Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Eli

Forum Veteran
Dec 25, 2017
Bogota, Colombia
  • To begin this thread, I would like to say that I encourage to not pick on the details, think of the bigger picture, of the bigger idea I'm trying to share with my arguments. The reason why I do this is because of the growing impression I have, that the old forums were superior, in terms of functionality mostly. But I do recognize that what we have now is a huge upgrade in terms of appearance. That being said, this thread will be organized in spoilers, each one titled with a specific subtopic, to make it look more organized and less intimidating to who might read this.

As a general argument, no I don’t dislike these things about the new forums because I’m too used to the old one. I had these impressions from the beginning, but ignored them since I thought it was only the contrast I was feeling from having used the old format for years now. Enough time has passed for me to test these features and experience the forum experience how I would months ago, I already know where everything is and how everything works. And these things still fail to convince me, they fail to provide the same convenient and easy experience the forums used to have.

In the old forum design, everything was more straight to the point, much more clear. Much easier for a visiting user to find everything they need. And for a concurrent member to consult the places they frequently need. The new organization that was given to specifically subforums is really confusing, especially because subforums aren’t listed by relevance and what’s most frequently contacted by CubeCrafters, like it was in the old forums. Where we had only the most important subforums at the top: Suggestions, Rules, Staff Applications and Support. Having things like Creations and Competitions on top has no logical sense and just contributes to making the forums feel disorientating.

Another change that I don’t find favourable is the renaming of some sub-forums, why is “Everything Else” “The Lobby” who is going to guess that’s the place for off-topic posts? The previous title described what the subforum was about. Why are gamemode subforums so huge, making it hard to find more important things like Support and Staff Applications. Overall the organization is not coherent with what the users need, it’s not arranged conveniently how it was in the old design.

I will say it straight away I am not completely certain of what factors caused this but I think this is a problem evident to any forum user that has been around before the change, posts don’t get to as many people as they used to. Threads don’t get nearly the same amount of attention, living example: CCG Memes. How come the thread is getting so little posts after easily being the liveliest thread in the entire website? Something is really wrong with the new forums, and I can’t quite get a grasp of what it is.

I do have some theories, though it’s mostly speculation. What I listed in the previous spoiler has to do with this, the forums are confusing, they’re hard to navigate and not because they’re not like the old forums. I’ll get into greater detail in the next spoiler about this.

It has been hard for me to keep up with everything new on the forums, and I am certain many people have experienced the same thing. It has to do with the way notifications are formatted, they’re not easy to read, and it’s much less easy to find what content you have already reviewed and what you haven’t. Also how all subforum messages are listed in the “New Posts” only makes the more “relevant” threads vanish away from public attention very quickly.

Forums content is not receiving enough exposure, the entire website seems to be centered around the featured content, and not user made content. It’s really easy to miss out on good, interesting threads. Which is also greatly affecting discussion, since having threads be harder to find means less people participate, which not only reduces the quality of the results discussions can bring, but also ends up demotivating to think that whatever you put out there won’t even be seen by that many people. The website looks really active, but for some reason it’s not.

This is easily for me the most disappointing part about this “upgrade”, was it really an upgrade? Overall the website looks like a compilation of bits and pieces that don’t look coherent together. Don’t get me wrong, there clearly is a lot of effort put into the design, but it doesn’t look right altogether does it? Some parts look empty, unfinished, perhaps even rushed.
The thing I specifically dislike the most is the “New Posts” tab and how it shows weird coloured tags that represent subforums, and how the profile picture is the one of the person who posts and not the thread owner. In a way profile posts served as “thread icons” and made threads much more recognizable than what we currently have. There is also really no need to list the subforum, the tags look really ugly and messy. The home page is also really ugly in itself, the way featured content is shown is really weird, and the thread pictures don’t really look right.

If I had to describe the new forums in three words it would be: Pretty, Chaotic, Incoherent.

In Conclusion, these are legitimate issues that most certainly should be addressed, because I am under the impression that with this “upgrade” functionality was sacrificed to favour looks. And it has been greatly damaging to our forums community.

Thank you for reading this! I encourage every single person reading this to go ahead and leave a reply. Everyone’s input is highly important, and I appreciate it a lot. Let’s get the conversation going!

PD: I know this could go on the forum feedback subforum, but this subforum gets to more people.

Calichin

Dedicated Member
Aug 20, 2019
Americaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Agree with the points you mentioned.

I know that we must all adapt to change, but like you, I gave it time and it still doesn't entirely convince me like the old forums used to.

I love how they want to upgrade and make something great for all of us, but we definitely should reach a point where it has the nice looks that they wanted to accomplish from this update. But still maintain the user friendly environment the old forums used to have.

I'll always appreciate the work put in to making the new forums, they did a great job really revamping things and made many changes. But there is always room for improvement and I hope we can fix this and have the forums be as active as it used to be.

ItzEnd3r

Forum Expert
Aug 18, 2019
Boulder
www.cubecraft.net
I was thinking the same things but still thought that i just wasn't used to it yet... Seeing that someone else still feels the same way shows that there are some major issues, I also feel like the Forums Feedback Bugs and Suggestions section has worn out its use and is just taking away space from other more valuable categories. CCG memes used to be by far the most active thread and it has been completely replaced by featured threads. I think what i miss most from the old forums is how it was much more community based, the new one feels like all they are trying to do it push information to the community and hide the unrelated/non-informative posts.

LlTE

Jul 20, 2019
Turkey
We respect and appreciate your opinion, and certainly every person here should express what he saw. This is a courage to get out and write this thread.

Reactions: Eli

Drakie❤

Dedicated Member
Nov 4, 2019
over there
Pronouns
He/Him
Spoiler: Organization In the old forum design, everything was more straight to the point, much more clear. Much easier for a visiting user to find everything they need. And for a concurrent member to consult the places they frequently need. The new organization that was given to specifically subforums is really confusing, especially because subforums aren’t listed by relevance and what’s most frequently contacted by CubeCrafters, like it was in the old forums. Where we had only the most important subforums at the top: Suggestions, Rules, Staff Applications and Support. Having things like Creations and Competitions on top has no logical sense and just contributes to making the forums feel disorientating.

Another change that I don’t find favourable is the renaming of some sub-forums, why is “Everything Else” “The Lobby” who is going to guess that’s the place for off-topic posts? The previous title described what the subforum was about. Why are gamemode subforums so huge, making it hard to find more important things like Support and Staff Applications. Overall the organization is not coherent with what the users need, it’s not arranged conveniently how it was in the old design.

I find this paragraph extremely true. Threads that are at the top are mostly featured or staff-made threads, not saying that these threads are uninteresting or bad, but the algorithm or whatever is planning the current layout is not showing relevant or threads that are visited by the community more.

Also, after the new update, I was looking for CCG memes, and couldn't find it simply because "The Lobby" wasn't something I expected for CCG memes to be in. I think that the old subforum and forum layout should be if not completely, slightly changed and transferred to the new forums.

Though it is quite harder to find some specific threads in the new forums, I think that the "Trending", and "Latest Posts" are some ways you could access newer or more community-visited threads.

I also have an idea that could bring more exposure to the forums. The timing on this could be changed but let's just say every one week, a non-featured, non-staff user's thread will be featured somewhere on the home page. Of course, the thread has to appropriate and something interesting or important that CCG users should see.

Thanks, @Eli for making this thread, more people need to see this!
excuse my spelling or grammar mistakes, i just woke up :/

MrTommy

Dedicated Member
Jul 3, 2019
Legoworld
www.instagram.com
Pronouns
He/Him
I hate the new forums, they look amazing but the old forums where better with fuction and orginatization.
Some things i hate with the new forums:
-Is that when you click on your profile/name on the top, then you go your account details and not your profile page, what before was a 1 click action now is 3 clicks.
- Animated/gif profile images, they are amazing, but that they constantly move is annoying and distracting, maybe make it like discord, that they only move when you hoover your mouse over it or click on it, maybe even make it a toggable setting.

I'm glad i am not the only one who dislikes the new forums. A great thread, and thank you for making this

zMigi_

Jun 1, 2017
AmigoLand
zmigi.ca
Pronouns
They/Them
I strongly agree with this! everything I would like to add to this has already been said by @Drakie. remember i told you since day one i didnt quite like the new forums :p

miguelitoindus

Apr 23, 2020
Madrid
  • To begin this thread, I would like to say that I encourage to not pick on the details, think of the bigger picture, of the bigger idea I'm trying to share with my arguments. The reason why I do this is because of the growing impression I have, that the old forums were superior, in terms of functionality mostly. But I do recognize that what we have now is a huge upgrade in terms of appearance. That being said, this thread will be organized in spoilers, each one titled with a specific subtopic, to make it look more organized and less intimidating to who might read this.

I don't really have an opinion on this lol, all I know is that I never posted on the old forums because they were too confusing for me, ang low-key ugly.

With this design, I personally find it easy to find where everything is, and I am inclined to post stuff.
I don't really know what the old forums where like, but as a new Forums member, these forums work for me. Plus I think they look amazing.

Anyway its great that we can talk about this stuff, we have to constantly improve!

Reactions: ItzEnd3r

RickDeKlomp

Forum Expert
Jun 11, 2017
The Netherlands
I totally agree. I must say I havent used the new forums as much as I used the old one, I dont even know where to find certain stuff. I do however think the forums changed in a bad way. I feel like the community vibe is gone and the profile posts are mainly congratulations or thread promotions. But Im not sure if the new forums is to blame for that. Maybe some old people left, but I think a lot of new people joined the forums (which changed the community). I dont think you can (easily) change a community. The Discord server is still allright, but the forums definitely lost the vibe of the amazing community it once was. Im not saying the community got much worse, but it did change for sure.

Members Online

Team online

Members online

Latest profile posts

Frontlane wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday 🥳
dvodany wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy b-day! 🍰
WorriedSkate940 wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday!!!
denki_kiri wrote on savina875's profile.
Thanks for the follow :D
Desiderata wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
eggs age over time

how curious
Top Bottom