1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skyblock detailed start-up guide

Discussion in 'SkyBlock' started by Snap, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Snap

Snap Mod Staff Member Moderator

This guide is specifically targeted towards new players.
    If you have a level of 100+, you'll find this guide useless, so please leave now if you're going to post something like "you're teaching people how to make a cobblestone generator.. sad". This guide might not be exactly what you veterans are looking for, so if your island level is significantly higher than just making farms, then this isn't a guide for you. But read it anyway :) With that said, enjoy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So. You have just started a new island and you actually have no idea what to do. What should be your first priority.
    Well, if i can tell you anything, it would be that you
    shouldn't use the challenges as a guide; they give very little information as to how to acquire these items required, but rather are just villagers; you give an item, and you get a different item in return.
    So the first thing you should do is smack the tree - don't worry about losing wood or saplings, as they can be re-obtained via /shop later on.
    Once you have this done, you should mine every single block of dirt until you're left with a floating chest, and a bedrock block.
    Now, use that wood that you got to expand. Don't forget to put your dirt in the chest for the time being, just incase you fall off the island in the process of expanding. Place a single bit of dirt and plant a sapling down. (Note that if you didn't actually obtain a sapling from your lone tree, you can head to skywars and win a game for points, then return to skyblock and do /shop and buy one)
    Continue to farm wood, and maybe buy bonemeal and/or saplings to speed up this process, continuing to farm wood.
    Once you have a large supply of wood, expand.
    Tip: If you find yourself falling into the void, quickly typing either /spawn or /is home will teleport you to the corresponding location, thus getting you out of the void and keeping you alive. Something to note however is that you can't take damage at spawn, so you will receive no fall damage upon teleporting there, so if your island is still tiny, you should do this instead of /is home, as you will die and your items may fall into the void.

Once you have expanded to a reasonable size, it's time to get tools. Wood isn't going to cut it at this point, so stone is your next best option. This however, will require what is frequently called a cobblestone generator, and is key to solo skyblock. Regardless of whether you're doing this solo or not, a cobblestone generator should be something that every island has, so make sure you get started on one ASAP.
    A guide for a cobblestone generator can be found here:

Tip: If you mess up and your cobblestone generator turns to obsidian and water, use your empty bucket on the obsidian block, and it will turn back to lava ;)
    So you have stone tools, dirt, a reasonably large island.. What next?
    The command /challenges, /c will work too, will show you the way :) You can work on farming cobble, sugarcane, pumpkin, or just getting levels. From here, skyblock is your design; do what you like.

Remember all that dirt that you got earlier? Well, start placing it all over the wood on your island to make a plains, where non-hostile mobs such as cows, chickens, pigs and sheep can spawn, as well as being able to make some fantastic farms that will sustain your food bars.
    Start farming vital food sources such as wheat and carrots to keep you on your feet, and work on farming a ton of cobblestone from the generator that you made earlier, to build a hostile mob spawner.
    2014-12-27_04.05.24.png

There are hundreds of tutorials for these with many different designs, some compact and some not. I'll let you choose which video you follow for this.

After this is done, you can do pretty much anything that you like, from making slime spawners to exploring the nether, and so on. You might also like to farm saplings to sell to get points, so that you can afford things like diamonds, enchantment tables and even more cobblestone. Try to clear challenges and level your island up, and soon enough you'll be good enough to take on players in pvp, explore the nether and make an iron farm.

Goodluck on your islands everyone, and try not to fall off it :p

2. NanoNet

NanoNet Member

I don't even play SB, but I know for god dang sure this is a good start up guide for people new to MC :) Pin this please :3

Snap likes this.
  3. MdsCool

MdsCool Member

Playing minecraft
    Will follow this when I go on MC. Am I a really big an nub so xD

Thanks for the guide, this does help me and some other players

Snap likes this.
  4. wuiliamb2

wuiliamb2 Member

Can you help me make a farm has iron please?

5. Snap

Here's a guide that you may like :)
    I didn't go into any detail with making iron farms because my friend made the one on our island, so i don't really have any experience with making them. Also, this is a beginner starting guide, and iron farms, unless you have a villager spawner, cross into the more intermediate contraptions.
    Good luck farming iron \o/

6. wuiliamb2

wuiliamb2 Member

Thank you very much @supercsnap

7. tiger101tiger

tiger101tiger Member

Random stuff
    This seems like a very good guide for beginners :)
    This, however, is not true. halothe23 turned the natural spawn rate of non-hostile mobs down to almost 0. you will actually need to complete challenges to get these spawn eggs. also, knowing the spawner recipe will help alot, because you wont have to use crops to breed them, and when a staff member does /clearlag the animals you have will go away, but the spawner will start spawning more ;)

8. PinkStr3ak

PinkStr3ak Member

Home Page:
    Great thread! I'll pin it. c:

Snap likes this.
  9. Snap

I for one have had animals spawn in my sheep pens, which are only about 8x8 recently, so they can still spawn, just not as easily. Yeah, spawners are definitely the most effective way of farming animals now.

10. marlutin

marlutin Member

[/QUOTE]I for one have had animals spawn in my sheep pens, which are only about 8x8 recently, so they can still spawn, just not as easily. Yeah, spawners are definitely the most effective way of farming animals now.[/QUOTE]
    I had a sheep spawner , I normally had my island on mushroom biome, so hostile mobs wouldn't spawn, my sheep spawner was on a 5x5 grass platform, like 3 mooshrooms had already spawned there

11. marlutin

marlutin Member

Sry for that quote, I accidentally erased the first [/QUOTE], so I tried to copy the second one, didn't turn out as expected

12. _Patrickk

_Patrickk Member

, so I tried to copy the second one, didn't turn out as expected[/QUOTE]
    Opening tags never have forward slash in them, but closing tags do.. I feel smart knowing dat :3 I used to do HTML, CSS, Javascript, Java and jQuery. ;3

drpepperdoge likes this.
  13. X_EpicM_X

X_EpicM_X Member

Student and Gamer :D
    Can you give a video on how to make a monster spawner because I did many of them and none of them work, pls make a vid or give me a vid

14. Snap

I wouldn't recommend making one of those anymore. Everybody seems to have actual spawners, so make it from those. Just have them spawn, then kill them, because with a giant spawner, you're going to get about 4 levels of xp in an hour, with all those bad spawn rates and all..

15. X_EpicM_X

X_EpicM_X Member

Student and Gamer :D
    thanks for the advic

16. Malcolm_

Malcolm_ Member

Student/Waiter
    That's actually the Tut I follow for Iron Farms, Nice thread Sup c;

Snap likes this.
  17. Marmalademan02 =)

Marmalademan02 =) Member

a jar of jam but with marmalade in insted of jam
    Good guide, couldn't have put it better my self

18. Marmalademan02 =)

Marmalademan02 =) Member

I use that iron farm

19. 6Godly

6Godly Member

on the hustle
    Thanks you :D I've been trying to play Skyblock, but I kept on failing...

20. Marmalademan02 =)

Marmalademan02 =) Member

You get used to it after time