• Add autolocking feature

Votes: 22 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQueenWaddle

Dedicated Member
Jan 3, 2016
Literally this has been triggering me forever but now I think I've come up with a viable argument.
One should not be able to request locks on other people's threads.
So I've come up with a list of reasons why this is total bs.
If you're lazy or just illiterate, at least read the bold.

Disrespectful
So I think we can all agree that every staff member has a brain. I think we can all agree that every staff member can use such a brain. I don't think they need people to tell them when to lock a thread. They know the rules front and back, inside and out. if something needs to get shut down, they will shut it down. They don't need a 10 year old telling them what to do. If you think you can do a better job than them, go apply and see where that takes you. Every staff member is qualified and active enough to close down threads that break the rules.

Necroposting
Obviously players outnumber the staff 10000000000 to 1 or something crazy. We'll notice if someone necroposts a thread way before they do. But guess what? Asking for a lock is necroposting too. Want to break the rules just to suck up and pretend to be superior? Go on right ahead. We lock necroposted threads to prevent obsolete threads from moving their way up to the top, some of which aren't even relevant anymore. So just ignore them and keep looking through the relevant ones, and soon enough the old ones will move their way back down the list. Posting on it asking for a lock does nothing but bump it back up to the top, so really you're only boosting it up further. Counterintuitive, right? And if you want to be irritating and PM a staff member to lock a necroposted thread, be their guest.

Discussion Closes
Whether it be you just finishing helping someone by directing them or whatever, or if a question gets answered, then just let it go, and it will die. If a staff finds it's been answered, they can lock it without getting 500 notifications.

Getting off Topic

If a thread starts veering off course, then instead of further diverting the conversation and asking for a lock, be the good citizen to actually contribute to the thread. 90 people asking for locks contributes NOTHING, which is, oh my, against the rules! I surely consider it post farming, as it doesn't add anything to the conversation (so I interpret it).

Arguments
If the situation becomes so toxic that people begin bashing each other instead of the ideas, I'm pretty sure a Moderator/Helper/etc. will notice. Trying to act all mighty and powerful trying to shut down a lock is pretty much minimodding which again, is against the rules. I think that staff have the brains to know when to lock a topic if every comment is just "***** blah blah blah ****"

Now I'm sure the staff could find it helpful, but to the creator of the thread, it can be very disrespectful, especially if they put a lot of thought into their post and it just gets shut down because some kid didn't x, y, or z.
And for a "jack of all trades argument" against every minuscule, different reply,
ALL YOU'RE DOING IS ACCELERATING THE RATE THEY LOCK STUFF. YOU'RE CONTRIBUTING NOTHING.
THIS IS BUILT ON THE BASIS THAT THEY READ EVERY THREAD (so they claim). EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE LOCKED
WILL
BE
LOCKED.

So now I'll just wait for the snarky reply.
EDIT: Or watch this thread get locked, that would be ironic
lmao

NedGaming

Forum Expert
May 22, 2015
The Netherlands, Limburg
cubecraft.net
Please

Attachments

• IMG_1454.JPG
    IMG_1454.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 215
D

Deleted member 169486

Make a button to request a lock, so only staff members can lock or the maker can request a lock, then make a rule againsed asking for a lock.

Reactions: JamesGamez
B

Britney Spears

I wouldn't mind if this actually became a rule. I see no reason for a player to request a lock unless it's their own thread. If you really have the urge to adress something about a thread to a moderator or higher, you could always private message them instead of re-bumping a thread or bringing a dead thread on top of the recent posts list again by replying to it with ''please lock @staffmember''.

TheLucian

Forum Expert
Dec 29, 2015
:D
I am kind of in the middle of this. If the question is answered, disrespectful, or causing arguments I think it is ok to ask for a lock. But if it's a really cool suggestion and someone asked for a lock that would be really rude.
@YounB What do you think.

TheQueenWaddle

Dedicated Member
Jan 3, 2016
I am kind of in the middle of this. If the question is answered, disrespectful, or causing arguments I think it is ok to ask for a lock. But if it's a really cool suggestion and someone asked for a lock that would be really rude.
@YounB What do you think.
Arguments
If the situation becomes so toxic that people begin bashing each other instead of the ideas, I'm pretty sure a Moderator/Helper/etc. will notice. Trying to act all mighty and powerful trying to shut down a lock is pretty much minimodding which again, is against the rules. I think that staff have the brains to know when to lock a topic if every comment is just "***** blah blah blah ****"
While I understand it may be useful to lock an inflammatory thread early,
If you really have the urge to adress something about a thread to a moderator or higher, you could always private message them instead of re-bumping a thread or bringing a dead thread on top of the recent posts list again by replying to it with ''please lock @staffmember''.

Grimmay

Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2016
a Pleb Family
www.youtube.com
I agree with you! I think the best idea would be to have a button which the thread creator can use when they want to lock a thread/ creators should be able to lock their own threads.

I also think that the implementation of auto locking (locking threads that has not had new content for 2 weeks), would prevent necro posting.

I don't think that there should be severe punishments for players requesting locks, it all depends on the situation (e.g asking to lock a thread about how to report someone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

99th_DutchScary wrote on UncleSpect's profile.
Thanks for the follow! 💖
marshduck11 wrote on Kloska's profile.
Ducky friend!
10,000 eggs Eggwars - 18/04/2024

image.png
i keep falling through the “forest clearing“ cage whenever i play solo skywars bedrock pls fix im too lazy to make a bug report
Top Bottom