Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
With the new changes that have come to the staff team, new changes should come to recruitment as well. I was excited about writing a thread on this topic for a long time and this seemed like the perfect time!

Minimum Requirements

The current minimum requirements are 50 successful player reports, 100 forums messages and 3 months of activity on the network.

I genuinely think these are fine, but they’re just a bit hidden in the thread itself. I’ll just link you to this thread instead where I elaborate on the issue: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/put-stress-on-minimum-requirements.219650/

So-called “mini-modding”

Ok, so this is a rather big one. Although plenty of staff members have said that you should be yourself instead of trying to make yourself look like the best, most mature and most typical staff member. Unfortunately, aspiring applicants don’t really take this into consideration, yet a handful of applicants do just that and it has got them accepted.

I think the recruitment team is sending out wrong signals here: being a wannabe can get you staff.

If the mindset of the recruitment team actually changes, then so will the mindset of aspiring helpers. I would not appreciate random strangers come up to me in-game and telling me that I am swearing or doing anything else against the rules (obviously it’s understandable if the rule breaker is blatant. But if it’s just a person using offensive language to a friend then I do not feel like a regular member, that is equal to them, should go robot-style and say “Please do not swear because this is against the rules. Read the rules here: blah blah”).

It feels like the recruitment team is expecting aspiring helpers to behave like helpers already. I don’t think they should be. They should rather just enjoy the server and just act mature and be themselves.

Subforum for applications

The idea has been around for a while, but even the translation team gets to manage applications via a subforum so why doesn’t the helper recruitment team?

Pros:

• Applicants will now instantly know when they’ve been denied due to a [DENIED] prefix in the application thread title instead of having to wait a month
  • In addition to the previous point, applications can be moved to subforums (“Denied”, “Considered”, “Accepted”, “Pending”)
  • People can’t apply in the name of others to troll. Don’t think this is super common but I’m sure it has happened
  • Feedback can be given to this thread straight away - and a possible conversation can follow
  • It’s easier to keep track of which applicants do meet the minimum requirements and which do not, by clicking their profile and checking it directly that way
  • Easier and more convenient to make edits to the application thread. I literally have not a single clue as to how I should make edits to a sent google form. I know there’s an explanation but it’s just so inconvenient
  • It’s on the forums and people aren’t directed to other sites. It’s Google, I’m well aware but why not have everything on one main website?
Cons:

bYu24sC.gif

Wrong and strict mindset of the recruitment team

It seems like the recruitment team only accepts applicants if they are ready for moderator. I genuinely do not believe there’s a whole lot of training going on for helpers, other than obviously getting used to working with certain commands and other business. But more in the sense as in, there’s no training to their actual behaviour or flaws.

Out of 91 accepted moderating staff members on the server throughout its history, a staggering 85 made it all the way to moderator. With the remaining 6 being helpers that did not make it through - which should not necessarily be a bad thing but it does look like it because, as I said, nearly all helpers will become a moderator eventually.

* I excluded the current helpers as they are still undergoing their ‘training’. Though we all know it’s incredibly likely all 6 of them will get promoted eventually

Reach out to players instead. Invite them for an interview or ask if they would be interested in a position on the team. People that could make great helpers don’t always have the courage or self-confidence to apply for the position.

Give elaborated, personal and extensive feedback to well-written and high-quality applications. I’m well aware that applicants can ask for feedback themselves but this isn’t something they should have to do. As a ‘thank you’ and gesture of appreciation this is something the recruitment team should do themselves. It should be a given.

Misc

Reset the cycle every 3 or so months. Plan the dates out throughout the year so applicants can prepare and really take time to evaluate themselves. Now it’s just like SURPRISE APPLICATIONS RESET YOU CAN APPLY NOW GOOD LUCK

Anyone's feedback is much appreciated, as long as it's elaborated and fair - obviously. Specifically tagging a few people whose feedback I am more than excited to hear! @IceScreams @AnimalTamer1 @Buuuddy @Prileyfanboy01 @Oreoino @Bruni @Spuuuni @Keanu

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
With the new changes that have come to the staff team, new changes should come to recruitment as well. I was excited about writing a thread on this topic for a long time and this seemed like the perfect time!

Minimum Requirements

The current minimum requirements are 50 successful player reports, 100 forums messages and 3 months of activity on the network.

I genuinely think these are fine, but they’re just a bit hidden in the thread itself. I’ll just link you to this thread instead where I elaborate on the issue: https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/put-stress-on-minimum-requirements.219650/

So-called “mini-modding”

Ok, so this is a rather big one. Although plenty of staff members have said that you should be yourself instead of trying to make yourself look like the best, most mature and most typical staff member. Unfortunately, aspiring applicants don’t really take this into consideration, yet a handful of applicants do just that and it has got them accepted.

I think the recruitment team is sending out wrong signals here: being a wannabe can get you staff.

If the mindset of the recruitment team actually changes, then so will the mindset of aspiring helpers. I would not appreciate random strangers come up to me in-game and telling me that I am swearing or doing anything else against the rules (obviously it’s understandable if the rule breaker is blatant. But if it’s just a person using offensive language to a friend then I do not feel like a regular member, that is equal to them, should go robot-style and say “Please do not swear because this is against the rules. Read the rules here: blah blah”).

It feels like the recruitment team is expecting aspiring helpers to behave like helpers already. I don’t think they should be. They should rather just enjoy the server and just act mature and be themselves.

The idea has been around for a while, but even the translation team gets to manage applications via a subforum so why doesn’t the helper recruitment team?

Pros:

• Applicants will now instantly know when they’ve been denied due to a [DENIED] prefix in the application thread title instead of having to wait a month
  • In addition to the previous point, applications can be moved to subforums (“Denied”, “Considered”, “Accepted”, “Pending”)
  • People can’t apply in the name of others to troll. Don’t think this is super common but I’m sure it has happened
  • Feedback can be given to this thread straight away - and a possible conversation can follow
  • It’s easier to keep track of which applicants do meet the minimum requirements and which do not, by clicking their profile and checking it directly that way
  • Easier and more convenient to make edits to the application thread. I literally have not a single clue as to how I should make edits to a sent google form. I know there’s an explanation but it’s just so inconvenient
  • It’s on the forums and people aren’t directed to other sites. It’s Google, I’m well aware but why not have everything on one main website?
Cons:

bYu24sC.gif

It seems like the recruitment team only accepts applicants if they are ready for moderator. I genuinely do not believe there’s a whole lot of training going on for helpers, other than obviously getting used to working with certain commands and other business. But more in the sense as in, there’s no training to their actual behaviour or flaws.

Out of 91 accepted moderating staff members on the server throughout its history, a staggering 85 made it all the way to moderator. With the remaining 6 being helpers that did not make it through - which should not necessarily be a bad thing but it does look like it because, as I said, nearly all helpers will become a moderator eventually.

* I excluded the current helpers as they are still undergoing their ‘training’. Though we all know it’s incredibly likely all 6 of them will get promoted eventually

Reach out to players instead. Invite them for an interview or ask if they would be interested in a position on the team. People that could make great helpers don’t always have the courage or self-confidence to apply for the position.

Give elaborated, personal and extensive feedback to well-written and high-quality applications. I’m well aware that applicants can ask for feedback themselves but this isn’t something they should have to do. As a ‘thank you’ and gesture of appreciation this is something the recruitment team should do themselves. It should be a given.

Misc

Reset the cycle every 3 or so months. Plan the dates out throughout the year so applicants can prepare and really take time to evaluate themselves. Now it’s just like SURPRISE APPLICATIONS RESET YOU CAN APPLY NOW GOOD LUCK

Anyone's feedback is much appreciated, as long as it's elaborated and fair - obviously. Specifically tagging a few people whose feedback I am more than excited to hear! @IceScreams @AnimalTamer1 @Buuuddy @Prileyfanboy01 @Oreoino @Bruni @Spuuuni @Keanu

I completely agree with all of this! Nice thread! <3

Reactions: Priley

Keanu

Forum Veteran
Jan 5, 2017
Maastricht, the Netherlands
youtu.be
Minimum Requirements

I agree. I even think they're on the low side. If you tryhard reports you can easily get 50 reports and 100 messages in 90 days aren't a lot either. The only requirement I disagree with is the age requirement, there are quite a few people out there who don't meet the age requirement but would be great helpers.

So-called “mini-modding”

+1

Pros:

YESYESYESYESYES
I've suggested this (in private) before and I really don't see why not.
You didn't mention this but it'd also make the application process more ''personal''. Right now you submit a form and you either will or will not receive an answer. If this gets added the applicant will know their work is being seen and appreciated.
Also, this would decrease A LOT of applications from people who don't meet the requirements. Quite a while ago I heard most applicants don't add a link (or if they do, its not the correct link) to their forum profile at the ''link to your forum profile'' question. If this gets added this would no longer be a problem.

I wish there were 0...I think that, if this gets implemented, the recruitment team has to change their way of working. Buttt, considering they're currently revamping the staff management team I don't think there's a better time to change the system.

Can't agree more.

Misc

YES. JUST. YES.

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
You didn't mention this but it'd also make the application process more ''personal''. Right now you submit a form and you either will or will not receive an answer. If this
I talked about giving elaborated, personal and extensive feedback to well-written application threads :P

I completely agree with all of this! Nice thread! <3

Thanks to both of you for your support! :D

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
Unpopular or not, not sure, but I think players who have shown very much commitment and dedication to the server and who are very mature and respectful after not being so before should have a better chance then they do now as it feels like once you make these mistakes you have no chance of ever getting helper. Some don't deserve to ever receive the rank but I can list some people who have changed who would definitely be great helpers. And some people are still trying to change, and could even become a better person by going through it. I feel like cube is a little scared after having a bad experience with helpers to recruit some "controversial" members but it's a learning experience and the risk is always there for anyone as we have learned with some staff members.

Last edited:

Siftenly

Forum Expert
Nov 30, 2016
The Netherlands
Minimum Requirements

I agree with this, although, in my opinion, these requirements are already not that hard to achieve. They could even be made higher again to 100 reports, 100 messages and 3 months of activity. Because 100 isn't that high too, and you should have some experience with creating reports when you want to become a staff member.

So-called “mini-modding”

Yes pls

Pros:

Oeh, this sounds very good. Could indeed be very handy for both sides, applicants and the recruitment team because they both have more features they can use. It would just have the same features as google forms but more. EDIT: I still don't get why the applications just have their own section on the forums, like the "Game Discussion".

I agree with the thing that helper should be more seen as a trial rank so that more players will have a chance in becoming a moderator and I also agree with the feedback thing, but I disagree with the recruitment team reaching out to players to ask if they would like to become a staff member. This is just not how it works, someone should do something for something they want, if someone would like to become a staff member they should write an application by themselves. Maybe 1 applicant spent a few hours on writing their application and then there's one guy who was just asked "Hey, would you like to have an interview to become a staff member?", that's not fair.
Misc

Would be great if the resets would be planned indeed, I agree.

____

Sep 14, 2019
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mobile.twitter.com

Minimum Requirements

So-called “mini-modding”

Pros:

Cons:

bYu24sC.gif

Misc

Yes, please! The system is simply much clearer, so that certain target audience is far more likely to be motivated to apply for a position. Besides, it is much easier to adjust your application, answer any questions and keep track of the current status. These reforms are essential, I am very inquiring if these changes will be implemented. I stand by your valid points, +1!

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
I especially want to comment on the subforum thing because I've been annoyed by this for a long time. In the Google forms you can only say if you have experience yes or no. You can't explain anything about it. Were you staff on a handful of smaller servers or were you staff on a few really big servers? Imo that's important information.

So ye, they should change it to be on the forums. You can much easier add some more information that could perhaps help your chances.

Starry

Forum Expert
Oct 24, 2016
Belgium

Minimum Requirements

So-called “mini-modding”

Pros:

Cons:

bYu24sC.gif

Misc

Holy, you have put a lot of effort in this thread! I definitely agree with the wannabe part, I think that a lot people who want to become a Helper will behave like being one already and I think this should change.

Markietjeeeee

Aug 19, 2018
Netherlands,Utrecht

Minimum Requirements

So-called “mini-modding”

Pros:

Cons:

bYu24sC.gif

Misc

I agree!
+1

Komodо

Forum Professional
May 29, 2015
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
www.cubecraft.net
Finally someone said this! Most of them aren’t 18 yet, so you shouldn’t expect them to be a so called mini-modder.

Easier and more convenient to make edits to the application thread. I literally have not a single clue as to how I should make edits to a sent google form. I know there’s an explanation but it’s just so inconvenient
Holy parrots. Not that I even remotely serious applied, but this google docs were stressing me out. Its also annoying that if you reload, your application that hasn’t been suggested, will be erased.

This argument is the only one I’m not sure about. For sure, the staff team reaching out to the community is certainly a good thing. However, this will probably be a popularity thing. The shy member who doesn’t get a lot of credit, but still wants to be staff, because he’s too insecure, still won’t be noticed. Although I kinda support this idea, I’m not sure whether this will be a good thing.

This on the other hand is a must. When you put a lot of effort into something, you should be rewarded for it. I’m quite embarrassed this isn’t a thing yet.

SURPRISE APPLICATIONS RESET YOU CAN APPLY NOW GOOD LUCK
You got me there. That is just complete nonsense and should indeed be a kind of cycle. Although it should be mainly based on the need of helpers. They could also make sure you can prepare: “helpers applications will be open in 3 weeks”

Great constructive thread that already got escalated I see! Hope they will implement many of these things and make staff applications more human and less perfect.

Reactions: RickDeKlomp

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
In addition to the previous point, applications can be moved to subforums (“Denied”, “Considered”, “Accepted”, “Pending”)
I’d rather get it via forums PM, unless it gives you a notification.

Nikoshka

Dedicated Member
Jan 10, 2018
Personally, I believe all applicants should be treated with at least the courtesy of a proper response. After all, they are offering to help rather than applying for a payed job. Not that much is given in return to the helpers who volunteer for CCG. I do, though, have a feeling that @IceScreams is already implementing something along the lines of this after personal experiences with speaking to him.

I do like the subforum idea; it has been one suggested to the staff team many times (even by myself whilst I was part of helper recruitment). Google forms is very primitive and it has too many major flaws to be used.

For the requirements, they definitely need to be lowered in my opinion. There are too many aspects of the CCG network which needs moderation and having to focus on all of them (which is currently reflected in the helper requirements) is a little ridiculous. Personally, I believe that the requirements should allow for a degree of flexibility.

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
Personally, I believe all applicants should be treated with at least the courtesy of a proper response. After all, they are offering to help rather than applying for a payed job. Not that much is given in return to the helpers who volunteer for CCG. I do, though, have a feeling that @IceScreams is already implementing something along the lines of this after personal experiences with speaking to him.
I think the issue is that, to no one's surprise, a majority of applications and applicants are ungenuine and don't sincerely want to help the server. I don't believe this majority deserves to receive elaborated and personal feedback. The most I would give them is a few sentences stating why they've been denied but nothing too extensive

Reactions: Marieke2001
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on UnfWasTaken's profile.
Welcome to the forums!:D I hope you will enjoy your stay here ^-^
Eli wrote on Pineapple's profile.
Hi Applepine
Just got a perfect game of Bedwars Duos. Really wish I was recording :/
IMG_5334.png
Eli wrote on JellyFish01's profile.
Happy Birthday!!!!
Eli
Finally got through the first page of voting streak rewards!

1714349194331.png
Top Bottom