Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

Want the armor penetration mechanic from vanilla added? What about rebalancing armor?

• Q1: Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Q1: No

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Q2: Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Q2: No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
Considering that all he/she did is remind you of a rule, she's in the right.

For the suggestion:
I'm not quite certain how significant the numbers with armor piercing are, so I can't really imagine any scenarios.
In short, the more damage you deal, the more armor you bypass with your attack. As an example in 1.8, suppose the opponent is in full iron. If you deal 6 damage 2 times (so 6 damage x2) and 12 damage 1 time, the final damage dealt is the same (so 4.8 damage). In 1.9.0+ under the new formula and using the same scenario, the first will deal 6.24 damage but the latter will deal 7.68 at the end.

Long answer:
The general rule: every 2 damage you deal pierces 1 armor point. Toughness increases the amount of damage required to penetrate 1 armor point. Every 2 toughness increases the amount of damage required to pierce 1 armor point by 0.5. Each diamond armor piece has +2 toughness. For example, if a player wears full diamond armor, then every 4 damage will bypass 1 armor point.

Pierce is not an integer. The formula to calculate how much armor is pierced is therefore:

pierce = damage /(2.0 + (toughness / 4))

Basically, damage taken does not linearly scale with armor anymore as it used to be.

Ping Ether

Forum Veteran
Jun 2, 2016
Italy
+1 On the research and all, clearly shows some dedication.
But I'm here to say... Geez, Cube is still on 1.9...
Like, you know, two new other versions came out... that are much better... new blocks for builders, pvp mechanics...

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
This thread is a hybrid suggestion and explanation. I thought earlier that it was best to combine both the theory behind this server's PvP compared to regular survival combat and a suggestion into 1 thread. This thread will suggest to re-add the armor penetration mechanic to this server from vanilla mechanics.

I suspect that the armor penetration mechanic was purposely disabled at the time 1.9 was released. If this is intended, then this suggestion is a stand-alone suggestion (with theory added). If not, then this suggestion is also a bug report. I couldn't find a way to mash game mechanics, a "bug," and a suggestion in 1 sub-forums. (Copied and pasted from post #15 of this thread)

For reference, we'll use the official MineCraft wiki. The armor page can be found here:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Armor

Theory
You're familiar that armor reduces damage. In 1.8, this was simply done with the following formula:

damage taken = (1 - 0.04*defensePoints) * damage

Where defensePoints is the number of armor points you have, damage is the initial damage you take, and damage taken is how much damage you take after armor calculation. This is the formula the server currently uses (carried from 1.8).

In 1.9.2 and above, the following formula is used (taken from the wiki):

damage taken = damage * ( 1 - min( 20, max( defensePoints / 5, defensePoints - damage / ( 2 + toughness / 4 ) ) ) / 25 )

Where toughness is a value (only given by diamond armor). By default, toughness is +0 from armor pieces.

The following example proves that this server is using 1.8 damage calculation. This clip starts with damage calculation in regular survival and then shows damage calculation in CubeCraft.

A diamond sword was used against zombie (has 2 natural armor) for the test. We see here and refer to the table found in the wiki. Taken from the table, the attack therefore deals 6.89 damage per hit in the survival world, meaning the zombie dies in 3 hits. Compare this to CubeCraft, it takes 4 hits to kill the same zombie with the same sword. Using the old formula, each attack deals 6.44 damage per hit on the server. It takes a minimum of 6.67 damage per hit to kill the zombie in 3 hits, proving that this server is using old mechanics.

(If I can verify that enchant EPFs are consistent unlike 1.8's (i.e. damage is consistently reduced in 1.9 instead of variable in 1.8), then I'll add it here).

Now comes the suggestion given this theory.

Suggestion
Almost a year ago, this server stated it was going to become fully 1.9 compatible. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Why not we include armor penetration to fit more like 1.9 PvP? This mechanic doesn't and wouldn't apply to the 1.8 side of the server, only to 1.9+. Optionally, since diamond armor was rebalanced in 1.9.2 (reason toughness is exclusive to diamond armor only), it allows armor to be balanced out more than it is in 1.9.0. As with 1.8, diamond armor should effectively give 2 times the amount of HP as iron (in 1.8, effectively 100HP with diamond armor, 50HP with iron). Due to the new damage formula, the effective HP varies.

This does a few things:
-Fights will be a lot shorter. Currently, in OP eggwars for example, fights take way too long. Fights take a lot longer because of attack cooldown, regular damage calculation, and high protection enchants.
-Further encourages players to use the axe over a sword in some cases. In 1.8, the sword was always the option over the axe made out of the same material. In 1.9, the axe should penetrate more armor, but because armor penetration is disabled, axes are much weaker than they should be.
-Encourages players to go for critical hits. Risky, but in return, the attacker can deal significantly more damage under the 1.9.2+ damage formula.
-Diamond armor is still just as durable as it should be compared to that in 1.8.

I didn't suggest to update to 1.11 (the server can, but this means all other mechanics such as hunger change). This thread suggests to add ONLY the armor penetration mechanic at the least.

In short, 2 suggestions:
-Include the armor penetration mechanic (new damage formula) in 1.9+ PvP.
-(Optional): To rebalance armor, the server requires 1.9.2 at the minimum.
this isn't like they took away all 1.9 aspects excluding the attack speed

Injunction

Forum Expert
Sep 2, 2016
In A Box In San Francisco
No, they didn't. I am saying that the armor penetration mechanic isn't in this server; because of this, there isn't a complete 1.9 PvP experience.

Also, does any staff know if this is intended or not?
yes but you said it is just swing speeds there which it isn't
and i would assume if they didn't know it isn't their fault at all
because then it is just a minecraft glitch with 1.9+ servers
when i say staff i am referring to kinds of all staff

betty's oldies

Forum Expert
yes but you said it is just swing speeds there which it isn't
and i would assume if they didn't know it isn't their fault at all
because then it is just a minecraft glitch with 1.9+ servers
when i say staff i am referring to kinds of all staff
It's not swing speeds. All other 1.9 mechanics aside from armor piercing are in the server. I think I may have worded my post incorrectly.

Edit: To Ping_Ether

I know that this server's just compatible with 1.11 (could be better to always update to the latest version). As far as I know hunger, swords, and shields changed in 1.11 but other mechanics didn't.

Reactions: Injunction
Members Online

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Borgnath's profile.
Happy Birthday!
UncleSpect wrote on Borgnath's profile.
Happy birthday!
UncleSpect wrote on Capitan's profile.
Hola Capp! 🤍
After nearly 2 years on the Forums, I just figured out I can watch an entire subforum 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
IMG_5528.png

This would’ve been so useful in the past. 😭
TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on Desiderata's profile.
💙
Top Bottom