1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ymbmg95's guide to tower defence

Discussion in 'Tower Defence' started by ymbmg, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ymbmg

ymbmg Member

Alright, for starters, let me say that the tiki tower has not been added as of the time of this post.

I'm posting my own guide and thoughts on things, and I'm assuming those reading know how to place towers, sell them, not place out of grid, etc. At the time of this post, I'm in 4th place, my username is ymbmg95, I have 937 wins, and I've played 1136 matches total. Here are some screenshots of my stats for proof:
    . [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This may sound cliche or like bragging, but I'd venture to say a good 100 of those matches that I didn't win were disconnections. I have had some horribly bad slip ups where I've left defense unchecked and let things get passed, I've had some truly outstanding matches, and some of those losses were well deserved too, because my opponents (or at least one of them) were really good.

This guide will be directed towards a few audiences... those seeking to be good as just individuals at the start, and then an almost-totally-different guide for those that hope to be a pro team.

Soloing

So let me begin with those going solo... your journey will be a long one. We'll start off by taking a look at offense and defense. If I were running solo (not inviting friends or players we know). I'd only use zombies for exp (more on exp ratios in a bit) and I'd let my team do defense. I'd let the team know what was sent at us and only place if needed. You'll want to make reservations in the back, the very 2 spots closest to the castle. To do this, throw up some level 1 archer towers right there. You'll want to sell them (both of them) and replace them if (and only if) mobs make it to the castle. I'll list what i would toss up below:

Artillery for all hordes of ground mobs.
    Zeus for a giant.
    Mage for cave spiders.
    Zeus or archers for flying mobs (archers are already there, so you could just upgrade them).

Regardless of what you've placed, maxing the towers are in your best interest. Especially Zeus towers for a giant, two of them maxed will kill a giant pretty fast back there.

You'll want to minimize your expenses in every way possible though. If you have enough coins (an optimal amount), you'll want to send 12 blazes and support them with potions roughly one minute before armageddon mode kicks in. If all goes well, they'll need 17 seconds at the enemy castle and they'll reach it right as armageddon hits. You don't want to be too early, just because the castle guard does damage to your mobs too. The guards get taken out at armageddon though, and castle health drops to roughly 20%. If you send way too early, your blazes will need a full minute at their castle (assuming the other team is still at 200 health). Another question that might arise is... "Why not 2 giants.... why the 12 blazes?" and to answer that, let me throw some stats at you.

2 giants cost 12,000 coins, they have a total of 4,400 health together, all towers can harm them, they cost more exp to even unlock, (1,500 exp) so there's some extra expenses there. On the other hand, 12 blazes cost 9,600 coins, only Zeus, archer, turret, and leach can hurt them, and they have a combined health of 4,920 (that's 410 each by the way). There's a bit more to this though... if zombies or ground mobs are nearby any flying entity and artillery towers light into them, it WILL hurt the blazes, I'd wager my 900+ wins on it. Generally, blazes get passed more often than giants do.

Defense

Let's talk defense now... and I won't spare a detail. I'll list priorities (last actually), critical spots, bridges, tower "stacking", tower combos, each mob's weakness, "quality over quantity", and glitches regarding blazes. So first up, before I mention priorities, I feel I need to say "Don't place mage towers on corners.", that said, let's think about why. Mage towers do not affect wither skeletons, pigmen, endermites, and blazes. So already, there's 4 mobs that can't be touched by them. Furthermore, you want towers that can hit a mob multiple times around on corners... mage towers might do this if you freeze the mobs or if they walk really slow, but generally, you want other towers on a corner. Now for a more serious topic, critical spots. These are crucial for dealing with early rushes and for flying mobs. These are spots that can hit mobs multiple times around, or generally places that have lanes on both sides of the towers (perhaps three sides). Take this picture from demons as an example:

[​IMG]

This allows the towers to hit on the further side (behind the towers from my view), around the corners, and on the other side. Placing towers in spots like these help you avoid getting hit from early rushes. Note here that flying mobs are especially pesky, archer towers in places like these are necessary, but not every spot like this needs to be filled with archer towers. Moving on, let's talk about bridges and Candy. Towers under bridges can spawn things up on top of the bridges,
    this includes, but is not limited to: artillery towers, mage towers, sorcerer towers, Zeus towers, and more. There's a bit of intuition for deciding which can and can't, towers like archer towers (that shoot arrows that can't go through blocks) are an exception, and in general, towers that don't spawn... whatever it is that they fire... do not have the ability to attack mobs on top of bridges. Candy's bridge is the only exception to this rule at the time of this post, and to clarify, Candy is a place.

Alright... just to state which towers don't stack, and just what "stacking" refers to, I'll go into detail here. For towers like mage towers, when they burn a mob, nearby mage towers, do not increase the damage of the burn, nor do they reset the burn until the effect runs out. They also don't add another burn on top of the burn that's already on the mobs, because of this, we say that "mage towers do not stack". Simply because the effects of multiple mage towers do not coexist on top of each other, hence the term "stacking". Poison towers, mage towers, ice towers, and even quake towers do not stack, all others can. Even with 12 maxed quake towers near each other, mobs can walk by, without a continual stun. Hence why quake towers should not be stacked.

Tower combos are interesting, the picture in demons above shows a nice example of a good combo. The quake tower stuns mobs near the artillery towers, and gives the artillery more time to blow up mobs in range. Imagine one quake and one artillery tower, not being near each other. Surely enough, both will do damage, but the stuns from the quake tower won't give the artillery tower more time to hit the mobs. Having them together makes your defense that much more capable.

I'm rather bored of paraphrasing everything, so I'm going to give mob weaknesses in a list like order below in a generalizing format.

Ground hordes - artillery and quake towers
    Cave hordes - mage towers, and potions
    Giants - necromancer towers, though Zeus does a good amount of damage too
    Flying mobs - archer towers, Zeus towers, and potions (Note: There are no towers that do air AoE damage.)
    Wither - sorcerer towers, as the mobs block the wither from blowing up towers

Another serious idea regards tower levels, as opposed to how many towers you place. Removing the abstractions from that previous statement, let's look at what I mean precisely. Suppose we want some more artillery damage going, but we have only 600 coins to make it happen. Should we go for six level one artillery towers or one level four artillery tower? Here comes some stats again: one level one artillery tower fires one TNT once every ten seconds, a level four artillery tower fires four TNT at a time, once every four seconds. In twenty seconds, that level four artillery will have fired twenty TNT. In the same amount of time, those six artillery towers will have fired only 12 TNT. The choice seems obvious... (and is rightly so) that level four artillery tower is going to help out a lot more. Now, if you're even a bit serious about this, you'll be wondering "How much does a maxed out artillery tower cost?", and the answer is 550 coins - that's 50 less than the six level one artillery tower. So as far as tower level versus how many of them you have, tower levels are more important. My brother himself coined the term "quality over quantity", and I made it popular. Since then, I've seen many pros just say "quality over quantity". Quality, of course, being tower level, and quantity being the number of towers of some type. A further note - quality over quantity is a concept that applies to all towers, not just artillery towers. I only used artillery towers as an example.

I'll keep this idea short and sweet, as of the time of this post, blazes damage certain castles slower at certain places, sometimes not even doing damage at all. What I mean is... out of 12 blazes, only 7 of them may attack at normal speed. Candy and Teaguns have this issue, blazes don't always attack all at once here at these maps (or levels, or whatever), and blue team's castle at Hillside gets damaged slower by blazes too. I believe this is due to a glitch, for rather obvious reasons not stated here.

Deep breath, we're almost done.... with defense of course. There will be more on offense after this. Let's mention the notion of priority towers and timing, and a quick look at getting goldmine efficiently. Towers have a level of priority, and though I won't describe all of the "why?"s to you, I'll mention a few here:

A maxed mage preferably where it hits mobs twice around is great to have at the beginning of a match. It handles mobs up to cave spiders and keeps you covered for about one minute, sometimes longer.... sometimes a lot longer. Let me state once more that tower level matters more than having several towers. of the same type.

Turret towers are garbage! No, I'm not kidding in the slightest. Maxed turret towers fire 3 arrows every 0.5 seconds (so that's 12 in 2 seconds). Two maxed archer towers fire 16 arrows (4 arrows per second for an individual archer tower at max level) in 2 seconds... I need not tell you more as it is... but I will. The two maxed archer towers also cost less than the turret tower. It's 800 coins for one turret tower, and 412 for two maxed archer towers. The level one turret already costs more coins than the two archer towers as it is, but to top it off, the stats I gave earlier were for a max leveled turret tower, not a level one turret tower. The level one turret tower costs 800 coins and fires only one arrow per second. The other upgrades cost 500 and 600 coins respectively from there. There's one good side to a maxed turret.... this is more or less a joke.... they launch arrows that are on fire. Seeing how two-thirds of the flying mobs (silverfish, endermites, and blazes) are immune to this, the flame arrows aren't even worth it!

I'm not going to go into specifics of potions, but out of the four of them, I prefer freeze potions and meteor potions. Feel free to challenge my choice of potions, but keep in mind that if you get all four, you're spending loads of coins for exp, followed by the exp itself, then more coins on top of that for each individual potion. So I like to keep it simple with just two of them.

Leach towers are not a high priority, in fact, I don't like seeing my team use them at all. The shock doesn't go off often, sometimes it doesn't when you need it the most, and really, 2,000 coins for any tower.... that's pricey. It may be an opinionated statement, but 2,000 coins spent on something that has a chance of helping... isn't worth it to me, and thus, I don't deem is worthy of being a priority or even placed at all. (On another note: The shock-wave doesn't even take out half of a creeper's health.) Swords and bows are not a priority for a very similar reason, however, I'm not going to go into detail on them.

Finally, your goldmine.... let me ask you this: "What's necessary regardless of what you're going to buy?" and the answer is: "coins and exp!"
    You naturally get 5 coins per second ("cps" for short). Upgrading your goldmine, which is how many coins you get per second, helps you buy whatever it is that you want, regardless of what it is. I find 25 cps and 50 cps to be optimal, but be careful going for 50 cps... and that leads me to mention another idea....

exp ratios...
    you get exp (needed for goldmine) by sending mobs. I strongly... strongly... strongly advise ONLY using zombies if you plan to go for 25 cps while on defense, especially early on. As tempting as it may be to rush for high goldmine, sending too many expensive mobs early on leaves defense in a bad state. Think about it, you've just exhausted your coins, and you've sent them mobs that give them lots of coins. So they can easily launch a counterattack that you will leave your team in a state of chaos. Your whole team will be focused on placing towers to stop their counterattack, and now... they're busy with towers and potions. If they're using all of their cash on getting those towers up, they stop going for goldmine! Look at this mess, you're now in a world of hurt. Your team isn't focused on their income, defense is left shaky early on because you went for more expensive mobs, which costed exp, which means to get that exp that it costed you, you had to send mobs and spend coins, and worse yet, you can barely contribute to your team because you're broke. To avoid that mess, I suggest using only zombies. You'll still have cash for a decent starting defense, you won't leave your team in a mess, and something I haven't mentioned yet... zombies cost 10 coins, and give 5 exp back. That 10 coin to 5 exp ratio is the highest of all other mobs that you can send. That is, you get back 50% of your coins as exp. That percentage is lower for all other mobs.

I prefer roughly 4 sorcerer towers, 20 artillery towers, 2 quake towers, 4 necromancer towers, a mage tower or 2, roughly 20 or more archers, and a few ice towers by the archers... all of which are max leveled towers by armageddon mode.

Offense

Your ability to strike with deadly precision is key. When you devote yourself to taking out the other team, and not supporting defense, which needless to say, is what's keeping your team from losing, you had better go at it with the intention to do real damage. Take a look at the Soloing and Defense sections above to get a good feel for which mobs will get taken out by which towers. You can learn a lot about offense by looking deep into defense, and quickly coming up with a "yes, that will work" or "no, those mobs will die", is an art all to itself. The mathematics behind it is deep and intense... and just picture it. You're taking into account so many variables. There's how many coins each player has on hand, which is usually just an intuitive guess, there's the skill level of each player, the probability of any player to have potions on hand, their goldmine, the towers they have up, the speed of the mobs that you send, the communication skills of the other team, how much damage you'll likely do... all of those factors stated go into deciding which mobs you should send. For reasons stated in the exp ratio subsection of defense, I advise using only zombies for goldmine. How you run offense is ultimately up to you, but I personally have found that 25 cps, 12 blazes, and potions to support them works the best. I'm speaking out of statistics gathered from my experiences playing Tower Defence. (spelled with a "c" in most countries) Out of my 1,136 matches, I've had my blazes taken out less than 20 times.

I hope my guide has helped, thanks for reading, and I look forward to playing TD with all of you!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  2. Kingstoyou

Kingstoyou Member

Brilliant.

3. emmy

emmy Member

^^^^^

4. EdwardDarksword

EdwardDarksword Member

I got to see this strat in a game because I was in one with ym and it worked well. I tried it today and won a ton!

5. Markghostflame

Markghostflame Member

Nice one fam.

6. RockBob4

RockBob4 Member

That is a lot of text.

7. zDutchie

zDutchie Mod Staff Member Moderator

Student
    ^

Just hit me up to play sometime and teach me how to play a proper game of tower defense :x

8. RockBob4

RockBob4 Member

Me too. :) I'm okay at it, but you are a legend.

9. hyperBravo

hyperBravo Member

Infested Siege Tank Operator
    One tip I found out is that cave spiders are the 2nd best mob to send for XP. We know that zombies have a 1:2 ratio (1 XP per 2 coins), but they're not the best for mass XP in such a short time. Cave spiders refund 42% (180 XP total per wave, which is 3 times as much in terms of XP refund with 8% difference). No other unlockable mob beats caves.

10. ymbmg

ymbmg Member

I do like to use cave spiders when I'm going for 50 cps, and they're just right for going for it. However, I do not recommend that everyone go for it at the same time throughout a match. As I stated above, it can leave your team in a messy situation, and really, my team and I try to do matches without taking a single damage.

11. ymbmg

ymbmg Member

I'm liking the positive comments on the guide! I like to see a lot of thought going into a conversation like this too.

12. ymbmg

ymbmg Member

I'd be happy to play with you sometime and really show you a game worth seeing. My schedule right now is a bit messy though, but whenever you're around the Tower Defence lobby, just look for me.

13. hyperBravo

hyperBravo Member

Usually if 1 person sends the giant and needs 25 cps then caves are needed. Rest of the team should commit to building defenses and/or support the giant.

14. Prododgy

Prododgy Member

Hi dude , Thnx for the guide. It helped me out a ton. Especially the part of tower placing was very helpfull to me. Cya in TowerDefense!

15. HScrozzy

HScrozzy Member

What I need is a guide to never get dumb teammates, then I'm set.

16. ymbmg

ymbmg Member

That one made me laugh. I feel the same way early in the mornings, and really late at night.

17. hyperBravo

hyperBravo Member

Happens a lot, but if you do the solo strategy, you can still win.

18. hyperBravo

hyperBravo Member

Also a good tip is to always try to spawn at least a full wave of zombies or part of that every 15 seconds, depending on what you need, be it towers or tower upgrades.

19. ymbmg

ymbmg Member

I may post more, if I get enough requests. This guide is good, but it doesn't cover everything... I'll post a complete version (one where I withhold absolutely no information from the public) only if I receive enough requests from those who are interested. I didn't touch on concepts like unison lifting on a giant, golem error, effective regeneration negation, the offense-defense balance for pro teams, proper goldmine leveling, offense's duty to defense announcement, sorcerer optimization, and more. Some of the concepts above are easy to grasp just from the title. "Offense's duty to defense announcement" refers to offense announcing what comes. Offense grinds exp until it's ready to strike, but it shouldn't neglect telling defense what's coming. Defense does typically stop watching what's being sent at them. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, they may be upgrading or placing as needed. More to come only if i receive requests!

Again, thanks for reading! It's been a pleasure to share what I know with you all. I'd love to see other pro teams start rising, and I'd love to see my team, known as "The Fam", be pushed to get better as competition grows fierce.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    hyperBravo likes this.
  20. 1212hawks_

1212hawks_ Member

Playing on Cubecraft
    Home Page: