Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Would you want to improve the server by further Europeanising it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
The title says above. This suggestion aims to further Europeanise the server by encouraging non-European players to follow European English and how the server can be different than the others, in particular different from the American ones. It bugs many because players cannot communicate with others well just because of one or two conflicting conventions in American and European English.

Suggestion
1. A handbook to convert from American English (or non-European English) to European English.

We need a handbook to teach our non-European players how to write according to the European convention. This handbook consists of a list of European terms used in place of American ones, notation (time/date), grammar, and other conventions. The handbook shall be accessed by typing in /handbook.

Vocabulary examples:
a. The European term for "cookies" would be "biscuits". A more detailed list shall be provided.
b. The European term for "counterclockwise" would be "anticlockwise". For example, "We take turns counterclockwise" in American English should be "We take turns anticlockwise" in European English.

The handbook shall also briefly review European grammar and conventions such as metric units like metres and grams instead of American units such as inches and pounds. The following are examples to illustrate how the handbook can teach American players how to properly write according to European convention. Again, a more detailed page should be linked to teach non-European players how to use the conventional spelling of words.

In American English, for example, the period would go inside the quotation marks as shown in this sentence. Also, the date is written as month/day/year. By European convention, these styles are incorrect.
"On 12/11/17, I will eat biscuits." (This means I will eat biscuits on November 12, 2017 when written in European convention. Since that date has passed, this would present confusion as 12/11/17 in American English refers to December 11, 2017.)

In European English, the date is written as day/month/year and the sentence above should be corrected to:
"On 11/12/17, I will eat biscuits". (This avoids confusion when talking about the time and date if both parties use the same system. Here, this means I will eat biscuits on December 11, 2017.)

Applying this information to the game, instead of using blocks as the measurement for distance, metres (not meters due to spelling) must be used in place. To say that a player is "4 blocks away" is incorrect and should be changed to "4 metres away". Also, a cookie obtained as a food item must be named "biscuit" instead.

2. Renaming the kits and terms used in the server.

Some of the names sound too "American". For example, the pirate ability or pirate map should be renamed to "corsair ability" or "corsair map" respectively. It is also worth noting that many of the minigames we have follow the same name as other servers. For this reason, the names of a few games should be changed. The following are a few examples.

SkyWars -> Wars in Mid-air
EggWars -> HumptyDumptyWars
BlockWars -> CastleWars
Survival Games -> Food Foragers
PvP -> Arena
Meteor shower potion (tower defence potion) -> Meteorite hail potion
Prison (SkyWars map) -> Dungeon (SkyWars map)
Pirate (kit) -> Corsair (kit)

The death message should be changed from "You're out of the game! Type /lobby..." should be changed to "If you want to leave, type /lobby. If you want to stay, stay.".

3. Adding a /clock command.

This is to allow players to access the time. The time shall be structured like this upon entering the command. The following is a sample time and date displayed after entering the command. It should not display on the scoreboard.

SERVER TIME
11 December 2017
20:31

4. Adjusting the multi-account rule.

Instead of having it say "...to gain an advantage in a game...fill enemy teams with useless players, farming kills on an alt in games like FFA, Assassins, etc...", it should be changed to "Alts are prohibited upon logging them into the same game as the one your main is in.".

Why? By prohibiting alts altogether in the game, we make it more difficult for cheaters to sneak alts into the game. It is already difficult for a random player to catch alts since they usually do not notice the same usernames repeatedly. Taking that into consideration, that makes it much harder to gather evidence and enforce the multi-account unless it is a hacking alt. The only way currently is to have an IP check on both the main and alt from the provided evidence, and even then that evidence must include both the main and the suspected alt.

Reasoning
This suggestion will also help our non-English players learn basic English to communicate with most of our players. Communication is very important, and without this our players would not be able to understand each other. We eliminate any confusion between players when they all follow the same English convention, i.e. European convention. We also make the server more unique since the names will be different than what most use.

TL;DR
Make the server even better than it currently is by catering better to our intended audience.

References
CubeCraft server (kit/item names and rules)
Date and time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_in_the_United_Kingdom
European English spelling/vocabulary: http://www.stevenroyedwards.com/euroenglishspelling

Last edited:

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Took me a shamefully long time to realise this is a troll...

It is a troll, right?

(With that being said, I like the idea of a /clock command)
No, isn't. I actually wanted to suggest changing the words on the server. I was serious the entire time.

I have years of experience dealing with multi-account instances, and considering that we have a very large playerbase, it is very difficult to track which alt belongs to which main from the player's side. Even on a smaller server, it is still hard but not as much. The only way is to run an IP check on every account from the provided evidence in the player's report. If the IPs match, hand out the ban. If not, no ban.

Let's say we have a game of 20 players. These players just come and go, with 99.9% of the time a completely different group of 20 players joins the next game. The average player is very unlikely to suspect alting unless he/she is following a possible multi-account player.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
No, isn't. I actually wanted to suggest changing the words on the server. I was serious the entire time.

I have years of experience dealing with multi-account instances, and considering that we have a very large playerbase, it is very difficult to track which alt belongs to which main from the player's side. Even on a smaller server, it is still hard but not as much. The only way is to run an IP check on every account from the provided evidence in the player's report. If the IPs match, hand out the ban. If not, no ban.

Let's say we have a game of 20 players. These players just come and go, with 99.9% of the time a completely different group of 20 players joins the next game. The average player is very unlikely to suspect alting unless he/she is following a possible multi-account player.
But what about your first two suggestions? Were they 100% serious?

Reactions: _The13thDoctor_

Muetta

Oct 21, 2016
The Best Train Station
What i am getting is: All people that live in europe will have a good connection too the server. I don't think it's required to improve the server.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Yes, those too. (I'll reply more when I wake up later.)
If you say so; I'll treat it as such.

I thought this suggestion would be like, adding French, German, Italian, etc. translations to the server, not making things "sound less American". What's so American about EggWars that you propose renaming it HumptyDumptyWars? (Funfactbtw: Nowhere in the nursery rhyme is it mentioned that Humpty Dumpty is an egg :p )

Also, CCG uses traditional minigame names so that the server appears when players search for them. Nobody is going to search for 'Food Foragers' or 'Arena', especially when the term 'arena' isn't limited to PvP and SG isn't about acquiring food so much. Also, 'corsair' is an archaic word that many will not recognise, whilst 'pirate' isn't exclusively American and is thus easily understood. Though, I wouldn't mind renaming 'BlockWars' to 'CastleWars'.

a. The European term for "cookies" would be "biscuits". A more detailed list shall be provided.
But how often does the word 'biscuit' come up in discussion, and how often are people confused by it to an extent where it can't be explained in a single sentence?

"On 12/11/17, I will eat biscuits." (This means I will eat biscuits on November 12, 2017 when written in European convention. Since that date has passed, this would present confusion as 12/11/17 in American English refers to December 11, 2017.)
This can again be explained in a single sentence if anybody is confused by it, though, considering it has already passed in American English, it shouldn't be too difficult for people to understand the intended date anyways.

This suggestion will also help our non-English players learn basic English to communicate with most of our players.
American English and British English are extremely similar, and are the only languages you've given examples of. If you can understand one, you can almost definitely understand the other. I reckon a better use of time would be to welcome other nationalities to the server, say by adding Italian or French translations (assuming this hasn't been done already).

TL;DR
Make the server even better than it currently is by catering better to our intended audience.
I don't think the "intended audience" is specifically British people, and I've never personally had a problem understanding American people since the differences are so slight.

Is this a joke that I'm not getting?
I'm still not entirely convinced myself, though if it isn't then that's pretty awkward.

Suggestion
1. A handbook to convert from American English (or non-European English) to European English.

We need a handbook to teach our non-European players how to write according to the European convention. This handbook consists of a list of European terms used in place of American ones, notation (time/date), grammar, and other conventions. The handbook shall be accessed by typing in /handbook.
I'm sorry, but nobody is going to leave a mid-session match, type /handbook, and then scroll through hundreds of possible items to find one definition. Good old Google.com has you covered a thousand times over.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink

Instead of having it say "...to gain an advantage in a game...fill enemy teams with useless players, farming kills on an alt in games like FFA, Assassins, etc...", it should be changed to "Alts are prohibited upon logging them into the same game as the one your main is in.".

Why? By prohibiting alts altogether in the game, we make it more difficult for cheaters to sneak alts into the game. It is already difficult for a random player to catch alts since they usually do not notice the same usernames repeatedly. Taking that into consideration, that makes it much harder to gather evidence and enforce the multi-account unless it is a hacking alt. The only way currently is to have an IP check on both the main and alt from the provided evidence, and even then that evidence must include both the main and the suspected alt.
I see where you're coming from and would agree, except a lot of people use alts to start games when there otherwise aren't enough people online. For instance, you could end up waiting 30 minutes before an Arcade or UHC game starts, thus you might use alts to speed things up a bit.

I'm indifferent to this idea.

Miauw

Forum Expert
Jul 23, 2016
the Netherlands
I don't think the "intended audience" is specifically British people, and I've never personally had a problem understanding American people since the differences are so slight.
I agree. In fact this thread title is a bit misleading, since this clearly isn't about Europeanisation, it's about making the server look more British.

I don't really don't know if this thread is serious or not, but I believe that if we would rename the games in that way it'll confuse players a lot and could possibly cause a lot of players to leave.

Making a move like this would be a mistake that Cube can't afford.

A

A pigeon

oml you actually typed paragraphs in response to this

Very good thread still

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
I see where you're coming from and would agree, except a lot of people use alts to start games when there otherwise aren't enough people online. For instance, you could end up waiting 30 minutes before an Arcade or UHC game starts, thus you might use alts to speed things up a bit.

I'm indifferent to this idea.
I didn't think of that. How about alts allowed to start the game timer but they have to leave when it does?

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
Suggestion

Vocabulary examples:
b. The European term for "counterclockwise" would be "anticlockwise". For example, "We take turns counterclockwise" in American English should be "We take turns anticlockwise" in European English.

The handbook shall also briefly review European grammar and conventions such as metric units like metres and grams instead of American units such as inches and pounds. The following are examples to illustrate how the handbook can teach American players how to properly write according to European convention. Again, a more detailed page should be linked to teach non-European players how to use the conventional spelling of words.

In American English, for example, the period would go inside the quotation marks as shown in this sentence. Also, the date is written as month/day/year. By European convention, these styles are incorrect.

In European English, the date is written as day/month/year and the sentence above should be corrected to:
"On 11/12/17, I will eat biscuits". (This avoids confusion when talking about the time and date if both parties use the same system. Here, this means I will eat biscuits on December 11, 2017.)

Applying this information to the game, instead of using blocks as the measurement for distance, metres (not meters due to spelling) must be used in place. To say that a player is "4 blocks away" is incorrect and should be changed to "4 metres away". Also, a cookie obtained as a food item must be named "biscuit" instead.
Okay, this just seems straight up pointless to me, and this is coming froms someone who studies European English in school, and prefers to use American English with some European-written words.
What's the point in having this? Most of the words they use are already spelled in the European way, and it's not like words like "counterclockwise" and "cookies" don't exist there. Why put the effort into changing things like that?
(FYI, the British English language setting in Minecraft changes cookies to biscuits, fish to cod, etc.)

Having a book of grammar is like making Cube feel like school, which is exactly what children are trying to escape when they play here. I'm highly against putting a book of grammar up on the server.

The confusion between dates is usually not even too common, as most of the time people end up using phrases like "in two days" or "on December 7th" more than anything.

The meter/metre block range thing is completely pointless too. Most players know what a meter is and that a block is one cubic meter, but quite a few (mostly American) players may not even know that, and might be confused with it. The term "x blocks away" is a universal unit that every Minecrafter can understand, as the game world is literally composed of blocks. No possible confusion there.

"Alts are prohibited upon logging them into the same game as the one your main is in."
Is this actually supposed to be against the rules though?
I can think of a few scenario's where having an alt on to start a game of, for example, UHC or solo gamemodes with friends.

BlockWars -> CastleWars
PvP -> Arena
The alternative game names sound pretty bad. They don't even necessarily describe what the game is about. Heck, most of the names are tradition, and newcomers might think that Cube has nothing fun to play.
I believe the kit and map names are good as is, as every player would definitely know what a pirate is over a corsair for example.

This is to allow players to access the time. The time shall be structured like this upon entering the command. The following is a sample time and date displayed after entering the command. It should not display on the scoreboard.

SERVER TIME
11 December 2017
Sure, why not. I honestly want this to be a forced thing to prevent outdated report evidence from being used again.

This suggestion will also help our non-English players learn basic English to communicate with most of our players. Communication is very important, and without this our players would not be able to understand each other. We eliminate any confusion between players when they all follow the same English convention, i.e. European convention. We also make the server more unique since the names will be different than what most use.
This won't change a thing, simply because: Most of the "American" words used, are bound to be known by the European player base too. It's not like we're speaking two completely different languages, and I have personally never seen someone ask if another means the British or American term for something.

Target audience isn't Europeans. It's anyone. Cube would love for anyone to join their server, regardless of where their server host is.
The target demographic is children, so using "complicated" (to them) words isn't going to do us any good.

In conclusion: Although Cube uses a lot of American words, there's no need to completely change everything to European alternatives. Everyone that can speak English fluently can understand American terms, while maybe missing out on a few European ones.
The book of grammar is pretty much implementing a schooling system in the server, which contradicts why most players play in the first place.
The dates in scoreboard are something I'd like to have as a forced feature to prevent outdated report evidence from being accepted.

Gotta say: Although I'm against most of it, these are some pretty well described ideas you've constructed.

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
The title says above. This suggestion aims to further Europeanise the server by encouraging non-European players to follow European English and how the server can be different than the others, in particular different from the American ones. It bugs many because players cannot communicate with others well just because of one or two conflicting conventions in American and European English.

Suggestion

Vocabulary examples:

2. Renaming the kits and terms used in the server.

Some of the names sound too "American". For example, the pirate ability or pirate map should be renamed to "corsair ability" or "corsair map" respectively. It is also worth noting that many of the minigames we have follow the same name as other servers. For this reason, the names of a few games should be changed. The following are a few examples.

BlockWars -> CastleWars
PvP -> Arena

SERVER TIME
11 December 2017

Reasoning

TL;DR

References
CubeCraft server (kit/item names and rules)
Date and time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_in_the_United_Kingdom
European English spelling/vocabulary: http://www.stevenroyedwards.com/euroenglishspelling

Thats a really funny joke
You got me lol

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

JokeKaedee wrote on yousif1playz's profile.
Happy birthday c:
JokeKaedee wrote on Maxminedigger's profile.
Happy birthday!! 🍰
Uhh I might be the cause of this but, it spells W so 🤔
Thanks @AnolTongi for the image
1714853932931.png
SpringWarz wrote on Fesa's profile.
Stop complaining about people putting their names in bug reports, thank you!
Top Bottom