Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Bring Gamemode Lobbies Back?

• Total voters

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
  • Been a year since my last "Bring Back" thread, heh... the main difference is this thread isn't derived from a simple whim and has a justification behind it. For those of you who may not be aware, in the Big Change update gamemode lobbies were removed. And with this, the extermination of game-specific communities.
I want to quote the Big Change thread when it refers to this change:

• There are no longer lots of different lobbies each with their own layouts meaning we can focus builders on new game maps etc.
  • All players will pass through the main lobby making it easier to find people you want to play with.

First of all, I don't see the connection between having a variety of lobbies with focusing builders on new game maps. Because unless the EggWars dragon needed his teeth brushed, builders don't really have to involve themselves with Gamemode Lobbies unless they're looking to update them which isn't really necessary, all lobbies were awesome and were very well built.

While one could argue having one big lobby to put everyone might make it easier to find people to play with, many other features already present in the server facilitate this same purpose: party and friend commands. Then was it really worth it to sacrifice an important part of the server for this seemingly made up purpose of "making finding friends easier." No, especially since it didn't really help it, in fact, it made the situation worse.

Game lobbies were a place to hang out with friends and acquaintances, you used to be able to see all of the most "dedicated" players of each gamemode in their respective lobbies, talking or just simply passing by to join another game, it’s where you’d meet your friends and casually greet people. The BlockWars lobby for example, used to be a place to meet up, you'd always find someone you knew there, and you'd say hi to each other and probably talk. New players would come around and join the conversation, then they’d all probably end up in a party and play together. And ta da, potential new friendship. For me the BlockWars lobby was a place of comfort, a familiar virtual home to hang around and have some fun. And I’m mostly certain this doesn’t only apply to me, many other people, from many other games also miss their lobbies.

And with the eventual passage of time, this change showed consequences, negative consequences. Gamemode communities pretty much don’t exist anymore, no one knows each other, and no one really cares to know each other. You don’t make friends as often as you used to, and it seems like the nice part about the Server’s community started to vanish. Clans aren’t as common as they used to be. And it all looks as if it’s collectively dying off, to the point where there just won’t be a community in-game, people just play to play, casually insult each other, rarely become friends and that’s it.

It’s hard for me to put into words the exact reasons why removing Gamemode Lobbies are directly connected to the extinction of Gamemode Communities, but I hope that’s been a clear enough of an explanation.

Not to mention how lifeless and unwelcoming the main lobby is, I don’t know what it is about it, but it’s not a very nice place. Probably because there’s so many people put in the same lobby, and you’ll rarely see someone talking. I’ve also noticed people stopped caring about each other now, and no one looks to have the will to respond to someone asking for help. I’ve seen many situations where someone is asking for help “how to get a rank” or “how to join a game” and there might be 5 people in the lobby or 30, doesn’t matter, no one ever replies to them.

At last, a rather important reason to bring these lobbies back is the reimplementation of top 5 leaderboards. Of course top 200 leaderboards should still be a thing, they’re quite motivating for players looking to climb up a few spots (and maybe it’d be nice if it told the player the number of their position if they’re not in the top 200). But top 5 leaderboards were very special, and held a lot of recognition back then. A lot of people dedicated a lot of their time and effort into getting there, and it’s rather nonsensical as to why CubeCraft would take that away from their most dedicated players.

I know that most of these reasons seem rather romantic than logical but when it comes to player wellness and enjoyment, then I think these types of arguments are valid. Which is why I think it’s a priority to consider bringing gamemode lobbies back.

It’s evident that some gamemode lobbies would just be dead and there’s no point in bringing them back, so I think the following game modes should have their lobbies back:
  • EggWars
  • SkyWars
  • Lucky Islands
  • Tower Defence
  • PvP
  • Minerware
  • Popular Featured Games:
    • Survival Games
    • Slime Survival
    • BlockWars
Thanks for reading this suggestion! Any feedback is appreciated.

Herrero

Mar 4, 2017
The few new people I've met since the big change were friends of friends so the reason why I've met them has nothing to do with the lobbies.

I remember I didn't even reply you when we first met, you only told me hi but I was like "random weird man detected". In the end, we ended up chilling in the lobby very often, IN A GAMEMODE LOBBY.

I became friends with the most of the people I've met in the bw community in this kind lobbies; you, Tauro, Swan... So I can't disagree at all with your thread.

Reactions: Andyyy and Eli

Ducky

Forum Professional
Dec 31, 2015
The Netherlands
I really liked the game lobby's, you could easily meet new friends who also play Skywars or Eggwars and you could say "Yo I'll be in this lobby tomorrow to play some Skywars".

Since they're gone (I personally thought it had something to do with servers), you have to click on the NPC in the main lobby to go to a game. I personally like that way more as you go into a game very quickly, negative point is indeed that you won't really find new people to play with because the game lobby is gone.

I personally liked the game lobbies, but I like the current system more because it takes you 5 seconds to get into a game.

Reactions: RickDeKlomp

RickDeKlomp

Forum Expert
Jun 11, 2017
The Netherlands
I personally liked the game lobbies, but I like the current system more because it takes you 5 seconds to get into a game.
This is one of the reasons I voted no. Also because I think the lobbies will be empty. There are around 25 people in a lobby atm. For example PvP lobbies won't have more than 15 people in it. It might even be worse. There's no "friendly community" when there are only 10 people in a lobby. And I don't think people will be more friendly etc, just because they're in a game lobby. The people don't change, the lobby does.

Fisktratt

Forum Expert
Sep 15, 2018
Sweden
This is one of the reasons I voted no. Also because I think the lobbies will be empty. There are around 25 people in a lobby atm. For example PvP lobbies won't have more than 15 people in it. It might even be worse. There's no "friendly community" when there are only 10 people in a lobby. And I don't think people will be more friendly etc, just because they're in a game lobby. The people don't change, the lobby does.
That might be the case with the pvp lobby, but not with every lobby. I met many Swedish and nice people in the Lucky Islands lobby for example. In the TD lobby, people were discussing strategies and asking for parties. I still think every lobby has its own community. Some are toxic and some are nice.

Komodо

Forum Professional
May 29, 2015
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
www.cubecraft.net
You’ve said it all. Even if some of those reasons were romantical, that doesn’t mean they aren’t valid. I used to stay like three hours in the game lobby talking to people. Only while playing for an hour or so. For the most part I used to play with friends that I made in the game lobby. Now that’s mostly gone, so I end up barely playing anymore. What’s less enjoying than playing alone?

Also, while I respect your opinion, I firmly disagree. Yes, it took like 1 second more to start a game. However, there has recently been a “Play Again” update which takes away the time to join again. It could be an counter argument, but for me it doesn’t go up against all the sense of community that has been lost.

(There could also be an option where you could turn off / turn on gamelobbies)

Sweetenerera

Forum Professional
Jul 24, 2016
Also, while I respect your opinion, I firmly disagree. Yes, it took like 1 second more to start a game. However, there has recently been a “Play Again” update which takes away the time to join again. It could be an counter argument, but for me it doesn’t go up against all the sense of community that has been lost.
They can also make it so you spawn right in front of the armor stands / signs.

Reactions: Komodо and Eli

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
Well I don’t know, maybe the list of games I suggested could be tweaked a bit since suggestions aren’t set to stone. But regardless I think that at peak times all of those games would have their respective lobbies be pretty lively, the BlockWars lobby was the liveliest thing about the game before the Big Change and now that it’s recuperated a big amount of players that wouldn’t be an exception.

Also @Ducky the time difference is of like 3-5 seconds, which I don’t see as a problem. And making lobbies toggeable just beats the whole purpose of the idea.

Finixly

Forum Expert
Jun 17, 2018
Beverly Hills
This is a yes and a no from me.

I personally love the old game lobbies, but the new main lobby is also decent.

The idea I have is by making "smaller pre-lobbies" in the main lobby, for example: You join CubeCraft, spawn in the main lobby, click on the (oldschool:D) compass and you'll get teleported to, for example, a Skywars NPC which is in the main lobby, but with his own appearance and "corner". So there will be smaller pre-lobbies in the main-lobby.

Also the main-lobby should get a renewal, the way it looks now is getting boring, Before the big change came out I was very often derping in the pre-lobbies, always another one. But for real; the main lobby is such a great.. great lobby, and the details are amazing, but after some years it's getting bored.

As some people also mentioned, finding people easily in the main lobby is just an excuse. Finding people from the game you like the most is way easier in a lobby full of people who like that game too!

I've done my best to make as less as possible grammar mistakes, sorry if there is some uncertainty

Reactions: Eli

Raam

Dec 25, 2017
The thing is with bringing back the old lobbies, they have to pay more for servers...

RPoule

Dedicated Member
Jan 13, 2016
Netherlands
Too much of a hustle just to make the handfull of active lobbysitters happy with their new environment.
Remember the server isn't just for the people who are active in the community and love to hang around with their online friends, even though they are the more vocal representatives on the forums, they're still a huge minority compared to the casual players, who meet up with one or two friends every now and then to play some minigames, not caring at all about the community around them.

The extra lobbies made joining games less fast and convenient, the signs might be nostalgic. But keep them that way, the system we currently have is faster and more effective. Besides, most players use the 'Play Again' feature anyways, combine that with the fact that the average player count has dropped a lot since the golden day's y'all are referring to. The specific game lobbies will feel empty which ruïns the great memories you currently have of them. Don't bring them back.

The idea I have is by making "smaller pre-lobbies" in the main lobby, for example:
I like this.

which I don’t see as a problem.
You'd be lying if you haven't ever found having to run back to the signs and armor stands after each 2 minute skywars game annoying at times.

I really liked the game lobby's, you could easily meet new friends who also play Skywars or Eggwars and you could say "Yo I'll be in this lobby tomorrow to play some Skywars".

Since they're gone (I personally thought it had something to do with servers), you have to click on the NPC in the main lobby to go to a game. I personally like that way more as you go into a game very quickly, negative point is indeed that you won't really find new people to play with because the game lobby is gone.

This... doesn't add anything, you just repeated the initial arguments made and told everyone you agreed to them. Could've just voted instead. Nothing personal, just stating it.

Reactions: Finixly

Dutchyyy

Forum Expert
Feb 11, 2016
The Netherlands
Pronouns
He/Him
I liked the old lobbies, but they have been removed (if I am right) due to financial reasons. So I don't think they will add them again. Besides this it is not really a must for me. I like the current system. You can join games much faster than before. The only negative point is that you won't really find new friends/people to play with.

Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Frontlane wrote on S4nne's profile.
Kazwa wrote on Frontlane's profile.
🐺
Sergiio12 wrote on LoveAndMafia's profile.
Alejaaaandro
Top Bottom