Minecraft PC IP: play.cubecraft.net
This discussion focuses on EggWars, try to stay on topic!

What do you think of the newly revamped EggWars shop?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vkonmcpro

Nov 26, 2020
The new shop just hurts my brain. Before I get there, let me just say that I enjoy all the other changes like the quick play menu and stuff but the new eggwars shop is just bad. First of all, it's very buggy and laggy, it takes a long time for me (a pc player) to get a couple of blocks. Also it overloads my screen and makes everything lag. Also, if it takes a PC player long enough in the shop, it would be torture for a controller player or mobile (not much but well). Also the eggwars shop in the normal lobby (not beta) is also for some reason really buggy too, they made it occupy my whole screen and that is something I really don't like. So Cubecraft, please listen and make eggwars like the great game it was before.

Also cubecraft, i recommend never updating eggwars coz then the community will hit you like hell, think about it, every eggwars update has received a lot of criticism and has led to many people quitting. Please make eggwars the simple and easy to understand game it once was.

Oct 13, 2021
NOTE: Before voting on the poll, please read the entire thread!

Hey CubeCrafters!

As seen in this thread, we’ve released the EggWars Beta for a newly revamped shop! We’re wanting to potentially implement this into the main gamemode and would like to gauge feedback. You’ll be prompted for feedback when your EggWars game finishes, but also, you can give feedback in-game by typing /eggwars feedback. You can vote every 24 hours, in case your opinion changes.

We’ll be monitoring this feedback very closely, and cannot wait to see what you think of the new menus!

If you have any concerns, any form of feedback or any suggestions for alterations, feel free to respond to this thread & vote on the poll if you would or wouldn’t like the new shop in the main gamemode.

We expect you to play a couple of games before voting on this poll- this is important as this will potentially change the landscape of EggWars forever!

Thanks everyone, if you have any questions feel free to comment below! :heart:
This is a solid menu but one this is that when I open the menu nearly 50% of the time I wanna go to the fav tab so could you make it so that when u open the menu the fav tab automatically opens?

Murvon

Oct 16, 2020
Hong Kong
I like the new menu, but it's literally impossible to use on a mobile device. You can't see the amount of the item nor the price without actually tapping onto it, which buys the item.

Also, there's a problem that exists here (as well as any server that supports custom menus, like the new menus on the Hive), if you right click an item/npc (e.g. eggwars shop), you have to touch and hold down to perform a right click. When the menu opens, the button nearest to your finger will by default be selected, and once you release your finger, it thinks I pressed the button.

Sorry if that was a bit hard to understand, but mobile controls are simply pain.

Reactions: chris crock

chris crock

Mar 11, 2021
my main problems rn is its laggy and buying armor takes way to long. also i play on controller and i wish it placed ur item selector on the first item so it would buy easyer to mass buy things like block i also find my self also not being to tell where it is bc i didnt see where it started.

chris crock

Mar 11, 2021
one thing that i saw some one say that i think is really smart is that when/if it gets released that you can choose which shop ui you want to use if u prefer the old one since it mite also mess wit peoples muscle memory

Siker7

Jan 30, 2022
Hey! It's really cool, but I don't think it needs to be animated, this is laggy (Or add an option Animated UI On/Off)
The animations are the default for all menus in Minecraft in general. There is a setting to disable menu animations in Minecraft's accessibility settings, but it doesn't get rid of the baked-in delay. Sadly, I doubt there is anything Cubecraft can do about this currently (Note: I am not on the Cubecraft team and this is just speculation).

• Angry
Reactions: Herbubulle

Herbubulle

Jul 3, 2020
The JOJOLands
www.youtube.com
Pronouns
He/Him
The animations are the default for all menus in Minecraft in general. There is a setting to disable menu animations in Minecraft's accessibility settings, but it doesn't get rid of the baked-in delay. Sadly, I doubt there is anything Cubecraft can do about this currently (Note: I am not on the Cubecraft team and this is just speculation).
I wasn't talking about this

Siker7

Jan 30, 2022
I can't really speak for mobile players, as I play exclusively on desktop. This means the UI is slightly different and I experience zero delay in the menu beyond the delay that Mojang has baked into opening menus in the base game. However, my issues with the UI are the same no matter what platform we’re talking about.

The new UI looks nice, but it misses the mark when it comes to efficiently fixing the issues that the current UI has. Along with that, there are some issues that are exclusive to the new UI that I’d like to cover.

There was a lot, so I split it into sections that explain each problem and possible solutions in depth. Just click on the section to open it.

The problem with organization is most apparent in the Armor menu, where bundles have all been moved to the very bottom. This is a problem because when they select the menu, players see this:

Armor.png

From what I’ve seen in the thread so far, many players (especially mobile players), assume that because the bundles aren’t next to their respective armor types, they simply don’t exist. The obvious fix is to move them up, but that comes with complications that didn’t exist in the old UI, which had a single column. The first solution most people will think of is moving the bundles so that they’re to the left of their respective individual pieces, kind of like this:

Armor0.png

Of course, if you went with this solution you’d have to make the UI have five columns. The issue with this is that the four-column design is good. Having four columns makes it so the menu selection and the menus themselves each take up half the menu’s window. The window is at a good size (not too big, not too small), and the icons are the right size to be tapped on or clicked on easily without too much risk of clicking an option you weren’t aiming for, all while being the same height as the menu selector icons, so you really don’t want to change any of that. The four-column layout also works well for the Archery and Building Blocks menus with the current options available; because of this, I don’t think adding another column is a good way to insert the bundles.

So, what other solutions are there? Well, if you move them so that they’re each before or after their respective armor pieces, you get something like this:

Armor1.png

That doesn’t really work either, for obvious reasons. So what about just moving all the bundles to the top? It’s the main way players buy armor anyway, so it shouldn’t be much of an issue. In Overpowered Mode (the mode that people are playing in most often) it looks fine, but in Normal and Hardcore modes (where some types of armor are excluded), we have the same wrapping issue as earlier:

Armor3.png
Armor4.png

At this point, you might be wondering why I’m assuming that the icons would be ordered left to right, top to bottom, causing all these issues. Can’t the Eggwars team just leave blank spaces in weaker modes, like this?

Armor5.png

And now we’ve gotten to the real heart of the issue: in the current version of the UI, I believe that it’s not possible to leave blank, unused spaces in the middle of a menu. I could be wrong, though. If this is the case, to give themselves more flexibility in how they organize the menu Cubecraft must make it so that the menu allows for blank or locked slots in modes where the organization would be messed up in this way without slots existing in certain locations. The best way to do this probably involves using 2d arrays instead of just a regular array to store the different items' data so that you can control exactly where the items show up, leaving any null entry with a blank space (not an empty box, but no box at all).
There is an inconsistency in the design language of the shop that, if addressed, would go a long way to help useability. Some of the menus are organized in rows, and some into columns, while some have little to no organization at all.

First, here are the menus that are organized into rows:

Armor.png
Food.png

Then, you have Building Blocks, which is organized in columns, and Archery, which is rows for the most part, but has a column to help keep it look nice in the four-wide arrangement:

Building Blocks Top.png
Archery.png

Finally, you have the menus with no visual organization whatsoever:

Miscellaneous.png
Tools.png
Weapons.png

In my opinion, most of these can be greatly improved to the benefit of useability if you prioritize rows, for multiple reasons. First, if you organize in rows then any sub-category will be entirely on-screen at any one time. This also helps with future-proofing, in case you would like to add more items in the future. Just to show how this would look, here's the Building Blocks and Miscellaneous menus with this core design decision in mind, as well as some other changes that I will explain:

BuildingBlocks0.png
Miscellaneous0.png

The first thing that should be noted is that while rows should be used for sets of items, exceptions can be made like in the case of Building Blocks. The three options for buying each material are enough; adding a fourth would make the menu bloated with too many ways to buy the same exact item. With the empty space to the right you can place the special building materials, taking a little inspiration for how the archery menu is handled (I love the Archery menu, by the way. Don't change the layout). However, this column is on the right (as opposed to on the left, like the Archery menu) because the player is less likely to want those materials. In the same vein, Obsidian is much more important and likely to be used, so it should be in sight as soon as the menu is opened, no scrolling required. In my experience, very few people use haybales even though they are above obsidian in the current non-beta UI, so they can be put in a place that requires the player to scroll down a little.

Now let's cover the changes to the Miscellaneous menu. First, the ladder does not belong in this menu, as this is not where people would look if they were trying to find ladders, so it has been moved to the Building Blocks menu (conveniently making that menu more filled out and nice-looking). Second, categories are prioritized over price. The top row is utility items, with chests together on the right because they aren't used as frequently as pearls and tracker compasses. Next, items specifically designed for attack are in the second row, ordered from least expensive to most expensive. Finally, special movement items that require emeralds to purchase have their own row. You can organize this menu in a couple of different ways (I actually went through a few versions before settling on this one), just make sure that the items are grouped in a way that makes sense based on how the player will use them.

The worst-looking menus also happen to be the hardest to fix. Namely, the Weapons and Tools categories. These menus are sparse, so it's not easy to improve them individually. This gets harder when you consider that Hardcore mode takes some of these away (or possibly keeps the slots but locks them, if you implement my suggestion from the section on the Armor menu). In situations like this, ideas that seem crazy at first can turn out to be just what you need. Case in point, here's a picture of both the Weapons and Tools menus combined:

Tools & Weapons.png

Note that one of the diamond pickaxes is gone because you really don't need five different types of diamond pickaxes. I'm not sure which one would be the best to remove, but I do know that one of them can be removed. This layout has the added benefit of having a column available for adding future tools and weapons (possibly things like fishing rod, axe, and knockback stick).

In my opinion, Archery and Food are perfect as they are, though you might consider getting rid of the Power V bow in normal mode.
Something that has become obvious reading the feedback thread is that performance is a real issue with this new UI. This is not a new issue, and it's not an issue restricted to only lower-end devices. Even if you're using a higher-end device, the menu is constantly resetting every time you buy anything, making it very irritating to try and get large quantities of, for example, obsidian or slowness arrows in the old UI. Because the menu is constantly redrawing completely from the ground up to match changes in the amount of stuff the player has, and because this new UI is very complicated, a large amount of lag is felt on lower-end devices.

This would likely be fixed if you overhauled the menu to stay open even while the player is buying stuff. I have no idea if that's possible or how complicated it would be, but it's a real problem that has to be fixed. If there are no means available to create clean menus that don't close all the time, please get in contact with Mojang's Bedrock team and try to work out a solution. That's how serious this is, and you will never be able to implement this new UI until it's addressed.
The new UI is really bad at telling you what you're buying. There are three important pieces of information that must be telegraphed to the player: Quantity, Cost, and Effect. On desktop, you have to mouse over it to see, and the text blends into the background. Please display enchant level/type, quantity, and price on the icon somehow. I may edit in some pictures of examples of how to fix this later.

This covers the majority of my issues with the new UI and my suggestions to fix them. I have some ideas for how the favorites menu should look, but I can't even figure out how to find and open it on desktop and I don't feel like photoshopping the whole thing from scratch. I spent hours putting all this together, hope it was worth the effort.

Attachments

• Building Blocks Top.png
    Building Blocks Top.png
    392.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Archery.png
    Archery.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Armor0.png
    Armor0.png
    301.8 KB · Views: 75

l54q

Mar 3, 2022
It’s too laggy and it’s hard to buy stuff.
In the original for the shop is too good I can buy really fast with it and I can get all I need in the beginning of the game like in 10 sec.
I wish if you changed the new shop Make the blocks the same as the original arrangement.
❤️

applecrust65

Jun 3, 2021

Hey CubeCrafters!

As seen in this thread, we’ve released the EggWars Beta for a newly revamped shop! We’re wanting to potentially implement this into the main gamemode and would like to gauge feedback. You’ll be prompted for feedback when your EggWars game finishes, but also, you can give feedback in-game by typing /eggwars feedback. You can vote every 24 hours, in case your opinion changes.

We’ll be monitoring this feedback very closely, and cannot wait to see what you think of the new menus!

If you have any concerns, any form of feedback or any suggestions for alterations, feel free to respond to this thread & vote on the poll if you would or wouldn’t like the new shop in the main gamemode.

We expect you to play a couple of games before voting on this poll- this is important as this will potentially change the landscape of EggWars forever!

This new layout is amazing! But imho, every item slot should have a tiny number beneat (like the inventory and hotbar) to indicate the amount of blocks we’re purchasing. Good job though!

angelgab64

Mar 4, 2022
La verdad no me gusto el nuevo menĂş porque juego en Nintendo Switch y hay un error que no deja ver las imágenes de Cubecraft y me costo mucho jugar con este menĂş a pesar de que gane XD y Estaba más acostumbrado al menĂş antiguo porque no salĂ­a el menĂş es muy lento pero estĂ©ticamente se ve bien pero le doy un 2/10​

KvotheRuh

Mar 4, 2022
Pronouns
He/She/They
The new shop UI looks nice. But its more difficult to navigate to get item quickly. It'll be a lot more risky to use shop now if you're being rushed so it'll make people stressed too early in the game and not have fun. The shop ui is laggy and clumped together. The armor bundles are at the bottom and really annoying to scroll too. If the layout was changed to be easier for navigation it could work really well. I'm not sure if the delay of buying item can be fixed but it'll be great if it can. A pro of the shop ui is that it shows whether you have enough material to buy something so you don't try getting something you can't.

GeoJosh7

Feb 25, 2021
Australia
Pronouns
He/Him
I'll mention some things playing this update a week later

- Way to Laggy to Open - Times need to be cut down
Although this still happens, the seems to have been slightly fixed, which is good

- The menu opens too far down the controller
This is worse than it was before, It opens 5 down instead of 3

- Bundles too hard to buy
Same issue - No change

- Show the number of blocks you are buying
No Change

- Custom textures for items that show up more than once

- Bow then arrow in textures, And weakness and slowness arrow textures don't show up

Fixed

- Show the number of resources we have in favourite items,
No Change

- Move the Favourite maps section to where the food bundle is currently
Only a QOL Change but think it needed

Some Positives, Although the shop opening too far down, is a major downside that throws me off too much - to the point where the update is negative.

broricharddixon

Novice Member
Aug 8, 2020

Hey CubeCrafters!

Typical cubecraft, fixing things that don't need fixing

Rusted Jack

Apr 11, 2021
Hello,

While I believe this new layout has potential, it is not quite there. While I like the reduced scrolling within each category, I would like to see less scrolling to get to each category. Additionally, it would be nice to have more item slots within the quick purchase category. I also miss the display of your resource totals present in the old shop. Finally, for newer players or anyone in general, it might be more intuitive to display the price on each item slot rather than having to hover over it. Thank you for your continued development efforts on the server.

Reactions: gatorboi420

ProfParzival

May 6, 2019
London, UK
www.youtube.com
Cube staff are certainly to be commended on continually striving to improve each mini-game, that's for sure.

Regarding the new Eggwars shop...

1) Most important - Improve Speed
The delay for items to appear in the shop each time.. as others have mentioned it's way way way too slow. I know an admin mentioned that this was likely the area that will be looked at most but I feel it's 100% the most important aspect of the shop that it's as snappy and fast to use as possible.

2) Possible to remove Baked in delay?
I've often wondered why the shop always closes then re-opens every single time you select something (even if you don't have enough to buy something).. if there was any way that this could be avoided it would MASSIVELY improve the whole experience. It works on other servers - notably Bedwars, though they use inventory for the shop so that might be the reason it doesn't close / reopen every time an item is purchased. Related: If an item isn't available the shop should just beep or something rather than close / reopen. it's been a bugbear on the old menu also since forever.

3) Allow Player to Select Shop Mode
Given that you can run both menus at once on Cube (eg you're running old menu in current eggwars and new menu in beta lobby servers), would it not be optimal to introduce a setting to select between the two rather than force everyone to use the new one? If you were clever you could "sell" this as a performance option or mode.. eg..

Shop Settings
[ ] Normal Mode[X] Performance Mode
Regular shop menu with shop iconsShop Optimised for Speed
Great for: Mobile players and Regular PlayersGreat for: Rush Players and Scrim Players

Performance Mode equally be called: "Scrim mode", "Performance Mode", "OP Mode" etc.

I know you'd have to maintain two menus but then perhaps if it's costing time and money add it only as an option if you have Eggwars Rank.. one of the additional perks. Maybe add a few extra mine coins on to the rank to cover it for example.. I'm sure most wouldn't mind as it would make the rank even more worth having.

Failing that just "Normal Mode" and "Classic Mode" for new and old shop.

4) Layout Improvements
The layout of items such as armour needs to be improved..The bundles need to be above or better placed to be accessible than individual items. Chango nailed it.. https://www.cubecraft.net/threads/🥚-eggwars-beta-feedback-thread.306092/#post-1422690

5) Add more favourite items to fill out the space
I agree with DapDaps suggestion to better utilise the additional available space for favourites by adding more...doing so would also mitigate some of the "lag" related issues for scrim and rush players of more items would available to load out in favorites.

6) Optimise Items
Devs should go through each menu one by one to ensure that more commonly bought items in each category are more easily selectable than less common items.

7) Test it on all Inputs
As others have mentioned the menu layout could be very disadvantageous to Controller players and I'd like the Devs to take that into account and try to improve it as controller players are already at a significant advantage against KBM players so adding to that would upset controller players.

8) It's pretty bad for VR
It's way less important due to the fact that I'm in a tiny minority of VR players but the new shop is a nightmare on VR given that it closes each time you buy something. Every item you buy, as the shop temporarily, closes each time you click something... in VR when it reopens because the thing you've clicked is to the right of the center the entire shop moves/adjusts to a new center each time you buy something.

So when using the shop I'm actually moving in a circle 360 and well... Cubecraft, if I keep going by the end of a game the VR cord will be completely wrapped around my neck and you'll have to be held accountable for killing your VR player base (ok.. prob just me) ;-)

Ok though, seriously I know you're not likely to even bother looking at this for such a small player base and why would you, but if you really did want to make it a big-time better for VR users, then the option to switch back to the old menus would be very, very welcome. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to get used to not being able to breathe by the end of a scrim/game.

Suboptimal but I'll give me some new video ideas at least. "I passed out while playing this game of egg wars and almost died". "Rescued while playing a scrim after passer-by gives CPR". Hmm.. I'm thinking of the watchtime and views!!

gatorboi420

Mar 15, 2022
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch player here.
(New account, but I've been playing CubeCraft since 2020.)

Quite honestly I preferred the layout/menu we have now before it was changed.

The beta menu is crowded, and a lot of guess work goes into it considering how long it takes to load.

Mobile and console players I can imagine are going to have big issues with this, as seen previously in this thread.

I appreciate the work that's been put into this, but I'm personally not a fan.

As said previously, I agree with the ideas that the amount of the item you're buying should be labeled clearly, and the armour bundles should be at the top if this new layout is going to stay.

Reactions: Bnc_ and SoloWarz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members Online

Team online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

we want cubecraft 2023 :(
This is YOUR daily dose of facts #40-
Walt Disney currently holds the most Academy Awards. Till now, Disney won 26 Oscars. Disney is nominated a grand total of 59 times!
Eli wrote on Xi1m's profile.
Thanks for the follow!!!
Eli
"What say you?" said he, the abyss did not respond back.
Top Bottom