Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

lvminary

Novice Member
Feb 23, 2020
Germany
I tried out 1.9 PvP on a old beta test network of GommeHD and the 1.9 update on CubeCraft. I didn't find it that bad but I also didn't know what I should think about that combat. The reason for it is that I didn't spent enough time with it which I really regret. I even forgot the existence of versions above 1.8 at all for about a year. I thought Minecraft stopped development after 1.8. When did you switch to 1.9+? And do you still play 1.8 sometimes after CubeCraft closed 1.8?

Snowy54

Jul 26, 2019
Shinyland 💫✨
No, I don't play 1.8 anymore. CubeCraft is my favorite server and I have been playing 1.9 PVP since 2016/17 and sometimes I played 1.8. And now when I get bored of 1.9 PVP, I just go to Bedrock :)

lvminary

Novice Member
Feb 23, 2020
Germany
No, I don't play 1.8 anymore. CubeCraft is my favorite server and I have been playing 1.9 PVP since 2016/17 and sometimes I played 1.8. And now when I get bored of 1.9 PVP, I just go to Bedrock :)
Why did you (and others) switch to 1.9? On all big well known servers people complained about 1.9 so much so they kept 1.8. What's about CubeCraft?

tobioikawa

Novice Member
Jun 4, 2020
I don't play Java anymore, but when I did, I'm pretty sure I used 1.8 for PvP. At the time, I wasn't playing CC for PvP related games, so the removal of 1.8 didn't affect me at all. Also, I never really switched to 1.9 because, at the time, I thought the PvP was the same so I just kept on doing 1.8 methods.

Thunder

⚡ Moderator ⚡
Team CubeCraft
🔨 Moderator
Jun 8, 2020
Istanbul, Türkiye
I bought my account a few months after the release of 1.9 and I have rarely played in 1.8 since then. 1.8 combat didn't give me the fun that I had in 1.9+.

Vindicatør

Sep 29, 2020
the Woodland Mansion
minecraft.fandom.com
I tried out 1.9 PvP on a old beta test network of GommeHD and the 1.9 update on CubeCraft. I didn't find it that bad but I also didn't know what I should think about that combat. The reason for it is that I didn't spent enough time with it which I really regret. I even forgot the existence of versions above 1.8 at all for about a year. I thought Minecraft stopped development after 1.8. When did you switch to 1.9+? And do you still play 1.8 sometimes after CubeCraft closed 1.8?
I do 1.9 stuff mainly but sometimes I do 1.8 with some friends.

Buckyy

Dec 27, 2019
The Depths
do you still play 1.8 sometimes after CubeCraft closed 1.8?
Definitely.
It will always be the best version regarding pvp in minecraft.

The pvp of the 1.9 is not dynamic, you cannot do blockhit, the cps do not influence anything, the kb is different, when you throw a pearl the trajectory it makes is complety different, the rod does not work the same (in short, useless in terms of pvp).
If we compare the satisfaction of a combo on 1.8 to one on 1.12 I think you would see a big difference.

In terms of competitiveness, I think there is no need to say anything

Last edited:

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Definitely.
It will always be the best version regarding pvp in minecraft.

The pvp of the 1.9 is not dynamic, you cannot do blockhit, the cps do not influence anything, the kb is different, when you throw a pearl the trajectory it makes is complety different, the rod does not work the same (in short, useless in terms of pvp).
If we compare the satisfaction of a combo on 1.8 to one on 1.12 I think you would see a big difference.

Best is a very subjective term. Many times I've seen this debate come up and many of the aspects in 1.9 are still the same as in 1.8.

I played 1.9 PvP during my prime time back in 2016-July 2017 and 1.8 PvP since April 2015 (I still play 1.8 PvP on bedrock). Having played both 1.8 and 1.9+ PvP in full, I'll address your points below.
  • You can't blockhit the traditional way unless you have a shield. You still can, but it's not as viable as it once was since it takes 0.25 seconds before you can start blocking. Also, in most fights in 1.8, why would you blockhit (and hamper your mobility) in the open when you can strafe?
  • You still need CPS if you're shoving someone (especially if you want to knock the opponent into a hazard) or using right-click to quickly use items.
  • Trajectory is the same if you are stationary. It's just that the trajectory now takes your movement into account. If you don't jump, using items should still give similar trajectory to that in 1.8. Also, when you're hit while aiming a bow in 1.8, your trajectory also changes a bit due to your new position being a little bit above the ground the moment you fire the bow.
  • You have snowballs and eggs for knockback. Why were you given these in 1.8? (For reference, it was never intended for snowballs/eggs/rods to deal knockback to an opposing player.)
  • 1.9 didn't introduce that many weapons other than the tipped arrows, shields, lingering potions, and elytra just to name a few notable PvP items. A fairer comparison is 1.16+ PvP (due to more weapons such as crossbows being added to the game) against 1.8.
    • (One of the most common themes of all the threads I've seen regarding debates like this is that people don't want change.) 1.8 PvP has also been around since the game's inception whereas 1.9+ PvP (not counting new PvP items) has been around for 5 years.
    • Since 1.8 is no longer supported, it's essentially a red queen's race for new players who want to enter 1.8 PvP against 1.8 PvP veterans. It takes a very long time to master PvP, and a new player who enters 1.8 PvP is up against people with 10 years of 1.8 PvP under their belt.

Last edited:

Buckyy

Dec 27, 2019
The Depths
  • You can't blockhit the traditional way unless you have a shield. You still can, but it's not as viable as it once was since it takes 0.25 seconds before you can start blocking.
  • You still need CPS if you're shoving someone or using right-click.
  • Trajectory is the same if you are stationary. It's just that the trajectory now takes your movement into account. (Also, when you're hit while aiming a bow in 1.8, your trajectory also changes a bit due to your new position being a little bit above the ground the moment you fire the bow.)
  • You have snowballs and eggs for knockback. Why were you given these in 1.8?
  • From my point of view there is no point of comparison of the blockhit on 1.8 than with the blockhit that you are comparing.
  • The cps on 1.9 do not have the same functionality as on 1.8.
  • The trajectory of the pearl has changed, when a person is falling into the void it does not have the same trajectory on 1.9 as on 1.8.
  • The snowballs and eggs as you use them are spent, the rod does not.

Reactions: Alexp192

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
  • From my point of view there is no point of comparison of the blockhit on 1.8 than with the blockhit that you are comparing.
  • The cps on 1.9 do not have the same functionality as on 1.8.
  • The trajectory of the pearl has changed, when a person is falling into the void it does not have the same trajectory on 1.9 as on 1.8.
  • The snowballs and eggs as you use them are spent, the rod does not.
Sorry I added more details.
  • When do you use blockhit in 1.8? If you don't use this often (again why use this in the open if most fights take place in the open?), then this is a corner case.
  • Could you explain what you mean by functionality? If you're referring to attack cooldown, you're not restricted to attacking only after the cooldown.
  • Yes. But same thing: in 1.8, what happens if you're falling into the void and you throw a pearl upward and it doesn't land on solid ground? On the other hand, this also means that projectiles can arrive sooner if you're throwing them downward while you yourself are falling from a cliffside toward the ground.
  • Yes, that's what I mean with the rod. That was an exploit even in vanilla (where rods/eggs/snowballs don't deal knockback against players) since that was an infinite source of knockback. You could cast the rod, deal KB, switch to a different item, and then hold the rod again without losing durability.

lvminary

Novice Member
Feb 23, 2020
Germany
That's CubeCraft's issue and what they've made out of 1.9 PvP.

Also, in most fights in 1.8, why would you blockhit (and hamper your mobility) in the open when you can strafe?
Double hits, 8 Block, sprint reset.

similar trajectory to that in 1.8
Absolutely not. If I strafe left and right, I wont get the same hits as in 1.8. 1.9+ trajectory is awful in PvP.

You have snowballs and eggs for knockback
Still they give too less on CubeCraft. The issue is that eggs and snowballs don't give vertical knockback air anymore because vert kb in air was removed in 1.9.

that people don't want change
I hate people who don't want chance. Without change, nothing can develop further. And things MUST develop.

Since 1.8 is no longer supported, it's essentially a red queen's race for new players who want to enter 1.8 PvP against 1.8 PvP veterans. It takes a very long time to master PvP, and a new player who enters 1.8 PvP is up against people with 10 years of 1.8 PvP under their belt.
In my opinion the exact same applies to 1.9.

When do you use blockhit in 1.8? If you don't use this often (again why use this in the open if most fights take place in the open?), then this is a corner case.
If you would watch a lot of 1.7/1.8 practice clips, you would see.

Could you explain what you mean by functionality? If you're referring to attack cooldown, you're not restricted to attacking only after the cooldown.
The CPS cap in 1.9 is stronger than in 1.8.

Yes. But same thing: in 1.8, what happens if you're falling into the void and you throw a pearl upward and it doesn't land on solid ground? On the other hand, this also means that projectiles can arrive sooner if you're throwing them downward while you yourself are falling from a cliffside toward the ground.
We can use the SkyWars on GommeHD as an example. These guys got insane reflexes.
Many of them use the Enderman kit in SkyWars and they'll jump from an island and THEN throw the ender pearl.
In 1.9 that doesn't work because you're falling in that moment which makes the ender pearl fall straight into the void.
Another scenario there is that waterfighting is a thing and you also got many cobwebs. They fall, throw an ender pearl straight up and save themselves with a lot of CPS with cobwebs on the island bottom and place water and blocks so they're saved.
That all is just not possible with 1.9's trajectory which is awful in my opinion.

You could cast the rod, deal KB, switch to a different item, and then hold the rod again without losing durability.
GommeHD fixed that making the rod losing durability when casting it.

Last edited:

Buckyy

Dec 27, 2019
The Depths
  • When do you use blockhit in 1.8? If you don't use this often (again why use this in the open if most fights take place in the open?), then this is a corner case.
The blockhit inflicts knockback and damage reduction, it doesn't necessarily need to be in a corner.

• Could you explain what you mean by functionality? If you're referring to attack cooldown, you're not restricted to attacking only after the cooldown.
Doing 15 fps on 1.8 reduces the knockback and improves hit registration. That functionality would be useless in 1.9 because when you are doing that amount of cps apart from inflicting hardly any damage, the kb is complety different.

• Yes. But same thing: in 1.8, what happens if you're falling into the void and you throw a pearl upward and it doesn't land on solid ground? On the other hand, this also means that projectiles can arrive sooner if you're throwing them downward while you yourself are falling from a cliffside toward the ground.
On 1.8 if you throw a good pearl it saves you, in this version you will die no matter how you throw the pearl.
If you have played skywars on 1.8 and now on 1.12 you would know what I'm talking about.

• Yes, that's what I mean with the rod. That was an exploit even in vanilla (where rods/eggs/snowballs don't deal knockback against players) since that was an infinite source of knockback. You could cast the rod, deal KB, switch to a different item, and then hold the rod again without losing durability.
That glitch is the one that has kept the entire minecraft MCSG community alive, due all the good players knew how to do it and loved to play with the rod.

If you remove that glitch from the rod in modalities like (UHCF, SG, FinalUHC, BuildUHC) those modalities would cease to exist.

Still they give too less on CubeCraft. The issue is that eggs and snowballs don't give vertical knockback air anymore because vert kb in air was removed in 1.9.
Completely.

That's CubeCraft's issue and what they've made out of 1.9 PvP.
Cubecraft has never been a competitive pvp server, but I didn't mean that. I mean, if you look at the average of players from uhc or practice servers on 1.7.10-1.8. You would see a big difference of players regarding who practice pvp in 1.12.

Last edited:

lvminary

Novice Member
Feb 23, 2020
Germany
Cubecraft has never been a competitive pvp server, but I didn't mean that. I mean, if you look at the average of players from uhc or practice servers on 1.7.10-1.8. You would see a big difference of players regarding who practice pvp in 1.12.
And I think 1.9+ PvP needs to get competitive.

Members Online

Latest profile posts

Casualpoalrbear wrote on TheOrderOfSapphire's profile.
Congrats.
Kiyaan gaming world on YouTube
This might be one of the weirdest excuses I have seen after killing someone.

2024-03-28_23.34.25.png
Top Bottom