Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

coralines

Novice Member
Dec 20, 2018
TOWER DEFENSE SUGGESTIONS (how to improve the game for non-experienced players)

Hello there!

I have been gathering a few ideas from the overall Tower Defence community here on the forums, and have decided to compile some of them with additional suggestions on how to improve the current status of the game.

So, as you know, Tower Defense used to have a tutorial, which has been removed and is no longer accessible before starting the game. This has sadly led to lots of issues with new players, such as misplaced towers, occupying more slots than they should, placing 3x3 in 5x5 and vice versa.

From a semi decent player point of view, this becomes frustrating. Yes, we can report people doing that after telling them not to place them into incorrect slots, but it’s just counterproductive when these people are just unaware, as they were never taught how to play.

For this reason, I have decided to compile a few additions that in my opinion would be beneficial for the game, and would help more people learn how to play without feeling demoralized for being yelled at by more expert players.

TUTORIAL

A better tutorial of tower defence. by @caspar1500 is an example of how often we can have those issues in a game, and why we might need to add the tutorial back.

My suggestion would be something like this in a pregame lobby:

NumSWG1.png

Upon clicking on this book and quill named “Tutorial” before the game starts, you would get teleported to a custom tutorial of a couple of minutes at most, explaining:

1. How to correctly place towers and upgrade them

2. What each tower does

3. How to upgrade your goldmine

4. How to use potions

5. How to send troops and upgrade them

6. How to purchase tower upgrades with points
These are probably the most important points to discuss in a short tutorial that can help new players to learn the most basic things. If it is visual, that could be even better.

TOWER PLACEMENT

This is by far the biggest issue at the moment. After reading How to fix TD v2.0 by @_The13thDoctor_ I decided to elaborate some ideas a little further, with more concrete examples on how to fix the issue.

So, first of all, autoplacement / autoalignment should be a thing. Now, if you ask me what autoplacement / autoalignment is, that would be a tower fitting right into the 3x3 or 5x5 slot, no matter which of the 9 or 15 blocks you have right clicked on. This means that you will not need to right click on the central spot anymore. As long as you click on any of those blocks inside the slot, your tower will be automatically placed correctly.

Now, what happens if someone tries to place a 3x3 in a 5x5 and vice versa?

Easy.

TTMyJxp.png

Something like this would happen, and a message in the chat would pop up mentioning that you cannot place that tower in that specific area, as the tower is either too small or too big to fit in. This will eventually lead to no more reserving spots, but why would you need to reserve spots if someone isn’t going to misplace their towers anymore?? (Want to save a spot for a leach tower? Ask your team in the chat!)

Last but not least, the tower menu should let people know which size each tower has. Luckily for us, the towers are already aligned based on their size, so it’s not a big change. However, nothing mentions whether they’re going to fit in 3x3 or 5x5. That’s why I thought of something for the menu that will look like this:

MzZBF7a.png

Hovering over the orange glass panels will display that the towers in that line are 5x5, while the ones in the lime green glass panels are 3x3. This way, people will know what size their tower will be right away.

These were basically the top ideas that came to my mind when thinking of how to improve the game for newer players who don't have someone to guide them through. I was lucky enough to have someone teach me how to play the game, so I didn't really face these issues myself. However, if someone has to go through this game for the first time, I am 100% sure these few suggestions above will drastically make their experience better, easier, and more fun!

user947836

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
Nice, ideas, I have seen multiple tower defence improvement threads. I think this will be fixed.

Siza

Nov 11, 2018
Good idea! I can't disagree with any of your statements. There are indeed lots of players that don't know how to play Tower Defence because there is just not enough explanation.

HurmitCurtis

Jul 18, 2016
I don't know how many of these posts there has been including the ones I've written :( sadly we are wasting our time if they were going to sort it out then it would of been done in 2017 when they took the vote kick or after the first hundred of complaints about the new players.

Reactions: Shamel

Mecha_San

Dedicated Member
Jul 31, 2016
I don't know how many of these posts there has been including the ones I've written :( sadly we are wasting our time if they were going to sort it out then it would of been done in 2017 when they took the vote kick or after the first hundred of complaints about the new players.
Rip. Why threads need more attention overall. Or just tag the staff but we don't want to make them read it though. Anyways, yes I agree with this thread. This could apply to all games because new players (most of the time) don't know how to play these games because seeing the rules on how to play these games are pretty hard to find, well for new players at least.

Reactions: God.

HurmitCurtis

Jul 18, 2016
Rip. Why threads need more attention overall. Or just tag the staff but we don't want to make them read it though. Anyways, yes I agree with this thread. This could apply to all games because new players (most of the time) don't know how to play these games because seeing the rules on how to play these games are pretty hard to find, well for new players at least.
But when u tag the staff they tell you not to etc, it is hard for new players you are right and it makes it equally as hard for the old players of it I entered 5 games of it yesterday but left 3 due to players. So 2 games I played from start to finish.

coralines

Novice Member
Dec 20, 2018
I’m aware of the number of threads being posted on the matter, hence why I quoted a couple and tagged the original posters. I didn’t want to look like I stole their ideas, but at the same time I think ideas need to be developed in depth in order to get noticed by higher ups.
I don’t know how the staff team works on cubecraft precisely, but I hope they can come up with some sort of feedback team that can drop ideas to higher ups and discuss them. That generally happens on other servers, and I’m one of those “feedback/ideas” people on another server. This generally helps the community a lot more than just dropping ideas in a forum section, especially if you know at some point all ideas will be reviewed by the person in charge of adding new features or fixing issues.

I still hope the ideas can be discussed further by both staff and community members, since it definitely sums up the most commonly witnessed issues while playing TD. If not, well... that sucks :/

HurmitCurtis

Jul 18, 2016
I’m aware of the number of threads being posted on the matter, hence why I quoted a couple and tagged the original posters. I didn’t want to look like I stole their ideas, but at the same time I think ideas need to be developed in depth in order to get noticed by higher ups.
I don’t know how the staff team works on cubecraft precisely, but I hope they can come up with some sort of feedback team that can drop ideas to higher ups and discuss them. That generally happens on other servers, and I’m one of those “feedback/ideas” people on another server. This generally helps the community a lot more than just dropping ideas in a forum section, especially if you know at some point all ideas will be reviewed by the person in charge of adding new features or fixing issues.

I still hope the ideas can be discussed further by both staff and community members, since it definitely sums up the most commonly witnessed issues while playing TD. If not, well... that sucks :/

I can't fault your ideas I think that your thread is totally on point. I just sigh at the fact it's still a issue :( after 2 years near enough )

Reactions: coralines

Snivy Films

Jun 3, 2016
[Location Unknown]
Great Ideas, I chucked an idea in a post I made yesterday but lets put it here because why not.

If any players feel like that a player needs extra help the other players can request a Coach or a Teacher, This would be a Ranked player of some type, because a lot of people can do a better Tutorial themselves then what the Tutorial had, so users can teach the beginners, (Ranked Members will have to Opt in by a menu in the lobby before going into any game, mainly to prevent the event that a ranked member being asked to teach a member of TD while they play EggWars)

coralines

Novice Member
Dec 20, 2018
just made a thread about it days ago but not gonna call you out for reposting because you ideas are awesome. :)
I mean, I technically posted my original post before you /shrug

If any players feel like that a player needs extra help the other players can request a Coach or a Teacher, This would be a Ranked player of some type, because a lot of people can do a better Tutorial themselves then what the Tutorial had, so users can teach the beginners, (Ranked Members will have to Opt in by a menu in the lobby before going into any game, mainly to prevent the event that a ranked member being asked to teach a member of TD while they play EggWars)
I’m not gonna say this is a bad idea since it’s actually interesting, but you need to remember that regular players could still want to troll after all, so you never know what could be happening. What I would actually suggest instead is something different, more like gathering a group of experienced players (no matter what rank they are, as long as they meet specific requirements like <number> of wins etc) that can group up all the needed info to be shared in a tutorial IF the old one wasn’t to be brought back.
The sort of “class thing” you mentioned is definitely nice, but it would suit the forums better, especially if it included videos and photos to help people out. Anything like a link popping in the chat as a hint could become a good guide for the game.

Snivy Films

Jun 3, 2016
[Location Unknown]
I mean, I technically posted my original post before you /shrug

I’m not gonna say this is a bad idea since it’s actually interesting, but you need to remember that regular players could still want to troll after all, so you never know what could be happening. What I would actually suggest instead is something different, more like gathering a group of experienced players (no matter what rank they are, as long as they meet specific requirements like <number> of wins etc) that can group up all the needed info to be shared in a tutorial IF the old one wasn’t to be brought back.
The sort of “class thing” you mentioned is definitely nice, but it would suit the forums better, especially if it included videos and photos to help people out. Anything like a link popping in the chat as a hint could become a good guide for the game.
Makes sense

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Xi1m wrote on TheOrderOfSapphire's profile.
:3🍜
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on thejumboyt's profile.
Welcome to the forums! I hope you will like it here!:D
I may or may not have bought 6 Birthday Bundles (used one on myself) and I may or may not do a Giveaway for 1 soon 😉
IMG_5319.png
ImLeave wrote on thejumboyt's profile.
Welcome!
Top Bottom