Not open for further replies.

Matriox

Forum Expert
Jun 15, 2020
Ireland
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey, 1 thing i loved about the old lobby was flying up high into the ocean and looking at the really great lobby, yet now there's barrier blocks everywhere so i can't even see the lobby

I would like for the barrier blocks to be removed for people to explore easier and take screenshots etc.

Please remove. if you agree vote :agree: below.

Story

Forum Professional
Jan 30, 2014
Glasgow
letterboxd.com
We put barriers up to cement the illusion of a larger land, many games do this otherwise players would be able to see the horizon and the void of the game world, it breaks the immersion.

1636414125355.png

This map here which is Rust from Call of Duty has sand hills outside of the border to cover the horizon, they stop you from going onto it so that your brain thinks the map goes on for longer. We used barriers to create the same illusion.

It was a design decision but if there truly is enough support for barrier removal we will do so, just wanted to explain our thought process.

cristian2259

Jan 15, 2018
Costa Rica
We put barriers up to cement the illusion of a larger land, many games do this otherwise players would be able to see the horizon and the void of the game world, it breaks the immersion.

View attachment 202966

This map here which is Rust from Call of Duty has sand hills outside of the border to cover the horizon, they stop you from going onto it so that your brain thinks the map goes on for longer. We used barriers to create the same illusion.

It was a design decision but if there truly is enough support for barrier removal we will do so, just wanted to explain our thought process.
Instead of leaving the barriers so close, they can be expanded a bit (Let players explore more, get on top of all builds, explore and play on the beach, small part of the mountains etc), and if the player goes so far, then make a invisible barrier with code that tp you back to spawn (thats how it worked in the old lobby), so players can explore more and don't feel like we are on a massive cage, but at the same time dont see the limit/void so it won't break the illusion. Its a win/win

(Here is an example where barriers aren't necesary, and the beach could be decorated a bit more and make it explorable)

Zalie

Jan 20, 2021
The lobby is great, but I agree that the barriers actually detract from the play, as they’re everywhere. So you’re constantly running into invisible barriers when it doesn’t seem necessary as there is still more to explore. Personally I’d much rather have the ability to explore to the very edge of the world, rather than see stuff I can’t get near.

Zalie

Jan 20, 2021
I've found a ladder leading down to a tunnel (I assume) in the basement of the building next to the hot air balloon. I'd explore further, but there’s an invisible barrier preventing anyone from doing so! Why are we prevented from exploring, when there is obviously stuff right there to explore??

Reactions: Silco and Matriox
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Members online

Latest profile posts

TheOrderOfSapphire wrote on llvqs's profile.
Thank you for the follow! Also have a good redt of your day/night today!:D
I just logged on and just saw all these messages, sorry for not seeing them earlier, Tysm guys!
Screenshot 2024-04-27 012708.png

what-? I won 1st place but then got 2nd place...?
GiGaGekkies wrote on tanjaroea677's profile.
Happy Birthday
Playing SkyBlock with my boyfriend almost feels like therapy. Just chilling around and finishing quests :))))
Top Bottom