Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net

KitsuneToru

Jul 14, 2020
Let's face it. The suggestion system is broken and in desparate need of a repair. The subforum used to be great for members sharing ideas and thoughts and about how the server could improve, with staff internally bringing up ideas and giving extra viewpoints of how suggestions could/couldn't work. What is it now? It's just a pit of repeated suggestions with poor, unclear descriptions, staff not even trying to read most of the suggestions and feedback, useless threads ranting about how the anticheat doesn't ban everyone on the server which drag attention away from everything else, some suggestions being ignored for years and then finally being added because an admin happened to see them, good suggestions being ignored because there's more than 1 suggestion in the thread with only the occasional good suggestion.

Something needs to be done, and this is what I think should be changed.

Accept some suggestions from compilation threads:
So, a while back I found out that if a user makes a "compilation" thread to post a clump of usually smaller suggestions in one thread, they all get denied immediately if even one small part of it will not get accepted. The reasoning behind this is apparently because if Cube was to only implement some suggestions and not others, there would be too much backlash. This reasoning is ridiculous. Sure, it's possible that some people could be unhappy with only one suggestion out of a selection being implemented but there will be more backlash for continuing to straight up deny to implement it based on such a petty reasoning. If people complain, give a reason on the thread for why the others weren't implemented. This allows for more transparency as well as helping people post better suggestions in the future, with no real negative. Actively ignoring the things that the community want is honestly far worse than making the low chance of making a couple of people somewhat unhappy.

Instantly lock and/or delete pointless suggestions:
Everyone knows the threads I'm taking about - ones complaining about the anticheat mostly. While they're now less common than they used to be, these threads are just tiring to see at this point. Most of the time currently they are left open to replies and end up with god knows how many people posting the exact same message about it, leading more people to view it and dragging attention away from the threads that actually deserve it. They might as well just be made for message and like farming as the only positive outcome for anyone is the people who reply with the same message as the 10 people before them and get a message as well as a bunch of likes from it. These threads should just be deleted or locked as soon as they're seen by a staff member. They're basically spam at this point.

Reminders about format and how to write a good suggestion:
While there are still plenty of suggestions, overall they definitely have declined in quality over time. There are plenty of good ideas out there, but they often aren't read as their titles are unclear or they just don't seem interesting enough and people just ignore them, which is a shame. This is something small, but I'd like to see a link to this thread in the thread post menu of the suggestion subforum, with a little bit of text somewhere reminding people to read the guide as it can benefit them as it's a really good guide for writing suggestion threads, and getting it out there more will help.

Staff should read all suggestions:
A lot of suggestions aren't bad, and could definitely be implemented in some way shape or form. The issue is, staff do not pay anywhere near enough attention to the suggestion subforum. Most suggestions never get a staff member reading them, leading to decent suggestions often getting ignored. Up until now, we've accepted the idea that there are too many suggestions and not enough staff for them all to even be read. This is not an excuse anymore. There are over 40 mods and sr mods now, and despite that they can't read at most 10 threads a day, usually far less? I can personally keep up with almost all the suggestions, at least reading at least 50%, if not most of them. There is not a chance that a team of over 40 people can't keep up with the current suggestion unless something is seriously wrong with them all. Whether it's laziness, poor leadership from the admin team, a horrible behind the scenes system or something else I have no clue, and I shouldn't speculate on why it's wrong but I can most certainly conclude that something is seriously wrong with the staff team for them not to be able to read this few suggestions a day with a team that large. All suggestions should have a reply explaining why they will or won't be implemented and if that's too much, they most certainly deserve to at least be read by a staff member at the very least.

Prioritise user suggestions more:
I know that a lot of people are going to accuse me of being biased and wanting my suggestions to be implemented just because I want them to be, but that is not what this is about. Search for all the implemented threads and you'll see what I'm taking about somewhat. There are around on average well over 100 suggestions a month, despite that on average less than 5 suggestions are implemented a month (usually exceptions after a new game is released). Far too few suggestions are implemented considering how many decent suggestions are made. (I know these examples are mine, so I might be slightly biased but the point still stands). A good example would be this thread, which I made a few months back. Despite it being on a time limit, quite easy to implement and something plenty of people would have enjoyed, it was put as a very low priority and they didn't bother to implement it before halloween passed, the reason given being that "it was not a priority". There are plenty of suggestions like this that get ignored and left for ridiculously long periods of time just because cube would rather focus on other things that the staff team and particularly the admin team personally think that cube needs, rather than what the community wants. It's good to have a mix of both, but as of current the community's voice is barely listened to in the suggestions subforum.

Escalated threads:
This is a historically controversial topic but the escalated thread system needs to be revamped and fixed. The current system supposedly works on the idea that if a moderator likes a suggestion, they escalate it and discuss it internally. This system does not work. Not only have I received information that there isn't even a proper behind the scenes system, but the whole escalation system lacks absolutely any transparency whatsoever and lots of the threads are just left and forgotten about after being escalated. Looking back, there are dozens of suggestions dating back over 3 years, nearly 4 years now that still are very viable suggestions that were escalated and have yet to receive any update. There are 3 parts to how I feel this should change to be better.

Escalated threads - Replies to threads and transparency:
As I said earlier, I feel like staff should be able to reply to all threads with a reason to implement/not implement them but I can understand that this much might be a small stretch. However, staff giving replies to all escalated threads explaining if they were denied after internal discussion and why with a chance for members to discuss and argue why the decisions made with a chance to be discussed internally again. If suggestions are decided after internal discussion to be viable, a reason is given for the decision and a timeline or priority is given. This will give far far far more transparency to cube which will make everyone happy, and is something that we as a community have been asking for for a long long time. I'm not asking for daily updates on every single escalated thread in existance, just updates and a general priority to be given when an escalated thread is done with internal discussion.

Escalated threads - Internal discussion and team:
I talked about internal discussion of escalated threads a lot a minute ago, but this is something I'd like to see change as well. As I said earlier, I've received information suggesting that there isn't even a proper formal system for escalated suggestions and everything is done informally. I'd like to see a team setup within the staff team, made up of a group of moderators, sr mods and potentially admin(s) whose role is to look at all the escalated suggestions and discuss/make decisions on them. I'm not 100% familiar with the internal system so I can't say exactly what I think should change, but something needs to urgently change with the way escalated suggestions are handled internally.

Escalated threads - Priority:
I discussed my thoughts on increasing the priority of all suggestions earlier in the thread, but escalated threads are different. I feel like escalated threads which are approved after internal discussion should be given far more priority than they currently have. These are suggestions that could work, the staff team thinks would be beneficial and most importantly - what the community wants. An example is this thread, which was decided to be implemented and is definitely something a lot of people want, but has been left for nearly 4 months with no update other than "it won't happen for a long while" because it's been set to such a low priority. This is something that affects people on a day to day basis and leads to a lot of issues with moderation on the discord, and despite this it has been set to a ridiculously low priority and been forgotten. This thread isn't alone. There are plenty of escalated threads that were never implemented due to being put at such a low priority.

Escalated threads - Previously escalated threads:
As I said earlier, there are loads of threads that were escalated in the past and have just left alone and ignored for a long time. I feel like it's time that cube went back and spent a while going through all the old escalated threads, gathering ideas for new updates and things to add to the network that the community actually wants - rather than what the admin team feels like what we want. Fairly straightforward.

Conclusion:
It might have seemed in this thread that this was just me being salty that my suggestions weren't implemented, but that's not what this suggestion is about. This is an issue that has been plaguing cubecraft for a long time, and many people have spoken out about it a lot of times before, but I thought I'd post a more formal, formatted reply adding lots of stuff together and adding my own two cents to it. It's something that I feel quite strongly about, and I know a lot of the community does too. There was a lot of noise about this a couple of years back I believe, but nothing much came out of that so it's about time we made some noise again, as it still is an issue that needs massive improvement.

xHappyMood

Forum Expert
Apr 10, 2020
The Land Of Pigs
I completely agree! Everything you’ve said is very true.

I’ve made 3 suggestions about the suggestion system a while ago:

But apparently staff didn’t agree that something was wrong with the suggestion system. I hope this thread will change something, and not get ignored/denied that it’s true.

Modulo

Dec 30, 2019
Suggestion threads are arguably the best way of giving feedback about the server, and I agree with this post that the system could and should be better. It seems reasonable that staff look at and give some feedback to all suggestion posts. Many suggestions that had a lot of though put into them get overlooked, and while they may not necessarily be worth implementing, they certainly deserve some amount of feedback. There are a significant amount of people who join the forums to make a suggestion post, and being left completely in the dark is not a good way to convince them that their voice can make a difference in the server.

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
i completely agree with this! i see only a couple of suggestions with feedback from staff, and most of it is made by other staff, but most is still left cold. i feel like if staff would actually listen to the detailed suggestions like this one, cubecraft would go back to what it used to be and earn a lot more respect coming from players. right now, as you mentioned, a lot of suggestions are being repeated or just complaining about anti cheat, a map people dont like.... but real suggestions are missing. not to forget the "add this gamemode." suggestions. just this one sentance without any extra information to convince us as players to like it, or staff to actually escalate it.
when it comes to staff reading all suggestions.. i get this is a hard thing to do, but staff can easily read small parts of a suggestion to see its worth actually reading and taking serious. when the title is "remove this map" i wouldnt take it serious at all personally, and feel like these arent worth getting feedback as they are 100% subjective.
+1 from me, hope staff actually takes their time to read this one :)

Reactions: xHappyMood

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
I completely agree! Everything you’ve said is very true.

I’ve made 3 suggestions about the suggestion system a while ago:

But apparently staff didn’t agree that something was wrong with the suggestion system. I hope this thread will change something, and not get ignored/denied that it’s true.
i've just read all of them and agree with you honestly, they all got instantly denied and a lot of people followed staff in it, but i wonder if they really did think about the suggestion. in stead of saying "things are fine the way they are now", they should rather try to understand why some people want to see things different. sure, this is a subjective thing like all suggestions, but its not really motivating if 99% gets denied. it really takes away the motivation to put time in a suggestion. the least staff could do is give actual feedback on a suggestion in stead of thinking its 'not needed' to say something. people here want to improve the server and their suggestions, and that cant be done without the feedback of others.

• Love

xHappyMood

Forum Expert
Apr 10, 2020
The Land Of Pigs
a lot of people followed staff in it
That is one of the most annoying parts of making a suggestion. When staff has replied a lot of people often go like "What did staff say then I'll repeat that" or something, which is very annoying as you don't get any opinions, just the same message over and over with a few different words.

Reactions: InkAsriel

InkAsriel

Sep 23, 2017
The Netherlands
That is one of the most annoying parts of making a suggestion. When staff has replied a lot of people often go like "What did staff say then I'll repeat that" or something, which is very annoying as you don't get any opinions, just the same message over and over with a few different words.
just like how everyone keeps saying "you can report a person here" but when staff says it, they get a million likes for some reason :P

• Love

Marieke2001

Forum Professional
Jul 2, 2015
So I completely agree with this suggestion. The system is outdated and does not work how it should. I asked permission to share this and Camezonda told me i’m allowed to share the following: We’re currently looking into changing how the bugs and suggestions system works. This after we came to the same conclusion, which is that this system no longer works (or even has never worked). Unfortunately I can’t go into details about this, nor give you a date we’re planning on releasing, but know that this has been in the works for some weeks now 😛

KitsuneToru

Jul 14, 2020
So while it's great to hear that something is being done to change the system, i'm still going to bump this thread as I want more people's feedback on how they feel the suggestion system should change as well as asking @Camezonda for any more information, as it would be nice to know what ideas cube had and what cube thinks about my suggestions for how it could be improved.

ReMD0G

Jul 1, 2020
That is probably true because I have seen it. While I was suggesting profile banners, @Eli did say that another person has suggested that too, but in 2018, I suggested it in the fastest year ever (2020). It’s added now after maybe a week or 2 after that post. So there might be an issue with the suggestion subforum. Also plz don’t necro-post on my forum, would cause a problem to staff :P

KitsuneToru

Jul 14, 2020
I'm going to bump this thread again since this is still a massive issue and there has been no information released about Cube's ideas and thoughts specific to this thread. While it was great to hear that cube is finally accepting that at least something is wrong with this subforum, I would love to hear the views from staff, @Camezonda especially on what they would like to change and what they think about the ideas I've proposed. Give us some transparency and tell us what's going on behind the scenes and what you think.

ItzEnd3r

Forum Expert
Aug 18, 2019
Boulder
www.cubecraft.net
Accept some suggestions from compilation threads:
So, a while back I found out that if a user makes a "compilation" thread to post a clump of usually smaller suggestions in one thread, they all get denied immediately if even one small part of it will not get accepted. The reasoning behind this is apparently because if Cube was to only implement some suggestions and not others, there would be too much backlash. This reasoning is ridiculous. Sure, it's possible that some people could be unhappy with only one suggestion out of a selection being implemented but there will be more backlash for continuing to straight up deny to implement it based on such a petty reasoning. If people complain, give a reason on the thread for why the others weren't implemented. This allows for more transparency as well as helping people post better suggestions in the future, with no real negative. Actively ignoring the things that the community want is honestly far worse than making the low chance of making a couple of people somewhat unhappy.
Ok I actually dont feel like this is 100% true, ill go back and look for it but i know for sure that some compilation threads have been partially implemented, they may not get the implemented tag tho but thats because not everything has been implemented, and there is a chance for more to come from that thread. the tag is basically saying that the suggestion has been added and it would discourage more action if it was implemented for only a small part of the thread.

Instantly lock and/or delete pointless suggestions:
Everyone knows the threads I'm taking about - ones complaining about the anticheat mostly. While they're now less common than they used to be, these threads are just tiring to see at this point. Most of the time currently they are left open to replies and end up with god knows how many people posting the exact same message about it, leading more people to view it and dragging attention away from the threads that actually deserve it. They might as well just be made for message and like farming as the only positive outcome for anyone is the people who reply with the same message as the 10 people before them and get a message as well as a bunch of likes from it. These threads should just be deleted or locked as soon as they're seen by a staff member. They're basically spam at this point.
Currently these are ignored but i 100% agree that we should lock these as they are pointless and just clutter the subforum.

Reminders about format and how to write a good suggestion:
While there are still plenty of suggestions, overall they definitely have declined in quality over time. There are plenty of good ideas out there, but they often aren't read as their titles are unclear or they just don't seem interesting enough and people just ignore them, which is a shame. This is something small, but I'd like to see a link to this thread in the thread post menu of the suggestion subforum, with a little bit of text somewhere reminding people to read the guide as it can benefit them as it's a really good guide for writing suggestion threads, and getting it out there more will help.
I agree with this completely as a lot of people dont realize that a lot more effort needs to go into suggestions to get attention as we dont have time to respond to every single thread. The higher effort ones usually get more attention and it would be nice for people to get a stronger reminder about some of the do's and dont's of suggestion thread making.

Staff should read all suggestions:
A lot of suggestions aren't bad, and could definitely be implemented in some way shape or form. The issue is, staff do not pay anywhere near enough attention to the suggestion subforum. Most suggestions never get a staff member reading them, leading to decent suggestions often getting ignored. Up until now, we've accepted the idea that there are too many suggestions and not enough staff for them all to even be read. This is not an excuse anymore. There are over 40 mods and sr mods now, and despite that they can't read at most 10 threads a day, usually far less? I can personally keep up with almost all the suggestions, at least reading at least 50%, if not most of them. There is not a chance that a team of over 40 people can't keep up with the current suggestion unless something is seriously wrong with them all. Whether it's laziness, poor leadership from the admin team, a horrible behind the scenes system or something else I have no clue, and I shouldn't speculate on why it's wrong but I can most certainly conclude that something is seriously wrong with the staff team for them not to be able to read this few suggestions a day with a team that large. All suggestions should have a reply explaining why they will or won't be implemented and if that's too much, they most certainly deserve to at least be read by a staff member at the very least.
There is a difference between reading and responding. i personally try to read as many suggestions in a day as possible, but will rarely respond to more then 1 or 2 becaue i dont have time to do that for every one.

Prioritise user suggestions more:
I know that a lot of people are going to accuse me of being biased and wanting my suggestions to be implemented just because I want them to be, but that is not what this is about. Search for all the implemented threads and you'll see what I'm taking about somewhat. There are around on average well over 100 suggestions a month, despite that on average less than 5 suggestions are implemented a month (usually exceptions after a new game is released). Far too few suggestions are implemented considering how many decent suggestions are made. (I know these examples are mine, so I might be slightly biased but the point still stands). A good example would be this thread, which I made a few months back. Despite it being on a time limit, quite easy to implement and something plenty of people would have enjoyed, it was put as a very low priority and they didn't bother to implement it before halloween passed, the reason given being that "it was not a priority". There are plenty of suggestions like this that get ignored and left for ridiculously long periods of time just because cube would rather focus on other things that the staff team and particularly the admin team personally think that cube needs, rather than what the community wants. It's good to have a mix of both, but as of current the community's voice is barely listened to in the suggestions subforum.
I would also like to see this, but we may have a lot of mods, but we only have 19 devs, most of which dont do work in game development, so another big block for this is how much time the devs have. we cant expect them to just work on suggestions because they need to keep the server running.

Escalated threads:
This is a historically controversial topic but the escalated thread system needs to be revamped and fixed. The current system supposedly works on the idea that if a moderator likes a suggestion, they escalate it and discuss it internally. This system does not work. Not only have I received information that there isn't even a proper behind the scenes system, but the whole escalation system lacks absolutely any transparency whatsoever and lots of the threads are just left and forgotten about after being escalated. Looking back, there are dozens of suggestions dating back over 3 years, nearly 4 years now that still are very viable suggestions that were escalated and have yet to receive any update. There are 3 parts to how I feel this should change to be better.
Yes, the escalation system needs work, but as i said above they might be good suggestions but could just not be viable.

Escalated threads - Internal discussion and team:
I talked about internal discussion of escalated threads a lot a minute ago, but this is something I'd like to see change as well. As I said earlier, I've received information suggesting that there isn't even a proper formal system for escalated suggestions and everything is done informally. I'd like to see a team setup within the staff team, made up of a group of moderators, sr mods and potentially admin(s) whose role is to look at all the escalated suggestions and discuss/make decisions on them. I'm not 100% familiar with the internal system so I can't say exactly what I think should change, but something needs to urgently change with the way escalated suggestions are handled internally.
Alright, im gonna say as much as i can about this, but pretty much there is a system, and its not bad, but as cubecraft is a company it will keep stuff like future updates secret. cant say much more but you shouldnt expect things like progress on development or implementation of suggestions to be common knowledge.

Escalated threads - Priority:
I discussed my thoughts on increasing the priority of all suggestions earlier in the thread, but escalated threads are different. I feel like escalated threads which are approved after internal discussion should be given far more priority than they currently have. These are suggestions that could work, the staff team thinks would be beneficial and most importantly - what the community wants. An example is this thread, which was decided to be implemented and is definitely something a lot of people want, but has been left for nearly 4 months with no update other than "it won't happen for a long while" because it's been set to such a low priority. This is something that affects people on a day to day basis and leads to a lot of issues with moderation on the discord, and despite this it has been set to a ridiculously low priority and been forgotten. This thread isn't alone. There are plenty of escalated threads that were never implemented due to being put at such a low priority.
Once again i would love to see more priority given to suggestions, and something like your example which is not much effort would be great to see changed. so yeah, i want to see more effort put into at least the easy suggestions.

Escalated threads - Previously escalated threads:
As I said earlier, there are loads of threads that were escalated in the past and have just left alone and ignored for a long time. I feel like it's time that cube went back and spent a while going through all the old escalated threads, gathering ideas for new updates and things to add to the network that the community actually wants - rather than what the admin team feels like what we want. Fairly straightforward.
This would actually be really nice and i would love to see it. I hope they decide to do something like this.

So yeah, this is my response i guess, overall i agree with the thread and think that some changes should be made.

Reactions: Naitzirch
Members Online

Team online

Latest profile posts

we want cubecraft 2023 :(
This is YOUR daily dose of facts #40-
Walt Disney currently holds the most Academy Awards. Till now, Disney won 26 Oscars. Disney is nominated a grand total of 59 times!
Eli wrote on Xi1m's profile.
Thanks for the follow!!!
Eli
"What say you?" said he, the abyss did not respond back.
Top Bottom