Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Blocksta138

Jan 4, 2017
This is an thread revival from the @TheQueenWaddle =). Literally this has been triggering me forever but now I think I've come up with a viable argument.
One should not be able to request locks on other people's threads.
So I've come up with a list of reasons why this is total bs.
If you're lazy or just illiterate, at least read the bold.

Disrespectful
So I think we can all agree that every staff member has a brain. I think we can all agree that every staff member can use such a brain. I don't think they need people to tell them when to lock a thread. They know the rules front and back, inside and out. if something needs to get shut down, they will shut it down. They don't need a 10 year old telling them what to do. If you think you can do a better job than them, go apply and see where that takes you. Every staff member is qualified and active enough to close down threads that break the rules.

Necroposting
Obviously players outnumber the staff 10000000000 to 1 or something crazy. We'll notice if someone necroposts a thread way before they do. But guess what? Asking for a lock is necroposting too. Want to break the rules just to suck up and pretend to be superior? Go on right ahead. We lock necroposted threads to prevent obsolete threads from moving their way up to the top, some of which aren't even relevant anymore. So just ignore them and keep looking through the relevant ones, and soon enough the old ones will move their way back down the list. Posting on it asking for a lock does nothing but bump it back up to the top, so really you're only boosting it up further. Counterintuitive, right? And if you want to be irritating and PM a staff member to lock a necroposted thread, be their guest.

Discussion Closes
Whether it be you just finishing helping someone by directing them or whatever, or if a question gets answered, then just let it go, and it will die. If a staff finds it's been answered, they can lock it without getting 500 notifications.

Getting off Topic
If a thread starts veering off course, then instead of further diverting the conversation and asking for a lock, be the good citizen to actually contribute to the thread. 90 people asking for locks contributes NOTHING, which is, oh my, against the rules! I surely consider it post farming, as it doesn't add anything to the conversation (so I interpret it).

Arguments
If the situation becomes so toxic that people begin bashing each other instead of the ideas, I'm pretty sure a Moderator/Helper/etc. will notice. Trying to act all mighty and powerful trying to shut down a lock is pretty much minimodding which again, is against the rules. I think that staff have the brains to know when to lock a topic if every comment is just "***** blah blah blah ****"

Now I'm sure the staff could find it helpful, but to the creator of the thread, it can be very disrespectful, especially if they put a lot of thought into their post and it just gets shut down because some kid didn't x, y, or z.
And for a "jack of all trades argument" against every minuscule, different reply,
ALL YOU'RE DOING IS ACCELERATING THE RATE THEY LOCK STUFF. YOU'RE CONTRIBUTING NOTHING.
THIS IS BUILT ON THE BASIS THAT THEY READ EVERY THREAD (so they claim). EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE LOCKED
WILL
BE
LOCKED.

So now I'll just wait for the snarky reply.
EDIT: Or watch this thread get locked, that would be ironic
lmao

Nedyar10

Jun 8, 2016
Philippines
Woah bro. Chill! I actually do agree with your statement. People shouldn't request locks on someone else's thread. I could imagine myself being disgusted by someone asking for a lock in my thread. Also I don't think this should be in "suggestions" thread much more in "server discussion"

@ admin lock
XD

Chimpeeze

Dedicated Member
Aug 27, 2016
The jungle
Isn't this already a thing? I've seen plenty of cases where someone has asked for a lock only to be shot down by a member of staff or just ignored.
Of course people are always going to be wanting to increase their message count for whatever reason and will do what ever it takes to do this. There's plenty of people who are or have been quite guilty of constantly asking for locks on stuff. The bug reports/support section is a good place to find them. And yes it's annoying if you create a thread and someone doesn't like it so they ask for a lock, but really there's no harm being done.
If people are worried by the fact that someone who has been on the forums for a month and has more messages than themselves who have been here for three then you have to ask why? It's not affecting you, it won't affect your helper app if you've applied.
I do wonder why people get so triggered on some stuff, especially when it has no effect on the person.
No offence by the way, I support what you're saying I just don't see how it bothers people so much.

Reactions: iLoveYouu

WolfShine

Dedicated Member
Mar 10, 2016
www.youtube.com
This is an thread revival from the @TheQueenWaddle =). Literally this has been triggering me forever but now I think I've come up with a viable argument.

Disrespectful
So I think we can all agree that every staff member has a brain. I think we can all agree that every staff member can use such a brain. I don't think they need people to tell them when to lock a thread. They know the rules front and back, inside and out. if something needs to get shut down, they will shut it down. They don't need a 10 year old telling them what to do. If you think you can do a better job than them, go apply and see where that takes you. Every staff member is qualified and active enough to close down threads that break the rules.

Necroposting
Obviously players outnumber the staff 10000000000 to 1 or something crazy. We'll notice if someone necroposts a thread way before they do. But guess what? Asking for a lock is necroposting too. Want to break the rules just to suck up and pretend to be superior? Go on right ahead. We lock necroposted threads to prevent obsolete threads from moving their way up to the top, some of which aren't even relevant anymore. So just ignore them and keep looking through the relevant ones, and soon enough the old ones will move their way back down the list. Posting on it asking for a lock does nothing but bump it back up to the top, so really you're only boosting it up further. Counterintuitive, right? And if you want to be irritating and PM a staff member to lock a necroposted thread, be their guest.

Discussion Closes
Whether it be you just finishing helping someone by directing them or whatever, or if a question gets answered, then just let it go, and it will die. If a staff finds it's been answered, they can lock it without getting 500 notifications.

Getting off Topic
If a thread starts veering off course, then instead of further diverting the conversation and asking for a lock, be the good citizen to actually contribute to the thread. 90 people asking for locks contributes NOTHING, which is, oh my, against the rules! I surely consider it post farming, as it doesn't add anything to the conversation (so I interpret it).

Arguments
If the situation becomes so toxic that people begin bashing each other instead of the ideas, I'm pretty sure a Moderator/Helper/etc. will notice. Trying to act all mighty and powerful trying to shut down a lock is pretty much minimodding which again, is against the rules. I think that staff have the brains to know when to lock a topic if every comment is just "***** blah blah blah ****"

Now I'm sure the staff could find it helpful, but to the creator of the thread, it can be very disrespectful, especially if they put a lot of thought into their post and it just gets shut down because some kid didn't x, y, or z.
And for a "jack of all trades argument" against every minuscule, different reply,
ALL YOU'RE DOING IS ACCELERATING THE RATE THEY LOCK STUFF. YOU'RE CONTRIBUTING NOTHING.
THIS IS BUILT ON THE BASIS THAT THEY READ EVERY THREAD (so they claim). EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE LOCKED
WILL
BE
LOCKED.

lmao
I agree, depending on the situation. Also, a few things. I highly doubt that 10000000000 players even play minecraft. That is a seventh of the world right there. You are over reacting, their is normally only one or zero people asking for a lock. Sometimes, not very often, it is good for someone to tag a staff member because of someone on a thread spamming posts or something and saying the same thing over and over again but staff did not see it or something like that, so it is not mini-modding technically. Also, it is very annoying lol.

Spyridon Agnew Dragon

Dedicated Member
May 27, 2016
Skylands
Ive seen this suggestion before and its gone nowhere so i doubt itll do anything now

My only problem is there are certain situations ive run across where asking fir a lock or a post deletion was either needed or could be done

1. The post was either useless or had spam in it
2. Staff dont check every single post, in fact theres a necroposted thread that even months later is still not locked
3. In my opinion asking for a lock when a problem is fixed is fine because the thread then becomes useless
4. Repetitive answer threads can also be asked for a lock i once saw a thread that was asking about the anticheat, when i woke up the next morning there was 4-5 pages of the exact same answer
Trying to act all mighty and powerful trying to shut down a lock is pretty much minimodding which again, is against the rules

I think you misunderstand what minimodding is, mini modding is saying youll do something or can do something that only staff can do mini modding is basically impersonating the permissions of that of a staff member such as saying "dont do this or ill ban you" and as i said mods cant check everything and often times the thread is left alone until its necroposted, yes staff can judge but only if they see it, asking for lock just brings these ir attention to it
Now I'm sure the staff could find it helpful, but to the creator of the thread, it can be very disrespectful
this principal does not apply to certain situations and threads

1. Forum rule breakers often get locked immedietly whether a lock is asked for or not so your basically calling staff rude
2. Useless posts such as spam links or nothing but "jajajaja" or threads with simple answers such as "the anticheat is coming" or the "kicking is a bug" or " screenshots cant be used for evidence" can also be locked

One final thing asking for a necropost lock should be allowed reason being is noone really checks to see when the last reply was ive seen necroposted threads go for days of replies before its locked

Also asking for a lock isnt necroposting because the last reply was within 14 days ;)

Im completely indifferent to this idea so dont think im on anyones side

However well constructed thread you get a like for that you dont see many threads like this nowadays :D

xKouhai

Dec 25, 2016
When someone asks for a lock, the thread isn't just locked because someone has asked for this to happen. The tagged staff member will see whether or not the topic of the thread has been solved and if it hasn't been they will answer the thread before locking and if the creator has any further questions they are told that they can PM the staff member. (This is from what I have observed)

Disrespectful

People asking for locks usually say something along the lines of "@(UsernameOfStaff) Lock please?" So, I don't see how that is any way disrespectful. Yes, whilst every staff member IS qualified, there is always the chance of them missing something (I know it isn't very likely, however, it is very much possible).

Also, to comment on your next point (I'm not going to bother quoting everything because that will just increase the length of this message more than necessary), not a lot of people ask for locks, I highly doubt 200 people don't have the brains to see that a lock has already been asked for.

I do understand your point, but it isn't exactly a major issue as not many people do ask for locks and if a staff member does see the thread, sooner or later the thread will be locked so it is probably the quicker route to notify staff. I don't understand how it is so bothering like said above.

KitKatkels17

Jul 27, 2016
Candy - https://discord.gg/rcQfj8v
well sometimes it's good to request locks like for example there was this one post that was getting way to much attention it was about the hacker problem, anyway the creater of the thread was hatting on everyone in the thread that didn't 100% agree with him and because of that it got over 500 responses in 2 days and staff didn't see the post untill someone asked for it to be stoped

Power Ranger

Forum Professional
Apr 20, 2016
The ♡
www.cubecraft.net
I don't see why this thread needs to be re made as the amount of people asking for locks since its creation has significantly decreased. If you are annoyed by a specific player asking for locks simply start a conversation with them and explain why they shouldn't ask for locks in a kind way that they will understand. If they keep asking for locks after that then a thread about not asking for locks certainly won't make them stop either.

Vickebyggare

Jul 26, 2016
I'd say asking for a lock if you post it on the thread is kind of against the rules since you're not supposed to make useless posts/threads. The 'Report' button is a handy and practical way when you ask for a lock, just report a message for example necropost or whatever the issue is and then the thread will be locked.

D

Deleted member 169486

@zDutchie lock as we could have looked at the other thread?
Jokes plz no hate

Seriously though, when the number of requests for locks exceeds the number of real replies, it just gets out of hand. And then on top of that you have people tagging 5-6 staff members when none of them are online. A rule for requesting locks should indeed be added. Possibly make a button like the report one for locking and it messages all online staff members, but will disappear as soon advance the thread is dealt with.

zDutchie

Forum Professional
May 30, 2016
The Netherlands
Pronouns
She/Her
Possibly make a button like the report one for locking and it messages all online staff members, but will disappear as soon advance the thread is dealt with.
I honestly think it's best to tag staff members who you're sure of that they will reply. Not all staff members who are online have the time to check the forums at that moment :)

Spinnypoo

Dedicated Member
May 12, 2016
mum
www.cubecraft.net

Disrespectful

Necroposting

Discussion Closes

Getting off Topic

Arguments

WILL
BE
LOCKED.

lmao
Locking is good, in some ways and bad in others. Some people do post good threads that they put a lot of work into, for their suggestion only to get crushed.
So I think we can all agree that every staff member has a brain.
Rude

Ping Ether

Forum Veteran
Jun 2, 2016
Italy
1. The post was either useless or had spam in it
2. Staff dont check every single post, in fact theres a necroposted thread that even months later is still not locked
3. In my opinion asking for a lock when a problem is fixed is fine because the thread then becomes useless
4. Repetitive answer threads can also be asked for a lock i once saw a thread that was asking about the anticheat, when i woke up the next morning there was 4-5 pages of the exact same answer
1 you're not the one to say if it's useless or not
2 Of course it's not locked, staff don't lock posts after 2 months, they would be necroposting themselves.
3 It doesn't have to be locked though.
4 They're gonna lock them at some point anyways.

Reactions: zDutchie

iLoveYouu

Forum Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Isn't this already a thing? I've seen plenty of cases where someone has asked for a lock only to be shot down by a member of staff or just ignored.
Of course people are always going to be wanting to increase their message count for whatever reason and will do what ever it takes to do this. There's plenty of people who are or have been quite guilty of constantly asking for locks on stuff. The bug reports/support section is a good place to find them. And yes it's annoying if you create a thread and someone doesn't like it so they ask for a lock, but really there's no harm being done.
If people are worried by the fact that someone who has been on the forums for a month and has more messages than themselves who have been here for three then you have to ask why? It's not affecting you, it won't affect your helper app if you've applied.
I do wonder why people get so triggered on some stuff, especially when it has no effect on the person.
No offence by the way, I support what you're saying I just don't see how it bothers people so much.
Agreed, it's really not a big deal when someone requests a lock, and us staff always look if the thread should be locked or not when requested.
They might have it... But so they use it?

JK"
Explain? :)

Last edited:
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

legendaryfox977 wrote on savina875's profile.
.wollof eht rof uoy knahT
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on mitgobla's profile.
Thank you for everything! <3
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Soulless_Unity's profile.
Thank you for everything soul you have done <3
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on SanCookie's profile.
Thank you for everything you have done <3
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Thanks for everything I also wish you goodluck <3
Top Bottom