Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Should the server update to a new version??

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HenriqueLB

Jul 13, 2022
I think the 1.9 server should update to a new version, like 1.16 or 1.19, because of the changes to improve combat. I HATE the way shields work on old versions... Also, there would be more items, like crossbows and tridents, and also netherite stuff... I think updating to 1.16+ would improve the server and also bring new players to it. Sorry if I said something wrong, my english is not good XD

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
Looking at the statistics a significant group of players prefer playing on 1.12.2, this is (as mentioned by @Rocks1) due to lag, among other things such as some pvp clients only being available in 1.12.2. I'd also like to add that there's already a lot of work that needs to be done on fixing bugs, bringing out new updates, and optimising the server as a whole, this would all be very problematic when updating to a newer version due to the fact that a lot of code changed in the 1.13 update. Updating now would mean a lot of work, for relatively little new pvp features, and at risk of upsetting the existing community.

In conclusion; I do agree updating could add a lot of cool blocks and items, however considering the drawbacks I don't think it's worth it currently.

As a sidenote, your English was perfectly fine! English is a hard language, just keep in mind practice makes perfect, keep practicing and you'll get better in no time! <3

Reactions: FoxFil_ and Siza

lvminary

Novice Member
Feb 23, 2020
Germany
I HATE the way shields work on old versions...
The shield changes are on the server's side. In 1.12.2 they were already like you know them from 1.16+, in fact the "new" shields were introduced in 1.11. CubeCraft just reverted shields to replicate the 1.9/1.10 mechanics for some reason.

other things such as some pvp clients only being available in 1.12.2
Not true. All major clients support at least 1.16.5.

At the same time I want to state for everyone that on the announcement why CubeCraft went to 1.12.2 instead of the latest version is because the code base changed too much in 1.13+ that they can "just" update. 1.12.2 is just a mid-stop to make the transition to 1.13+ a lot easier, not because it's overall the better version/the version people prefer. CubeCraft is already working on it.

Goldy

Novice Member
Mar 31, 2021
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/She/They
Not true. All major clients support at least 1.16.5.
That depends what you consider a major client - CaloriMod, the client I, along with a lot of others, use, does not currently support 1.16.5 for example. This isn't a "major" client if you look at all of Java, however that's because it's Cube specific, looking at the Cube community alone, it's a very popular client.

CubeCraft is already working on it.
...They're not? The original thread I assume you're talking about said it "doesn't mean we won't be considering it in the future". It did not, at any point in that thread, say definitively they would be doing it, much less that they're already working on it.

I'd also like to point out that, while the data provided in the thread may be very outdated, it can still be used as a very rough reference point.

At the time of the deletion of previous versions (1.9 - 1.11) the total number affected was 64, between all the versions. That's compared to the (at that time) 300+ players of 1.12.2. Updating to even one version above 1.12.2 would already be affecting more people than were affected in the entire previous udpate removing several versions.

Obviously having access to newer data the Cubecraft Team might still come to different conclusions than us with our very limited and mostly outdated information, however as I see it currently, with the information I currently have, updating does not seem like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Kazwa wrote on Frontlane's profile.
1713570291417.png

I know right
JokeKaedee wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congratulations!! 🎊
JokeKaedee wrote on Frontlane's profile.
Gefeliciteerd mopje 🥰💕
JokeKaedee wrote on xSchulzis's profile.
Congrats 🎊💗
Tommy Boi wrote on xSchulzis's profile.
good job, good luck
Top Bottom