get knocked off the map.

Also, all it takes is one player that’s targeting you to hit you a couple of times to knock you off the map, or a player that’s hitting random people near the bottom of the hill.

Additional Thoughts

You might notice that Stand on Color was listed under Task-based microgames. This is because the goal is to be standing on the correct color when the microgame ends and not to survive anything.
A wall was added in at one point to Stand on Color, which was a decent action in my opinion. The wall doesn’t make the microgame too easy, because the players still have the sticks that they can use to knock players off of a color, so it’s still easy to beat another player without having to knock them off the map.
I think that this same concept could be applied to King of the Hill to make the microgame more focused on the main task and to make it more fair for players.

Thank you for reading!

Reesle

Forum Expert
May 25, 2022
Canada
You make some very good points. The only reason I vote :unsure: is because I like how it’s possible to known players off.
I would be ok if there was a wall that was half the height of the hill, but if a wall gets added that’s the same or taller height than the hill, I don’t think the Microgame will be as fun.
Very well-formulated suggestion 👍

CrystalLegend01

Jul 23, 2023
United States 🇺🇸
Pronouns
She/Her
You make some very good points. The only reason I vote :unsure: is because I like how it’s possible to known players off.
I would be ok if there was a wall that was half the height of the hill, but if a wall gets added that’s the same or taller height than the hill, I don’t think the Microgame will be as fun.
Very well-formulated suggestion 👍
Thanks Reesle!
I agree that a shorter wall would work well and would be a good compromise :agree:

Casualpoalrbear

Forum Expert
Sep 11, 2022
Somewhere in the North pole
m.youtube.com
Pronouns
He/Him
I disagree with this. I think they should keep it. I really like the fact that you can target someone to make sure if they lose and then try to win yourself. It adds an extra layer of strategy to the microgame. Maybe instead of a wall maybe after like 3 seconds you can respawn back into the game

Also despite the disagree I got to say that this is a very well written and thought out suggestion

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

qKhalidd wrote on camulos's profile.
happy birthday!
Casualpoalrbear wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congrats in helper. I know you do great

(Also nice change to your PFP)
Frontlane wrote on camulos's profile.
Happy birthday!
Frontlane wrote on ImSatisfied's profile.
Gefeliciteerd!!!
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Pro helper!:D
Top Bottom