Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Should Cubecraft edit upcoming changes to PvP?

• Shields shouldn't reduce all damage.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cubecraft should use its current armor.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
So later versions in Minecraft change PvP a lot lees life what most people think. Cubecraft will most likely only have to worry slightly about two changes though: shields and armor.

Shields
The changes:
  • reduce knockback 100% from all attacks
  • reduce damage 100% (from 66% in 1.9-1.10)
  • No durability taken from attacks less than 3 damage.
They have been made to be incredibly OP in 1.11+ especially with their durability. Most 1.11+ PvP servers fix this by reducing he durability of shields significantly but I don't think that's how Cubecraft should nerf them.

In games like Skywars and Eggwars having shields reduce knockback even from melee hits will be the main problem imo. I think the whole server should have knockback with shields just for consistency but it would only really be needed in games with void.

The second sort of nerf that I believe should happen has to do with turtling damage. When 1.11 first came out I was able to sit in a corner while fighting two of my friends, who were better PvPers than me, for almost a full minute before my shield broke. This will probably be extremely annoying in duels where it would most extend fights.
There are two ideas I really that I heard from other people:
  • When playing with @MagnificentSpam in some 1.11 PvP server he suggested that melee weapons should do a significant amount of durability damage to prevent turtling. I think this is the best idea.
  • Another friend of mine, alexcapo456, suggested that swords have a chance of disabling shields just like how axes do. I think this would also work very well.
Armor
1.9.2 changes armor values a lot and we've actually been using incredibly strong armor compared to what's in vanilla. A very good thread about this subject is https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/f...ver-isnt-currently-completely-1-9-pvp.180824/ by @hyperBravo .

I think for the most part the new armor should be kept as Cubecraft fights are significantly slower than vanilla fights which is one of the main reasons that people I see say they don't like 1.9 PvP for. But I think there is still one big problem with the new armor system: axes

Now axes are pretty useless when you get to enchanted diamond gear, but for all other armor they are incredibly overpowered. Iron armor is two shot in later version by a stone axe. This would make buying iron armor in eggwars worthless as you will be two shot with leather armor anyway by people with stone axes. (chain will be absolutely useless) I think that Cubecraft should nerf the axe damage like one of the 1.12 PvP servers I play on did.
Here is what I think would be a good balance:
  • Wood axe - 6 damage (same speed)
  • Stone axe - 7 damage (same speed)
  • iron axe - 8 damage (same speed)
  • Diamond axe - (no changes)
That would be perfect for me and is really what mojang should do to the axe values imo.

What do you peeps think they should do about these new changes?

Edit: I'm officially disabling autocorrect because of this poll. >:(

Thanks for reading! ♡

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
Currently shields are incredibly useless.
For those who lag the tiniest bit, you need to be shielding for at least a second before it can do any arrow blocking.
In Cube, people still take damage through shields which is a good thing in my opinion. Giving shields 100% damage reduction would completely break the balance between swords and axes currently, as all a person has to do is shield up and wait form their axe to charge in order to smack someone with a big ol' axe crit. Repeat multiple times and you've killed someone in full diamond. This is also what I assume you mean by "turtling". (blocking many hits to wait for your weapon to charge back up)

Now: Just reducing the knockback with a shield in melee makes more sense to me than completely nullifying all knockback. I much prefer it this way, and it's extremely helpful in void based games. (I realize that you also mentioned this not being affected on void games, but I rather not have it affected at all)

The no durability rule is a change I wouldn't mind. It won't affect me much as long as shields don't reduce all knockback.

Or in short:
100% damage reduction: No. Maybe it could depend on the weapon though.
Reducing all knockback: Definitely no.
Durability change that was made in 1.10/1.11: Sure I guess.
  • When playing with @MagnificentSpam in some 1.11 PvP server he suggested that melee weapons should do a significant amount of durability damage to prevent turtling. I think this is the best idea.
  • Another friend of mine, alexcapo456, suggested that swords have a chance of disabling shields just like how axes do. I think this would also work very well.
Spam's idea: 100% agree.
Alex' idea: Wouldn't really fit with the vanilla feeling now would it... I don't really like this one. I am basing this opinion off of the things I've said above relating to the shields buffs/nerfs by the way.

I think for the most part the new armor should be kept as Cubecraft fights are significantly slower than vanilla fights which is one of the main reasons that people I see say they don't like 1.9 PvP for. But I think there is still one big problem with the new armor system: axes

Now axes are pretty useless when you get to enchanted diamond gear, but for all other armor they are incredibly overpowered. Iron armor is two shot in later version by a stone axe. This would make buying iron armor in eggwars worthless as you will be two shot with leather armor anyway by people with stone axes. (chain will be absolutely useless) I think that Cubecraft should nerf the axe damage like one of the 1.12 PvP servers I play on did.
That would be perfect for me and is really what mojang should do to the axe values imo.
From what I've seen, axes are rather weak compared to swords. Axes are incredibly powerful, yet hard, maybe even impossible to combo with if you're fighting a good player. Most of the time, you'll be able to overwhelm people by jumping around them and continuously critting them and deal more damage than the axe. I don't really see the point in changing this myself, so feel free to give me examples.

skps2010

Mar 12, 2016
Taiwan
For shields I have an idea:
Shields should be kept vanilla, but add something called "damage counter".

Every player has something called "damage counter", by default they will be set to 0.When they are hit by melee attack while blocking with shields, their damage counter will be increased by the damage they take. Once their damage counter reach a number (I choose 14), their shields will be disabled for 5 seconds, and their damage counter will be reset to 0.

Also every player's damage counter will be decreased by 1 every 0.5 second until they reach 0.

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
I am not really sure what shield system I'd like, I'd probably have to test it in game to decide. Generally I don't like servers adding their own big changes from the vanilla combat confusing players and making it hard to play on multiple servers.
Maybe implementing a way to disable a shield with a sword hit would be enough, if the chance was high enough, a player would automatically take a significant amount of damage and knockback if he just tries to block all the time.
I wouldn't mind stone and iron axes being nerfed, but it should be made very obvious to the player. I played on a server that had nerfed axes for a while until I realised it, usually I wouldn't expect that. Considering the amount of players that still don't know about the attack cooldown I think you have to be really careful with custom game mechanics.
For shields I have an idea:
Every player has something called "damage counter", by default they will be set to 0.

When they are hit by melee attack while blocking with shields, their damage counter will increase by the damage they take. Once their damage counter reach a number (I choose 14), their shields will be disable for 5 seconds, and their damage counter will be reset to 0.

Also every player's damage counter will decrease by 1 every 0.5 second until they reach 0.
Is that raw damage or the damage after armor applied? Would the shield disable more often if players have better weapons and armor? I like the general idea, but I am not sure how a server could implement that in a way that doesn't look too weird and out of place. But this would be my favourite way for Mojang to nerf shields, maybe by showing a breaking overlay on the shield depending its current "damage counter" value. @logicalpencils also suggested something like that here.

Reactions: Power Ranger
F

Facelurite

Look, as for shields , please uodate them to 1.11 . They are pretty unnecessary in 1.10 and i believe that what Mojang did does not break them in the slightest.

As for hunger , you should not eat unless you take damage.

Sure , 1.11 didnt do that but it certainly made it better . 1.11 fixed the issues of 1.9

pls update to 1.12 spherecraft

MagnificentSpam

Forum Expert
Mar 16, 2016
They are pretty unnecessary in 1.10 and i believe that what Mojang did does not break them in the slightest.
Maybe not broken, but they do change combat a lot if they are at full durability. They make fights slower and last longer, 1.8 players might be even less likely to give it a try. In a 2v1 situation they give a huge advantage to the team, which I wouldn't like for minigames like skywars or survival games. I tried to make a balanced FFA kit with a shield once and I gave it leather armor vs iron/diamond armor of other kits and it can still kill them in a 1v1, last time I tried it I was asked to give it slowness to nerf it even more.
hgC6mGN.png

Reactions: Power Ranger
F

Facelurite

Circle strafe and hit them from behind. It is inconvienient to carry an axe all the time however

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
The changes:
They also gained a major buff they are more than doubled the durability now
1.9.2 changes armor values a lot and we've actually been using incredibly strong armor compared to what's in vanilla.
funny you mention that, the armour values we have now werent even the original plan, in the very early 1.9 snapshots, armor was initially going to be released into the full version in a different way, originally it was that diamond had the most durability but provided the least protection, and leather was the opposite, least duribility but most protection
That works if you have two attackers. Otherwise they just turn around. Unless they have a lot of lag that is.
thats not fast enough there is a delay before the shield actually blocks

skps2010

Mar 12, 2016
Taiwan
I am not really sure what shield system I'd like, I'd probably have to test it in game to decide. Generally I don't like servers adding their own big changes from the vanilla combat confusing players and making it hard to play on multiple servers.
Maybe implementing a way to disable a shield with a sword hit would be enough, if the chance was high enough, a player would automatically take a significant amount of damage and knockback if he just tries to block all the time.
I wouldn't mind stone and iron axes being nerfed, but it should be made very obvious to the player. I played on a server that had nerfed axes for a while until I realised it, usually I wouldn't expect that. Considering the amount of players that still don't know about the attack cooldown I think you have to be really careful with custom game mechanics.

Is that raw damage or the damage after armor applied? Would the shield disable more often if players have better weapons and armor? I like the general idea, but I am not sure how a server could implement that in a way that doesn't look too weird and out of place. But this would be my favourite way for Mojang to nerf shields, maybe by showing a breaking overlay on the shield depending its current "damage counter" value. @logicalpencils also suggested something like that here.
It' s raw damage, so armors won't help. There is a vanilla server called Vanilla Legacy. It uses the method I mentioned above (it uses durability instead of damage counter). I think it's really good.

Pitufo01

Novice Member
Mar 26, 2017
A Little Village Somewhere inPortugal
So later versions in Minecraft change PvP a lot lees life what most people think. Cubecraft will most likely only have to worry slightly about two changes though: shields and armor.

Shields
The changes:
They have been made to be incredibly OP in 1.11+ especially with their durability. Most 1.11+ PvP servers fix this by reducing he durability of shields significantly but I don't think that's how Cubecraft should nerf them.

In games like Skywars and Eggwars having shields reduce knockback even from melee hits will be the main problem imo. I think the whole server should have knockback with shields just for consistency but it would only really be needed in games with void.

The second sort of nerf that I believe should happen has to do with turtling damage. When 1.11 first came out I was able to sit in a corner while fighting two of my friends, who were better PvPers than me, for almost a full minute before my shield broke. This will probably be extremely annoying in duels where it would most extend fights.
There are two ideas I really that I heard from other people:
Armor
1.9.2 changes armor values a lot and we've actually been using incredibly strong armor compared to what's in vanilla. A very good thread about this subject is https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/f...ver-isnt-currently-completely-1-9-pvp.180824/ by @hyperBravo .

What do you peeps think they should do about these new changes?

Edit: I'm officially disabling autocorrect because of this poll. :mad:

Thanks for reading! ♡
Nice Idea

Members Online

Members online

Latest profile posts

Reesle wrote on UnfWasTaken's profile.
Welcome to the Official Cubecraft Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay!
Cool pfp btw 🌟
Reesle wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congrats on 500 msgs!
Amazinq wrote on JellyFish01's profile.
Hbd
Eli
So I’m working through some thread ideas and I can’t choose which one to do first, what sounds more interesting to you?

- How CubeCraft can implement the new 1.21 features
- I studied the Java Minecraft Server Market, here is what CubeCraft can do better
Top Bottom