Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
Paintball
upload_2017-5-28_12-54-15.jpeg

Paintball has got to be my favourite update on this server since Cubecraft 2.1 (2015), and the reason for this is that it feels very similar to two other games that I play already: Call of Duty, and Destiny. As such, for the first time in almost a year, I've actually been excited to play Cubecraft, so thank you for this gamemode. I haven't played it too much yet, however I have gotten very good at it very quickly (See https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/god_aphrodite-carrying-people-on-paintball.190323/#post-835031). Therefore, I'd like to share a few tips with people to help them get better at this gamemode.

There are four 'gamemodes' in Paintball:
Normal -
A single-shot, slow fire-rate weapon that deals minor damage
Shotgun - A multi-shot, average fire-rate weapon that deals huge damage in a large radius
Machine - A single-shot, high fire-rate weapon that deals minor damage
Rocket - A single-shot, slow fire-rate weapon with a large blast radius, that annihilates enemies

Normal
Because the Time to Kill (TTK) is so high in Normal mode, often times the outcome of games will be decided long before same games have even begun. If you want a chance at winning, you need to be on the team with the greatest number of players. This is because unlike in the Shotgun and Rocket modes, it is very difficult to win a 1v2 or 1v3 fight when you kill people this slowly and difficultly.

Also, because the TTK is so high, Normal is one of two gamemodes (The other being Machine), where you want to openly aim for headshots in every engagement you find yourself in. This is because headshots deal 30% extra damage, meaning that you can kill your opponent in as few as three hits! If you can get into the habit of headshotting people with great accuracy, you will melt your enemy in every 1v1 encounter you find yourself in.

Furthermore, you want to strafe in every battle you get into. This is where you move to the side whilst firing, making it harder for your opponent to hand a direct hit on you. This will make it especially hard for them to hit your head.

Grenades are also very valuable, because while they're inaccurate, they can cut down your opponent's health by a lot. This is far easier than having to try and shoot a strafing target five times with a slow-firing gun.

Lastly, because your weapon does such little damage and fires so slowly, it's a fantastic idea to pursue power-ups. The most notable ones would be the Rocket, which has a chance to one-shot enemies on a direct hit, the Shotgun, which will guarantee you at least two free kills by annihilating the enemies' health bars, and Speed, which will allow you to strafe a lot more effectively.

Shotgun
In this gamemode, the TTK is very low, with players dying in as few as two rapid and accurate shots. Therefore, team numbers aren't as important. After all, if there are only say, three of you on your team, then the enemy is going to have a harder time amounting to the twenty-five kills required for them to win. Whereas, if they have five players, then it's far easier for you to kill many of them at a time, assuming you know how to.

A very good method I have found for Shotgun mode, is simply to have a better range than your opponent. If you can hit them but they cannot hit you, what could go wrong? The best way to do this is to jump, or fire from a height advantage at a distance. It's even easier if they're running straight at you, since you can just jump and move backwards, vanquishing them before they can get within range. This thereby makes the Jump power-up pretty useful.

Another strategy that you want to adopt as quickly as possible, is flanking. There are effective flanking routes on every single map. In Oriental for instance, you can go through the bottom-right/left side of the map and take the enemy's staircase to the higher ground, emerging behind them. On Lego it's slightly more difficult, but in my opinion, the most rewarding. You can run to the side off spawn, and if nobody notices you, you can come into middle from the side. This gives you an opportunity to kill literally every player on the enemy team, without being noticed. From there, you can run to a side and hide underneath one of the bridges until they've all ran past you. This allows you to kill them all again, from behind. Lastly, in Castle, take one of the side tunnels. If no opponents have done the same, you can kill all the noobs that predictably went to the middle tunnel from the side. You now have a height advantage since you're on their field, making it difficult for them to reach you.

Health power-ups are the most valuable in this mode in my opinion. This is because while your enemies die in two shots, so do you, idiot. The health power-up does two different things, depending on two different scenarios. If you're at less than full health, it will provide you with Regen I. If you are at full health, it will give you five extra hearts. The latter is very desirable, since it means that it will now take three shots to kill you, instead of two. This gives you the winning advantage in every fight, including 1v2s and 1v3s.

The Machine power-up is also very valuable, since it removes the fire-rate cap from the shotgun. This allows you to spam the thing, creating a destructive tsunami of high-damage snowballs. If you find this power-up, run to the enemy spawn and mow down everybody that gets in your way.

Strafing to the side isn't as important in Shotgun mode due to the wide spread of the guns, so instead, try to either get very close to your opponent and strafe around them, or move backwards and jump to create a distance.

Headshots also aren't important in shotgun mode, since it isn't going to help you kill your opponent in less hits.

Rocket
In this gamemode, the TTK is very low, with players dying in as few as one slow shot. Team numbers therefore aren't as important, however I would still recommend leaving if you aren't going to be on the largest team. This is because rockets can be quite inaccurate, and because they shoot a lot slower than the shotgun, it's going to be a lot harder to win encounters where you're outnumbered.

Flanking works equally as well in this mode as in Shotgun mode.

Your strafing is going to have to be a lot more sporadic and sudden if it's going to be effective. Because the fire-rate in this gamemode is so low, you want to fire a rocket, and then sprint-jump out of the way of your opponent's. This is because you have time to sprint before being able to fire your next shot.

Also, accuracy is important in this gamemode. Dealing AoE damage to your opponent will not suffice, and will require two rockets. A direct hit however, will deal a large enough damage that the subsequent fire effect will burn your opponent to death in one rocket.

Using walls to your advantage will make all the difference between you going on a ten killstreak and being top dog, and dying thirteen times and making your team ragequit. For example, firing a rocket at the wall in the middle tunnel of 'Castle', means that the blast radius is going to damage and likely kill most players in its path. Firing straight down the tunnel however, means that you risk missing everybody and the rocket going off into nowhere land. If you can create gaps between pursuers, you can get them up against a wall and fire at it whilst you're out in the open, making it a lot easier for you to hit them than it is for them to hit you.

The Health power-up is probably the most useful one to pick up, for obvious reasons. More health, means less dying to death, especially in one shot.

I won't go into anything regarding Machine because I rarely play it. I imagine that most of what I mentioned in Normal applies to this though.

Good luck mortals, and may your wisdom and might kill many noobs in the name of Athena.

lars.l

Novice Member
Nov 27, 2016
Thank you for the detailed explanation
I'm not very good at paintball .
I will try these tips.

Twann

Dedicated Member
Oct 17, 2016
The Netherlands.
Someone already used these tips?
I'm very bad at paintball twice played both lost..
If I will go play then I use your tips!
Nice Guide. ;)

Spleefy

Novice Member
May 27, 2017
Arcade
Nice guide, Snap, thanks for sharing.

I'm decent at paintball, but I'm in awe of how incredible some people are at it. Some people are so hard to hit, even if you do the strafe dance with them, and virtually every ball they throw your way hits you.

I'm relieved that we have infinite balls now, so you don't have to worry about running out of ammo if you do a very long strafe dance with someone; in classic paintball, this would make you run out of paintballs when they finally got wasted. Also, if you didn't get wasted for a while you would have no ammunition to fight back and so had to resort to punching lol.

My favorite is Machine Gun mode. Normal mode now seems like it has a snail-paced feel to the game. Picking up speed is so rad. It reminds me of the old days of classic paintball when there were tons of hackers at the time and some would use a hack that made them not only shoot at lightning speeds but also strafe at incredible speeds.

Shotgun mode is growing on me... I, too, have discovered that shooting slightly up into the air and jumping whilst creating some distance begets multiple kills rapidly. A lot of people use the same strategy of shooting at the target as you would in normal or machine gun mode. But shooting up a bit and making them fall like bombs onto the player's heads has amazing results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

GiGaGekkies wrote on ItzJqlmer's profile.
Gefeliciteerd maatje! <3
GiGaGekkies wrote on Kloska's profile.
Happy Birthday!
Matriox wrote on Kloska's profile.
Quack-tacular Birthday to you, dear duck friend! 🎉 Wishing you a pond full of joy, a sky full of sunshine, and a heart full of love on your special day! May your feathers stay fluffy, your ponds be plentiful, and your quacks be heard far and wide. Here's to another year of waddling adventures and endless smiles! 🦆🎂

I love chat gpt
Mr Jii Gamer wrote on Kloska's profile.
Happy birthday 🎈
Lyriie wrote on Kloska's profile.
Happy birthday!
Top Bottom