Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Forum Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Freak Show
www.youtube.com
220px-Melanie_Martinez_-_Cry_Baby_(album).png

Hello everyone!
I thought i'd be fun to go over one of my favorite albums of all time, Cry Baby.
I want to go over every song in the album and the message behind it.
Each song on the track list is titled something childhood related, while the actual message being
crossed to the listener carries a more adult like themes and problems.
This album does tell a story, so I will put it in order and give you guys a better explanation
as well so you guys can get a better understanding of this beautiful album.​

Before I get started, I just wanted to say that I don't own any of the music or illustration.
Also, if you easily get offended by 'bad' language, please don't read this thread, only SOME of it
will contain it. Now, let's get into the music..​

1. Cry Baby
1_cry_baby.jpg
Saddest girl she has to be
Salty tears stream down her cheek
Her heart’s bigger than her body
Her name is cry baby
Explanation: Cry Baby is the fantasy version of Melanie. She is an emotional love sick girl who's heart is just too big for her body. People teased Cry Baby for being such an emotional person, but she pretends not to care.

2. Dollhouse
2_dollhouse.jpg
And in her picture perfect home
Momma's drunk while daddy moans
Her brother always comes home stoned
She watches in her room alone
Explanation: So on this song we get a glimpse of her family life. First we meet her mother, the alcoholic house wife with petty jewelry and a not so pretty marriage. Her husband is unfaithful and is with a mistress while their son smokes weed in his bedroom. Although they put smiles in public, behind the walls, they have secrets like everyone else. They aren't the perfect family like everyone thinks they are.

3. Sippy Cup
3_sippy_cup.jpg
She watches momma sip a drink
Out of a sippy cup that’s pink
Because of that you’d never think
That she’d pass out under the sink
Explanation: In this song, we get to see just how serious her parents’ problems are. No matter how much her mother tries to hide her alcoholism, Cry Baby knows that she is hiding liquor in her sippy cup. When the drunk mother sees her husband with another woman, she murders both of them only to have Cry Baby walk in on the crime scene. To cover up the murder, her mother drugged her so she would forget the gruesome memory.

4. Carousel
4_carousel.jpg
The carnival is where she fell
For the first time on the carousel
Round and round through the same hell
She never gets under his shell
Explanation: Cry Baby falls in love with a boy who always seems to be too distant from her. Just like the next horse in a carousel, their relationship keeps moving round and round, but they never can truly connect.

5. Alphabet Boy
5_alphabet_boy.jpg
She cried until she then could see
That he wasn’t even worthy
Of all her love and abc’s
So she spelt fuck you in 1 2 3
Explanation: When her boyfriend leaves her to get his music degree, he tries to teach her how to truly write music. Needless to say, Cry Baby didn’t like that! She says “F**k your degree, I know my ABCs” and spells out some choice words on her fridge. To prove her unique mastery of songwriting to the Alphabet Boy, her song’s verses go in alphabetical order.

6. Soap
6_soap.jpg
She met a new boy and filled with hope
She said too much and always choked
So she washed her mouth out with soap
So that he wouldn't pull the rope
Explanation: Cry Baby meets a boy she likes and is thinking about telling him she loves him. Unfortunately, her mind runs wild and she thinks confessing her love to him would be like throwing a toaster in his bath tub. Instead of telling him, she just washes her mouth out with soap.

7. Training Wheels
7_training_wheels.jpg
They rode their bikes so very slow
She wanted more as they got close
Unscrewed his training wheels to grow
Into a two wheel bicycle
Explanation: Cry Baby finally meets a boy that she is ready to take the next step with. Training Wheels is about losing the training wheels of a relationship and not being afraid to fall. Sadly for Cry Baby, sometimes when you fall…it hurts.

8. Pity Party
8_pity_party.jpg
Her birthday was around the bend
She invited him and all her friends
None of which did attend
Her happiness came to an end
Explanation: Cry Baby took off her training wheels and even invited her crush to her birthday party! Sadly, he never showed up and neither did any of her friends. Trying to make the best of a lame situations, Cry Baby keeps the party going.

9. Tag, You're It
9_tag_youre_it.jpg
A lonely girl so vulnerable
To her house she walks alone
The bad wolf ice-cream man had known And took her to his awful home
Explanation: When the “wolves,” as Melanie calls them, see that Cry Baby is single, they come hunting. Tag, You're It is an incredibly dark song about a man pushing Cry Baby down, poisoning her, and taking her home. This dark tale is nearly a rape story and the emotion in Melanie’s voice, brings Cry Baby’s fear to life.

10. Milk and Cookies
10_milk_and_cookies.jpg
She got locked up and made a plan
To kill the bad wolf ice-cream man
He ordered her to make him snacks
Her cookies and milk made him collapse
Explanation: There is a happy ending for Cry Baby (for once) when she escapes and kills the wolf with kindness…well kind of. She actually kills him by poisoning the milk and cookies she made him. Cry Baby really takes after her mother when it comes to ending sucky relationships! The way the wolf forced her to give him “dessert,” it was probably an abusive relationship.

11. Pacify Her
11_pacify_her.jpg
She escaped and was never the same
She swayed a boy who had been claimed
And pacified ol' what’s her name
Not out of love, just played a game
Explanation: At this point of Cry Baby’s life, she is numb to love and pain. She sees a boy she likes and goes after him. She doesn’t care if he’s taken or if she’ll end up with a broken heart. She simply gives his girlfriend a pacifier and steals her man. Perhaps, after seeing her father with so many mistresses, Cry Baby has no problem becoming one as well. But, I think on a deeper level Melanie is just saying Cry Baby doesn’t care about consequences or what anybody else has to say about her anymore. If they’re getting on her nerves, she’ll just pacify them.

12. Mrs. Potato Head
12_mrs_potato_head_v2.jpg
One day she turned on the tv
Mrs. Potato on the screen
Showing off her surgeries
She thought that her pain meant beauty
Explanation: Cry Baby sees Mrs.Potato Head, a woman with a plastic face and lots of surgery. After being broken hearted so many times, Cry Baby looks at Mrs.Potato Head and wonders if pain is beauty. Cry Baby realizes that it isn’t worth paying $1000 for a compliment. Maybe there is beauty in all the pain Cry Baby experienced in her life as well. We're all beautiful even if we don't see it.

13. Mad Hatter
13_mad_hatter.jpg
Cry baby sat and disagreed
Imperfect, insane, and emotional was she But she feels safe, going to sleep
And there’s no one else that she’d rather be
Explanation: After the many twists and turns of Cry Baby’s life as an emotional masterpiece, she comes to terms that being called “Cry Baby” isn’t an insult at all. She is crazy, but the best people are. She loves who she is, even if she has to cry for a few hours to realize that. She might find love one day, or she might not. Either way, she’s done trying to be Alice when she is really the Mad Hatter.

The end.

If you guys have any albums that I should listen to and potentially go over/review them, please comment them. :D​

Last edited:

Despacito 2

Forum Professional
Dec 6, 2015
I officially found someone crazier than me.
-.- oh wait nvm...

Really though I not music fan. I listen to mostly to grime and electronic and not even that often. Anyway good job.
Keep it up Melanie!
BTW I really like the Mad Hatter and Alphabet Boy illustration.

Reactions: Cyan and Ping Ether
B

Britney Spears

You've overdone yourself once again ma Jose, good job pretty boi.

Reactions: Cyan

Loriayle

Jun 3, 2016
America
Quite accurate. Funny, because I'm on my second round of listening to the album this week. Melanie, my favorite gap-toothed gal.

Reactions: Cyan
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

WiggedWigg wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy brithdta
Good morning Cube <3 Off to work >.<
Have a nice day everyone xx
This is YOUR daily dose of facts #55-
If a big or medium slime or magma cube is named with a name tag, and then dies, its smaller versions will have the same name.
Mintypie231 wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Happy birthday green budgie!! 🎂🎈
Xi1m wrote on Capitan's profile.
you’re officially cool
IMG_9112.jpeg
Top Bottom