Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey here are project ideas I think would be good

CubeCraft Deja Vu
This project idea would be fun for the CubeCraft community in my opinion.

I am suggesting that CubeCraft add back an old game every weekend(Friday to Sunday) so players could experience those games again.

Games like Speed Eggwars, Bingo, Assassinations, etc could be added back for the weekend. I think if this was implemented it would be better not to tell people the game that would be added back on the coming Friday as it would be more fun to get a surprise on that day that “oh, I get to play Bingo for the next three days” etc.

Throughout Monday to Friday at 5pm BST no removed-game would be present but on the weekends they would.

Resources:
  • Project Lead: Choosing the games, posting a forums thread including the individual game rules.
  • Developer(s): Fixing any high priority bugs on the game.
  • QA: Testing the game before the Friday every week.
  • Moderation: Moderators being told in advance(Monday-Thursday) the individual game rules for moderation and if needed creating rules.

Exterminator Project
So we all know bugs are quite a big problem on CubeCraft, not enough resources go towards the fixing of bugs while a huge amount goes towards the logging and testing of bugs.

I am creating an idea in which CubeCraft create an update where a few things happen:
  • More resources are put towards fixing bugs before the summer.
  • Bugs which may seem of low priority but are actually reported a lot and complained about a lot should be fixed.
  • And creating some sort of “Community Developer” applications in which members of the community can become developers on CubeCraft unpaid under an NDA and can fix bugs and create content: they’d obviously have to be experienced and trustworthy. Community members who are experienced developers who can spend an hour or two of their time without needing to commit to actually spending 10+ hours a week who could work on small suggested content changes and bugs would be a great step forward for Cube in my opinion, not having to wait a year for a game update to come around for a small item addition or balancing change to a game. I also believe having new Community Developers or whatever you’d like to call them would create actual developer recruitment for par and full time jobs much easier as members of the community could prove themselves before applying for a role as developer.
Resources:
  • Project lead: Deciding the bugs that should be fixed before the hoped for influx of players during the summer time.
  • Developer(s): A full time developer or community developers(if they exist) fixing bugs.
  • QA: Testing that the bugs have been fixed.
Weekly Content Injection
This project suggestion is a “Weekly content injection”, which would basically mean every week a piece of content would be added to a chosen game(in cycle) to the network.

Chosen by the project lead 3-5 different suggested pieces of content by the community through the feedback and suggestions system could be added to a poll on the forums where community members could vote for what they’d like to see added to the game of that week.

For example in Tower Defence, this could be a new tower, or a new troop, not a full content update but a little change to the game to keep it interesting

Poll example(Tower Defence):
  • New troop: community suggestion
  • New tower: community suggestion
  • Track Change on Oceana: community suggestion
  • None are good choices(important so that no unbalanced or not acceptable pieces of content would be added to the game)
Poll Example:
  • Stronger swords at middle the middle of Skywars maps
  • New kit addition: community suggestion
  • New Solo Skywars map
  • None are good choices
Resources:
  • Project lead: Creating the weekly poll thread on what would be added to the game on cycle(for example - this week would be Minerware or whatever)
  • Developer(s): IMO as suggested in my Exterminator project suggestion a community developer would be good for this as its just for example a new item to a game or something, it wouldn’t be big.
  • QA: Testing would be required to check if its balanced and working
  • Designers: If for example apart of the poll was a community suggestion or changing a specific tower defence track or something a designer may be required(also for new small maps in for example solo egg or Skywars)

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
Interesting idea, but it has very unrealistic expectations of the team and its resources.

CubeCraft Deja Vu

I am suggesting that CubeCraft add back an old game every weekend(Friday to Sunday) so players could experience those games again.

Games like Speed Eggwars, Bingo, Assassinations, etc could be added back for the weekend. I think if this was implemented it would be better not to tell people the game that would be added back on the coming Friday as it would be more fun to get a surprise on that day that “oh, I get to play Bingo for the next three days” etc.

Throughout Monday to Friday at 5pm BST no removed-game would be present but on the weekends they would.

Resources:
  • Project Lead: Choosing the games, posting a forums thread including the individual game rules.
  • Moderation: Moderators being told in advance(Monday-Thursday) the individual game rules for moderation and if needed creating rules.

The development time into this alone would take quite some time, many games no longer on our network were removed for a reason, if we were going to go to the effort on updating them to meet our standards we might as well bring them back permanently. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge advocate for Speed Egg Wars, but even I would rather time be spent re-implementing this back into current egg wars than a separate game mode that is only temporary.

Exterminator Project
So we all know bugs are quite a big problem on CubeCraft, not enough resources go towards the fixing of bugs while a huge amount goes towards the logging and testing of bugs.

I am creating an idea in which CubeCraft create an update where a few things happen:
  • Bugs which may seem of low priority but are actually reported a lot and complained about a lot should be fixed.
  • And creating some sort of “Community Developer” applications in which members of the community can become developers on CubeCraft unpaid under an NDA and can fix bugs and create content: they’d obviously have to be experienced and trustworthy. Community members who are experienced developers who can spend an hour or two of their time without needing to commit to actually spending 10+ hours a week who could work on small suggested content changes and bugs would be a great step forward for Cube in my opinion, not having to wait a year for a game update to come around for a small item addition or balancing change to a game. I also believe having new Community Developers or whatever you’d like to call them would create actual developer recruitment for par and full time jobs much easier as members of the community could prove themselves before applying for a role as developer.
Resources:
  • Project lead: Deciding the bugs that should be fixed before the hoped for influx of players during the summer time.
  • Developer(s): A full time developer or community developers(if they exist) fixing bugs.

I can assure you that bugs constantly reported are high on our list and are being worked on. The correlation between bugs being reported a lot and them not being a high priority is false. Some bugs take time to fix or are pushed back due to other more important things that need to be worked on first. Like other bugs. If a bug is a major issue of course we are going to aim to get it taken care of as soon as possible. The "Community Developer" role sounds like the Jr. Developer program we had ages ago and honestly, it's not needed. Firstly, with the content they would be exposed to, of course, they would need an NDA. When we are in need of developers we will seek applicants through the jobs page. It would take more resources and time to onboard and train individuals to become developers when we can hire individuals who already know what to do. (This may also be why we canceled that old program.) An hour or two is not nearly enough time to be putting into the long and extensive work our developers do consistently. We are not looking for part-time trainees when it comes to large-scale content/server development and bug fixing.

The main problem with this part of the suggestion is that this is a perspective from outside the team. With absolutely no disrespect, you have no idea how our team operates internally, nor what we need to improve our team. While your suggestion could work for some servers, I don't think this is what we need.

Weekly Content Injection
This project suggestion is a “Weekly content injection”, which would basically mean every week a piece of content would be added to a chosen game(in cycle) to the network.

Chosen by the project lead 3-5 different suggested pieces of content by the community through the feedback and suggestions system could be added to a poll on the forums where community members could vote for what they’d like to see added to the game of that week.

For example in Tower Defence, this could be a new tower, or a new troop, not a full content update but a little change to the game to keep it interesting

• None are good choices(important so that no unbalanced or not acceptable pieces of content would be added to the game)
Poll Example:
  • New Solo Skywars map
  • None are good choices
Resources:
  • Project lead: Creating the weekly poll thread on what would be added to the game on cycle(for example - this week would be Minerware or whatever)
  • Developer(s): IMO as suggested in my Exterminator project suggestion a community developer would be good for this as its just for example a new item to a game or something, it wouldn’t be big.
  • Designers: If for example apart of the poll was a community suggestion or changing a specific tower defence track or something a designer may be required(also for new small maps in for example solo egg or Skywars)

Another issue with this suggestion is that you ask for bugs to get more attention and for us to fix more things, but then expect us to also implement weekly things at the same time. You're asking us to complete tasks that take much longer than a one-week time frame which in reality pushes other things back and takes up more time when we could rather save these items for a planned update. I have no experience developing a new troop for Tower Defense but I can assure you the time that it would take to make it far exceeds a week. Besides this taking away content from future updates, it ultimately is not realistic for our team to firstly do weekly implementations of this size and also double down on bugs.

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
Well I mean, bugs aren't really of high priority for CubeCraft, maybe game breaking ones or the bugs that are very visible on popular games, but in most games there are still loads of bugs and on the network in general.

I completely understand that the bugs that have only come up in the last month or so may not be fixed yet, but the bugs which have been around for over a year, should really have been fixed by now, it doesn't take a year to fix a bug.

And I can understand bugs are fixed with their priority and not from how long they've been logged for, but when bugs come up after updates or due to a developer creating a bug by accident they should be fixed right in the moment as that would be much easier.

Take Tower Defence as an example. Tower Defence was updated over a year ago now yet loads of bugs haven't been fixed post-update due to developers being moved on by the admin team straight away, if more time was allocated towards bugs post-update, we as a Tower Defence community wouldn't be left with a game that is actually worse off now that pre-update.

I'd also like to say that many people have joined CubeCraft to player Tower Defence after Hypixels Tower Wars was removed, unfortunately these people are seeing a server that neglects bugs, unlike Hypixel "small bugs" are very prevalent, bugs that are just really small but all together they add up to something big, you think; why can't they just be fixed. And of course as well as that they see neglected games like Tower Defence. People joining the server shouldn't leave CubeCraft with a bad image of the server. If more time was allocated to bugs we wouldn't see people leaving the server due to how buggy it is.

CubeCraft spend a lot of time concentrating on making updates that will bring more players in while forgetting that they're loosing players everyday due to neglect of bugs on certain games/in general around the network.

And speaking of gaining players, I know for a fact that any Hypixel player would go straight back to Hypixel if for a weekend they could play Tower Wars for a while, which is why I thought the first suggestion would be good.

The second suggestion would be good as more time should be allocated towards fixing non-game breaking/not always visible bugs, as they do actually create quite a bad image for CubeCraft as a server and company.

The third suggestion would be incredibly good for the community in my opinion, not having to wait for a year for a small little suggestion to be implemented would be absolutely amazing for smaller games and taking your point on board, they don't have to be huge things, smaller than a tower, or a troop. Maybe just a map change or something like that, I know the Tower Defence community would love some map track changes. For example removing some splits.

99th_DutchVoid

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2016
Overijssel, The Netherlands
www.99th-dutchies.nl
Pronouns
He/Him
I can assure you that bugs constantly reported are high on our list and are being worked on
I can take a look at our list of unfixed reported bugs for many counterexamples
But one major, long term bug that is definitely reported over and over is the not properly working seasonal challenges...
But also many, maybe not major, bugs that dó influence gameplay are still not fixed but could easily be with a few months of pure bug fixing.

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
Well I mean, bugs aren't really of high priority for CubeCraft, maybe game breaking ones or the bugs that are very visible on popular games, but in most games there are still loads of bugs and on the network in general.

I completely understand that the bugs that have only come up in the last month or so may not be fixed yet, but the bugs which have been around for over a year, should really have been fixed by now, it doesn't take a year to fix a bug.

And I can understand bugs are fixed with their priority and not from how long they've been logged for, but when bugs come up after updates or due to a developer creating a bug by accident they should be fixed right in the moment as that would be much easier.

Take Tower Defence as an example. Tower Defence was updated over a year ago now yet loads of bugs haven't been fixed post-update due to developers being moved on by the admin team straight away, if more time was allocated towards bugs post-update, we as a Tower Defence community wouldn't be left with a game that is actually worse off now that pre-update.

I'd also like to say that many people have joined CubeCraft to player Tower Defence after Hypixels Tower Wars was removed, unfortunately these people are seeing a server that neglects bugs, unlike Hypixel "small bugs" are very prevalent, bugs that are just really small but all together they add up to something big, you think; why can't they just be fixed. And of course as well as that they see neglected games like Tower Defence. People joining the server shouldn't leave CubeCraft with a bad image of the server. If more time was allocated to bugs we wouldn't see people leaving the server due to how buggy it is.

CubeCraft spend a lot of time concentrating on making updates that will bring more players in while forgetting that they're loosing players everyday due to neglect of bugs on certain games/in general around the network.

And speaking of gaining players, I know for a fact that any Hypixel player would go straight back to Hypixel if for a weekend they could play Tower Wars for a while, which is why I thought the first suggestion would be good

The second suggestion would be good as more time should be allocated towards fixing non-game breaking/not always visible bugs, as they do actually create quite a bad image for CubeCraft as a server and company

The third suggestion would be incredibly good for the community in my opinion, not having to wait for a year for a small little suggestion to be implemented would be absolutely amazing for smaller games and taking your point on board, they don't have to be huge things, smaller than a tower, or a troop. Maybe just a map change or something like that, I know the Tower Defence community would love some map track changes. For example removing some splits.
This is simply untrue, bugs are most certainly a high priority for Cuberaft, we have a whole team working on fixing bugs, just because we don't fix every single bug at the snap of a finger doesn't mean nothing is being done. You don't realize how long it takes to fix certain bugs, if we could fix all of the bugs we currently are aware of right away it would have been done. You don't realize that we are working on numerous other things as well as bug fixing, some bugs are simple to fix, others are not, and some aren't even on our end or are fixable. If we dropped everything just to fix certain bugs, we would get complaints about content, if we shifted to get more content, we get complaints about bugs, regardless of what we would do, people still complain. I can assure you we are aware of many of the bugs currently affecting the server and when we can push out fixes for them we will. I'm also sure if the team decides we need to make improvements to our current system or functionality that it will come from an internal discussion rather.

I'm not going to address the other two suggestions again as I already explained why they wouldn't work. Regardless of how you see it, I know for a fact it wouldn't work.

I can take a look at our list of unfixed reported bugs for many counterexamples
But one major, long term bug that is definitely reported over and over is the not properly working seasonal challenges...
But also many, maybe not major, bugs that dó influence gameplay are still not fixed but could easily be with a few months of pure bug fixing.

As mentioned before, it's not as simple as you make it seem. Fixing bugs can be very simple, or very difficult depending on what it is. Spending a few months on ONE bug is extremely unproductive, not only does that set aside many other current projects and other bugs, but that doesn't even guarantee we will correct the bug.

99th_DutchVoid

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2016
www.99th-dutchies.nl
Pronouns
He/Him
As mentioned before, it's not as simple as you make it seem. Fixing bugs can be very simple, or very difficult depending on what it is. Spending a few months on ONE bug is extremely unproductive, not only does that set aside many other current projects and other bugs, but that doesn't even guarantee we will correct the bug.
I agree, but there are plenty of bugs that I'm pretty sure would require only a minor change and I'd give an hours to fix, tops. Not talking about the weird, once in a lifetime glitches here, but mostly the always-present side effects of half-tested updates. There's plenty of them that annoy me and many others every time and really are not that hard to fix...

This all assuming that the CubeCrafts code base is not one big pot of unreadable spaghetti, but somewhat decently structured, of course.

muby

Oct 2, 2021
Nigeria
This is simply untrue, bugs are most certainly a high priority for Cuberaft, we have a whole team working on fixing bugs, just because we don't fix every single bug at the snap of a finger doesn't mean nothing is being done. You don't realize how long it takes to fix certain bugs, if we could fix all of the bugs we currently are aware of right away it would have been done. You don't realize that we are working on numerous other things as well as bug fixing, some bugs are simple to fix, others are not, and some aren't even on our end or are fixable. If we dropped everything just to fix certain bugs, we would get complaints about content, if we shifted to get more content, we get complaints about bugs, regardless of what we would do, people still complain. I can assure you we are aware of many of the bugs currently affecting the server and when we can push out fixes for them we will. I'm also sure if the team decides we need to make improvements to our current system or functionality that it will come from an internal discussion rather.

I'm not going to address the other two suggestions again as I already explained why they wouldn't work. Regardless of how you see it, I know for a fact it wouldn't work.

True. There are many bugs and some of them are so hard to fix because you probably don't know what causes the bug and coding is really hard

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
"I'm also sure if the team decides we need to make improvements to our current system or functionality that it will come from an internal discussion rather."

Yes however this is a feedback and suggestions subforum and if I was an owner of a company I would love community feedback. Especially when the most complained about thing are bugs.

I don't really agree with your point of views on my suggestions and these are things id like to see done, and if they dont get trialed or implemented i still think they'd be good

always nice to dream xD

• Agree
Reactions: 99th_DutchVoid

99th_DutchVoid

Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2016
www.99th-dutchies.nl
Pronouns
He/Him
You don't realize that we are working on numerous other things as well as bug fixing, some bugs are simple to fix, others are not, and some aren't even on our end or are fixable.
I didn't read this the first time (only the reaction to my comment), but still wanted to comment on this.

I actually am a developer for several years, worked on different projects and different clients. Some project management of one of the companies I worked for that I think CubeCraft might learn something from:
Whenever we released new features (both big or small), we would actually reserve time for fixing bugs that were reported by the users. We often already got assigned new tasks, but bugs from the latest release got priority over new features, always! Minor things were always fixed right away, but in some breaking cases it even meant reverting the feature until it was properly fixed, or rescheduling it for later. And I think this got the most positive feedback from our client, because they also know that bugs happen. But you have to handle it, and don't tell them "Yeah, thanks, will fix that some day" and then do nothing with it for over a year or forever...
I think CubeCraft should also schedule time to fix bugs after a release, and not immediately reassign developers to new projects, because (and I can't stress this enough): THERE WILL BE BUGS! The only question is: are you going to deal with them, or ignore them?

josepadgui

Mar 26, 2021
Cordoba, Spain
Pronouns
He/Him

CubeCraft Deja Vu

Resources:

Exterminator Project

Resources:
Weekly Content Injection

Poll Example:
  • New Solo Skywars map
  • None are good choices
Resources:
I think these suggestions would be a great addition for CubeCraft and would bring a lot of new players to both networks. Great job!!

• Love
Reactions: Matriox

Komodо

Forum Professional
May 29, 2015
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
www.cubecraft.net
we might as well bring them back permanently.
Great idea! I would advise you to start with Blockband.

Anyways, I have read through all of this.
First of all, thank you Doc, for replying to this thread. Normally I don’t think enough attention is being given to these threads.

I would very like to see the Developer Trainee system being implemented again. While you might not end up fixing many bugs in 2 hours a week, every help is needed. Especially with bugs being around for more than a year. However, I think Matriox meant the Trainer Team should focus on smaller bugs, that aren’t prioritised atm.
To add, I would say this is kinda a sloppy argument. While you’re probably right; it won’t be added cause the staff team doesn’t like it. However, if it has never been added in a proper way, you can’t know whether it will work or not.

Reactions: Matriox

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
Hey Matriox,

Thank you for your detailed and interesting suggestion. Unfortunately, the server team has decided to deny your suggestion.

We love the idea of old and removed games returning to our platforms, but unfortunately, we had to remove those games for a reason. We had to consider that reason when discussing your suggestion and its feasibility.

When considering your suggestion, we need to note that it will require us to pump hours of work/hours (ultimately money) into games that will likely end up with maybe a few hundred players at peak times. This causes us to believe it will not be a good use of our resources, which could be spent on bugs or updates for an already existing game mode instead.

Regarding community developers, we won’t be able to use them, as we’d have to expose the code of our games to anyone who wants to contribute. Getting someone to sign an NDA takes time, and it’s not guaranteed that nothing will get leaked. People would be able to copy our code without us knowing, and they could be storing it somewhere or using it for their projects. Community developers are something that we have discussed before, but the amount of time, effort & money needed to run a team, especially a development team, is far greater than what you’re expecting.
Furthermore, someone from the server team would get pulled off their updates to work on this project, which we aren’t even sure how long it would take. Unfortunately, it is unrealistic to think we can push out something every week or two weeks, considering people also go on holiday.

We don’t find it reasonable to fix bugs and create entirely new assets to game modes within 1-2 weeks. This is based on experience where sometimes even developing the behavior of something or fixing 1-2 bugs can take up a week, let alone the details and QA’ing of it. Keep in mind that even fixing a bug can sometimes cause another bug to appear, so the cycle is almost always consistent.

We’re sorry to disappoint everyone that agreed with this thread. We believe that this is not the right path for us to take as a team, and we would rather focus on our existing content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Casualpoalrbear wrote on TheOrderOfSapphire's profile.
Congrats.
Kiyaan gaming world on YouTube
This might be one of the weirdest excuses I have seen after killing someone.

2024-03-28_23.34.25.png
Top Bottom