1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate Faction Guide!

Discussion in 'Factions - Survival' started by Mixeduplegos, Aug 30, 2014.

?

Are you a raider or a peacekeeper?

1. Raider

38.0%
  2. Peacekeeper

62.0%
  1. Mixeduplegos

Mixeduplegos Member

Twerkin'
    Here's a question, do you consider yourself a raider or a peacekeeper in factions? Well you might soon find out!

As promised I bring you a complete breakdown of the main aspects of factions and how everything works, or should. Factions is a survival pve, pvp gametype which allowss players to form clans which can later enemy or ally other clans, the point of the game is subjective, you might like to raid or simply play defensive, it all depends. Disclaimer: even though it's a begginer´s guide, I wont talk about commands except for /f claim since theres a help room in the server. There will soon be a gallery with some important pictures about factions.

For all of you lazy readers, I have made a summary of the main points at the bottom of the thread, but be a dear and read everything will you?

Guide
    1. Bases
    2. Setting up
    3. Precautions
    4. Raiding and defending
    5. Claiming land
    6. Allies and enemies
    7.Summary

1. Bases.

There are three main types of bases with some variations.We´ll first adress the location of a base, a base can be laying out on the open, underground, the sea, the sky and the nether. Laying out a base in the open is always a bad idea, it will guarantee a raid at any time, no matter how far away you are from spawn, never make one of these, even if its obsidian. Water bases, sky bases and underground bases are all acceptable, the sky base is difficult to detect even by x-rayers and gives you time to prepare for attacks, water bases already have the water protection, further ensuring your safety, also the water slows the enemy down, and the undergound bases, if at bedrock, are a pain for the enemy to get to, any of these three is fine.

Stone
    [​IMG]

Wood
    [​IMG]

Obsidian
    [​IMG]

The first one being the stone base, any kind of stone used, the second one, the wooden bases or which hide along the trees and finally the obsidian bases. Stone bases are pretty useful for temporary bases, much more if they´re cobble, a stone base can be anywhere, is a great place to hangout until you reach that obsidian base. Then there are wooden bases, these are horrible and you should never get near them, theyre basically shouting "greif me", not everyone has tnt but a lot of people have flint and steel, make a wooden base and it will get burned to the ground.

[​IMG]

Seriously... dont make one, even if its underground (that would also be highly umpractical). You can also cover your base with water, this makes it more difficult to tnt since they now need a hybrid cannon. Lava, is useless, dont bother as the effort to cover your base completely takes too much time for such little awards, lava can simply be avoided with a fire resistance potion and tnt goes right through it, it`s only good to obstruct view. Obsidian is your ultimate goal, once you reach obsidian, defence is no longer a priority and you can either become a peaceful faction or kill to your hearts content. Obsidian, can´t be blown by tnt, making it ideal. On the other hand, make sure you make your base is glitch-proof, dont build all the way to the top if you're gonna make a skybase and leave a space between the ground and the obsidian so they cant clip from under.

2. Setting up.

Now, on most servers you'll probably want to simply get a run for it when you start, this, because there's a lot of people camping in spawn, not the case in the moment but probably in the future, it's even better to have a buddy backing you up, you also might want to create a faction at this point ( If someone follows you and attacks you, you can claim and kill him since he wont be able to hurt you as you can only hurt people on their faction land if they're enemies). Then, you want to find wood, and get as much as possible, like 4 stacks, not planks, WOOD. Finally, when you're far enough from spawn, start mining, make a temporary base at the mine, and mine lots, really as much as you can. We do this because if we set up a base early, it will probably be raided and thats too much hard work gone to hell, also by mining so much (you want to continue doing this until you can make your obsidian base) you aquire a decent amount of iron to defend yourself with, whilst looking for diamonds. It also allows you to sell the rest of your ores for lots of money ( gold,redstone,lapiz... ) which you can then use for buying obsidian, having a temporary base is also useful because you'll be able to relocate easily.

This, in my opinion, is the best and most efficient way of playing, if done right you can get obsidian in 3-4 days, there are several other things you can do, but this is my favourite. Only took me 3 days to get obsidian in this server. You can also farm and even do a short mining session followed by raiding, but these will get you nowhere (farming is pretty good though). If you wanna do your own thing go ahead, but the safety of obsidian walls is very satisfying. Under any circumstamces, as said before, ever make a base on land, even if temporary, I see people do this all the time and they keep failing, worst part, they never learn... I mean, sure, your castle is very nice but will it stop tnt? Final point, at the start, never take time to organize your base or make it pretty, it will just make you more depressed if you do get greifed, if you lose a shitty undeground ravine base, then the loss isnt so big, but imagine seeing your beatiful town or mansion being blown up.

3. Precautions.

When making a base and claiming, there are several things you might want to watch out for. This is a very important one, when you have an obsidian base underground, you have to make sure it is not touching the bottom, you have to leave a space or make a double layer like so.
    [​IMG]

We want to do this in order to not let glitchers pass through, they can easily faze through bases like this, also dont let this happen at the top of the sky world either, always build, two blocks lower than the sky limit. Another side note, when making a base always make a roof, these are essential, all it takes is one ender pearl to go through.
    [​IMG]

Then there´s claiming and letting your wall sit right at the end of the claim. So if your wall is placed at the edge of your claim. Never do this unless you have obsidian, if done, the enemy will only need one tnt to get through, since they can place blocks right next to the wall.

[​IMG]

If you didnt put a roof they can also do this.
    [​IMG]

Others things to note are:

Try using secret chests.
    [​IMG]

Don't put your nether portal inside your base, goes without saying.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Do not connect your base to your mineshaft, which is unclaimed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Concerning redstone.
    [​IMG]

4. Claiming land.

Claiming isn´t as complicated as it seems, it's a simple system which consists of 3 values, claimed land by a faction, power of the faction and possible max power of a fac (this last one should be ignored). So if someone has claimed 4 chunks of 16x16 (that's a claim), and they have 4 members, all max power then it should look like this 4/40/40, if they only had 20 power, then like this 4/20/40, it varies. Here you can see some images of how power works. The red line which represents power is bigger than the blue line, which represents land claimed, because of this you're theoretically, safe.
    [​IMG]

If this is not the case, and your land claimed is higher than your overall power then people can claim over you, so if the red line is smaller than the blue line, you can get claimed over, getting claimed over means you lose your faction home, your base and your stuff, since they now have access to everything. If you ever log on, and see people in your base, dont attack, safely view the situation, check their numbers and strength, and then attack if you see it possible. If you just attack widly, they can spam kill you in your faction home, ti'll they can claim over you. A reason why you should have a saferoom for your faction home. Claiming can be used strategically, as an attack or defense, know when to use it, also try not to die as some factions may be stalking you, waiting for your power level to go down, so they can raid you. Only recruit people you think wont die, someones max power is 10, but their minimum is -10, a bad crew member can make your faction have -20 power. Take that in mind, also try not to claim too much, usually 4-6 claims is enough, no matter how big your faction is. I personally only use 2 claims, 32x32 chunk.

As seen, the power here is smaller than the land claimed so people can now claim over you...
    [​IMG]

5. Raiding and Defending.

Raiding and defending is fairly simple so i wont cover much, when raiding a base, you want to find the most efficient way to go in, if it doesnt have a roof, use ender pearls, if the wall is right at the edge of a claim, use tnt, hell if they're stupid enough to accept a tpa, send them a tpa request and set home. Now some bases are, in fact unraidable, any obsidian base, will not be able to be raided, you can glitch into them but that's not allowed. Also through my personal experience try raiding bases which dont have people in them at the moment, or just one. Now if the base is pretty well defended, you might have to whop out your tnt cannon, they're infinite designs, here is the most simple one, where you time the levers manually to shoot, the more tnt it uses as power, the further it goes, in this design, maximum capacity is six.
    [​IMG]

Now, if they have a water base, you're going to need a hell of a lot of more tnt, as hybrid cannons need plenty of ammo, I wont show you how to make one, as I have in knowledge an extremely efficient desgin which only need 3 tnt and it took me a long time to find this, sadly, this information is very good for me, so i suggest you find one yourself, you have a search bar up there so use it. You might be able to find the most efficient tnt cannons with enough digging, you can even make your own improved versions, just play around in creative.
    Hmmm... I wonder where this will take me...

Finally here`s an extra tip, if someone pvp logs which means they log off whilst pvping to avoid losing, simply make a hole where you think they last where, and when they log back on, go check the hole to retrieve all his stuff. This way you can do whatever you want whilst waiting for him to log back on, they will usually log on and off frequently at first, so dont start digging until they've logged off a couple times. Another tip, you can always betray your friends, but to me, this is kind of a stupid move.

Like so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defending doesn´t have much to cover, if you listened to me and made a skybase, all you need is a bow and arrow, if you made an underground base or water base, you will probably need to defend youself sword vs sword. You can place some traps, remember, use claiming to your advantage, lava is your best friend. If they're too good, have a member go to spawn and make a new temporary base, whilst you hold them off, he should be tp'ing back and forth getting all the items. Escaping is as good as of a strategy as fighting back, what you dont want to do, is ignore them, thinking they wont get you, because they probably will. If you do manage to fight them off, they'll be back soon, so relocating base is almost mandatory. Obsidian bases need no defense, dont be tempted to go out, if they have god armor and you dont they can kill you enough to claim over your obsidian, don't let temptation get the better of you. Finally the more members you have the better.

6. Allies and enemies.

Not much to cover here either. Remember to make enemies when attacking factions or you wont be able to hurt them in their territory, use this to your advantage. If you set someone as an enemy, you can toggle this off and on if they haven't set the relation back, try to set enemies before they do, so they wont remember to do it later, when they're at your base toggle it off, and kill them. Same goes for people who try to tp and kill you, set a claim in a locked part of your faction, make sure they don't enemy you back and kill them when they appear (they wont be able to hurt you).

Allies should be dealt with very carefully, at any moment your best friend could turn around and place a lava bucket, a simple solution is to not trust anyone, but having powerful allies is good and makes the experience more fun overall. If you are going to betray someone or ally them just to take their stuff, make sure to be patient, time builds trust and waiting for the best moment is crucial to conquering allied factions, again, dont let temptation get the better of you. If you're on the other side, watch out too. Someone who allied you recently for no specific reason, is potentially dangerous, also watch out for them holding lava buckets or constantly pointing their sword at you. If they ever do anything suspicious, dont hesitate, eliminate them. This all goes for members in your faction too.

7.Summary

GET AN OBSDIAN BASE ASAP!!!

Thank you for reading, there`s a secret easter egg in the pictures, let's see if you can find it...
    I will gladly awnser any questions.

-Signed, Mixeduplegos.

2. SubSub

SubSub Member

Playing minecraft.
    ¢̨̧̓̉ͬ͊̏ͨͩ͡҉̘̲͕̹̳͇̳̰̗͙͙͖̱̟̙̞ͅ ̧ͫ̅ͯ̈́͂̍̍ͣͨ͛ͦ̾
    Cool :) Nice begginers guide

3. kkbubble

kkbubble Member

IM STALKING ORANGEGRAPEEATER
    this is great very simple. its really well done, it explains all the basics of factions whiteout getting in to the inner factions politics which really just takes playtime to get XD i think a lot of new players will be better off after reading this, the first time i went on factions my base was made of wood, above ground, and had a nether portal in it c;

4. Snap

Snap Mod Staff Member Moderator

Love it!

5. TheAdventurerMM

TheAdventurerMM Member

I like this guide, good job.

6. AquaaXx

AquaaXx Member

I Like it, Thx for taking your time to put this together. Must have taken you ages.

7. MorganDoezn'tPlayMc

MorganDoezn'tPlayMc Member

Aunty of dragons
    Its so long >.<

Good job.

Mixeduplegos likes this.
  8. AquaaXx

AquaaXx Member

Sorry but I had to say this but... Thats what she said.

9. SGTkuzey

SGTkuzey Member

It's a decent guide.

10. kkbubble

kkbubble Member

IM STALKING ORANGEGRAPEEATER
    easiest wall of text boss ever!

11. YounB

YounB Helper Staff Member Helper

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    @Efcluke94 maybe tag this atthe top? This is a good guide IMO xX

12. SubSub

SubSub Member

Playing minecraft.
    ¢̨̧̓̉ͬ͊̏ͨͩ͡҉̘̲͕̹̳͇̳̰̗͙͙͖̱̟̙̞ͅ ̧ͫ̅ͯ̈́͂̍̍ͣͨ͛ͦ̾
    I think its cool that 50% are peace keepers and 50% arent xD

13. Snap

Ah, i remember this guide. Yeah i agree, this should be stickied. Very good guide.

14. Snap

I'll fix that.

15. tiger101tiger

tiger101tiger Member

Random stuff
    Just a question: would a wood base with water covering it be good?

16. SGTkuzey

SGTkuzey Member

Kinda... Anyways, pinning it so people new to facs will have a good guide to start out with

YounB likes this.
  17. yeesam17

yeesam17 Member

No...
    1. it will attract attention.
    2. just because water is covering it doesn't mean that it will stop people who want to go inside and check it out.
    3. far more experienced players will simply take buckets, remove the water, and light the place up like a Christmas tree.
    4. anyone can just go inside and make holes in the ceiling causing water to leak into your base.

Do what ever you like but I would highly advise building an underground or possibly an underwater base.

18. YounB

YounB Helper Staff Member Helper

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    In what way? Normally obsidian bases attract attention due to it showing off wealth.
    Far far far more experience player will understand that the plugin disallows players editing claimed terrain, hence sand-TnT cannons and normal TnT cannons.
    @Pickles_pussycat teh submarine ;-;

19. Anime_Pickles

Anime_Pickles Member

To Be Annoyin
    I cri evrytiem ;-;

YounB and Snap like this.
  20. Masouri

Masouri Member

DONT DIE!