Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Wildd

Dedicated Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hello all👋
I forgot to post a few photos from Australia, and frustratingly it all doesn't fit into a profile post so here's a silly little thread about Astronomy for any space lovers!

On a 3 day excursion 4 hours west, to Coonabarabran, we visited Siding Spring observatory twice, one time to have a look around their 20 or so telescopes and another to actually have a look inside their biggest dome, which I will explain more about here:
siding spring telescope 1.jpg
Anglo-Australian telescope
This MASSIVE telescope has a mirror 3.9m in diameter and is a partnership with Britain and Australia.
(I am saying all this from memory so there may be some slight errors). It was opened by then Prince Charles
(now king) in 1974 and looks simultaneously at hundreds of galaxies or stars. (I believe 390 but that could be wrong)
It has also collaborated on many projects with the Hubble Space Telescope.
20230720_121010.jpg

The entire telescope can rotate 340 degrees to look at almost any point
in the sky, and the white dome covering it can also be rotated accordingly,
as there is only a small hole that will open.
One of it's main, and coolest uses is searching for exoplanets in the habitable zone.
This is where we would find alien life if it were to exist.

Some more technical facts:
The mirror is actually not very reflective, so every year needs a fresh coating of liquid
aluminium, about 50 micrometres thick. Which is a scary task as the mirror is
irreplaceable due to those types of mirrors no longer being made as the process
involves carcinogenic substances.

Moving on from the observatory, which is frequented yearly by Brian Cox by the way, Coonabarabran and the surrounding area is AMAZING just for stargazing.

This observatory is located here as the nigh skies are so undisrupted by light pollution, being hundreds of kilometres
into mainland Australia. This means the night skies seen by the naked eye are also incredible.

0675d2af8c67cf03ffac209a14fe8d6b.jpg
Unfortunately my phone would not be able
to take a photo that looks anything like the actual sky,
but it looked almost exactly like this on the left, (I DIDNT TAKE THE PHOTO FOUND IT ONLINE) just even
prettier.

We also used a high-end telescope to get a look at all sorts
of nebulae, galaxies, stars and other cool things.

Seeing constellations clearer than ever was awesome, the clearest
one was my own, Scorpius. We also could easily see the Celestial Emu,
which is incredibly significant in Aboriginal
culture:
The position of the Emu in the sky could tell Indigenous people whether
they should be hunting Emus or gathering their eggs.
It was also important for navigation.

I don't have much else to say, hopefully it was reasonably interesting to some people and if anyone happens to randomly be driving through central Australia an observatory like this is well worth a visit, or just a stop at night and a sit down in the grass (beware the brown snakes in summer😢) and a look up at the sky.

Last edited:

Salty_Shadows

Forum Expert
May 25, 2020
Underground
www.youtube.com
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello all👋
I forgot to post a few photos from Australia, and frustratingly it all doesn't fit into a profile post so here's a silly little thread about Astronomy for any space lovers!

On a 3 day excursion 4 hours west, to Coonabarabran, we visited Siding Spring observatory twice, one time to have a look around their 20 or so telescopes and another to actually have a look inside their biggest dome, which I will explain more about here:
View attachment 222454Anglo-Australian telescope
This MASSIVE telescope has a mirror 3.9m in diameter and is a partnership with Britain and Australia.
(I am saying all this from memory so there may be some slight errors). It was opened by then Prince Charles
(now king) in 1974 and looks simultaneously at hundreds of galaxies or stars. (I believe 390 but that could be wrong)
It has also collaborated on many projects with the Hubble Space Telescope.View attachment 222457

One of it's main, and coolest uses is searching for exoplanets in the habitable zone.

The mirror is actually not very reflective, so every year needs a fresh coating of liquid

Moving on from the observatory, which is frequented yearly by Brian Cox by the way, Coonabarabran and the surrounding area is AMAZING just for stargazing.

This observatory is located here as the nigh skies are so undisrupted by light pollution, being hundreds of kilometres
into mainland Australia. This means the night skies seen by the naked eye are also incredible.

View attachment 222467Unfortunately my phone would not be able
but it looked almost exactly like this on the left, just even
prettier.

which is incredibly significant in Aboriginal culture:

I don't have much else to say, hopefully it was reasonably interesting to some people and if anyone happens to randomly be driving through central Australia an observatory like this is well worth a visit, or just a stop at night and a sit down in the grass (beware the brown snakes in summer😢) and a look up at the sky.
Very pretty Night pic

• Heart
Reactions: Wildd

Hoshi

Speedy Wing Rush Gonzales
Aug 4, 2017
meow meow
youtube.com
Pronouns
She/Her
I love space related stuff! Super interesting to learn about.

I once went to Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. In that same observatory, Pluto was discovered! It even had a tiny museum with a space rock. We went there during our huge roadtrip through the US. My mum specifically picked out this specific location as she knew I’m interested in astronomy related stuff. 🙏

• Heart

Chromodynamics

Novice Member
Dec 11, 2021
The Quantum Realm
Pronouns
He/Him
A-MAZING! Personally I've been a fan of space and space related phenomenons since I was 6 years old! I also remember going to the Sliding Spring Observatory a few years ago! Also very nice night sky picture :)

• Heart
Sep 28, 2022
The Backrooms
www.youtube.com
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello all👋

View attachment 222454Anglo-Australian telescope
It has also collaborated on many projects with the Hubble Space Telescope.View attachment 222457

View attachment 222467Unfortunately my phone would not be able
but it looked almost exactly like this on the left, (I DIDNT TAKE THE PHOTO FOUND IT ONLINE) just even
prettier.

which is incredibly significant in Aboriginal
culture:

Nice, especially the nigh skies picture looks very good :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Eli
The forums feel so slow on Sundays
Casualpoalrbear wrote on Xi1m's profile.
FkhsjevXEBQvIe3.jpg
to the very few 5 or less people who are concerned about fhg dont worry its not going anywhere i just dont feel like writing at all and im disappointed in myself so

dw its not that deep
Desiderata wrote on caraMel's profile.
cara mel you are my biggest hater ily
1714232286010.png
Top Bottom