1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WorldPainter] The Best Terraforming Tool

Discussion in 'Creative' started by ExtendedHorizons, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ExtendedHorizons

ExtendedHorizons Member

Drawing 24/7
    Home Page:
    WorldPainter:
    For those of you who don't know what world painter is, It is a software compatible with Mac, Windows, and Lunix. It is the Terraforming tool of the future. It allows you to make terrain to your preference and customize it however you want. It is also very simple to use once you learn the basics.

Download:
    To get this software go here: http://www.worldpainter.net/

Tutorial:
    This tutorial will cover the very basics of making your own custom terrain. I hope by the end of this you will know how to make your own maps using your own skills.

Part 1 | Creating Maps:

After you have downloaded the software, launch it up. You should see a screen like this:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.21.14 PM.png

Next click "File - New World" Name the world however you like. As you can see there are dimensions under the name. Those decide how large your map is. It also states that sizes must be a multiple of 128 (For the sake of this tutorial i'm going to be demonstrating with 256x256). After selecting your size if you want a circular world check it. Want to keep it square? Then don't touch anything. Under that you see the height. I suggest not changing this as this will conflict with minecraft unless you have mods installed that make the world height bigger.
    Under that you should see "Hilly" For this tutorial please click the "Flat" option, for this will make it easier to customize the terrain. Next set the level to "30" and the water level to "30" after wards. Next you want to un-click beaches so that you don't have splotches of sand covering the world. Set the type to oceans so if you delete the terrain it will automatically make lakes.
    In the end it should look something like this:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.30.39 PM.png

Part 2 | Building Your Terrain:

Now that we have our world we want to add the terrain. To do so you will see the "Tools" section. such as here:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-02 at 4.31.55 PM.png
    Here are what they do by there numbers:
    Pyramid Brush 1: 45 Degree steep pyramid in a shape of a square.
    Pyramid Brush 2: Raises a square pyramid out of the ground in a square with no particular angle.
    Water Brush 3: This one lets you fill areas with water which we will get into later.
    Lava Brush 4: This one does the same as #3 but with lava.
    Lift/Erode Brush 5: This is one of the main tools as it is the tool to lift and erode terrain.
    Flatten Brush 6: This one flattens areas. Pretty basic.
    Smooth Brush 7: this one is very nice for creating smooth terrain. Although It may not look natural. It can help with some build themes.
    Basic Mountain Brush 8: This is the mountain brush, however I don't recommend using this because it makes the most unrealistic mountains ever.
    Spawn Point Brush 9: Select that brush then right click on the map where you want your spawn to be.
    Sponge Brush 10: If you have un-needed water/lava then this is the brush for you.
    Global Operations 11: This one will let you edit the surface materials, such as changing dirt and grass to diamond blocks.

Layers:
    For the sake of this tutorial don't use any of them except the "Resources" if you want resources on your map.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Intensity:

Intensity is well.. The name says it. Raising that (up to 100%) will change the effect of your brush. The higher the intensity the more intense (steeper, noticeable, less natural depending on your opinion) mountains/terrain.
    Size of brushes:
    To change the size of your brushes scroll with your middle mouse key.

Custom Brushes: These are really the things that make world painter an awesome tool. They are in many shapes and sizes and make the best custom terrain possible. There are also a wide range of these.

Custom Brushes: You can get these from many minecraft sites such as here: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/six-epic-world-painter-custom-brushes/
    Those are 6 really good ones to make awesome mountains.

Installing Custom Brushes: Click the "Tools" then "Open custom brushes folder", After downloading the brushes above, add them to that folder.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In order for these to take effect restart the world painter software. (don't forget to save your world)

Now you are ready to make your terrain! Select a brush and click the "Lift and Erode Brush"
    After doing so select your custom brush. Now if you haven't already take a look at the important note about intensity above. After selecting your intensity start left clicking on your world to make your terrain (also take note of the size of brushes above)! Also if you want to remove blocks right click.

Part 3 | Adding Custom Terrain/ Objects:
    After making your terrain you might want to add a few layers of cliff or beach. Thats what i'm going to be teaching you now

Making the Custom Terrain:

Making the "Cliff Terrain":
    Alright now click the question mark in the "Custom Terrain" box in the lower left corner. First we will be adding cliffs. So change the name of "Dirt" to "Cliffs".
    After doing so you can see that there is a "Noise" And
    "Blobs" choice. Blobs explains it self, when you will paint that layer it will paint it in blobs. Noise is where it is stat-icy. For the sake of this tutorial we will be using that. Now add 2 More materials with the "Add Material" button. Change the block types to, Cobble, Mossy Cobble, and Gravel. Next you will see the "Occurrence". This decides that when you use the brush how much each block will show up. Change Gravel to 500. To do so click on the "334", or "333" and change it to 500 then hit enter for it to save.

Using the "Cliff Terrain":
    After doing that select the custom terrain box and your brush. Then select the intensity (I suggest 43%). Next do "At Or Above" Change that to 55-65. That will make it so that it only spawns on those levels and above. Then paint away! Only go over the land once or else it will make more and more spawn because the brush continues if you right click it and the blocks even with the low intensity will add up.

Making the "Beach Terrain":
    Now do the same thing that you did to make the cliff brush. Click on another question mark, rename it to beach. This time we're going to use "Blobs" instead of "Noise" I think it adds a nice effect to beaches. Then add 2 blocks: Gravel and Sand. Select the occurrence (650 Sand, 350 Gravel for instance).

Using the "Beach Terrain":
    To use it unselect the "At or above" option. Then select the "At or below" option. Change the number to 29. Keep in mind this only works if you made lakes (make them by right clicking the ground to make it go deeper into the ocean".

Custom Trees:
    http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/native-trees-of-europe-template-repository-1779952/ Is a great link for custom trees. Download the world then wait.
    If you want to see some of the custom trees upload the world into your minecraft "saves" folder. There are a lot of types in a grid. If you find one you like look at the sign in-front of it and write it down.

Adding The Trees Into World Painter:
    Click the "+" button below the "Annotations" in the layers box. Then options should show up click "Add a custom object layer". Then to add the trees click the lego brick with the green + on it. Locate the B02 folder in your Custom Tree Repository download. Click it and select your type of trees, (African, European, North American, and South American trees). Then select the B02 File you want for your tree.

Adding The Trees Into Your World:
    select the custom layer and your brush. I suggest using the 4th/7th default brush. I suggest using 8 Intensity for not to many trees. If you were to do 100 you would have trees on every block.

Part 4 | Exporting Your World:
    You're almost done! Now just click the "File-Export-Export As a New Minecraft Map".

Settings:
    Unselect "Include Chest of Goodies" box and if you don't want structures such as dungeons, unselect the "Structures" box. Then click the "Resources" tab, Unselect the "Resources Everywhere" Box unless you want floating ore outside of your map.
    Final Export:
    Simply press the export button and wait!
    Adding it to your minecraft world:
    Add the world to your minecraft saves, launch up the game, and enter your world.

Part 5 | Finished!:
    Now you're finished! Go grab some lemonade and enjoy your custom minecraft world!

2. SevereWarning

SevereWarning Member

not much
    I read all this and I still like handbuilt terraforming. :) Nice info though :p

Trickmaster likes this.
  3. Yittamonkey

Yittamonkey Member

Yass love this program mostly because I suck at building

4. NanoNet

NanoNet Member

Very interesting :p I'll try it out sometime

5. iMatthew

iMatthew Member

It's amazing how I still see building with hand is somewhat better than a type of tool. :p But I dont mind trying this tool in particular.

Trickmaster likes this.
  6. johnyestaloca

johnyestaloca Member

terra forming made with hands is still better in my opinion, but as Severe said, nice info. ;)

7. Colourlight

Colourlight Member

Stalkers these days *shakes head*
    Home Page:
    Nice, but wouldn't this be cool pinned in the 'Minecraft Creations' forum? :3. But great tutorial :)

8. SamueLogic

SamueLogic Member

Student
    I'll download it, just to see how it works :p

9. NanoNet

NanoNet Member

This never got pinned, and he really wanted it to be xDDD

10. ExtendedHorizons

ExtendedHorizons Member

Drawing 24/7
    Home Page:
    No xD I just wanted people to see it not for it to be pinned :3