• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxy011

Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Which one and why?
I suck at pvp but I do prefer 1.9 more as in my opinion it does require more skill and thinking - the strafing, weapon cooldowns etc. In 1.8 you just jitterclick, basically.

Plus I find fishing rods annoying in 1.8, but that's just me. :p

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
*Jitterclick* - 1.8 skill
Timing your hits, strafing, jumping - the axe and sword cooldown - 1.9 skill

I think 1.9 requires more skill, but yeah, I'm bad at both soo...

Umm 1.8 is way more then just vibrating your arm....

OnePointEight.exe

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2017
Cooldowns don't require any more or less skill then playing 1.8. Also everything else you said can be done on 1.8.
Probably biased. Also I find that once you get good to a certain extent at 1.9 you can't really improve.

Reactions: Lilleh__

Foxy011

Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Cooldowns don't require any more or less skill then playing 1.8. Also everything else you said can be done on 1.8.

Probably biased. Also I find that once you get good to a certain extent at 1.9 you can't really improve.
Like I said, I'm a full on noob when it comes to pvp, that was just my opinion :D

OnePointEight.exe

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2017
1.9+. It's modern, up to date (doesn't miss out on any future features).
Would you like it if 1.9 had a command /oldpvp. It would change combat and the health system but keep it as 1.9.

Also cube is still in 1.9... there isn't much difference between 1.9 and 1.8 update wise.
Apparently it seems very hard to update any further as well.
more of a skill curve in my opinion other than just clicking fast, less about who has the better gear.
You guys need to shut the actual fu- heck up about click speed. It doesn't matter that much. I get 10 cps and I have about 1650 elo on badlion UHC meetups. (Then I got drained).

No one ever talks about aiming with fishing rods. It's basically a very fast paced bow it's a projectile that you need to constantly need to be switching with. It takes very good aim to use efficiently but no one ever talks about it for some reason... I would say it's harder to aim then a 1.9 weapon.

Also in both, weapon stats are the exact same same with armor. If you are reffering to golden apple chugging you are boring. Golden apple chugging exists in 1.8 as well. Just not as big of an issue.

Foxy011

Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2017
United Kingdom
Would you like it if 1.9 had a command /oldpvp. It would change combat and the health system but keep it as 1.9.

Also cube is still in 1.9... there isn't much difference between 1.9 and 1.8 update wise.

You guys need to shut the actual fu- heck up about click speed. It doesn't matter that much. I get 10 cps and I have about 1650 elo on badlion UHC meetups. (Then I got drained).

No one ever talks about aiming with fishing rods. It's basically a very fast paced bow it's a projectile that you need to constantly need to be switching with. It takes very good aim to use efficiently but no one ever talks about it for some reason... I would say it's harder to aim then a 1.9 weapon.

Also in both, weapon stats are the exact same same with armor. If you are reffering to golden apple chugging you are boring. Golden apple chugging exists in 1.8 as well. Just not as big of an issue.
triggered.jpg

Reactions: Ruisdier

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net

I'm talking about pure combat, just melee here. What I mean by the skill curve, is needing to time hits being somewhat important rather than just spamming and aiming. I'd like to think there are three major skills in a straight up 1.9+ melee fight:
1. Aim
2. Timing
3. Manouvering
Timing is incredibly important in 1.9; Much more important that it can be in 1.8.
In 1.8, most people argue that these would be the three major skills:
1. Aim
2. Clicking speed
3. Manouvering

This is completely without taking any other fight modifying items like rods, potions, food, blocks, etc.
This is pure, one on one melee. Instead of a hit trading session with the combo every so often, you'd be stuck with a fight where your armour would probably completely break before you can even deal decent damage. In 1.9, your armour durability isn't constantly being drained & you have to have a good endurance to win an outgeared fight. All the endurance I see in 1.8 is with pot PVP & prot 5, sharp 5, etc. PVP. For the rest, in a completely vanilla fight, it'd be over in seconds and the one with the better gear is very likely to win (at least this is like this in my experience)
I fully understand that aiming with a rod is difficult for some, but I've never found it too hard to do that & switch back to be honest.
I completely agree that golden apples are the bane of 1.9 though.

And after all, this is all just an opinion really.

Lilleh__

Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2017
Imo neither is any better or worse than the other, they're just wildly different, and require different skillsets.

I prefer 1.8 due to the fast pace, but in Cube I play 1.9 bc it has games.

The skillsets are mostly the same, but the few differences are big.

In 1.8, every hit is a good hit, and the most talked about skill, which some ppl see as all there is to 1.8, is jitterclicking. The skill in this comes in the form of how fast you can click as the higher your cps the better your chance of landing another hit as soon as the target's invulnerability is over. In 1.9, its like your the weapons operator for a John Reid robot as the skill in jittering's place is waiting for a good hit. Can you time your hit to land as soon as your cooldown is fully charged and have you managed to hit the player?

The next is blocking, which in 1.8, to blockhit, is actually significantly harder than 1.7 as you, rather than being able to hold down right click while clicking left, have to jitter both clicks to be both blocking and hitting consistently. In 1.9, blockhitting is completely removed as swords can no longer be used to block. Instead, shields exist. This comes in as a skill while having a long ranged bow fight if you have a shield as you have to time your shots to go when the opponent's charging their shot and time your blocking to be in effect when their arrow reaches you.

Then there's the gapple changes that I won't get into as its not that much of a skill.

Umm 1.8 is way more then just vibrating your arm....
I wonder how long until someone takes that out of context.

Reactions: OnePointEight.exe

OnePointEight.exe

Dedicated Member
May 26, 2017
I'm talking about pure combat, just melee here. What I mean by the skill curve, is needing to time hits being somewhat important rather than just spamming and aiming. I'd like to think there are three major skills in a straight up 1.9+ melee fight:
1. Aim
2. Timing
3. Manouvering
Timing is incredibly important in 1.9; Much more important that it can be in 1.8.
1. Aim
2. Clicking speed
3. Manouvering

This is completely without taking any other fight modifying items like rods, potions, food, blocks, etc.
This is pure, one on one melee. Instead of a hit trading session with the combo every so often, you'd be stuck with a fight where your armour would probably completely break before you can even deal decent damage. In 1.9, your armour durability isn't constantly being drained & you have to have a good endurance to win an outgeared fight. All the endurance I see in 1.8 is with pot PVP & prot 5, sharp 5, etc. PVP. For the rest, in a completely vanilla fight, it'd be over in seconds and the one with the better gear is very likely to win (at least this is like this in my experience)
I fully understand that aiming with a rod is difficult for some, but I've never found it too hard to do that & switch back to be honest.

Raw sword v sword pvp in 1.9 could be technically better. However 1.8 does much better when more items are involved. You aren't punished by 1.9 cooldowns every time you want to use an item. Excluding your off hand of course. And when I play build UHC I consistently use 8 of the 9 slots. (I ussually don't use my lava bucket in 5 but many do). It makes the game more interesting when you have the ability to switch between 4 different things a second. Bow shot, then rod, then sword, then lava bucket then gap. In 1.9 you can't do this and hit them. 1.8 has a lot more strategy built around it I find. Fast paced strategy. Also being able to aim is harder when really good at 1.8. You have to be hovering over them 20 times a second (game tickspeed). If not, high cps doesn't do ANYTHING. High cps doesn't matter as much as you guys make it seem.

Also the reason why it may be easier to fight better geared people is because not many 1.9 players are too particularly good. I played opffa the other day for the lols and first life I get an 8 kill streak. If you were undergearing someone just as good as you I doubt you would win. In a hypixel UHC I killed a 3 team all by myself and they were out gearing me (Then I got cleaned).

Fights in 1.8 can take a long time. Build UHC fights ussually take around 1 minute (full diamond p2 and s3 diamond sword) anything past that ussually hurts my hand (lol).

At the end of the day it does come to opinion, but I think there can still be objective reasons one is better than the other.

SlipperyEJ

Novice Member
Aug 24, 2017
1. Aim
2. Timing
3. Manouvering
1. Aim
2. Clicking speed
3. Manouvering

If the gears even then armor wont be broken easily. You can combo for 3 minutes and armor wont break. In my opinion its a lot more likely to win a 1.8 fight if you dont have as good gear then a 1.9/.

LethalPig

Apr 10, 2018
lmao 1.8 is way better. Its way more fun to click as fast as possible and just getting the most insane comboes as possible. 1.9 has almost no skill mojang even admitted that they did it to make it easier for new players to be better. A new player shouldnt be as good as a player that has been playing for years. Just because people werent good at pvp doesnt mean they shoulda totally reworked the system.

Reactions: SlipperyEJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Members online

Latest profile posts

Frontlane wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday 🥳
dvodany wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy b-day! 🍰
WorriedSkate940 wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday!!!
denki_kiri wrote on savina875's profile.
Thanks for the follow :D
Desiderata wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
eggs age over time

how curious
Top Bottom