1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trickmaster237's Advanced Building Tips/Guide

Discussion in 'Creative' started by Trickmaster, Dec 31, 2014.

?

Was this helpful?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Somewhat

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Trickmaster

Trickmaster Member

So, I am going to make this guide with a succession of posts due to the word count limit. There is going to be multiple sections added over time, and *warning* I may not completely finish it. However, I will do as long as I can until my interest runs out, and hopefully this is helpful to the more advanced, or even all builders out there.
    ============================================================================
    To help summarize the guide, I've made a list of 11 points that help make a good build/builder. The ones with a * are the most important, I believe. (more stars = more important)

Trickmaster237's Guide to Building
    Getting Ready
    1. Planning/Using References
    2. Idea Brainstorming

The Actual Build
    3. Terraforming *
    4. Experimentation

Making it Better
    4. Breaking Up Plain Surfaces *
    --> A) with Terraforming (Shape)

--> B) with Stairs, Slabs, and other Blocks
    --> C) with Block Variety

5. Detail, Detail, Detail *
    --> A) Wall Decoration Blocks

6. Block Choice/Variety *
    --> A) Theme Choice (aka Color Coordination)

7. Concept of Space *
    --> A) Filling it In

--> B) Contrast: When to Fill In and When to Leave It
    --> C) Depth

8. Connecting Blocks/Balance/Support *
    9. The "Wow" Factor **
    10. Interior Design

Extras
    11. Presentation of Finished Build

Conclusion+Frequently Used Patterns

Yittamonkey, Iselciour and YounB like this.
  2. Trickmaster

Trickmaster Member

Planning/Using References
    Unless you are an abstract builder, many of us cannot simply create a beautiful structure on the spot. Like in drawing, many times we try to copy and imitate from real life. So, we use these pictures called references, which are images that you can go back and check back on, kind of like a checkpoint to see if we are building it correctly.

Personally, I simply go onto Google Images and type in a keyword to get me started. However, never use Minecraft builds as references. Finding Minecraft builds of your subject is 100% okay, if you don't copy it exactly. I do myself, search Minecraft builds, but I only do it to gain ideas from other people. Usually when I try a new building style, I have no idea how to start. So, I search it and see what other people have done, the way they place stairs, what types of blocks they use, etc.

Once you get your reference image, go into a Creative plot world, and try to copy it. This will take a lot of time, but eventually you will be able to do it. On the first try, never try to get all the details. Always try to get the basic shape of the house/build, without any "detail" blocks, just whole full blocks. Then slowly add the roof, if it doesn't look right, just destroy it and try again. Try to get the basic shape.

Again, this guide is meant for players that are already advanced builders, not ones already starting. If you would like an easier beginner guide, Google it, and it will most likely come up with multiple results ;)

Iselciour and YounB like this.
  3. Trickmaster

Trickmaster Member

Idea Brainstorming
    The idea is one of the most influential parts of the build. If you have a weak, boring idea, you're going to have a weak, boring build.

Your idea has to be big. You have to dream big to get big. It needs a wow factor that will come into play later, and to have enough room for multiple builds to sprout from it. Take inspiration from your everyday life, what's going around in the community around you, or, simply, taking the requirements of what the build needs.

Here's an example of big ideas coming from smaller ones; first, let's say you had an idea to make an airplane. *cue building Minecraft airplane made of iron blocks* Okay, there's your small idea, except there's not much you can do with that, just build one vehicle. So, you need to expand, and think of ideas that relate to it. Now, for the airplane, create an airport nearby, create storm clouds with lightning striking down, make the airplane crashing down, with holes and debris clipping the edges, create the plane crashed into a village that has been utterly destroyed, with fire and ground upturned everywhere. See, go crazy and think of the most dramatic ideas in existence. Even if you can't build all of it, you should always try, and you can always go another route. But, it will never be great, unless you struggle.

Oceanical, Iselciour and YounB like this.
  4. Trickmaster

Trickmaster Member

Terraforming
    Oh boy, this is the long one that everyone hates. It seems difficult, and hard work, and requiring skill, but nope. As a firsthand account of a person (me) who never thought they could build, I can say to you, the thing about terraforming, is that everyone can do it, because it only involves one key thing.

Time. (no, not I cri every tim)

In order to terraform, you don't need to be extremely concise and specific. You just need to spam blocks, not place carefully. This is where the references come into play. Use those references you had from earlier. Look at the size of your plot/area you can work with. First, imagine how it will look (may seem cliche but it works) and envision where you will put things, like how you decorate your room for the first time. I personally create a one block contour line around the entire plot, just to see how much room I will have, and how much I can fit in. 2014-12-31_11.16.02.png
    Just like that^^

Then, you terraform. Again, most people reading this should be advanced builders, so I won't go into specifics. But, a few general tips and guidelines.
    1) Use references.
    Try to copy it from the image. (real life, NOT Minecraft) Don't feel bad about copying it, chances are you aren't going to get it to look exactly the same. However, you aren't copying someone else's work from Minecraft, you are taking something from life and trying to make it. See, the artists who draw fruit in bowls don't get punished, do they?

2) Never go symmetrical.
    This is probably the most important rule. See, perfection is boring, and we don't want that. You never want a straight wall, or be able to make a line of symmetry down a side of your mountain you built. The more "off" and crooked your build is, the more interesting it will be.
    3) Experiment and try new things.
    Pick a soaring cliff side and try to build it. You'll probably fail the first time; that's fine. Thing is, later on after you've gained experience you can come back and make it again, only this time, it will look great. Remember, you don't always have to copy from the picture. I recommend it, as it keeps your build from looking too funky, but sometimes you get the best builds when you go off the track, you know? I've certainly done it before, as some of my best builds are the ones where I tried something new. yolo building (some of my soaring cliffs and mountains)
    4) Realize your terraforming will never be exact.
    You will never be able to get it exactly like the reference you got, but you can get it so it bears a similarity. Be content if it happens, as it makes it YOUR build, not someone else's. Think of it, not as copying, but as trying to get it to resemble your reference picture.
    5) This takes practice and time.
    You won't get it first time. No one does. Just keep trying, get feedback, learn from other better builders, and just keep swimming <3

Iselciour likes this.
  5. Trickmaster

Trickmaster Member

Experimentation
    This is kind of a general tip that you need to do. Experimentation, pretty much explains itself. This is the best way to create a great build. (I'll create a ranking post at the end of this, I've probably said "this is the best most important thing" like 20 times) In order to get something great, try something new. I cannot stress this enough, experiment. That's how Isaac Newton discovered gravity, he let apples fall on his head (although I don't think he was trying to let those apples fall)

Think of an idea. Place blocks, step back, and examine. If it looks good, keep it. I've been surprised more times than I've remembered. If it's not (which will happen 95% of the time) destroy it, and don't ditch the idea, adapt it.

How good of a builder you will be is determined by how willing you are to experiment.

Efcluke94 likes this.
  6. eshuren1

eshuren1 Member

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I just but pretty blocks together :333 but okie

6Godly likes this.
  7. Trickmaster

Trickmaster Member

(just realized I put Step 4 twice in my original post, oops)
    Breaking Up Plain Surfaces
    This is where we actually get into the physical building part. So, to make your build look interesting, it can't have any plain surfaces showing. The more plain (as in flat) and similar one part is, the more boring. So, if you have a huge wall of one block...ugh *shivers in fright* Here, I will show you why/how you break up the surfaces, and where they are.

Method A - Terraforming
    This method is best for covering up the ground flat spots that are often left over. If you see a flat spot, make sure to terraform it into something less flat. The more flat it is (even if it's still there) the more boring. I would simply just bring the terraforming higher, so it's steeper and has a great gradient. Here's some pictures to show a "Before and After."

Before: (with a terraformed area, flat) Less interesting 2014-12-31_11.45.54.png

After: (higher terraforming, more steep) More interesting 2014-12-31_11.42.26.png
    Final: (and comparison of all three) Grander, will be more impressive on a larger scale. 2014-12-31_11.48.22.png
    (the third plot would be more interesting on a larger scale than the second plot, it looks the same/less interest only because its a small plot :) - if it was a big plot the second plot would look more boring)

If you see the flat parts of each build, even the third, there are still flat spots. However, (depending on the type of build, but to make it more interesting in general) you want to minimize that small flat area, so the gradient (Google the definition :p) is greater in all parts. It will make it more interesting, and adding hills and such will make it easier to fill the space. So, minimize the flat areas.

YounB likes this.
  8. marlutin

marlutin Member

Awesome, this should be pinned

9. Trickmaster

Trickmaster Member

It happened, but I am definitely not giving up on this thread. I will visit this in the future, so please do not comment on this thread until I finish it, and let this become a forgotten thread.
    That way, I can always come back to it and work on it when I'm interested again.

So, mods please don't lock as I will come back to this in the future, and let this become a forgotten thread.

Maceshank likes this.