Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
- Map name: Camping

- Creator(s) of map: SanCookie

- Description of map:

Hi there! This Lucky Islands map is based around the theme "camping". Not the kind of camping that is forbidden in the rules, but camping as in sleeping in a tent and having a good time around a campfire.
The map features 12 starter islands, each island contains 7 lucky blocks and a hidden iron block. The iron block is hidden below the six total hay bales, so when you break those blocks for food, you'll also see the iron block.
The sub-middle islands each contain 12 lucky blocks.
The middle islands each contain 6-10 lucky blocks.
I've made the map quite flat, to make fighting players and mobs easier. There is enough wood and stone to prepare yourself for a fight.
As you can see, there are torches scattered around the entire map. The torches enable the players to also see something at night.
I have used the internet to look how some other people built things, but tried to never copy anything.

If you want to see all of the pictures a little bit easier, here's an imgur album with the exact same pictures as attached to this message! I've tried to add as much pictures as possible in general.
https://imgur.com/a/mjSd0r7

Please vote in the poll based on how much you like the map, not on how much you like me.
Feedback, both positive and negative, is highly appreciated, I won't hate you if you post something negative about this map! (I'll probably like you more since you're brave enough to tell what's wrong with the map.)

Attachments

• map_top.png
    map_top.png
    686.9 KB · Views: 305
  • middle_island_in1.png
    middle_island_in1.png
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 271
  • middle_island_in2.png
    middle_island_in2.png
    723.2 KB · Views: 260
  • middle_island_in4.png
    middle_island_in4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 262
  • middle_island_in3.png
    middle_island_in3.png
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 246
  • middle_island_side2.png
    middle_island_side2.png
    1,013 KB · Views: 251
  • middle_island_side1.png
    middle_island_side1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 243
  • middle_island_side3.png
    middle_island_side3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 253
  • middle_island_side4.png
    middle_island_side4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 251
  • middle_island_top.png
    middle_island_top.png
    2 MB · Views: 255
  • starter_island_side.png
    starter_island_side.png
    457.6 KB · Views: 246
  • starter_island_in.png
    starter_island_in.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 243
  • starter_island_top.png
    starter_island_top.png
    968.8 KB · Views: 252
  • sub-middle_island_in.png
    sub-middle_island_in.png
    837.5 KB · Views: 241
  • sub-middle_island_side.png
    sub-middle_island_side.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 241
  • sub-middle_island_top.png
    sub-middle_island_top.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 251
Last edited:

CatLoverSupreme

Novice Member
Jun 1, 2019
Alaska
- Map name: Camping

- Creator(s) of map: SanCookie

- Description of map:

Hi there! This Lucky Islands map is based around the theme "camping". Not the kind of camping that is forbidden in the rules, but camping as in sleeping in a tent and having a good time around a campfire.
The map features 12 starter islands, each island contains 7 lucky blocks and a hidden iron block. The iron block is hidden below the six total hay bales, so when you break those blocks for food, you'll also see the iron block.
The sub-middle islands each contain 12 lucky blocks.
The middle islands each contain 6-10 lucky blocks.
I've made the map quite flat, to make fighting players and mobs easier. There is enough wood and stone to prepare yourself for a fight.
As you can see, there are torches scattered around the entire map. The torches enable the players to also see something at night.
I have used the internet to look how some other people built things, but tried to never copy anything.

If you want to see all of the pictures a little bit easier, here's an imgur album with the exact same pictures as attached to this message! I've tried to add as much pictures as possible in general.
https://imgur.com/a/7jv2SdJ

Please vote in the poll based on how much you like the map, not on how much you like me.
Feedback, both positive and negative, is highly appreciated, I won't hate you if you post something negative about this map! (I'll probably like you more since you're brave enough to tell what's wrong with the map.)

I really like this map! I really like that the middle is different on each side. Very creative! Only issue I see is remove the water as it makes for terrible PvP and then you have a map!

(Replace water with glass maybe?) If you use the Garden map from Egg Wars as an example, you can see they used layers of glass with different colors and then wool at the bottom. Might even look better that way instead of random blue and white colors mixed on the surface.

Reactions: SanCookie

Priley

Forum Professional
Jul 6, 2015
reprotland
Yes yes yes! Pure quality!

The only thing I dislike, but it's mainly my personal preference, I'm not a fan of the path blocks. I always prefer paths to consist out of andesite mixed with gravel, stone and some buttons on top :p

Other than that, the dense trees may or may not cause 'camping' (gotemmm), and the cobblestone walls may be a bit tedious while running away from a fight and not being able to because of it, but in general, amazing!

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
I really like this map! I really like that the middle is different on each side. Very creative! Only issue I see is remove the water as it makes for terrible PvP and then you have a map!

(Replace water with glass maybe?) If you use the Garden map from Egg Wars as an example, you can see they used layers of glass with different colors and then wool at the bottom. Might even look better that way instead of random blue and white colors mixed on the surface.
Oh thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

I added the water because Lucky Islands maps tend to have real water instead of “fake water”, so I went for that! I’m guessing that this is true because Lucky Islands isn’t all about pvp but rather surviving for most people. I’ll think about it tho!

Not a stolen map, amazing!
100% this should be added
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

Yes yes yes! Pure quality!

The only thing I dislike, but it's mainly my personal preference, I'm not a fan of the path blocks. I always prefer paths to consist out of andesite mixed with gravel, stone and some buttons on top :p

Other than that, the dense trees may or may not cause 'camping' (gotemmm), and the cobblestone walls may be a bit tedious while running away from a fight and not being able to because of it, but in general, amazing!
When you switch your options, you’ll eventually have an option where leaves from trees are almost see through, so you’d easily be seen in a tree :)

I felt that the path block could be used as an indication of where people have walked, or where stuff was “carried” (like heavy wooden logs maybe).

About the cobblestone walls; I haven’t placed a lot of them mainly because of the reason you mentioned, but I really felt like they added a great detail for a mountain.

Thanks for the feedback, it’s always appreciated!

Ohh woow! I really love ittt
Thank you! :)

Reactions: CatLoverSupreme

Basketman

Forum Expert
Jan 28, 2015
Belgium
It looks gorgeous.

Okey you can be honest towards me. How much money did you spend to buy this map? Because it must come from a prof builder team :p.

I should give you a cookie for this.

FireExcalibur10

Forum Expert
Jul 3, 2016
Andromeda
Remember blocks must be under 1.9 as the server does not support 1.8+ blocks. Islands look fine but I feel they are quite simple. Mid is not properly for pvp as it has several blocks at the center of it. Edge islands are very separate between the others. In one island you put too much trees and there's no room for pvp there. As for the water, I would recommend to replace it for a light palette of several blue stained glass. Starter islands are too detailed and can be perjudicial for pvp. For the rest is okay.

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Remember blocks must be under 1.9 as the server does not support 1.8+ blocks.
I built in on Minecraft 1.9 since I was allowed to do so, but now that you say so, Lucky Islands also is a game that gets featured on 1.8
Islands look fine but I feel they are quite simple.
I didn't want to make the design too complex, from experience I've found out that people don't recognise complex designs and just don't see the purpose of the build.
Mid is not properly for pvp as it has several blocks at the center of it.
I see what you mean by this, there certainly are some flat areas but there also are places where pvp would feel uncomfortable.
Edge islands are very separate between the others.
It's 15 blocks from each other and 8 blocks from the sub-middle, I didn't want people to rush others because getting rushed in a game isn't a very pleasing experience.
In one island you put too much trees and there's no room for pvp there.
I should have thought about this a little bit more, my conclusion was that camping includes a forest, which is what I built but I totally forgot the pvp aspect!
As for the water, I would recommend to replace it for a light palette of several blue stained glass.
Like I said above, water in Lucky Islands maps is quite common, and it never bothered me. I guess this could be an annoying thing in Skywars/Duels/Eggwars, but in Lucky Islands it feels fine. There are some other maps that feature water as well, so I might keep the water there.
Starter islands are too detailed and can be perjudicial for pvp. For the rest is okay.
What's too detailed about it? There is a little rock for stone, hay bales for food, a tree for wood, a little pond, a campfire and a tent.

Thanks for all of the feedback, it's nice to hear what a professional builder (If I may call you like that) thinks of this map!

Reactions: FireExcalibur10

FireExcalibur10

Forum Expert
Jul 3, 2016
Andromeda
I built in on Minecraft 1.9 since I was allowed to do so, but now that you say so, Lucky Islands also is a game that gets featured on 1.8

I didn't want to make the design too complex, from experience I've found out that people don't recognise complex designs and just don't see the purpose of the build.

I see what you mean by this, there certainly are some flat areas but there also are places where pvp would feel uncomfortable.

It's 15 blocks from each other and 8 blocks from the sub-middle, I didn't want people to rush others because getting rushed in a game isn't a very pleasing experience.

I should have thought about this a little bit more, my conclusion was that camping includes a forest, which is what I built but I totally forgot the pvp aspect!

Like I said above, water in Lucky Islands maps is quite common, and it never bothered me. I guess this could be an annoying thing in Skywars/Duels/Eggwars, but in Lucky Islands it feels fine. There are some other maps that feature water as well, so I might keep the water there.

What's too detailed about it? There is a little rock for stone, hay bales for food, a tree for wood, a little pond, a campfire and a tent.

Thanks for all of the feedback, it's nice to hear what a professional builder (If I may call you like that) thinks of this map!
Well idk if I am a professional but thanks I guess haha. Do not give up and keep going!

Simply

Forum Expert
Jul 12, 2017
Beyond the Fourth Wall
Sorry but I'll have to say no. Mainly because the layout of the four middle islands is very inefficient for PvP. Imagine you qnd another player are on opposing corners of the middle islands. If you try to get to him, he can just start running circles. Plus, you can't knock him off because the bridges have fence railings.
Also, the build quality is very low. Especially the trees. With just one custom tree design rotated aroundathis would be looking far better than it is now.
Keep building maps tgoufh, you have some very good potential.

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Sorry but I'll have to say no. Mainly because the layout of the four middle islands is very inefficient for PvP. Imagine you qnd another player are on opposing corners of the middle islands. If you try to get to him, he can just start running circles.
Indeed! I understand what you are trying to say. But you can easily block off the bridge.
Plus, you can't knock him off because the bridges have fence railings.
If he is running, he'll not be on the bridge forever, right?
Also, the build quality is very low. Especially the trees. With just one custom tree design rotated aroundathis would be looking far better than it is now.
Keep building maps tgoufh, you have some very good potential.
I didn't want the map to be too complex as mentioned above, because people have to simply see what I've build, which isn't always the case in complex buildings.

Thanks a lot for the feedback though! This way I can keep improving myself!

CatLoverSupreme

Novice Member
Jun 1, 2019
Alaska
Indeed! I understand what you are trying to say. But you can easily block off the bridge.

If he is running, he'll not be on the bridge forever, right?

I didn't want the map to be too complex as mentioned above, because people have to simply see what I've build, which isn't always the case in complex buildings.

Thanks a lot for the feedback though! This way I can keep improving myself!

Any updates on the map?

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi there!

I took some time out of my day to fix the issues about this map!

Only issue I see is remove the water as it makes for terrible PvP and then you have a map!
As for the water, I would recommend to replace it for a light palette of several blue stained glass.
I’ve decided to not change the water on the starter and sub-middle islands. The reason that I have not changed the water for blocks is because, like I said, water isn’t that big of an issue on Lucky Islands. I’ve played quite a lot of Lucky Islands and it never bothered me. I also have never seen anyone complaining about the water. (To make sure that this is true, I checked my chat log text file which has been logging my chat for about 1,5 years.)
I have tried to change the top row of the water for glass, but that made the map look significantly worse as you can see in the picture below. I also tried mixing different kinds of stained glass into the mix, which looked even worse.
MAP_WATER1.png
MAP_WATER2.png

After that, I tried to fill up the entire pool of water with stained glass, which again, looked worse than when there is water. The plants in and around the water couldn’t stay because obviously, they needed water.
MAP_WATER3.png
MAP_WATER4.png

There is also quite a lot of water on other Lucky Islands maps, as you can see on these (older, but still relevant) pictures:
OLD_WATER_MAP1.png
OLD_WATER_MAP2.png
OLD_WATER_MAP3.png
OLD_WATER_MAP4.png

Other than that, the dense trees may or may not cause 'camping' (gotemmm)
In one island you put too much trees and there's no room for pvp there.
The trees on one of the middle islands was probably the thing most people didn’t like, so I’ve entirely removed that island and redone it. There are much fewer trees now. Those trees also are way higher so it’s easier to run around in the forest. Someone also said that there were too much lucky blocks in the forest, so I’ve removed some. I’ve used a new tree design but didn’t rotate it around because that would look kind of boring in my opinion. Here is the new design.
TREES_ISLAND1.png
TREES_ISLAND2.png
TREES_ISLAND3.png

and the cobblestone walls may be a bit tedious while running away from a fight and not being able to because of it, but in general, amazing!

I assume you’re talking about the middle island, because any other island doesn’t have as much cobblestone walls as this one, so I removed some of them. Here is how the hill looks now.
MIDDLE_HILL1.png

The only thing I dislike, but it's mainly my personal preference, I'm not a fan of the path blocks. I always prefer paths to consist out of andesite mixed with gravel, stone and some buttons on top
clip_image001.png
On one of the middle islands, the one with the forest, I’ve changed up the path to make it look more like a forest path. Hopefully this might look better.
TREES_ISLAND3.png

Remember blocks must be under 1.9 as the server does not support 1.8+ blocks.
The only block that could be an issue here is the path block, but I asked Efcluke what the version must be when building a map on his profile, and he replied to me on Discord saying this:

EFCLUKE.png

So I guess that I’m fine. I wouldn’t mind changing some path blocks if it is needed though!

Mid is not properly for pvp as it has several blocks at the center of it.

There are still a lot of flat areas. If the middle had to be any more flat, I’d feel like I’d be in a superflat world.

Edge islands are very separate between the others.

This stimulates you to go to the middle a little bit more. You don’t want to get rushed by your neighbours early in the game, because that ruins the game sometimes.

Starter islands are too detailed and can be perjudicial for pvp. For the rest is okay.

Islands look fine but I feel they are quite simple.

“Too detailed” and “quite simple” feel like that contradicts each other. I went for a simple design anyways since that may also look good on its own way. Hopefully with the new changes, it will look better in your opinion. (See a summary of the changes on the bottom of this reply.)

Mainly because the layout of the four middle islands is very inefficient for PvP. Imagine you qnd another player are on opposing corners of the middle islands. If you try to get to him, he can just start running circles.

It’s quite easy to block off/blow up/destroy the bridge, so your opponent can’t run anymore.

Plus, you can't knock him off because the bridges have fence railings.

If he’s running, he wouldn’t stand still on the bridge anyways, but imagine having a bridge fight; I have tried running around on those bridges and it’s pretty easy to fall off. There are a lot of spots where you can fall off where there still are fences because those fences (fence gates) are on an equal level as the bridge itself.
With this reason, and the reason mentioned above, I’ve decided to not change the bridge designs.

END RESULT:
-Nothing changed about the water.
-Nothing changed about the bridges.
-The forest middle island got an entire overhaul.
-Removed some cobblestone walls from the stone middle island.
-Removed some lucky blocks from the stone middle island.

The pictures of the thread have been updated!

SanCookie

Gameplay Engineer
Team CubeCraft
🖌️ Sr. Designer
Mar 18, 2017
the selfie area
bit.ly
Pronouns
He/Him
Amazing! but the only thing dont we need some food in the mid? like on every mid island 5 blocks?
That's a great idea! I'm adding it right now, thanks for the suggestion!

Here are the places where I've added them:
(The first screenshot has Shaders, but you get the point, there aren't any major improvements.)
2019-07-03_13.53.03.png
2019-07-03_15.28.27.png
2019-07-03_15.29.25.png
2019-07-03_15.30.42.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

UncleSpect wrote on Egg🥚's profile.
Happy birthday! 🎈
Desiderata wrote on savina875's profile.
thabks 4 folow
UncleSpect wrote on Casualpoalrbear's profile.
hoiii cas bearr
UncleSpect wrote on Gokhan_'s profile.
thank you for the follow! 🎈
Casualpoalrbear wrote on Frontlane's profile.
That's an interesting tag in your name.
Top Bottom