• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

SoppeJam

May 10, 2017
What is 2Fa
In today's world of increasing digital crime and internet fraud many people will be highly familiar with the importance of online security, logins, usernames and passwords but if you ask them the question "What is Two Factor Authentication?" the likelihood is they will not know what it is or how it works, even though they may use it every single day.

With standard security procedures (especially online) only requiring a simple username and password it has become increasingly easy for criminals (either in organised gangs or working alone) to gain access to a user's private data such as personal and financial details and then use that information to commit fraudulent acts, generally of a financial nature.

How does it work?

Two Factor Authentication, also known as 2FA, two step verification or TFA (as an acronym), is an extra layer of security that is known as "multi factor authentication" that requires not only a password and username but also something that only, and only, that user has on them, i.e. a piece of information only they should know or have immediately to hand - such as a physical token.

Using a username and password together with a piece of information that only the user knows makes it harder for potential intruders to gain access and steal that person's personal data or identity.

How can this benefit Cubecraft?

Having the ability to use 2Fa makes it alot easier to protect your account from brothers, sisters, hackers and everyone else that potentially can harm your account on cubecraft using hacks or committing other punishable offences.
So the amount of messages saying "But my account was hacked" or "but my little sister hacked on my account."

Sources:
https://www.securenvoy.com/two-factor-authentication/what-is-2fa.shtm

Reactions: SpringWarz

SoppeJam

May 10, 2017
Though I see where you are coming from
Think about how this would be possible on the server?

Presuming you mean in game
Since the forums already have this
It's possible to have this on server. I have it on my own network.

hgbf

Forum Veteran
Oct 27, 2015
Behind the command block
minecraft.net
Let's be honest, not that many people would want to check their email or phone just to log into a minecraft server...

A similar solution is passwords. This might seem good, but many people will use the same password as their minecraft account. If the database gets leaked, a lot of account details will be on the loose.

SoppeJam

May 10, 2017
Okay let me rephrase what I meant by that

Can you think about how this would be possible for the server... and elaborate

You don’t really explain any sort of criteria for this
How do you mean?
I think you mean this:
How can this benefit Cubecraft?

Having the ability to use 2Fa makes it alot easier to protect your account from brothers, sisters, hackers and everyone else that potentially can harm your account on cubecraft using hacks or committing other punishable offences.
So the amount of messages saying "But my account was hacked" or "but my little sister hacked on my account."

SoppeJam

May 10, 2017
Let's be honest, not that many people would want to check their email or phone just to log into a minecraft server...

A similar solution is passwords. This might seem good, but many people will use the same password as their minecraft account. If the database gets leaked, a lot of account details will be on the loose.
That is why I said Ability so you are not required to have it enabled.

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
How do you mean?
I think you mean this:
Well for what you gave as your very brief explanation to anyone who doesn’t know what it is
that requires not only a password and username but also something that only, and only, that user has on them, i.e. a piece of information only they should know or have immediately to hand - such as a physical token.
A physical token obviously wouldn’t be reliable
Because you can’t scan it or anything

Meanwhile a piece of information doesn’t work either
It may work on other servers
As Albert Einstein famously said “there are 2 things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity”

You know people will start complaining that they are basically banned because they forgot their password
Many many people

Also people could hack accounts with it off and turn it on
Or people’s relatives/friends

SoppeJam

May 10, 2017
Well for what you gave as your very brief explanation to anyone who doesn’t know what it is

A physical token obviously wouldn’t be reliable
Because you can’t scan it or anything

Meanwhile a piece of information doesn’t work either
It may work on other servers
As Albert Einstein famously said “there are 2 things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity”

You know people will start complaining that they are basically banned because they forgot their password
Many many people

Also people could hack accounts with it off and turn it on
Or people’s relatives/friends
The first part: if you have no clue about what you are talking about don't reply. It's definitely possible to make it scannable. Using a QR-code on a map or a web generated QR-code.

For the second part:
I have to agree on that. But luckly we have admins who can turn it off right? Or we have backup codes which you can use to disable the 2fa.

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
The first part: if you have no clue about what you are talking about don't reply. It's definitely possible to make it scannable. Using a QR-code on a map or a web generated QR-code.
I doubt anyone would use it then
It is way more work then is necessary for using
Also once again how would that stop people’s family and friends from doing this
Compromised accounts are seeming more rare

For the second part:
I have to agree on that. But luckly we have admins who can turn it off right? Or we have backup codes which you can use to disable the 2fa.
Nonetheless it would still cause problems less then it is probably saving

Members Online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Heya, after a good while years having not appreciated sleep a lot, have I learned things. I have most of the times seen it as a hindrance to things such as relations and projects. But after years I realised that you need to sleep to be well. Both physically and mentally. When I also realized that I could work better and more efficiently, did I try to get more sleep. That reminds me, I need to sleep now hah XD
Eli wrote on marshduck11's profile.
I like your profile picture
Mr Jii Gamer wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Thank you so mush for everything

I know i am late bc i didn't realize that you have left the team sadly we see the better one go ..
Will be announcing the giveaway winner within the next 2 hours or so.
Reesle wrote on Cloudiefly's profile.
Happy Birthday! 🎂 ☁️
Top Bottom