Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Should there be another pvp update?

• Yes (leave your ideas down below please)

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • No, pvp is fine as it is

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

SpankMeSanta

Dedicated Member
Nov 12, 2016
After a couple of regular mini pvp updates soon after the combat update in 2016 (the last of which took place in June 2016), we had to wait about a year and a half (November 2017) for a new pvp update.
It was a bit of a let down because it took so long, but the only features that were added were rematches (highly requested and quite convenient to be fair), kit reshuffling (adding/removing/changing kits, which were problems long before the update happened, kudos for doing them but they should have been treated straight away instead of spending an update fixing them) and new maps (three... three maps were released in over a year and a half... don't get me wrong, its better than 0, but you get the point).

This was underwhelming, so I think there should be another pvp update with bigger and exciting changes, rather than disguising bug fixes and a couple of maps as a huge update.
I have looked at the suggestion threads ever since that "update" there are quite a few ideas that have been cropping up over and over again, and I will also bring my own ideas to the table, and of course I invite any readers to reply to this thread with their own ideas, in hope that the developers will use this thread as their main source IF (hopefully "WHEN") they ever decide to create another pvp update.

Ranked duels -
this is definitely the most demanded feature. The main idea behind this is that you start with a default ELO rating (e.g. 1000), if you win a duel you gain rating, if you lose a duel you lose rating. People also want their average rating to be displayed in chat within the pvp lobby, or just have a leader board for that. Another common idea related to this is having "seasons" which last a month, and at the end of each season, everyone's ratings refresh. It would be a good idea as it would freshen up the pvp scene every month and would be an incentive for new players to try to be the top player that month. It would effectively be the equivalent of a new pvp update happening every month in terms of rejuvenation of the game mode, but with very little developer input, a win win situation. This would also make cubecraft the only server which has 1.9 combat to have ranked duels, and if you do the same for 1.8 I'm certain the player base would be thriving.
There is only one downside to this it seems (according to the replies to threads I've seen), certain people believe this would cause "toxicity". I personally believe that its just a myth, and that the already strict enough chat filter/staff should stop toxicity levels becoming critical, but I felt as though I had to mention it. Either way, the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion.

Team battles (2v2s, 3v3s, 5v5s etc.) - These are just like duels, but with more than one player on each side, as soon as one whole team dies, the remaining players win. I think this would be very fun and could work in tandem with the party feature to elevate this even further. This would also be a very nice feature for streamers, as they could invite watchers into their party and they could battle it out in an arena and it would be a nice experience, which could result in non-cubecrafters to watch the stream and decide they want to play cubecraft.
The only drawback I can think of with this is that the builders would have to spend time building larger maps to accomodate the number of players in each team battle, but again, I strongly believe that the positives crush the negatives.

REAL skywars/eggwars duels - NOTE: do NOT confuse this with the skywars/eggwars KITS in duels and say "we already have this".
A skywars duel could just feature two player islands and a middle (as you see in skywars), a preset skywars kit that would be identical for each player, building, water, lava etc all enabled and the last man standing wins. To make this even more interesting, there could be a few spawn chests on each island, to give it a real skywars feel. The problems involved with this suggestion are: if there are chests, one player would usually have perhaps slightly better gear (but this would just emulate skywars, so this would probably be accepted by players), and again, it would require builders to make new maps (a quick fix for this is they could just copy islands from the actual skywars minigame, but instead of having 12,16,24 etc, they can just use two + mid). I think this would have real potential.
An eggwars duel could have two players with the same starter gear (two islands and a mid), just like with the skywars idea, but this time they have an egg, and the egg needs to be destroyed, then the player, before a winner can emerge. Another way this could be done is to have generators and a shop. I don't think anything like this has ever been done before, on any server or at any time, so again I feel it would have a lot of potential.

A /duel command - This is a convenience suggestion. Some players have all players as invisible due to lag issues, so whenever they want to challenge someone to duel them, they have to toggle players back on again, and then find that player in the lobby (IF they are even in that lobby) until they can have a duel. A task that takes minutes in some circumstances, for a duel that lasts seconds. To fix this, add a command /duel [player], which then comes up with the duel GUI that would usually come up and if possible, make it so any player can use it on another as long as they are in a pvp lobby.

REAL 1.8 duels - Remove the "classic duels" section and instead make a real version of duels for the 1.8 version. This has been heavily requested (even more so than in blockwars, which you've already added, and this is arguably an easier gamemode to implement this in) and would highly likely increase the 1.8 player count. There are not many big EU 1.8 duels servers these days (most are either 1.7, North American, or both) so you could capture a new player-base there.

Mini tournament - This hasn't been suggested on threads an awful lot, but I am in many Discords, and most of them are ones which organise 1v1 pvp tournaments. They are VERY popular, I'm talking over 100 players will turn up on a Friday night, from all over the world, and fight in a knockout style tournament, and these are servers owned and ran by players the competitors haven't even heard of! Imagine if cubecraft added this. Anyway, the way you could effectively carry out something similar is to have a game of 8 or 16 players, have them vote for what kit the mini tournament will feature, then the people that die are eliminated, the winners get sent to the next round and are randomly put against each other. Then it repeats until there is one final duel, and the winner gets a generous xp/points bonus.

I had another one but I forgot it so if I remember it again I'll include it.

/spectate - Not suggested too often, but it would be neat if you could spectate any ongoing matches. Again, this would help make Twitch/YouTube streams more entertaining when they're having little competitions for rank giveaways etc. 6/3/2018

Anyway, leave down your own thoughts and ideas below. In my opinion another pvp update is needed as the latest one was a bit flat for people's liking's considering the amount of time it took to release.

Last edited:

ThaDoggo

Sep 2, 2017
the Netherlands
After a couple of regular mini pvp updates soon after the combat update in 2016 (the last of which took place in June 2016), we had to wait about a year and a half (November 2017) for a new pvp update.
It was a bit of a let down because it took so long, but the only features that were added were rematches (highly requested and quite convenient to be fair), kit reshuffling (adding/removing/changing kits, which were problems long before the update happened, kudos for doing them but they should have been treated straight away instead of spending an update fixing them) and new maps (three... three maps were released in over a year and a half... don't get me wrong, its better than 0, but you get the point).

This was underwhelming, so I think there should be another pvp update with bigger and exciting changes, rather than disguising bug fixes and a couple of maps as a huge update.
I have looked at the suggestion threads ever since that "update" there are quite a few ideas that have been cropping up over and over again, and I will also bring my own ideas to the table, and of course I invite any readers to reply to this thread with their own ideas, in hope that the developers will use this thread as their main source IF (hopefully "WHEN") they ever decide to create another pvp update.

Ranked duels -
this is definitely the most demanded feature. The main idea behind this is that you start with a default ELO rating (e.g. 1000), if you win a duel you gain rating, if you lose a duel you lose rating. People also want their average rating to be displayed in chat within the pvp lobby, or just have a leader board for that. Another common idea related to this is having "seasons" which last a month, and at the end of each season, everyone's ratings refresh. It would be a good idea as it would freshen up the pvp scene every month and would be an incentive for new players to try to be the top player that month. It would effectively be the equivalent of a new pvp update happening every month in terms of rejuvenation of the game mode, but with very little developer input, a win win situation. This would also make cubecraft the only server which has 1.9 combat to have ranked duels, and if you do the same for 1.8 I'm certain the player base would be thriving.
There is only one downside to this it seems (according to the replies to threads I've seen), certain people believe this would cause "toxicity". I personally believe that its just a myth, and that the already strict enough chat filter/staff should stop toxicity levels becoming critical, but I felt as though I had to mention it. Either way, the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion.

Team battles (2v2s, 3v3s, 5v5s etc.) - These are just like duels, but with more than one player on each side, as soon as one whole team dies, the remaining players win. I think this would be very fun and could work in tandem with the party feature to elevate this even further. This would also be a very nice feature for streamers, as they could invite watchers into their party and they could battle it out in an arena and it would be a nice experience, which could result in non-cubecrafters to watch the stream and decide they want to play cubecraft.
The only drawback I can think of with this is that the builders would have to spend time building larger maps to accomodate the number of players in each team battle, but again, I strongly believe that the positives crush the negatives.

REAL skywars/eggwars duels - NOTE: do NOT confuse this with the skywars/eggwars KITS in duels and say "we already have this".
A skywars duel could just feature two player islands and a middle (as you see in skywars), a preset skywars kit that would be identical for each player, building, water, lava etc all enabled and the last man standing wins. To make this even more interesting, there could be a few spawn chests on each island, to give it a real skywars feel. The problems involved with this suggestion are: if there are chests, one player would usually have perhaps slightly better gear (but this would just emulate skywars, so this would probably be accepted by players), and again, it would require builders to make new maps (a quick fix for this is they could just copy islands from the actual skywars minigame, but instead of having 12,16,24 etc, they can just use two + mid). I think this would have real potential.
An eggwars duel could have two players with the same starter gear (two islands and a mid), just like with the skywars idea, but this time they have an egg, and the egg needs to be destroyed, then the player, before a winner can emerge. Another way this could be done is to have generators and a shop. I don't think anything like this has ever been done before, on any server or at any time, so again I feel it would have a lot of potential.

A /duel command - This is a convenience suggestion. Some players have all players as invisible due to lag issues, so whenever they want to challenge someone to duel them, they have to toggle players back on again, and then find that player in the lobby (IF they are even in that lobby) until they can have a duel. A task that takes minutes in some circumstances, for a duel that lasts seconds. To fix this, add a command /duel [player], which then comes up with the duel GUI that would usually come up and if possible, make it so any player can use it on another as long as they are in a pvp lobby.

REAL 1.8 duels - Remove the "classic duels" section and instead make a real version of duels for the 1.8 version. This has been heavily requested (even more so than in blockwars, which you've already added, and this is arguably an easier gamemode to implement this in) and would highly likely increase the 1.8 player count. There are not many big EU 1.8 duels servers these days (most are either 1.7, North American, or both) so you could capture a new player-base there.

Mini tournament - This hasn't been suggested on threads an awful lot, but I am in many Discords, and most of them are ones which organise 1v1 pvp tournaments. They are VERY popular, I'm talking over 100 players will turn up on a Friday night, from all over the world, and fight in a knockout style tournament, and these are servers owned and ran by players the competitors haven't even heard of! Imagine if cubecraft added this. Anyway, the way you could effectively carry out something similar is to have a game of 8 or 16 players, have them vote for what kit the mini tournament will feature, then the people that die are eliminated, the winners get sent to the next round and are randomly put against each other. Then it repeats until there is one final duel, and the winner gets a generous xp/points bonus.

I had another one but I forgot it so if I remember it again I'll include it.

Anyway, leave down your own thoughts and ideas below. In my opinion another pvp update is needed as the latest one was a bit flat for people's liking's considering the amount of time it took to release.
I really like all of your Ideas! Esspecially the ranked and 16 player ffa thing!

Reactions: SpankMeSanta

FartiliciousMaleGuy

Dedicated Member
Oct 14, 2017
under your bed
Damn this thread has some golden ideas! Good job with providing the development team with pretty much a fully layed out update hahaha, cuase this would all be really cool.

Each one of them sounds interesting. No complaints to anything.

Now PvP might actually be something more interesting and fun aside from just 1v1's and FFA (Assassin's is pretty much like a combination of Duels and FFA, it doesn't really bring enough new or signifcant to the table imo, but correct me if i'm wrong though, i barely play it). PvP can be expanded a lot more beyond that, as is shown here with this thread. I especially adore the Tournament idea, tournaments are almost always fun no matter what game. Right now Duels is fine, FFA is also fine, Assassin's is ok, Ranked duels? Ranked duels is like you mentioned very requested and i personally also wouldn't mind seeing it. It sounds cool, the competive nature of it can be really fun (toxic? possibly, but like you stated --> chatfilter. If people really can't handle the toxicity that could still be leftover then either learn how not be super sensitive or just don't play it); good competition is what makes players really grind their teeth into a game if done right, which is obviously a good thing from a server side perspective. The Tournament though, damn that ain't fine, that's fire, sounds like a fantastic idea. The team battles also seem like such an obvious thing to have with PvP really and seems like a must have for it.

Everything you stated sounds great, i love it, i love it, i love it. Good job, well done. Get on it staff.

Also with the tournament idea, you could even take it further and make a team battle variant of it to up the scale of it, people (to which i belong in too) seem to love being part of a grand, big scaled game in my experience (if there are enough players of course).

Last edited:

SpankMeSanta

Dedicated Member
Nov 12, 2016
Ranked duels? Ranked duels is like you mentioned very requested and i personally also wouldn't mind seeing it. It sounds cool, the competive nature of it can be really fun (toxic? possibly, but like you stated --> chatfilter. If people really can't handle the toxicity that could still be leftover then either learn how not be super sensitive or just don't play it); good competition is what makes players really grind their teeth into a game if done right, which is obviously a good thing from a server side perspective. The Tournament though, damn that ain't fine, that's fire, sounds like a fantastic idea. The team battles also seem like such an obvious thing to have with PvP really and seems like a must have for it.

Everything you stated sounds great, i love it, i love it, i love it. Good job, well done. Get on it staff.

Also with the tournament idea, you could even take it further and make a team battle variant of it to up the scale of it, people (to which i belong in too) seem to love being part of a grand, big scaled game in my experience (if there are enough players of course).

Agreed, good reply. Even if they didn't want to add ranked duels with a rating system, they could at least add daily/weekly/monthly leaderboards for wins and killstreaks. I too don't understand this whole thing with "toxicity". I mean, hypixel have all sorts of leaderboards and ranked gamemodes, yet 3-4 cubecrafts worth of players still play there every waking second. The main concept to all of this is that the positives outweigh the negatives.

You have an interesting idea with the team tournament mode thing, but I think that is a suggestion for a later date, we don't want to give the developers the old "its too complicated to add this" excuse.

Reactions: FartiliciousMaleGuy

matcha

Forum Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Droptown
Or maybe a "Hall of Fame" where there are NCP's of each season's #1 player

Yea that would be really nice ^^. Especially since the seasons will pretty much only last 1 month. As for where they'll put this 'Hall of Fame', the lobby can use a upgrade. It's a bit old :p

Edit: these emojis...

Shrek Trained Me

Apr 16, 2017
North Korea
with their own ideas, in hope that the developers will use this thread as their main source IF (hopefully "WHEN") they ever decide to create another pvp update.

Ranked duels -

Give credits for both or else i cry.

Members Online

Team online

Members online

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on UnfWasTaken's profile.
Welcome to the forums!:D I hope you will enjoy your stay here ^-^
Eli wrote on Pineapple's profile.
Hi Applepine
Just got a perfect game of Bedwars Duos. Really wish I was recording :/
IMG_5334.png
Eli wrote on JellyFish01's profile.
Happy Birthday!!!!
Eli
Finally got through the first page of voting streak rewards!

1714349194331.png
Top Bottom