Not open for further replies.

Andyyy

Forum Expert
Dec 7, 2016
Blockwars
  • Map name: IcyPeaks
  • Adapted by: @Andyyy
Preface:
Before showing you how I've edited this map, I'd first like to explain why. IcyPeaks currently is considered by most everyday players to either be the worst or second worse map in the game vs nuclear. Most people I know will skip this map 9/10 times for a key few reasons:
  • The playing area is too limited. The map is called IcyPeaks but you are completely unable to explore those icy peaks because of a wall of barrier blocks low down will stop you completely. This inhibits many interesting strategies that use the mountains to your advantage.
  • It is too hard to attack. Due to the proximity of the spawnpoint to the flag, the defending team can easily stop anyone taking the flag so most games go to overtime.
  • There are too many bottlenecks. The bottlenecks around the flags are very small and mean a team can easily put 10+ layers of blocks to mine through, where the defending team also spawn directly next to. Without extensive use of bomber kit by multiple players, these defences are near impossible to get through.
  • There is only one viable route. The cave is the fastest and safest way of getting to the other side but it's cramped and poorly lit. The "main" route is hard to navigate with overly difficult parkour and an awkward safe route.
That being said, I've made changes that have helped with all these issues without completely redesigning the map.

Changelog:
Re-designed main building
Swapped location of flag and spawnpoint
Added fireplace to building
Added unique flag area design
Smoothened pathing
Added lovely flowers
Added a new route
Cave access improved
Cave widened and lit
Added a stalagtite
Added a new cave route
Ice parkour made easier
Waterfall route improved
Lighting poles updated
Waterfall improved
Other gameplay and aesthetic improvements.

2019-11-27_14.18.27.png
2019-11-27_14.13.20.png

Here, I've tried to emulate the build style to be as similar as possible to its predecessor while making it fit more into the landscape than before. The old building was small and boxy.

2019-11-27_14.18.53.png
2019-11-26_22.13.01.png

2019-11-27_14.19.10.png
2019-11-27_14.16.45.png

2019-11-27_14.19.24.png
2019-11-27_14.14.04.png

2019-11-27_14.17.12.png

The new route around the side of the mountain!
2019-11-27_15.54.42.png

Here's the path up to the new route. It will also allow full exploration of the mountain.

A few suggestions to build team for map implementation:
Prevent block placing around the doorway to the building to avoid some team trolling.
Have a larger block placing prevention radius around the flag like western as seeing that again would be nice while suitable for the raised flag.

Please suggest any additional changes as they will be made if suitable!

Special thanks to my friends who helped me on this:
@Herrero - helping with the homely matters
@Elivat - Helping me do the extra path along with other improvements
@God. - Helping with cave design

Last edited:

God.

Apr 29, 2017
Hell
The house looks a bit too fat for me and the map isn't supposed to be a desert ?
Aside from that I like it

_The13thDoctor_

Forum Professional
Jul 23, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
www.cubecraft.net
Pronouns
He/Him
  • Map name: IcyPeaks
  • Adapted by: @Andyyy
Preface:
Before showing you how I've edited this map, I'd first like to explain why. IcyPeaks currently is considered by most everyday players to either be the worst or second worse map in the game vs nuclear. Most people I know will skip this map 9/10 times for a key few reasons:
  • The playing area is too limited. The map is called IcyPeaks but you are completely unable to explore those icy peaks because of a wall of barrier blocks low down will stop you completely. This inhibits many interesting strategies that use the mountains to your advantage.
  • It is too hard to attack. Due to the proximity of the spawnpoint to the flag, the defending team can easily stop anyone taking the flag so most games go to overtime.
  • There are too many bottlenecks. The bottlenecks around the flags are very small and mean a team can easily put 10+ layers of blocks to mine through, where the defending team also spawn directly next to. Without extensive use of bomber kit by multiple players, these defences are near impossible to get through.
  • There is only one viable route. The cave is the fastest and safest way of getting to the other side but it's cramped and poorly lit. The "main" route is hard to navigate with overly difficult parkour and an awkward safe route.
That being said, I've made changes that have helped with all these issues without completely redesigning the map.

Changelog:
Re-designed main building
Swapped location of flag and spawnpoint
Added fireplace to building
Added unique flag area design
Smoothened pathing
Added lovely flowers
Added a new route
Cave access improved
Cave widened and lit
Added a stalagtite
Added a new cave route
Ice parkour made easier
Waterfall route improved
Lighting poles updated
Waterfall improved
Other gameplay and aesthetic improvements.

View attachment 157480
Here, I've tried to emulate the build style to be as similar as possible to its predecessor while making it fit more into the landscape than before. The old building was small and boxy.

View attachment 157482
View attachment 157485
View attachment 157487
View attachment 157488
The new route around the side of the mountain!
View attachment 157489
Here's the path up to the new route. It will also allow full exploration of the mountain.

A few suggestions to build team for map implementation:
Prevent block placing around the doorway to the building to avoid some team trolling.
Have a larger block placing prevention radius around the flag like western as seeing that again would be nice while suitable for the raised flag.

Please suggest any additional changes as they will be made if suitable!

Special thanks to my friends who helped me on this:
@Herrero - helping with the homely matters
@Elivat - Helping me do the extra path along with other improvements
@God. - Helping with cave design

This makes me actually want to play the map again, except for the fact that this hasn't been implemented. So, therefore, I will wait for this to be implemented. The point is I really like it.

Yamin

Forum Veteran
May 8, 2016
the sushi bar
Hey, this remake looks neat: it takes away the pain of going inside a narrow house just to get to the core/flag. I showed this to some other designers and the would like to take a look at it in game before giving their final opinion. Would it be possible for you to give me a schematic so I can show it to them?

God.

Apr 29, 2017
Hell
Hey, this remake looks neat: it takes away the pain of going inside a narrow house just to get to the core/flag. I showed this to some other designers and the would like to take a look at it in game before giving their final opinion. Would it be possible for you to give me a schematic so I can show it to them?
You are all invited to come to the server xd

Reactions: Eli and Yamin
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

Kazwa wrote on Frontlane's profile.
1713570291417.png

I know right
JokeKaedee wrote on WorriedSkate940's profile.
Congratulations!! 🎊
JokeKaedee wrote on Frontlane's profile.
Gefeliciteerd mopje 🥰💕
JokeKaedee wrote on xSchulzis's profile.
Congrats 🎊💗
Tommy Boi wrote on xSchulzis's profile.
good job, good luck
Top Bottom