Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xHappyMood

Forum Expert
Apr 10, 2020
The Land Of Pigs
it is also the only sound that exists in every language
Actually the Arapaho language spoken by some (250 - 1.000 people 😢) Native Americans in Wyoming and Oklahoma doesn't have an A sound (yes I know that sounds very weird since the name of the language in English literally has 3 A's in it). But they call the language Hinóno'eitíít, Arapaho comes from the name which was given to the tribes living in the area by European settlers, although where that word comes from isn't exactly certain.

According to Wikipedia ~98% of languages have open vowels (vowels where the tongue is positioned as far from the roof of the mouth as possible) like [a], [ɶ], [ɑ], [ɒ] (the ones that have dedicated symbols in IPA) and [ä]/[ɐ̞] and [ɒ̈] (which don't have dedicated symbols in IPA) although I can't seem to find any examples of the other ~2% of languages that don't have these.

Since many languages have also existed that we haven't yet, or might not ever discover, we're not really able to say anything about those languages, maybe those also didn't have any A sounds and we will just never know.

As a side note, some languages like the Kabardian language spoken in the Northern Caucasus or the Arrernte language have a so-called vertical vowel system, which means that even though in spoken language you may hear many different vowels, these vowels are in essence only variations of a couple of vowels (the two examples I listed are considered to only have 2 vowels). Kabardian was even considered by some to have no vowels at all at some point, so words were considered to just be long strings of consonants in which you heard vowels because they would be unpronouncable without them, but where the vowel sounds would actually be part of the consonant letters. This, however, isn't the interpretation of modern linguists have anymore.
yes, i am aware that i am a nerd

Edit: There are also languages which have considerably more vowels than others, like Hamont-Achel Limburgish, which has 22 (!) monophtong phonomenes (vowel sounds consisting of a single letter) and 13 (!) diphtong phonomenes (vowel sounds made by combining multiple vowel letters together). This means that the language has more monophtongs than consonants. The language is also unique in that it has a distinction between front, central and back open vowels, as one of the only languages in the world. As a comparison, most English dialects only have ~12 monophtongs and ~8 diphtongs.

Last edited:

pekd

Actually the Arapaho language spoken by some (250 - 1.000 people 😢) Native Americans in Wyoming and Oklahoma doesn't have an A sound (yes I know that sounds very weird since the name of the language in English literally has 3 A's in it). But they call the language Hinóno'eitíít, Arapaho comes from the name which was given to the tribes living in the area by European settlers, although where that word comes from isn't exactly certain.

According to Wikipedia ~98% of languages have open vowels (vowels where the tongue is positioned as far from the roof of the mouth as possible) like [a], [ɶ], [ɑ], [ɒ] (the ones that have dedicated symbols in IPA) and [ä]/[ɐ̞] and [ɒ̈] (which don't have dedicated symbols in IPA) although I can't seem to find any examples of the other ~2% of languages that don't have these.

Since many languages have also existed that we haven't yet, or might not ever discover, we're not really able to say anything about those languages, maybe those also didn't have any A sounds and we will just never know.

As a side note, some languages like the Kabardian language spoken in the Northern Caucasus or the Arrernte language have a so-called vertical vowel system, which means that even though in spoken language you may hear many different vowels, these vowels are in essence only variations of a couple of vowels (the two examples I listed are considered to only have 2 vowels). Kabardian was even considered by some to have no vowels at all at some point, so words were considered to just be long strings of consonants in which you heard vowels because they would be unpronouncable without them, but where the vowel sounds would actually be part of the consonant letters. This, however, isn't the interpretation of modern linguists have anymore.
yes, i am aware that i am a nerd

Edit: There are also languages which have considerably more vowels than others, like Hamont-Achel Limburgisht, which has 22 (!) monophtong phonomenes (vowels consisting of a single letter) and 13 (!) diphtong phonomenes (which are made by combining multiple vowels together). This means that the language has more monophtongs than consonants. The language is also unique in that it has a distinction between front, central and back open vowels, as one of the only languages in the world. As a comparison, most English dialects only have ~12 monophtongs and ~8 diphtongs.
oh looks like i was a bit uninformed then. i got my information from guiness world records so i just took it as a fact. but the A sound should still be the most common sound

Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Pro helper!:D
Conea64 wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
I know I'm early but congratulations on being a colourful little fella
Xi1m wrote on camulos's profile.
happy broathdy
Basketman wrote on ImSatisfied's profile.
Happy Birthday!
Basketman wrote on camulos's profile.
Happy Birthday!
Top Bottom