Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
hello cubecraft! as we all might have noticed, theres a new game! Colony Control!

i played a couple of games and think this game is the best on cubecraft already, but what are your thoughts on the game? what should be different? what do you love/hate? here is my review on the game.

from the games i played, every game ended because the enemies left in the first 5 minutes, but i guess thats because most people have school :P
my first minutes in the game was just me looking around and trying to understand the game, until i noticed theres a tutorial book. the tutorial book was quite useful in my opinion as it had all the important details. i love how you have to mine and farm your way trough the first 10 minutes to gear up as soon as possible. sounds like a lot of time, right? i honestly think 10 minutes is short, but in the good way! it forces you to come up with a strategy on how to build stuff, when to build stuff and most important: work as a team. 10 minutes also gives the chance to learn the game and prevents rushing, so yay for that too! communication and teamwork is very important for sure, which mightb ecome a problem when playing with random people, but thats in basically every team game so im not too worried about this.

i was scared it would be like the walls, when hearing we had 10 minutes to gear up, but when i really started to understand the game? i noticed its a million times better and more complicated, this game has a lot of potential and would most likely get me back into playing cubecraft :) great job cubecraft team!

of course there are also things i'd like to see different and suggestions:
- first of all, i think it would be interesting to see something like an enchanter, where you can buy stuff like sharpness 1, obviously for a quite high price!
- i dont think the tutorial is too obvious and a lot of people will not notice it, i think it would be better to 'force' it into your face when waiting in the cage or lobby, and still have the book in game.
- a huge problem: team balance!!! some teams join as a party, while others play alone, and by that dont get a full team maybe. this will get unfair games where you get 3v1.... its possible to win, but very hard :(
- a way to prevent trolling. i can see it happen already, people placing towers in the most stupid ways to think of! accident, or teamgriefing? people who play tower defence know this problem already, and im afraid it might happen here too.

what do you guys think of the game? i would love to hear your experience!
have a nice day everybody :)

edit:
just had my first few games with pvp and... well, there's place for improvement here maybe.
- i just had a guy with 6 dogs, and there's no way in hell i could defeat him because of it, they just deal too much damage in my opinion.
- its kinda annoying how you can rebuild your town hall after it got destroyed, i think it should be just like eggwars/bedwars where it means death=game over, and nothing can prevent it

Last edited:

LeCastel

Dedicated Member
Aug 23, 2016
The Shattered Plains
Personally I think it's the best game they've added in years. It's simple, fun and from my experience not something that drags on and on for ages. Bit frustrating with random teammates (apparently it's not that simple for everyone), but I guess I'll have to party up once in a while.

i love how you have to mine and farm your way trough the first 10 minutes to gear up as soon as possible. sounds like a lot of time, right? i honestly think 10 minutes is short, but in the good way! it forces you to come up with a strategy on how to build stuff, when to build stuff and most important: work as a team.
10 minutes feels very short, but I also like short games. I'd rather see the rate of gold income be higher than an extended early game. On the other hand, at the end of the 10 minutes I pretty much always had al I needed and I play solo (which can eat up a lot of time too; trying to help teammates or just end up doing everything alone). If you have a small party that is coordinated I doubt you have too little time.

- first of all, i think it would be interesting to see something like an enchanter, where you can buy stuff like sharpness 1, obviously for a quite high price!
I disagree. I think they should keep it like this. I'm not against new additions and changes etc, but I like how it's a pretty quick game. If your team dies it's pretty much gameover, without enchantments you still have a bit of a change to fight back.

i dont think the tutorial is too obvious and a lot of people will not notice it, i think it would be better to 'force' it into your face when waiting in the cage or lobby, and still have the book in game.
Agreed. A book tutorial is just lazy and bad. That's my 2 cents on it. The majority of players barely look at it, if they can even read yet. That's not meant to be an insult, but euh... yeah half the server hasn't figured out the difference between 1.8 and 1.9+ pvp yet. So I don't think a book guide is gonna help the people that really need it.

a huge problem: team balance!!! some teams join as a party, while others play alone, and by that dont get a full team maybe. this will get unfair games where you get 3v1.... its possible to win, but very hard :(
I really like this game, but it's also yet another game that is easily dominated with a party. And I rather play solo, but that's just me. (Just played a game with a party in between typing this post and we flew through every single team.. without any problem. I don't think the playerbase is big enough for it sadly enough, but would love to a seperate random and party mode for example).
a way to prevent trolling. i can see it happen already, people placing towers in the most stupid ways to think of! accident, or teamgriefing? people who play tower defence know this problem already, and im afraid it might happen here too.
I'm already going crazy how people place buildings lol. I'm placing some buildings neatly packed together... turn around and see half the field filled with just 4 buildings :/

Last edited:

404Owl

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
the procrasti-nation
I agree with a lot if this. There’s not really a whole lot cubecraft can do about people in a party winning though. Playing with friends and being able to talk to each other is just an inherent advantage.

My opinions on balencing
-nerfing dogs. As you said, they are simply to op at the moment. I think they should be more expensive, and there should also be a limit on how many you can buy. I think a good limit would be 4-6, but thats just me

-town hall. I agree with what you said. Once your townhall is destroyed, that should be it. No more rebuilding. Someone could buy a stack of steak and just keep running until they have enough time to rebuild some buildings, which would be very annoying.

- bad tower placement. As you said, it’s the same issue as tower defense, but less obvious. Im not sure exactly what to do, but it’s something that I think should be looked into.

So those are my opinions on changes that should be made. I also have an idea about making this a permanent game.

This game should be semi-permanent. I personally, I think it should be permanent, but a lot of people will say that that will mean it won’t be as special or whatever. So, I have a compromise, as this is easily one of the best games to have been released in a very long time. So, my idea is to bring this game around during each holiday/season. After christmas, it would go away, and come back when all the easter maps and content comes back, and again for the summer content, etc. The map would change to fit the theme of the current holiday. So during spring, the map would be grassy, with lots if flowers, etc.

Those are my ideas for the game :) Let me know what you think, and sorry for such a long post lol

Thanks,
Owl

iLuvGeese

Apr 22, 2020
I think that this game should be a permanent game with new maps and major balancing.

Balancing:
-Nerf the dogs: You can have too many dogs and they can become very fast. I don't think the damage is the issue I think the issue is how fast they can become and how many you can get.
-I think that the health boost plus resistance is WAY too OP. You take nearly no damage combined with Gapples.

I believe that they should make bridge wars a rotator and this game a permanent.

MeliodasWrath

Aug 27, 2019
the UK *sips tea*
It is a very good game, I haven't played much of it myself but I feel myself getting bored, I kind of feel like it's too dragged out and should be compacted a bit. However the game itself is extremely well made an 8/10 from me!

ParkourCanadian

Novice Member
Sep 17, 2020
The United Nations of Planet Canada
it forces you to come up with a strategy on how to build stuff, when to build stuff and most important: work as a team. 10 minutes also gives the chance to learn the game and prevents rushing, so yay for that too! communication and teamwork is very important for sure, which mightb ecome a problem when playing with random people, but thats in basically every team game so im not too worried about this.
The problem with having such a teamwork-based game is that if you simply have less players than the enemy team, that puts you at a HUGE disadvantage. The first game I played of colony control, I was alone in a 1v2 scenario for half of the time before the walls fell. As a direct result of this, I couldn't get resources nearly as fast as my enemies, and since they already had much more upgraded buildings, I couldn't fight against their iron armor. Because of this, I was left fighting a 1v1 over and over with nothing but a wooden sword against someone with full iron and who knows how many golden apples.
In addition to this unfortunate game experience, the food aspect of the game is a little lame because you sprint-jump for like 0.52 seconds after respawning and instantly lose half of a hunger bar. Sure that's an over exaggeration, but it is still a very large problem when your enemies are at the very edge of your village (far away from your spawnpoint) just destroying everything. This weakness is magnified immensely when taking into account that you also don't possess the same gear/items you used to when you died last. This makes it so even with my above-average PvP skill, I still won't be able to defend my village from oncoming attackers.
When combining that swift loss of saturation with the expensiveness and few uses of "food," (or food-money, as I have begun to call it) it kind of makes the whole game less fun and more suffering as your colony slowly diminishes.

I would also like to acknowledge the pain of having to break the wheat in Bedrock Edition. I have yet to play the game in Java Edition due to the PvP factor (1.8/1.9+ PvP mechanics). Struggling to break the wheat in this game reminded me of how alloying ping can be in Bedrock Edition. You can break it, and it's like a luck-based game. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it replants. Nobody will know whether that click will count or not. Now, I don't think there is a solution to this particular problem because, like I said, it's in every Bedrock server (even survival). It's one of those features that just doesn't happen in Java. Just like how you can sprint-bridge, jump-bridge, or have to crouch to shield. Java players likely wont have to deal with this issue, but it is an ever-present annoyance to players who just want to get their wheat and git out!!

However, I am thankful for having experienced these situations so soon into playing the game for the first time. partially because I can pass it off as unlucky teammates/not knowing how the game works (like most people). I still dislike the immense imbalance that comes with simply having more teammates to collect more resources. Because of this factor of the gameplay, I feel like just having one more or less teammate in a 1v1 of different teams, losing just one player will drastically change the outcome of the game from easily winning, to crumbling defeat. Unfortunately, having less players from before the walls fall hurt just as much as losing them in battle. If you lose someone after the walls fell, they likely already upgraded/spawned in a few buildings. But if they are disconnected before the walls fall, their teammates aren't able to keep up the same production of resources that will lead to their potential victory!

I don't have really any solution to this issue, but I'm just sharing my thoughts on this, and how it drastically turns the tides of any game.

P.S. I am likely to make this into it's own suggestion forum post, so don't go stealin' it! hehe :)

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
The problem with having such a teamwork-based game is that if you simply have less players than the enemy team, that puts you at a HUGE disadvantage. The first game I played of colony control, I was alone in a 1v2 scenario for half of the time before the walls fell. As a direct result of this, I couldn't get resources nearly as fast as my enemies, and since they already had much more upgraded buildings, I couldn't fight against their iron armor. Because of this, I was left fighting a 1v1 over and over with nothing but a wooden sword against someone with full iron and who knows how many golden apples.
In addition to this unfortunate game experience, the food aspect of the game is a little lame because you sprint-jump for like 0.52 seconds after respawning and instantly lose half of a hunger bar. Sure that's an over exaggeration, but it is still a very large problem when your enemies are at the very edge of your village (far away from your spawnpoint) just destroying everything. This weakness is magnified immensely when taking into account that you also don't possess the same gear/items you used to when you died last. This makes it so even with my above-average PvP skill, I still won't be able to defend my village from oncoming attackers.
When combining that swift loss of saturation with the expensiveness and few uses of "food," (or food-money, as I have begun to call it) it kind of makes the whole game less fun and more suffering as your colony slowly diminishes.

I would also like to acknowledge the pain of having to break the wheat in Bedrock Edition. I have yet to play the game in Java Edition due to the PvP factor (1.8/1.9+ PvP mechanics). Struggling to break the wheat in this game reminded me of how alloying ping can be in Bedrock Edition. You can break it, and it's like a luck-based game. Sometimes it breaks, sometimes it replants. Nobody will know whether that click will count or not. Now, I don't think there is a solution to this particular problem because, like I said, it's in every Bedrock server (even survival). It's one of those features that just doesn't happen in Java. Just like how you can sprint-bridge, jump-bridge, or have to crouch to shield. Java players likely wont have to deal with this issue, but it is an ever-present annoyance to players who just want to get their wheat and git out!!

However, I am thankful for having experienced these situations so soon into playing the game for the first time. partially because I can pass it off as unlucky teammates/not knowing how the game works (like most people). I still dislike the immense imbalance that comes with simply having more teammates to collect more resources. Because of this factor of the gameplay, I feel like just having one more or less teammate in a 1v1 of different teams, losing just one player will drastically change the outcome of the game from easily winning, to crumbling defeat. Unfortunately, having less players from before the walls fall hurt just as much as losing them in battle. If you lose someone after the walls fell, they likely already upgraded/spawned in a few buildings. But if they are disconnected before the walls fall, their teammates aren't able to keep up the same production of resources that will lead to their potential victory!

I don't have really any solution to this issue, but I'm just sharing my thoughts on this, and how it drastically turns the tides of any game.

P.S. I am likely to make this into it's own suggestion forum post, so don't go stealin' it! hehe :)
glad to hear some feedback from bedrock too, i personally only play java, so the only real big difference seems to be the farm glitching.
what you said about the pvp is totally true! had a game earlier (3v2) enemy was in a huge adventage because they were with more, had better gear AND had golden apples while we didnt, but kept running when low. i feel like this was kinda lame, my solution to this would be making golden apples more expensive for example, so you cant heal too fast with them. then again, this is a tactic people use, so i cant blame cubecraft for this.

404Owl

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
the procrasti-nation
What if they added a mechanic where the game doesn't start if teams are unbalanced, similar to tower defense? That would help the huge problem of teams being 3v1.

Reactions: InkAsriel

Anthoken

May 21, 2016
I honestly love this gamemode and would love to see it as a permanent game! Its honestly the must fun i think i have had in cube for awhile! Its something completely new and it feels fresh! Only issue i have with the game so far is placing the towers! I find it hard to find the right spot and end up wasting alot of time just spam clicking around! Im not completely sure what a fix would be for this. I know there are red particles that show you how big the tower is but its honestly not super clear and kinda difficult to see all 4 sides and see where its placed wrong! but besides that i love the game so far and been enjoying it a ton!

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
something i still need to check is how useful the archer tower and walls as protection actually are, but i feel like a lot of new tower ideas could be suggested! the game is still completely fresh, so im excited to see where this is going :)

Reactions: 404Owl

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
I honestly love this gamemode and would love to see it as a permanent game! Its honestly the must fun i think i have had in cube for awhile! Its something completely new and it feels fresh! Only issue i have with the game so far is placing the towers! I find it hard to find the right spot and end up wasting alot of time just spam clicking around! Im not completely sure what a fix would be for this. I know there are red particles that show you how big the tower is but its honestly not super clear and kinda difficult to see all 4 sides and see where its placed wrong! but besides that i love the game so far and been enjoying it a ton!
yeah the building is a little bit of a struggle, i was barely able to place a pet shop because of how gigantic it is, so i first had to destroy a tree :P still really cool game mechanic tho!

Reactions: Anthoken and 404Owl

404Owl

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
the procrasti-nation
something i still need to check is how useful the archer tower and walls as protection actually are, but i feel like a lot of new tower ideas could be suggested! the game is still completely fresh, so im excited to see where this is going :)
Edit: oops misclicked. Here's my response lol. The walls have 500 durability, which is very annoying. One of the big problems is they are made out of generally white material, which blends in with the white theme of the map. This makes it easy to hide walls in some corner behind a tree or another building, making them very hard to spot. I think walls should be made out of more vibrant colors so as to make the ma little harder to spot.

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
Edit: oops misclicked. Here's my response lol. The walls have 500 durability, which is very annoying. One of the big problems is they are made out of generally white material, which blends in with the white theme of the map. This makes it easy to hide walls in some corner behind a tree or another building, making them very hard to spot. I think walls should be made out of more vibrant colors so as to make the ma little harder to spot.
ohh good to know! yeah you're completely right from what you're telling me, and maybe a bit less HP? 500 would mean 50 hits with a pickaxe, thats quite a lot

404Owl

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
the procrasti-nation
ohh good to know! yeah you're completely right from what you're telling me, and maybe a bit less HP? 500 would mean 50 hits with a pickaxe, thats quite a lot
Yea, 500 hp is a lot. Im pretty sure boulders have 350 (although I can't say they with 100% certainty) so I think 400 would be good. Also, adding diamond pickaxes that could deal 15 damage a hit to structures could be a fun thing to mess around with.

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
Yea, 500 hp is a lot. Im pretty sure boulders have 350 (although I can't say they with 100% certainty) so I think 400 would be good. Also, adding diamond pickaxes that could deal 15 damage a hit to structures could be a fun thing to mess around with.
would be great! and i think boulders have 600? not sure, but boulders are more meant for early game, so its more acceptable then a wall that needs to be destroyed, to actually win

404Owl

Dedicated Member
Mar 18, 2020
the procrasti-nation
would be great! and i think boulders have 600? not sure, but boulders are more meant for early game, so its more acceptable then a wall that needs to be destroyed, to actually win
Well if boulders have 600 hp then I need to have my memory checked lol. Anyway yea what you're saying about them being early game and having more hp does make sense. 500 hp is definitely too much for walls though, so I think 400-450 would be good.

LeCastel

Dedicated Member
Aug 23, 2016
The Shattered Plains
a huge problem: team balance!!! some teams join as a party, while others play alone, and by that dont get a full team maybe. this will get unfair games where you get 3v1.... its possible to win, but very hard :(
Sadly will remain an issue I'm afraid. If you are alone in Eggwars or TD for example you can still pull a win, but here it seems nearly impossible, because you just can't do much on your own in terms of building - which puts you at a huge disadvantage. With a bit of luck you can break down the buildings from a neighboring colony, but the changes of that (while being undetected yourself and without other teams breaking your stuff) are slim.
-I think that the health boost plus resistance is WAY too OP. You take nearly no damage combined with Gapples.
Agreed. It's kinda ridiculous; I was as good as immortal with all 3 up and running. I'd be totally fine if level 1 was be the max for speed, resistance and health.
I don't use them and can't say the ones build by the other teams have ever been even just a slight annoyance to me.
I don't believe you need to break the walls to be able to destroy the townhall, right?

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
they announced a small update on the gamemode a few minutes ago on discord:

- When a Boulder or Tree is broken in Colony Control every player who helped break it is now given their fair percentage of gold. (Java & Bedrock)
- When placing an already upgraded Running Track, Gym, or Hospital in Colony Control the correct effects are given to you. (Java & Bedrock)
- Your gold & food can now no longer glitch into the negatives in Colony Control. (Java & Bedrock)
- Miner & Farmers guild now give you an extra worker for every upgrade in Colony Control (Java & Bedrock)

great updates for sure! :) especially the last one is very nice in my opinion

Reactions: 404Owl
Members Online

Latest profile posts

vPhaseAsu wrote on Frontlane's profile.
1713905163373.png
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Baploon's profile.
Happy Birthday!:D
ninjaaleen wrote on qKhalidd's profile.
hi
UncleSpect wrote on itsfadedaway's profile.
thank you for the follow! 🎈
UncleSpect wrote on Valyo_nepobedim's profile.
thank you for the follow! 🎈
Top Bottom