Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
hi im bored heres a threado like and subscrizzle

One of the things that truly confounded me when I was a Moderator, was the ratio of good-to-bad appeals. It seemed that for every good appeal I came across, there were literally hundreds of bad ones. In fact, I only recall a couple of them ever convincing me without any further thought to remove a punishment in a span of over a year. So, he's a guide of sorts on how to write a good appeal.

What staff look for in an appeal
What is looked for in appeals differs depending on the staff member reviewing it. Some staff are more lenient, others not so much. Though, the things that matter most in an appeal are honesty, detail, politeness and remorse and past offences.

Staff will ask themselves two questions when reviewing appeals. These are 'Is the punishment justified?' and most importantly, 'Will they break the rules again (assuming they're guilty)?'

What staff don't look for in an appeal
There are a few things that staff either don't want to see, or don't need to see. For example, they don't want to see lies nor excuses, and they don't need to see irrelevant details and good grammar. In fact, grammar is rarely - if ever - assessed. This is Minecraft; children play it, and children are less capable of writing a flawless essay for an appeal. Staff know this, and so will not penalise you for things such as spellign erors, so long as it's clear that you have tried.

Honesty
Dishonesty is the fastest way to get your appeal denied. You want to be as honest as possible, because lying only suggests that you're not sorry for breaking the rules; you're sorry you got caught breaking the rules. Dishonesty is, after all, synonymous with rule-breaking. Keep in mind staff probably have evidence of your misdeeds, so lying is often a death sentence for your account. I denied pretty much all dishonest appeals with no second thought, and so will most other staff members. Even if you think a little lie or two will increase your chances, it won't; do not go there.

Detail

The appealing stage is a very useful opportunity to explain as much of the incident leading up to your punishment as possible; do not waste it. You can only appeal once, so if your account matters to you even a little bit, you should put some effort into it instead of cracking your appeal out in sixty seconds. Simply saying "please unban I didn't do anything wrong smh?" will earn you a ticket to a denied appeal. If staff don't think you care about your account, why would they unban you? If you don't care after all, you're more likely to break the rules. Also, recounting information accurately demonstrates that you're being honest.

A few details to include are:
-Reasons why you broke the rules. Distinguish between a reason and an excuse - Don't just say "Somebody was hacking so I did it too", or "They swore at me first", because these are excuses, not reasons. At the very least, own up to it and apologise. Do not shift the blame onto somebody else, it's your appeal, not theirs!

-If falsely banned, the activity you were doing at the time and any possible reasons for why you may have been wrongly banned (i.e. clicking too fast, lagging, perhaps the game glitched out or you got stuck inside a block)

Politeness
Whether you were wrongly banned or otherwise, politeness is essential to getting unbanned. If you cuss out a staff member for banning you, they're not going to be offended. No, they're going to laugh at your appeal, deny it, and probably share it with their co-workers so that they can enjoy it as well. If you're all fired up at the time of writing your appeal, then go to sleep and write it tomorrow instead.

If wrongly banned, don't insult the staff member who banned you (which will be the staff member who receives your appeal. Oh, another reason not to lie). Honestly, the number of 'SUPERxSNAP wrongly banned me pls demote them' appeals was truly astonishing. Even if the staff member is in the wrong, they'll feel more inclined to remedy their mistake if you show a little patience and understanding with them. Which do you think sounds better, 'Please lift my sanction. No hard feelings, mistakes happen', or 'You terrible mod either unmute me or sleep with one eye open'? Staff are human, mistakes happen. Yes, it's inconvenient to be wrongly muted/banned, but politeness and cooperation will result in a much faster resolution than if you go and do the thing you were wrongly punished for in your appeal.

Remorse and past offences
Remember when I said the most important question the staff ask themselves is 'Will they break the rules again?' Well, if you don't seem remorseful then they're going to conclude that you might break the rules again, and so will not unban you. Something that might be a problem in this regard would be excuses, such as the aforementioned "They swore at me first" example. Staff are unfortunately still human (though the age of the AI is drawing closer), and will understand if you swore or cheated in the heat of a really tense game, because mistakes happen. But, you have to take responsibility for your actions and emphasise that it will not happen again.

Though, remorse will only take you so far. I recall a popular PvP player who I won't name, that I muted for swearing. Sure, they seemed extremely remorseful, going so far as to message me months afterwards on the forums. Just one problem: they had thirteen previous sanctions, I believe six of which were mutes. So, 'Will they break the rules again?' Probably. This is a factor that's actually completely out of your control. Staff can access all your former offences with a single click, so the only way for your past offences to not be an issue is to not have many in the first place. In other words, if you don't break the rules often, you'll have an easier time being excused when you do break the rules. One or two previous punishments is probably fine, but any more than that and there's probably a very good reason you've been punished, and it's best to keep it that way.

Irrelevant details
You won't necessarily be penalised for including irrelevant details, but consider this: Some staff check hundreds of appeals at a time. If 80% of your appeal is irrelevant to the case in question, said staff member will probably just skip over your appeal, leaving somebody else to do it. This makes the process of having your appeal checked a lot slower than it needs to be. They've just done 176 appeals, you really think they want to read about what you had for breakfast this morning?

Good grammar
So long as your appeal is coherent, your grammar really doesn't matter too much. Still, having good grammar is a way to show you care about your account and are remorseful, for it shows you've put unnecessary effort into getting its punishment lifted. But again, don't worry about your grammar too much.

Hopefully this "guide" is useful to you. Better yet, hopefully it doesn't apply to you and never will, because that means you're a well-behaved snapling. If any section is lacking or incorrect, please say so and I will correct it :)

Gainfullterror

Forum Professional
Mar 24, 2016
Breakfast for Dinner Club HQ
www.cubecraft.net
Great, informative guide! People usually lack the knowledge of how an appeal usually should look like if they want to be forgiven (or so I've heard at least), so this will definitely help those out.
One thing I'd add, though, is a little heads up at the end saying something along these lines: "If you have been punished and you try to lie your way out of it by following all of the steps I have mentioned here, the moderators will know, so don't even try lying."
(You briefly mentioned this, but it wasn't emphasized much)

In fact, grammar is rarely - if ever - assessed. This is Minecraft; children play it, and children are less capable of writing a flawless essay for an appeal. Staff know this, and so will not penalise you for things such as spellign erors, so long as it's clear that you have tried.
btw, this has to be ironically intended, right?

Reactions: Sophie

alltop10

Aug 23, 2016
Great guide! I won't need this as I don't hack / say things to get me muted but for other people who have made mistakes this will come in very handy for them!

I think this should be pinned as it will help first time offenders have a good chance at having their appeal accepted and be able to play again (Hopefully not hacking / saying things to get muted). Also it will help the staff who deal with appeals have an easier time reading the appeals (as more people will use good grammer).

(of course for repeat offenders they have a very, very slim chance to have their appeal accepted)

telegamer

Forum Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
Bansilvania
bit.ly
Also we don't care that korbkraft (CubeCraft) is your favourite server because that all of a sudden is everybody's favourite when appealing and we don't care about. Neither were you banned because of the most extreme internet. Oh, and if you believe your mute isn't going to go away anyway, just come up with the most creative excuse, gives us a laugh atleast ;)

remio

Forum Professional
Sep 18, 2016
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
hi im bored heres a threado like and subscrizzle

One of the things that truly confounded me when I was a Moderator, was the ratio of good-to-bad appeals. It seemed that for every good appeal I came across, there were literally hundreds of bad ones. In fact, I only recall a couple of them ever convincing me without any further thought to remove a punishment in a span of over a year. So, he's a guide of sorts on how to write a good appeal.

What staff look for in an appeal
What is looked for in appeals differs depending on the staff member reviewing it. Some staff are more lenient, others not so much. Though, the things that matter most in an appeal are honesty, detail, politeness and remorse and past offences.

Staff will ask themselves two questions when reviewing appeals. These are 'Is the punishment justified?' and most importantly, 'Will they break the rules again (assuming they're guilty)?'

What staff don't look for in an appeal
There are a few things that staff either don't want to see, or don't need to see. For example, they don't want to see lies nor excuses, and they don't need to see irrelevant details and good grammar. In fact, grammar is rarely - if ever - assessed. This is Minecraft; children play it, and children are less capable of writing a flawless essay for an appeal. Staff know this, and so will not penalise you for things such as spellign erors, so long as it's clear that you have tried.

Honesty
Dishonesty is the fastest way to get your appeal denied. You want to be as honest as possible, because lying only suggests that you're not sorry for breaking the rules; you're sorry you got caught breaking the rules. Dishonesty is, after all, synonymous with rule-breaking. Keep in mind staff probably have evidence of your misdeeds, so lying is often a death sentence for your account. I denied pretty much all dishonest appeals with no second thought, and so will most other staff members. Even if you think a little lie or two will increase your chances, it won't; do not go there.

Detail

The appealing stage is a very useful opportunity to explain as much of the incident leading up to your punishment as possible; do not waste it. You can only appeal once, so if your account matters to you even a little bit, you should put some effort into it instead of cracking your appeal out in sixty seconds. Simply saying "please unban I didn't do anything wrong smh?" will earn you a ticket to a denied appeal. If staff don't think you care about your account, why would they unban you? If you don't care after all, you're more likely to break the rules. Also, recounting information accurately demonstrates that you're being honest.

A few details to include are:
-Reasons why you broke the rules. Distinguish between a reason and an excuse - Don't just say "Somebody was hacking so I did it too", or "They swore at me first", because these are excuses, not reasons. At the very least, own up to it and apologise. Do not shift the blame onto somebody else, it's your appeal, not theirs!

-If falsely banned, the activity you were doing at the time and any possible reasons for why you may have been wrongly banned (i.e. clicking too fast, lagging, perhaps the game glitched out or you got stuck inside a block)

Politeness
Whether you were wrongly banned or otherwise, politeness is essential to getting unbanned. If you cuss out a staff member for banning you, they're not going to be offended. No, they're going to laugh at your appeal, deny it, and probably share it with their co-workers so that they can enjoy it as well. If you're all fired up at the time of writing your appeal, then go to sleep and write it tomorrow instead.

If wrongly banned, don't insult the staff member who banned you (which will be the staff member who receives your appeal. Oh, another reason not to lie). Honestly, the number of 'SUPERxSNAP wrongly banned me pls demote them' appeals was truly astonishing. Even if the staff member is in the wrong, they'll feel more inclined to remedy their mistake if you show a little patience and understanding with them. Which do you think sounds better, 'Please lift my sanction. No hard feelings, mistakes happen', or 'You terrible mod either unmute me or sleep with one eye open'? Staff are human, mistakes happen. Yes, it's inconvenient to be wrongly muted/banned, but politeness and cooperation will result in a much faster resolution than if you go and do the thing you were wrongly punished for in your appeal.

Remorse and past offences
Remember when I said the most important question the staff ask themselves is 'Will they break the rules again?' Well, if you don't seem remorseful then they're going to conclude that you might break the rules again, and so will not unban you. Something that might be a problem in this regard would be excuses, such as the aforementioned "They swore at me first" example. Staff are unfortunately still human (though the age of the AI is drawing closer), and will understand if you swore or cheated in the heat of a really tense game, because mistakes happen. But, you have to take responsibility for your actions and emphasise that it will not happen again.

Though, remorse will only take you so far. I recall a popular PvP player who I won't name, that I muted for swearing. Sure, they seemed extremely remorseful, going so far as to message me months afterwards on the forums. Just one problem: they had thirteen previous sanctions, I believe six of which were mutes. So, 'Will they break the rules again?' Probably. This is a factor that's actually completely out of your control. Staff can access all your former offences with a single click, so the only way for your past offences to not be an issue is to not have many in the first place. In other words, if you don't break the rules often, you'll have an easier time being excused when you do break the rules. One or two previous punishments is probably fine, but any more than that and there's probably a very good reason you've been punished, and it's best to keep it that way.

Irrelevant details
You won't necessarily be penalised for including irrelevant details, but consider this: Some staff check hundreds of appeals at a time. If 80% of your appeal is irrelevant to the case in question, said staff member will probably just skip over your appeal, leaving somebody else to do it. This makes the process of having your appeal checked a lot slower than it needs to be. They've just done 176 appeals, you really think they want to read about what you had for breakfast this morning?

Good grammar
So long as your appeal is coherent, your grammar really doesn't matter too much. Still, having good grammar is a way to show you care about your account and are remorseful, for it shows you've put unnecessary effort into getting its punishment lifted. But again, don't worry about your grammar too much.

Hopefully this "guide" is useful to you. Better yet, hopefully it doesn't apply to you and never will, because that means you're a well-behaved snapling. If any section is lacking or incorrect, please say so and I will correct it :)
Thank you!
I think there are many players who need this guide!

Sophie

Forum Professional
May 1, 2014
Arendine Sink
btw, this has to be ironically intended, right?
Yes :p

I won't need this as I don't hack / say things to get me muted
You are good snapling :3

Also we don't care that korbkraft (CubeCraft) is your favourite server because that all of a sudden is everybody's favourite when appealing and we don't care about.
That's true, you see it in almost every single appeal and it just isn't needed xd B
Neither were you banned because of the most extreme internet
Oh yeah, and you don't take less knockback due to good connection, either. This was the funniest lie I ever saw tbh, knockback is a part of the game, why would it not perform properly because of good internet?

Reactions: telegamer
A

A pigeon

When appealed my antikb ban I basically wrote 6 lines starting off with an introduction , explaination of what I was doing at the time , explained my connectivity issues at the time and said “good day”.

Unbanned in 30 miniutes. Basically just write as if you were British. Makes you sound legitimate.

btw can we write appeals in sanskrit/latin/cantonese/ancient egyptian

Reactions: CommunistCactus

CommunistCactus

Forum Professional
Mar 13, 2015
Beyond time and space
When appealed my antikb ban I basically wrote 6 lines starting off with an introduction , explaination of what I was doing at the time , explained my connectivity issues at the time and said “good day”.

Unbanned in 30 miniutes. Basically just write as if you were British. Makes you sound legitimate.

btw can we write appeals in sanskrit/latin/cantonese/ancient egyptian
Same with my appeal on killaura. Started off polite, pointed out that the evidence was of very bad quality and linked my forum account to it to top it all off. Unbanned within a day

ItzCamJam

Feb 4, 2017
idek
Also we don't care that korbkraft (CubeCraft) is your favourite server because that all of a sudden is everybody's favourite when appealing and we don't care about. Neither were you banned because of the most extreme internet. Oh, and if you believe your mute isn't going to go away anyway, just come up with the most creative excuse, gives us a laugh atleast ;)
haha @telegamer just bursted my childhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

marshduck11 wrote on Kloska's profile.
Happy birthday fellow duck!
Thjis wrote on Kloska's profile.
TimBDay.jpeg

Happy Bday Tim :)