Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

FractalCake

Novice Member
Jul 23, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
So I logged onto our coop island tonight and I have a zombie grinder for XP. There are number of lvl 30 spawners and the zombies fall enough blocks that they're left with 2-4 hearts for easy kills.

When my friend joins the island, all of the sudden the damage they take from falling is greatly increased and they all die when hitting the same spot. If he leaves the island they start taking less damage again and don't die.

Anyone else seen this before? Am I going crazy?

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
In vanilla, there's a way to reset fall damage by disconnecting and reconnecting. When you or your friend join the island, this island is loaded into a server. This is when you see mobs falling.

When no one is on your island, that server will unload your island after some time. At this point, if mobs were in mid-air at the time that the island was unloaded and if your island is loaded again, the mobs will take fall damage based on the height that they were at at the time the island was loaded, not at the original height that they spawned from. (This is how the player is able to reset fall damage in vanilla by logging out and then logging back in.)

Source: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-212

Reactions: JokeKaedee

FractalCake

Novice Member
Jul 23, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
In vanilla, there's a way to reset fall damage by disconnecting and reconnecting. When you or your friend join the island, this island is loaded into a server. This is when you see mobs falling.

When no one is on your island, that server will unload your island after some time. At this point, if mobs were in mid-air at the time that the island was unloaded and if your island is loaded again, the mobs will take fall damage based on the height that they were at at the time the island was loaded, not at the original height that they spawned from. (This is how the player is able to reset fall damage in vanilla by logging out and then logging back in.)

Hmm interesting. The odd thing is that it's not just the zombies that are in the air when he joins or leaves, it's any that are subsequently spawning from spawners after he joins or leaves the island. I myself, am not moving or going anywhere while all this is happening.

Not sure if it matters, but this is happening on bedrock.

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Hmm interesting. The odd thing is that it's not just the zombies that are in the air when he joins or leaves, it's any that are subsequently spawning from spawners after he joins or leaves the island. I myself, am not moving or going anywhere while all this is happening.

Not sure if it matters, but this is happening on bedrock.
I'm not sure for bedrock, as I know only about the Java version. I have no experience with the CubeCraft version of SkyBlock (I tried for only a couple of hours, and have yet to get spawners), but my information is based mainly on the vanilla game. Without a video showing the bug being reproduced, it's not easy to say whether it's intended or actually a bug.

Conea64

Forum Expert
Jun 27, 2020
EUROPE
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
This isnt a mojang bug as I just tested it in a normal world and this doesnt happen.

Please report this here:

And here is a guide on how to report:

Skqrrt

Aug 13, 2020
Netherlands

Source: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-212
Does the disconnect and reconnect always work?

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Fifty fifty
The bug page reports that it works easily for players in singleplayer but in multiplayer it's different. There's a 3 second invulnerability period upon logging in unless the game is multiplayer and PvP is enabled.

From TheMasterCaver's reply, quoted and cited*:
TheMasterCaver said:
The game rounds fall damage up to whole blocks:

int var4 = MathHelper.ceiling_float_int(par1 - 3.0F - var3);
this.attackEntityFrom(DamageSource.fall, (float)var4);

"ceiling" always rounds up to a whole number, even a value like 3.00001 will be rounded up to 4 and inflict 1 point of fall damage. This is why when making a mob grinder that uses water to push mobs down a hole you want to make sure that they do not bob, as otherwise you'll find that some of them die.

Also, the use of float values for health and damage (as seen above fall damage is an int but is cast to a float when calling attackEntityFrom) explains the discrepancy between the calculated and actual fatal fall distance; 23 blocks should be fatal but isn't.

Note that your health GUI also rounds up to whole numbers (half-hearts) and damage that is insufficient to show up does not mean that you received no damage since health is internally represented as a float value (player.dat also saves an int which was presumably used in older versions, they added a float value for health in 1.6).

In OP's case, it could be how fall damage is calculated if a different formula is used, as different servers may have different calculations for calculating fall damage (e.g. Hypixel's SkyBlock uses a different formula for fall damage). We'll assume that it's vanilla fall damage calculation below.

To work around OP's bug, the farm should be built higher (or lower the height of the grinder if the spawning platforms are already at build limit) so that the mobs take more fall damage. Worst case scenario (in this case, mobs with more HP than average mobs) should be considered when making farms to futureproof it.

*https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-java-edition/survival-mode/2814167-falling-on-slabs

FractalCake

Novice Member
Jul 23, 2020
United States
www.youtube.com
The bug page reports that it works easily for players in singleplayer but in multiplayer it's different. There's a 3 second invulnerability period upon logging in unless the game is multiplayer and PvP is enabled.

From TheMasterCaver's reply, quoted and cited*:

In OP's case, it could be how fall damage is calculated if a different formula is used, as different servers may have different calculations for calculating fall damage (e.g. Hypixel's SkyBlock uses a different formula for fall damage). We'll assume that it's vanilla fall damage calculation below.

To work around OP's bug, the farm should be built higher (or lower the height of the grinder if the spawning platforms are already at build limit) so that the mobs take more fall damage. Worst case scenario (in this case, mobs with more HP than average mobs) should be considered when making farms to futureproof it.

*https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-java-edition/survival-mode/2814167-falling-on-slabs

I'll try to get a video to show you all later today. It's not a matter of me building the drop height incorrectly.

When I'm the only one on the skyblock island, the mobs need to fall (using example numbers) 40 blocks to have 2-4 hearts left but when someone else joins the island, they only need to fall 24 blocks to have 2-4 hearts left. Falling the full 40 actually kills them.

Members Online

Members online

Latest profile posts

This is YOUR daily dose of facts #41-
The moon has moonquakes, which are kind of like the earthquakes on the Earth, but weaker.
Basketman wrote on Eli's profile.
Favourite how to tame a dragon movie, shoot.
Reesle wrote on ii6xxq's profile.
Welcome to the Official Cubecraft Forums!! Hope you enjoy your stay :)
Reesle wrote on Lucaatjee's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎈
Matriox wrote on Kloska's profile.
day x
Top Bottom