Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net
Jul 7, 2021
I'm posting this thread due to my ban on the cubecraft discord for DM advertising. Giving users a ban seems unreasonable, unless it is getting out of control, but I believe that users should get a warning and then a perm ban.

Sometimes you invite people randomly to your server and it is a common mistake to invite someone who doesn't want any invitations, there is a simple solution to this which is verbal communication instead of an insta ban.

Edit: I didn't expect this many dislikes :( it was a mistake and I know now never to do it again. I wish it could've taken a more friendlier route than this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210912_004240.jpg
    Screenshot_20210912_004240.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Deann

what's a bug 🍪
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Jul 2, 2017
the agency
The reason DM advertising is an instant permanent ban is because it means that the advertiser is using our server as a Minecraft players database. It's not something I would ever support changing, any lenience on it would get abused. Also, if it was a misclick or mistake you can just contact the moderator who banned you, we'll usually be pretty understanding about that sort of thing :)

SpringWarz

Senior Moderator
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
May 2, 2016
Scotland
www.google.co.uk
The reason DM advertising is an instant permanent ban is because it means that the advertiser is using our server as a Minecraft players database. It's not something I would ever support changing, any lenience on it would get abused. Also, if it was a misclick or mistake you can just contact the moderator who banned you, we'll usually be pretty understanding about that sort of thing :)
+ to add on, we have no idea how serious it could be regarding how many people have dm advertised therefore why we perm ban for this

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
uh i dont think a warning is right imo it should be more like a 30day ban to a perm ban.

The reason its a perm is bcs dm advertisers are considered bots always usually afaik so theyre just banned whereas there are users who are actuall members just advertising to people theyre talking to, i think it should be a 30day ban as its better for the real users + invite bots probably arent gonna be used after there banned for 30days again

Deann

what's a bug 🍪
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Jul 2, 2017
the agency
I don't really see the use of a 30 day ban for this, if it was a mistake or someone didn't know the rule etc they can appeal to the moderator, but that's the minority. Most bans for DM advertising are either bots or people who joined the server for the sole purpose of dming people, I wouldn't want those types of ones to expire.

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
i wouldnt want someone who threatens death or encourages suicide to return either, but they do. I don't see how advertising a server with the minor inconvenience of a ping or whatever should get a perm ban. the bots probably wont be used again after the 30 day advertising ban anyway

Deann

what's a bug 🍪
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Jul 2, 2017
the agency
The difference there is that someone who threatens someone out of anger can change and return to be a positive or at least neutral influence. The advertisers I'm talking about don't care for the community or anything at all - the issue with advertising isn't the minor inconvenience of a ping, it's the fact that they're in the server solely to target our user base. Bots probably wouldn't be used again yeah, but they're not the only ones that advertise :P

Reactions: awesomeepiccxxx

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
The difference there is that someone who threatens someone out of anger can change and return to be a positive or at least neutral influence. The advertisers I'm talking about don't care for the community or anything at all - the issue with advertising isn't the minor inconvenience of a ping, it's the fact that they're in the server solely to target our user base. Bots probably wouldn't be used again yeah, but they're not the only ones that advertise :P
Well I guess I just disagree, I don't think a permanent ban is needed at all

Most users banned for DM advertising are probably bots and after being banned will probably never be used again + the people banned for actually using Cubecraft for DM advertising will probably learn after a 30 day ban, as you said if someone can learn how to be a positive or neutral influence after telling someone to commit suicide or whatever I'm sure they can learn that cubebot has told them not to DM advertise and they'll be banned permanently if they do it again after a 30day ban.

I dont agree with stuff like Hate Speech and threatening being such a lessened punishment track compared to dm advertising. If someone can learn to not hate on people for there "race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc." especially after just a 14 day ban (which is absolutely ridiculous in comparison imo) im sure they can learn not to dm advertise

Deann

what's a bug 🍪
Team CubeCraft
🛠️ Sr. Moderator
Jul 2, 2017
the agency
Where we differ is that I don't feel you can really compare it to hate speech or threatening like that, the reasoning for dm advertising punishments is completely different than other discord punishments. The amount of people who dm advertise and then show remorse for it are such a small minority of the total bans that I just can't see changing the rule being justified.
I'm sure they can learn that cubebot has told them not to DM advertise
Also this, it's hard to prove anything here but I've found that people who joined just to advertise tend to never really do that, but this is just going to be an opinion convo now so I'll leave it here :)

• Agree
Reactions: Snowy54 and Matriox

Goefy

Forum Expert
Dec 10, 2019
Å
If you want to invite someone for a discord server you should just ask them for permission first, it’s not that difficult and you wouldn’t get punished. A perm ban is fine. Dm advertisers are very annoying

Jul 7, 2021
People learn by their mistakes and somepeople are innocent doing it not knowing their actions. What about those people? I get they also done something wrong but it is wrong not to give them a second chance.

Reactions: Matriox
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Cultvres's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
GiGaGekkies wrote on Cultvres's profile.
Happy Birthday
Saw this comment on YT the other day 🤣
IMG_5254.jpeg
Here's the scoreboard I made for BedWars Duos! (Team colors I used may not be used in the actual game)
1713525398483.png
Reesle wrote on Cultvres's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎉
Top Bottom